Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Phiberoptik posted:

What domain registrar's are you guys using that are cheap and reliable? Godaddy's prices have gone up a lot over the years.

Namecheap.com
Name.com
Moniker.com

I have about 50 domains between these 3 guys.

Just FYI, ICAAN controls domain prices, so when a registrar raises their prices you can usually expect other registrars to follow suit.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rugbert posted:

Can we also talk domain registration in here or is there another thread?

Im registered with godaddy for another few months and I want to keep my domain, but I want to move to other hosting. How can I transfer my domain to new hosting? Im thinking of going over to lithum but all I really need is some cheapish hosting that has good rails support.

Mediatemple and godaddy are terrible with rails

Very simple. Get your new hosting and update the nameservers they give you.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/664

Lithium is pretty good too, I use them with my sites.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thrawn200 posted:

How is their customer service? I sent them a "pre-sale question" about what package/add-ons they would reccomend for my (very basic) needs and they haven't got back to me yet. To be fair it hasn't even been two full days yet, but that can't help but make me worry about how slow/fast their support would be with any issues.

Last time I sent a support email I got an answer back in under half an hour.

You can try asking in the Lithium thread in SA-Mart if it's just pre-sale, or send another ticket. They've been running around the last few days with a server outage they just got figured out so maybe they just lost track of it.

Bob Morales posted:

GoDaddy donated millions to the McCain campaign and support net neutrality.

Thanks for this helpful information I guess?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jam2 posted:

I've been using dedicated hosting to do about 5tb per month of live audio streaming.

I'm sure the market has changed quite a bit since then.

What's the best way to do live streaming now? Are there cheaper options than buying blocks of bandwidth and hosting on a dedicated server?

Are you streaming through shoutcast or something else?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Umph posted:

I'm making a web site for a client, while running some domain names by him, we found one that was for sale by buydomains.com via godaddy for 2 grand. It is a pretty catchy domain name and seems to be a good investment maybe, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Can it be looked at as an investment? Like, if we buy the domain name, pay the yearly charge, and in 4 years resell it? I know we don't 'own' the name, but do we have rights to sell it?

Is buying a domain a good idea? It seems like for branding, having 'companyname.com' is a good bet, but I don't know much about domain reselling so I want to make sure I can advise him to do the right thing.

Once we 'buy' it and as long as we make payments regularly, can it be.. like stolen somehow? How important do you guys think a good catchy domain name is for a service based brick and mortar shop? The place turns a good profit and he wants to expand, so 2 grand for a good domain name that isn't "mycompany-name_online.biz.cc" seems like a decent idea but I'm not sure what the catches are.

Thank you in advance you are the best.

This isn't really the thread for this, but I'll try an explain this the best I can.

BuyDomains.com has 2 different types of domain sales. Ones where they own the domain, and one where they act as a broker for a 3rd party.

When you buy a domain, you do in fact own it. They will transfer the domain to your registrar account. You need to pay the yearly renewal fee, but in all other aspects you own it fully. You can use it for your business and keep it, or resell it down the line to another domain broker or end user.

Buying very generic domains can be a good investment. If you own Pizza.com, that would be a good one to hang on to and easy to sell later. However if you own Pete'sFlowers.com, well you've severely limited your resale market.

Once you buy it, as long as you pay the renewal fee every year it's yours. It can't be "stolen", unless someone is doing things like accessing your email and accounts or forging faxes.

Also, you may want to look into other TLDs to use or similar domains.

PM me if you want more info or want suggestions on if the domain is worth it or not. I've done a lot of buying and selling of domains online.