Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The PS2 version of Deus Ex rules. Yes the textures are worse, the framerate does dip at times and the areas are split into smaller maps due to memory constraints. However, the controls are great, it has better models and animations and has neat prerendered cutscenes. Its a more streamlined experience than the PC version to be sure, but it retains what made Deus Ex such a good game and its honestly one of the best PC ports of the era.

In some ways it is a shame they ditched the grid inventory as RE4 showed a few years later that such a system works just fine on a console. The PS2 version just had basic inventory slots, and every item in the game takes up a single slot with stacking - the downside of this is that a GEP gun takes up the same amount of space as an energy bar.

However, the upside is that a GEP gun takes up the same amount of space as an energy bar, meaning there is no reason not to take the GEP gun right at the start of the game. In fact, you should take as many heavy weapons as is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Lord Ludikrous posted:

In fact, you should take as many heavy weapons as is possible.

You can only carry one Light Anti-Tank Weapon (LAW) :sigh:

I haven't played the PS2 version but the pre-rendered cutscenes at least are really cool. Page and Simons are only shown in silhouette (heh), two voices you'll recognize instantly when you hear them but not their faces. In the Illuminati ending, Everett and JC have their respective spots, too.

They also cut out a few lines that are inconsistent with the world building or just redundant; in particular the ones about UNATCO which wasn't "formed by executive order", Mead doesn't have authority over the United Nations, by the end of the game it's very much the other way around.

Unfortunately, they also re-recorded Helios's lines for no reason and the ending is in Papyrus.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the PS2 inventory system was such that there were only so many slots that could contain weapons. Not that the difference matters much.

In a way it's all the more galling because it shows that the Xbox was not why Invisible War went wrong at all, they definitely could have done a "real" Deus Ex game, they just had technical issues and got psyched out about immersive sims being hard to get into.

Universal ammo might be one of the single biggest unforced errors in game design ever.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Outer Worlds recently went for three types of universal ammo and while it didn't feel as rear end backwards as DX2's system it was also boring and meaningless.

Either go for unlimited ammo for all or many types of limited ammo, nothing in between these two extremes feels right.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RE3 has what is probably the closest to the optimum universal ammo experience with its gunpowders. You can mix and match them to make drat near any type of ammo, you get bonuses by saving them to make the good poo poo like freeze rounds and magnum bullets but also are rewarded for using it for standard gameplay by becoming able to create the custom handgun and shotgun rounds. You get enough ammo that you never really need the gunpowder but it always helps. The only thing dragging it down is how limited your inventory is and having the reload tool also take space.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Never tried RE3 but it sounds a bit like the Fallout New Vegas ammo crafting situation: You don't need to but it's very rewarding.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

brap posted:

Universal ammo might be one of the single biggest unforced errors in game design ever.

:emptyquote:

In stark contrast, it's a testament to the love and care put into the first game that fans are even now braving the horrors of UE1 editing to mod it.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

By popular demand posted:

The Outer Worlds recently went for three types of universal ammo and while it didn't feel as rear end backwards as DX2's system it was also boring and meaningless.

Either go for unlimited ammo for all or many types of limited ammo, nothing in between these two extremes feels right.

Destiny 2 switched from having Primary ammo (used for most of your small arms and rifles) being pickup-based to just plain unlimited, while still having Special ammo (used mainly for shotguns, snipers and Fusion Rifles) and Power ammo (heavy weapons like MGs, heavy grenade launchers and rocket launchers) that you need to pick up. It works really well, and I'd like to see more FPSes do something like that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think ammo crafting systems are deeply different from IW-style universal ammo.

First is that in IW, running out of a single universal ammo type is.. so bad, and feels very different from running out of ammo for your "good guns" and having to switch over to a "worse gun". It's like hitting a brick wall instead of being a constraint which the player can adapt to more gracefully. When the player has to work with only the specific ammo types that they actually find in the world, it requires them to think about how to solve their problems using those ammo types, instead of either always having the ammo type they want or not having any ammo for anything.

When you add an ammo crafting system (and usually this involves several different material kinds which each make different ammo types), it adds a dimension of choice on top of that, which enriches the original situation of specific constrained ammo types. It's a similar kind of choice as asking do you want the GEP gun, or crossbow, or sniper rifle in the beginning of the original game.

It's also not all that different from a game which has specific ammo types, but also has money and shops that sell ammo, except that it adds a little puzzle-piece challenge on top of it, i.e. if I choose to make sniper ammo, the leftover materials could make shotgun ammo, but if I make grenade launcher ammo, the leftover materials are only good for pistol ammo. Interesting choice.

As an aside I also really like how buying stuff worked in the original Deus Ex. There was never a shop that sold whatever you wanted at standard prices. There was at best a guy that you happened to run into at just one place and time, who is selling a certain few things right now, do you want it or not. Prices too high? OK, go kill these bots giving me trouble, or go rescue Ford Schick and I'll cut you a deal.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm very impressed that there's dialogue for if you read Maggie Chow's file in the police station armory in Hong Kong before going to the Luminous Path. You can only do that by looking up the code (or breaking into a random apartment two maps away?).

**but sequence breaking does mean Maggie's run away even if it's the first time you've been to her apartment.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 9, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cyberpunk has pistol, rifle, shotgun, and sniper ammo pools. It works pretty well, you don't have to futz with individual ammo for the 20 guns you're carrying but also you can't run out and just be hosed. Not even counting the katana option.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Cyberpunk has pistol, rifle, shotgun, and sniper ammo pools. It works pretty well, you don't have to futz with individual ammo for the 20 guns you're carrying but also you can't run out and just be hosed. Not even counting the katana option.
You can also craft on the spot (though not in combat) if things get really dire.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

brap posted:

First is that in IW, running out of a single universal ammo type is.. so bad

Yeah. The first time you’re in a challenging fight in IW and blast through all your ammo in a couple of bursts, only to realize that was all your ammo for every weapon, is not a typical gaming response when changing weapons in the critical moment playing an fps.

It’s probably the quintessential feature that defines IW as an objectively bad game.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Having 3-4 pools of ammo can work but you still got to balance poo poo out, unfortunately in The Outer Worlds the weapons are all boring and almost indistinct from each other.
Sure you can upgrade them but it's always a question of <NUMBERS>. so unsexy.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Cheston posted:

I'm very impressed that there's dialogue for if you read Maggie Chow's file in the police station armory in Hong Kong before going to the Luminous Path. You can only do that by looking up the code (or breaking into a random apartment two maps away?).

**but sequence breaking does mean Maggie's run away even if it's the first time you've been to her apartment.

You can also get Anna Navarre to open the UNATCO door without killing her if you go through some hoops: it doesn't break the game, it just continues as normal. From memory when I last did it, Gunther's "I cannot forgive Agent Navarre's death" message when you leave UNATCO for the last time, doesn't actually play, since she's still alive. I think there's other triggers depending on your choices earlier, so this may not actually have anything to do with her survival, but JC did the "I know you hate being used as a tool as just much as me, why not a gentleman's agreement and work together?" dialogue in the church, with Gunther' giving the "Sorry, I get the latest upgrades if I beat you" response when I kept her alive.

You can technically knock Gunther out in the church, in base game: you have to reduce his health to a certain point, where he starts running away or cloaks from memory, then use a fair few tranquiliser darts on him, he'll fall unconscious without exploding.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'll never tire of explaining that Anna Navarre, the supposed Russo-Israeli operative's accent doesn't sound either Russian or Israeli.
Also her reply to her killphrase which is often described as "angry" doesn't.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
The delivery made her sound more curious than angry, in contrast to Gunther's reaction. Not sure it's the below is a good comparison but it's how I imagined it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

The delivery made her sound more curious than angry, in contrast to Gunther's reaction. Not sure it's the below is a good comparison but it's how I imagined it.

The mechs have copper wiring to re-route their fear of death, but you've got nerves of steel.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been playing Deus Ex: The Fall again, not having played it since the PC version released. If it wasn't for all the technical issues and that the game's story is all setup without any payoff because they didn't get to make any more episodes, I'd go as far as saying the game is pretty good. Given just a tiny bit more effort it could have been a perfectly fine episodic DLC pack for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Or maybe I'm just desperately thirsty for more Deus Ex.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You're thirsty?! I've been waiting since 2000!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

You're thirsty?! I've been waiting since 2000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKvX3Bg6KM

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Listen pal: as much as I'd like to stalk my old bosses stealthily only to tranq them and watch them running around in vain attempt to catch me, or to hack ATMs and abscond with the cash the biologic augmentations simply don't exist!
Living vicariously through my computer is all I have.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Mankind Divided is currently free on Epic Store

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/deus-ex-mankind-divided-4c6370

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

brap posted:

. It's a similar kind of choice as asking do you want the GEP gun, or crossbow, or sniper rifle in the beginning of the original game.

That wasn’t really a good choice, since there was only one option that you couldn’t get in the first level- if you don’t pick the GEP gun you can’t get another until the airport.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
You're supposed to use the GEP gun on the bots?! Why didn't anyone tell me this!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Too bad I already re-bought it DRM free on GOG.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Too bad I already re-bought it DRM free on GOG.

Absolutely same :hfive:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.polygon.com/2024/3/20/24105739/alpha-protocol-2024-gog-drm-free-pc

quote:

The ambitious, yet flawed Alpha Protocol is available for purchase once again. The 2010 game, which was developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Sega, was removed from all platforms in 2019 because Sega’s music licensing rights had expired. The game is making a comeback as a DRM-free exclusive on GOG.com, available today for $19.99, with an additional 10% launch discount lasting through April 3.

What’s now available is a definitive edition, of sorts, containing all of its original music, as well as support for modern wireless controllers (including the DualSense, Switch Pro controller, and Xbox Series X controllers), text localization support for 8 languages, Windows 10 and 11 compatibility, and cloud save support. The game also sports achievements on GOG, which were previously only available on consoles. What this re-release of Alpha Protocol is not, however, is a remaster. The visuals and core game are unchanged. GOG.com produced a mini documentary on how it brought the game back, and I’ve embedded it at the top of the post.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I already own the game, this is a great reminder that it's always a good time to have Gelato with Marburg

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Good to know! I watched the LP by Bobbin Threadbare and marveled at how Michael Thornton can be both the most immaculate secret agent and the most insane lunatic.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

I rebought it just to support the preservation effort and Obsidian

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

started playing through Revision a few nights ago - hadn't touched any of of the DX games in years and I'd forgotten all but the large strokes from the vanilla game so this has been a fun experience, though I feel like there's a few fourth wall-breaking things that I'm finding slightly irritating. Was finding a copy of the Eye of Argon after you rescue Ford in the Hell's Kitchen MJ12 lab an easter egg in the original game or was this a joek that the mod put in?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
When in doubt, blame Revision. The new maps are far and away the worst part of an otherwise perfectly fine update. (The south dock of Liberty Island is just as sacred as the first screen of Super Mario 1-1, drat it, yes I will die on this hill)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Was it Revision that places like a random tortured NSF corpse just in the middle of Anna Navarre's office? Not that I don't think she'd be above icing prisoners like Simons or anything, I just found having a body casually strewn about like that was goofy as hell.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not a corpse but a dummy I'm pretty sure.
That Nazi reference I found was bad enough to cover for that.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Not a corpse but a dummy I'm pretty sure.
That Nazi reference I found was bad enough to cover for that.

The SS symbol in the Paris catacombs, right? It does seems like something that might naturally be in a WW2 era bunker, if you don't stop to think for two seconds about who would have been using those bunkers (the French resistance) and why (the SS was able to operate in the open) and the blatant parallels the game is drawing. It's just another needless, lore-unfriendly addition where none was needed, Revision has its share of those.

No, I hate the catacombs because they're even more confusing to navigate than in vanilla. The prisoners you need to rescue frequently get caught on the stairs, too.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Realized for the first time two minutes ago that Gary Savage and the others are all escapees from A51.

They are ex-51.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I didn't particularly mind universal ammo in IW, but then again, I never played Deus Ex for gunplay and inventory puzzles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Was feeling the urge to play again and glad I hadn't yet, just found out there's a RTX remix out: https://github.com/onnoj/DeusExEchelonRenderer

There's no editing of the game to make it fully take advantage of it but it still looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Grand Fromage posted:

Was feeling the urge to play again and glad I hadn't yet, just found out there's a RTX remix out: https://github.com/onnoj/DeusExEchelonRenderer

There's no editing of the game to make it fully take advantage of it but it still looks neat.

Not sure how these kinds of things work, but would this work with Revision?