Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
A hosting company I used while they were giving away free shared hosting accounts on Twitter (host1plus.com) have started a free hosting plan here: http://host1free.com

It's pretty decent with no ads - maybe add it to the OP. I'm not convinced their uptime is really 99.9% as I've experienced a bit of down time now and then but it's easily the best free host I've used so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

optikalus posted:

Actually 8 3/4 hours if my math is correct. Still a ridiculous amount of downtime.

Ha, wow. I never really thought about how much time 0.1% of a year was. The hosts who advertise 99.99999% uptime make a lot more sense now. I used to think they were just being dramatic. :)

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

dvgrhl posted:

I was with you on WiredTree until recently. In fact, I've recommended them in this thread before. But their support has gone downhill recently, and they've had some rather bad outages as well. They're probably still a decent hosting company overall, but the level of support isn't what it used to be. I've been with them for 2 years now, so I'm not just going off of one isolated incident or anything. I've actually solved my own tickets when their techs had no clue, which isn't what I pay for managed support for. So I'm moving back to Linode and will just run my server myself again.

All that being said, they're not horrible and are probably still better than a lot of other hosts out there.

In contrast I have a managed VPS with WiredTree and I've found their support to be fantastic. They've responded to every ticket I've opened within minutes and always solved my problems. Perhaps my problems were much easier than yours though. Still, I'd recommend them to anyone.