Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Even back when I was a "lolforumsrawesome" kid, I thought that the Nameless Mod was goddamned stupid.

When your mod can't even hold the interest of 13 year old me, there is seriously a problem with your subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

^^ Uh, TNM just came out a few months ago

CaptainWinky posted:

What bugged me about it was that it was technically well done with good level design and gameplay, but I still couldn't get into it because of the retarded LOL I CAN HAS INTERWEBS poo poo. I mean there's actually an item called "lollerskates."
The lollerskates were hidden items that killed you by ramming you into a wall if you used them. I can accept a few internet jokes played like that. The vast majority of the mod's content has nothing to do with internet meme jokes. For the most part it's played like a real place except with the occasional term like "Moderator" or "server" thrown around.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jetsetlemming posted:

^^ Uh, TNM just came out a few months ago

It's been in development forever. The big shame is that they spent so much time and effort (it's entirely VOICE-ACTED) on a project that could have been loving awesome, and they chose to base it on forum drama.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I played through the entirety of TNM. The "lol you're in a forum" stuff doesn't last long, except for the drat Goat cult who all speak in some kind of lolcat dialect, and all the plot devices having forum-related names. And the first mission is crappy. "Go get some money, like gently caress am I gonna tell you how." But once you get to the point where you can choose your allegiance it starts to feel a lot more like Deus Ex. It certainly does the multiple-paths-through-a-level thing better than some vanilla DX levels did.

It's really easy to tell who hasn't played it for more than an hour or so, if at all.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 11, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Snofeld posted:

I played through the entirety of TNM. The "lol you're in a forum" stuff doesn't last long, except for the drat Goat cult who all speak in some kind of lolcat dialect, and all the plot devices having forum-related names. And the first mission is crappy. "Go get some money, like gently caress am I gonna tell you how." But once you get to the point where you can choose your allegiance it starts to feel a lot more like Deus Ex. It certainly does the multiple-paths-through-a-level thing better than some vanilla DX levels did.

It's really easy to tell who hasn't played it for more than an hour or so, if at all.

I play games for fun. If I have to spend hours running around a too-large city trying to find ways to make money while lovely random internet humor and in-jokes get forcefed to me by a bunch neckbeards who giggle between takes just to get to the "good" stuff, then that's just not fun.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I liked the literature drops in this game. I actually picked up "The Man Who Was Thursday" and it is pretty amazing. I also liked the other works found in the game. In the cathedral reading the history of the Knights Templar was interesting and accurate as well.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fanks for gettin' me in! :keke:

Suuuuuuuure.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

You should put these in the op
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm This fixes problems with the game (switching weapons not working right at times, scales the UI to your resolution, etc)
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm and this is really nice if you have a dx10 card, allows you to turn on aa and such and just make the game look nicer overall

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'd just like to point out that TNM won the singleplayer Mod of The Year award (over at ModDB) by a healthy margin. Glowing reviews from proper reviewers all over the place, too.

SA is the only place that seems to have violently rejected its very existance. I'll admit the concept is corny, and the first city-map is way too open, but consider that the Liberty Island of the mod. Once you're past that, it's really impressive. The level design is probably better than the original Deus Ex in a lot of places. Almost every action you can take has some kind of reaction/repercussions later on, and there's a big branch fairly early on that leads you down one of two completely different campaigns.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 11, 2010

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
This is the best Deus Ex video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDM0rGxtpY

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ZeeBoi posted:

Fanks for gettin' me in! :keke:

Suuuuuuuure.

Its better when they killed when MJ12 commandos storm the nightclub. I think one of them had a shitload of multitools.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shifty Scandaroon posted:

Has anybody figured out how to open that god drat safe in Manderly's office?

There's... a safe in Manderly's office? :psyduck:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

KillHour posted:

Count me in :psyduck:

Shifty Scandaroon, are you loving with us?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Help, the boat on liberty island doesn't work, what do I do?!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Stop downloading game rips from 2001?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

As far as I know, the only way to reach it is to "ghost" your way there, it's only in the post-Castle Clinton UNATCO map. The safe door isn't a mover, so it's impossible to actually interact with, so I'm guessing they had planned for the safe to be in the game but then forgot to delete it from one of the map instances?

edit: It's hard to take a screenshot of it since it's behind the book case has no lighting, if you move between the bookcase and the front of the safe you can see it has a "safe" texture for the once-planned door. Oh, and it still contains a weapon mod. - Picture for those that want to see.

Oh, and in the process of trying to blow up the book case by spawning "allweapons" inside, I managed to have Manderley basically clip through the spawned weapon stash and have all the guns glue onto his model while him, Anna, some UNATCO grunt and Walton Simons were all shooting at me. :D

Tecman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 11, 2010

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not a beam sword. :P Otherwise it would only take up one square in your inventory. It's a physical sword that, when activated has a layer of nanites flooding around the edge to constantly give it the ideal edge for whatever they detect it swinging towwards.

Nanomachines.

If I remember right, unholstering the sword showed it as being just a handle and then lighting up in a very lightsaber fashion with that "BWOAM" sound.

Oh and also, I'm surprised nobody has linked to Malkavian Mod (unless I missed it while skimming the thread).

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 11, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Phenotype posted:

It's been in development forever. The big shame is that they spent so much time and effort (it's entirely VOICE-ACTED) on a project that could have been loving awesome, and they chose to base it on forum drama.
It's not based on forum drama. It's based IN a forum, but the events are just made up Deus Ex conspiracy stuff. Seriously, TNM owns, and if you can't be bothered to hold down space and skip some dialog you don't like for gameplay that lives up to THE BEST VIDEOGAME EVER MADE IE DEUS EX then there's something horribly wrong with you.

There are other instances in the game like Manderly's safe. For example, the Buddha statue in the case in Maggie Chow's apartment was originally supposed to be on a trigger to sink down into the floor. If you make a loud noise near it (say, shooting a gun) the guards in the back room will come out of their break room and run into the wall behind the buddha statue trying to get to you, because there's AI pathing that leads through it.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is the best Deus Ex video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDM0rGxtpY

It's also in the OP

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl
So, is this game good good, or is this the kind of "good" reserved for the likes of fallout games and system shock,
the kind where you have to stick seven pairs of rose-colored glasses up your rear end before even attempting the first area?

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Lilac1 posted:

So, is this game good good, or is this the kind of "good" reserved for the likes of fallout games and system shock,
the kind where you have to stick seven pairs of rose-colored glasses up your rear end before even attempting the first area?

I beat it for the first time last year and just replayed it a few weeks ago, it's as good as people say

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Lilac1 posted:

Somewhere in-between if you ask me. Sure, us vets love it to death, but Liberty Island and the first part of the game has turned quite a number of people away, so it's possible to be scared off. Stick with it, though, it gets really, really REALLY good!

edit: REALLY REALLY really good!

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Tecman posted:

Somewhere in-between if you ask me. Sure, us vets love it to death, but Liberty Island and the first part of the game has turned quite a number of people away, so it's possible to be scared off. Stick with it, though, it gets really, really REALLY good!

edit: REALLY REALLY really good!

Okay, I had fun with vampire the masquerade: bloodlines, so I guess I'll give it a go.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

I beat it for the first time last year and just replayed it a few weeks ago, it's as good as people say

Me too. I played (and beat it) for the first time last year and started a new game about two weeks ago. It's also even better the second time around. You will not be disappointed.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
why do so many people hate Liberty Island? the demo was what sold me on the game, really

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Honest Thief posted:

why do so many people hate Liberty Island? the demo was what sold me on the game, really

well it doesn't help that you're supposed to be a super-advanced spy and you enter the area with no augmentations and no supplies

also there's lots of walking in big open areas compared to the later awesome sneaking levels like the silo and at Vandenberg

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Liberty Island is too open, too slow, and you've not got any of the augs that define your character.

In retrospect, the best way to handle things would have been the Metroid Prime approach. You get a 'taster' set of augs and some modded weapons for your debut mission, but something happens at the end of it to bust you back down to a much weaker level. It'd give the player something to shoot for, and make the opening much more exciting.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lilac1 posted:

You probably won't like it, you should check out Game Of The Year Final Fantasy XIII instead. Now with 75% less gameplay between cutscenes!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Liberty Island to me was a great level, heck I didn't even knew you could get augs when playing the demo, on direct draw and windowed mode; the wharehouse infiltration was the worst area of the game

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Are there any problems getting this game working on Windows 7 and widescreen monitors?

I can't be loving arsed with old games if they take forever to get running. I'm looking at you, Thief and System Shock 1 / 2.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

Liberty Island to me was a great level, heck I didn't even knew you could get augs when playing the demo, on direct draw and windowed mode; the wharehouse infiltration was the worst area of the game

It's a great level in general, it's just a poor first level. Unless you had experience playing a multilinear FPS with RPG features before, which most people probably hadn't, it was easy to get lost wondering where you were supposed to be going and why killing everything you saw was so difficult.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Skilleddk posted:

Are there any problems getting this game working on Windows 7 and widescreen monitors?

I can't be loving arsed with old games if they take forever to get running. I'm looking at you, Thief and System Shock 1 / 2.

It won't work out of the box, but there ARE custom renderers and graphical + interface tweaks that make the game look quite good.

Hell, the info was posted on this very page!
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm

And christ do I love New Vision - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision - but for some reason I really cannot stand HDTP.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
Basically, if you have never played Deus Ex you shouldn't post. I don't mean that in an ad hominum way. I mean that if you have never played Deus Ex, anything you have to say about video games is worthless. It's like if a person had never heard of the Beatles and was trying to talk about music in the 20th century. No offense to anyone if they haven't played it. Just don't expect me to take anything you have to say about anything seriously.

If you haven't played it, c'mon. Put down the 360 controller and turn off Modern Warfare. Play Deus Ex and don't speak to another human being until you have beaten it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah, but Deus Ex doesn't play well with Windows 7 and the graphics are dated. People who haven't played it and don't have the patience to try should check out FPS RPG Supergame Bioshock instead.

Steam can be a little tricky to navigate so here's a walkthrough to help those attempting to purchase Bioshock

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
So I heard there is some trick where you can knock a body out and take it to every level with you if you do it right?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I just found out something new about the Vandenberg AFB level: just outside the big walls fortifying the level there's some bodies with loot. I've played the game like 6 times but never noticed it until I saw the bodies with my nightvision aug. It's nice to pick up on something I missed many times before.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

rocket_man38 posted:

I liked the literature drops in this game. I actually picked up "The Man Who Was Thursday" and it is pretty amazing. I also liked the other works found in the game. In the cathedral reading the history of the Knights Templar was interesting and accurate as well.

Yeah I got The Man Who Was Thursday because of Deus Ex too, and it's really an amazing book and it's a pretty clear inspiration. Everyone who liked Deus Ex should read it!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Phenotype posted:

...I just had the greatest idea.

A mod of Deus Ex, based off the mad rantings of LF posters.

If you thought original DX was nuts, you haven't seen anything yet!

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, but Deus Ex doesn't play well with Windows 7 and the graphics are dated. People who haven't played it and don't have the patience to try should check out FPS RPG Supergame Bioshock instead.

Steam can be a little tricky to navigate so here's a walkthrough to help those attempting to purchase Bioshock

Or they could get a full-er, better game (System Shock 2) over the derivative and shittier product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Adam Bowen posted:

You can't leave without your buddy Superfly.