Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It doesn't look like there's a lot of good options for Windows based VPS setups. The company I work for has all its own hardware for hosting some 500+ website - we build the site, then host it. That's worked fine, but we're looking at losing the hardware due to cost, and maybe switching to VPS based services.

Our current servers are all virtualized (Minus our DNS server that is pretty ancient at this point) on VMWare ESX 4. Best case scenario, we find a host that would allow us to move our virtual servers to their host. I haven't found anything that seems likely.

The second option is a VPS (or multiple actually - we have a lot of varied servers for different programming languages, a MS SQL DB Server, and the like), and we migrate each site over to the new systems. A hassle, but doable. We'd still need to retain enough control to install custom software and the like for some of our specific clients. Most of the reliable VPS hosts I've seen are obviously linux based, though, and we are all Windows.

We have licenses purchased for all our software, such as ColdFusion (I know, I know. We're moving away from it but have to support the legacy sites) and MS-SQL 2008. We'd like to keep those purchases intact if possible - we paid for em, might as well use them. We also need at least a half, maybe even full, Class C - many of our sites use SSL and have a dedicated IP, rather than using Host Name Header. Most VPS's I've seen offer something like 10 IPs.

The final option would be finding a reseller package on a normal host, set up each site on their own hosting account, but retain a management console for all our customers. Not the best solution, and maybe not even better than keeping our hardware up, but I'm looking into all options.

Are there any serious options I should look into? My boss is pretty adamant we move away from having our own hardware, due to a number of factors, but nothing really seems to fit the bill for us cleanly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

How much throughput? You could get an unmetered server and do that, or look into a CDN (content distribution network) like CacheFly
So you own the hardware and it's co-located? I don't think it'd be cheaper to lease VPSes. Maybe you could some lease the servers or something, but you'd still have to migrate when the lease was up.

Does the VMware license even allow people to re-sell VM's, or is that just with the free version?

We lease (lease to own, anyway) the hardware, which is hosted in a server host facility in our area, and the servers (Dell Poweredges) are running virtualized instances of WIN2K8.

The idea is that while we lease the hardware, the cost of the hosting facility, bandwidth, leases, maintenance, backups, redundancy, network maintenance (security, firewalls, etc) and the whole package deal is quite a bit higher than what companies like Slicehost are charging for even their beefiest packages, within reason. Why continue to do our own thing when dedicated companies likely do it better - and cheaper. So I'm looking into alternatives, and then we'd repurpose the hardware for internal projects that could use some serious horsepower.

It may not be viable, but I won't know until I look.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Can anyone recommend a good Windows VPS? The caveats are that we need maybe a hundred IPs for sites we've got with SSL right now, and a decent amount of hard drive space and bandwidth. I'm extremely tired of managing my own hardware, but sadly the legacy sites I need to keep running are ColdFusion and it just works best on Windows.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
This is usually a longshot on getting a good answer, but can anyone recommend a quality host for ColdFusion 8 + MSSQL websites?

Long story, but right now I've got a few Managed Servers from Rackspace for my company. We used to do our own hardware, but a catastrophic failure wound up needing a quick fix, so we transitioned everything over to a fairly expensive setup through Rackspace. It's actually been fine and without any issues, but I want an exit strategy. There's about 400 ColdFusion sites across a handful of servers. Most are pretty low end stuff that have a few dynamic systems, though a few are pretty meaty sites with a lot of custom code.

We're transitioning to WordPress and PHP sites from here on out (and converting those smaller CF sites where customers allow), but that's a lot of legacy sites we can't just ignore. With ColdFusion licensing being so absurdly expensive, coupled with the fact that the CF servers are Win2K3 and that'll be problematic with IPv6 when it rears its head fully, I want to be able to present my boss with a few scenarios to reduce the work or get out of it entirely.

Bonus points if the host has some sort of reseller interface so that I don't have to individually manage 400 sets of credentials, but not really a requirement if that can't happen.