Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

flyboi posted:

I work for singlehop and we have 2 other goons on board why are we not listed <:mad:>

I'll jump on this bandwagon too and mention that I work for HostDime (as well as SurpassHosting), along with a few other goons. Can we get added to the OP as well? HostDime does Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, and Colocated Servers out of our main Orlando, FL Datacenter as well as our 6 other locations throughout the world. Surpass Hosting (surpasshosting.com) does Shared, Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated via our Orlando Datacenter as well as our space in the UK.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

atastypie posted:

Can someone recommend a windows reseller provider? Host Dime is goon run, but are those prices as good as I'm going to be able to get? I only need ~2GB of space and ~20GB of transfer with no plan on expanding.

Sorry for the delay on responding to this but I can explain slightly why our prices are a bit higher. HostDime is a more unique host because we own and operate our own Datacenter and do all support (from level 1 to network operations) in house, meaning absolutely no outsourcing at all. We also have 24/7/365 phone/live chat/ticket support with responses within 20 minutes normally. We aren't the cheapest host on the market but we are one of the most unique in the fact that we are completely self-sufficient and do not rely on other companies nor venture capital to move forward. If you have any other questions or need a coupon code to start up your account, let me know and I can defiantly work something out for you :)

Full disclosure: I am the Support Manager at HostDime and run all Support Operations for the Company, from level 1 to 3.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

a llama posted:

its manny!

Dennis actually :) I am curious how you know Manny though.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Windows VPS? The caveats are that we need maybe a hundred IPs for sites we've got with SSL right now, and a decent amount of hard drive space and bandwidth. I'm extremely tired of managing my own hardware, but sadly the legacy sites I need to keep running are ColdFusion and it just works best on Windows.

I'll go ahead and pimp my own company here. We just started running Windows VPS recently and has been a rousing success thus far. We run our Windows VPS servers off a Xen based architecture with a massive SAN backend for storage. You can check out our plans here:

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/vps/windows/

We also do Windows Dedicated Servers as well that are managed by us (hardware wise) that you can check out here:

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/dedicated/

You can throw Windows Server on any of those servers for the licensing fee and add on Plesk if you choose as well.

edit: Oh and 100+ IPs shouldn't be too much of an issue if you can legitimately show the usage of them (SSLs not SEO/Spamming Purposes)

auruspex fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 27, 2010

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I've been using Dreamhost for a few years now without problems, but it's mostly been just file dumping where I needed the bandwidth/storage space and didn't care as much about uptime or doing anything dedicated.

Now that I have some money, however, I wanted to upgrade. One thing that would be really nice for me is that I run two IRC bots for friends on SynIRC, which right now run on my desktop, and I would really like to find a VPS that would let me run them there instead.

I looked into Lithium Hosting, read the terms of service and acceptable use policy for their VPSes, saw nothing forbidding IRC and figured they would work for that and ordered their basic VPS plan.

I guess not! I can't connect to IRC, period, through my server. I figured I would ask here before I sent in a ticket for it.

If IRC bots/clients aren't allowed on Lithium, any recommendations for a good VPS plan that does allow them?

Your issue may be as simple as a software firewall installed on your VPS. You might want to check to see if CSF or anything similar is installed and if so, make sure IRC ports are open.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

R1CH posted:

That sucks, I was looking into ordering from them (100tb) tomorrow too. Any similar hosts that don't suck? Need a dual i7 CPU, 12+ GB RAM, dual HDDs, 6+ TB bandwidth and ideally some kind of backup solution and an SSD, hosted in US (East coast preferred).

To shill for my company, HostDime can do a custom setup such as that no problem. Just open up an account with us and submit a ticket asking for a quote for that server and we'd be glad to help out.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

Got a reply from Hostdime; it's going to be $100/mo for a dedicated server if we go that route. Still open to suggestions.

PM me your ticket ID and I can toss you a coupon at HD :)

edit: found your ticket by searching "goon" in our system. Check it for a little further of a discount :)

auruspex fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 25, 2011

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Bodhi Tea posted:

Is there a windows VPS provider with quality similar to Linode?

Totally whoring out my company:

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/vps/windows/

If interested, PM me and I can toss you a coup for some discount of sorts

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

fungi^2 posted:

Worked for days on an essay and as soon as I put it up, BAM, my Hytek site went down. Sent a critical email 6 hours ago and still haven't heard anything.

As you might expect, I'm looking for a new host with support guarantees. My top two right now are hostdime and bounceweb. Any experience reports?

I'm pretty biased but I think we at HostDime are pretty awesome :) If you decide on us, let me know and I'd be glad to toss you a coupon for whatever level of service you choose.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Fastbreak posted:

Though I have only just ordered it and haven't begun to use it yet, the guys at hostdime were really fast and helpful. Will report back in a month with performance!

Thanks man and it was great working with you! IM me again if you have any other questions or anything. Always happy to help!

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

DNova posted:

can't make a swap partition

many other things

Not entirely true now. RHEL6-based kernels introduced the ability for VSwap:

http://wiki.openvz.org/VSwap

We've been experimenting with it at HostDime and might offer it sometime soon by default on our plans. I personally prefer Xen/KVM for virtualization also due to the client segregation and general concept of hardware virt, but I think OVZ is good in a pinch. Also, if the provider you use monitors their nodes well and maintains some semblance of abuse control, it can be quite stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Run the two tests on this page: http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html

You'll have to compile one of them but that's pretty simple. Cut+paste the source into a file called 'seeker.c', then run 'gcc -o seeker seeker.c' and then run './seeker'

This really is a far better metric. Below is a RAID 10 SSD Shared server we have:

code:
root@omega [~]# ./seeker /dev/sda
Seeker v2.0, 2007-01-15, [url]http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html[/url]
Benchmarking /dev/sda [974848MB], wait 30 seconds..............................
Results: 3962 seeks/second, 0.25 ms random access time
Whereas hdparm gives somewhat inconsistant results:

code:
root@omega [~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  1744 MB in  3.00 seconds = 580.92 MB/sec
and dd even more inconsistant:

code:
root@omega [~]# dd bs=1M count=8196 if=/dev/zero of=test
8196+0 records in
8196+0 records out
8594128896 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 18.358 s, 468 MB/s