Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006
Anything after hostgator under 'shared' is the same company IIRC (Endurance IG) and suck very very badly.

edit: also, contribution quote, my post from another thread: "There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth or disk space, it's essentially a lie. As soon as you start using any you're kicked off. Also, in addition, all of the major "unlimited" hosts show you prices with default range set to 2year+ prepay (some up to 10 year prepay) - when you pay monthly there's typically a huge setup fee plus it costs nearly double or triple the price you were shown."

may not apply for some places, but they will ALL cover their asses with ToS and figure out a way to toss you out if you don't conform to a 'normal user'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006

Onken posted:

Your cabs are all 48u? Bizarre, they're pretty much all 42u over in Europe.

Most of the ones I've seen are 42 in the states iirc

R1CH posted:

cpanel

Too bad it's practically the industry standard for normal shared hosting now.
cPanel sucks and I can't even add DNS entries to it. DirectAdmin lets you add anything from AAAA to PTR to SRV :(

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

What's this 95% percentile stuff you guys are talking about? Also, what's the point of selling a 10 mbit connection on a 100 mbit link? I don't know anything about hosting.

95th is used colo/buying bw typically, per-GB is used everything else

10Mbps 95th on 100Mb link would mean you can continuously push 10Mbps (3300GBish 24/7 per month) but can burst up to 100Mbps for up to 36 hours (I think) without affecting your average. You can burst at any time, but after 36 hours your average will go past 10Mbps and you are responsible for paying per mbps (and overages cost more than prepaying, occasionally by massive amounts)

Basically, steady traffic good is good

Your port utilisation is checked every x amount of time, all of the samples are averaged together, and the top 5% thrown out, you're charged based on 95% avg

if it's still confusing, think of it as "bandwidth allocation" on "port speed", like "x GB on a 100Mbps port"

Elected by Dogs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 9, 2010

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Which VPS software makes it possible to oversell?

If you are using Xen, it's impossible to oversell disk/memory, right?

You can oversell disk i/o, network, CPU, etc. no matter what pretty much..
Xen can be oversold as of 3.3: http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/27/xen-33-feature-memory-overcommit/

I stay far away from OpenVZ, Virtuozzo because most of those providers suck horrible poo poo and are oversold to crap (sorry to the one or two honest ones)

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006
keep in mind a few other things: they are owned by Rackspace and pay much less for space, bandwidth, power, and I seriously mean a billion times less than what you would probably pay at any decent place

Corporate buying power, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

How the hell do you set it up so the users can't gently caress everything up?

Are there any guides or pre-configured setups out there?

Or is it just trial/error from locking users down and giving them a little here, a little there and figuring that out from years of experience running a shell host. I had a rootshell.be account (Free) and it must have been on a 286 because it was slower than molasses and only 12 people were logged in.

Give users quotas, `killall` if they attempt a forkbomb when they exceed their ordered package of processes. see_other_uids 0, make .bash_history and etc flagged append-only and unmodifiable/editable by the user.

Make sure a user can't even ls /home. Heavily enforce permissions on many system binaries, don't allow w/who/finger/etc.

see other uids to 0 also makes netstat/sockstat show the user's processes only instead of systemwide, same with ps aux.

You could even push it to disabling users' ability to run their own binaries and just toss the common stuff like znc/eggdrop/etc in /usr/bin and use the user's config files.

Or just do it like nfshost and give every single user a jail.