Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macatt
May 3, 2005
I just found out about Google Domains being sold off to Squarespace. I'm not well versed in this stuff. My needs are wildcard email forwarding (using just the domain name, no hosting package) and private registration.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the recommendations. Namecheap, NameSilo, NearlyFreeSpeech, Cloudflare, Fabulous, Dynadot, WordPress, Porkbun. It seems like they're all fairly comparable in most respects. Should I just figure out which ones offer catch-all forwarding, then select based on prices?

Macatt fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Thanks, Cloudflare does look to be the easiest and cheapest route for my email needs. However, I neglected to mention that I also have a separate domain name pointing to an actual site. And I guess Cloudflare doesn't allow changing nameservers without upgrading to a business plan.

So what I'm thinking is maybe using Cloudflare for my email-forwarding domain, and someone else for my site's domain. This might also possibly address an issue I've been wondering about -- which email provider should you use for actually registering a domain (both your account with the registrar and the whois contact email)?

I imagine it's unwise to use email@yourdomain.tld for registering yourdomain.tld ... but I'm also seeing people say not to use free email accounts either. Would using two registrars and cross-listing an email address from each be good practice?

Macatt fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 18, 2023

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Awesome, thank you so much for that detailed breakdown. I feel good about this now. :cheers:

Macatt
May 3, 2005
I've only just started tinkering with my new Cloudflare setup, but I'm really liking everything about it so far. Big thanks to Rufus for the recommendation. At this point I wouldn't go back to Google Domains even if I could.

To be fair, much of what they offer is actually available just by using their free DNS services, regardless of if they're your registrar. Even the email forwarding function I was so concerned about, I had that working before transferring my domain (which minimized my downtime to just a few minutes).

Since you just renewed at GoDaddy, though, it's my understanding that when you pay to transfer your domain, you'll forfeit your additional year of renewal (because it was already renewed in the last 45 days). So you'll have to contact GoDaddy and request a refund for one of those seven years of renewal.