Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Unless revision uses its own renderer, it should. Revision modifies the game's levels and models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I just grabbed it, it works pretty well with the vanilla GOG release. I'm curious how it plays with VorpX, I never could get that to hook properly in any actual 3D mode.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Finally got around to completing a playthrough of The Nameless Mod. I've tried to play through it before the 2.0 release and never managed to finish it. The 2.0 release improved the quality of the level design in a lot of areas (ABI, DXI, and downtown Forum City especially). A lot of the levels are genuinely great. Most of the major criticisms of the mod as a self-indulgent mess of in-jokes are still true, but the gameplay doesn't depend on understanding the lore. The size and complexity of some of the levels is a bit overwhelming; I didn't often find myself not knowing how to make progress, but I often felt that I had missed secrets or items because there was too much to explore and I wanted to move on.

A few levels stood out to me as big improvements. I remember in the 1.0 release the main hub area was a complete mess, it was way too big and empty and took forever to get anywhere. That has been mostly corrected by compacting everything down into a smaller level, but as a result I still found myself getting lost even after returning to the hub for the dozenth time. If you know where you're going, you never have to walk very far, but there are a lot of twists and turns and you'll end up going in circles. I don't think they changed the corporate district from the 1.0 release much; it's still way too big. Fortunately, it's easy to navigate the corporate district since there aren't many destinations there. I don't remember the ABI exterior too well from the 1.0 release except that it felt very out-of-place, with sparse boxy buildings in a big open area. The ABI exterior now feels much more Deus Ex, with fewer, larger buildings and more dense interconnections between them and ways to interact with them. This ended up being one of my favorite areas in the mod after the V2 release.

There were some weak levels in this release as well. The sewers in the corporate district were terrible. Ugly textures, confusing layout, areas that all looked the same, and the same type of enemy used over and over. The sewers aren't part of a main mission but you get plans for the quad rocket launcher there so you have to deal with them if you want a good heavy weapon that takes as many inventory slots as the sniper rifle. The exterior of DXI with the lava caverns also needed improvement. It's basically the same as I remembered, with gigantic columns that you have to jump between over lava. There were a lot of lighting bugs in this area, it was extremely ugly, and required jumping puzzles don't belong in Deus Ex. The ABI ruins were also weak: too much repetition, too big, no obvious progression. None of the areas in the ABI ruins were individually bad, but as a whole they made for a weak experience. The Goat City exterior also needed some improvement: too big and sparse to make for good Deus Ex gameplay. The DXO base was exactly as ugly and confusing as I remember.

Overall it was a much more polished experience than the first release, with some great gameplay moments and fewer weak levels. If you're wanting to sneak around some secret labs with a Dragon's Tooth Sword and don't mind skipping through some cringey dialog, it's worth trying out.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Has there been any development news on the release of System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I didn't particularly mind universal ammo in IW, but then again, I never played Deus Ex for gunplay and inventory puzzles.

DX was great for the way you could work out your own solutions to puzzles and universal ammo worked against that because it made resources from one tool indiscriminately take away resources from other tools.

Also the inventory for IW drank duck piss through a straw.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Has there been any development news on the release of System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition?

hahahahahahahahahano

Given how vastly they blew past every projected release for SS1 and how much they were getting roasted for it, I doubt they're going to give any release date for SS2:EE. Assuming they don't go out of business in the interim, I'd expect to see it in 2-3 years. Maybe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Valatar posted:

hahahahahahahahahano

Given how vastly they blew past every projected release for SS1 and how much they were getting roasted for it, I doubt they're going to give any release date for SS2:EE. Assuming they don't go out of business in the interim, I'd expect to see it in 2-3 years. Maybe.

You have that avatar and chose to not write that post in the style of SHODAN. shameful.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Valatar posted:

Assuming they don't go out of business in the interim, I'd expect to see it in 2-3 years. Maybe.

Pretty much every boomer shooter you like that's gotten a remaster in the last five or so years went through Nightdive, and their latest was Star Wars Dark Forces. I don't think this is a big concern.

I'm terrible at the game, but I think most would agree the Shock remake was worth the wait.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Walker posted:

Pretty much every boomer shooter you like that's gotten a remaster in the last five or so years went through Nightdive, and their latest was Star Wars Dark Forces. I don't think this is a big concern.

I'm terrible at the game, but I think most would agree the Shock remake was worth the wait.

Yeah they took a long time but they absolutely nailed it.

In any case that was an entirely new game, effectively. Isn't ss2 just a tidy up? I'd love a full remake but my understanding is that it wasn't one.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sebmojo posted:

In any case that was an entirely new game, effectively. Isn't ss2 just a tidy up? I'd love a full remake but my understanding is that it wasn't one.

Yeah. https://www.pcgamer.com/system-shoc...e-been-updated/ It's the same engine, but they are remaking the textures & models to be a bit less crunchy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I like to point out that SS2 HD texture packs have existed for literal decades now, but it'll still be worth picking up the Nightdive update just since I'm sure they'll have done a more consistent job of it. The really exciting bits are that with more eyes on the game and hopefully more accessible tools, we'll get some balance mods thrown at it - the various options presented to the player where very much not equal at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't those texture packs try and make the Cyborg Midwifes sexy?

And when you really get down to it, shouldn't the lower half be the human part of the Midwifes, and shouldn't they be like Cyborg Mothers not midwife? Many questions

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
lol, one of them did, god it was so bad. Someone released a faithful model a few years later. But yea, most of the modders focused on high-profile textures and thing like random wall panels got neglected. Or they changed the 'vibe' of the models slightly as they increased the polycounts. Nightdive's gonna do a better job of it for sure, just pointing out that it's not much of a reason to hold out playing SS2 today if you're so inclined.

edit: they where midwives since they tended to clutches of eggs, they weren't mothers as they didn't birth anything themselves. ew.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 10, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The midwives just tend to the eggs which I’m pretty sure were managed by cyborg gorillas on the OG grove. The point was body horror (and a kickass laser weapon). There was a midwife replacement model that gave the monster breasts and a nice face, then the artist responded to criticism by ripping off the face.

I still own the boxed version of SS2 and I’d pay full price again for an HD remaster; Terri Brosius will never be beaten so just buff up the models and call it a day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

System Shock 2 is so good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Triple-digit heart rate sitting completely still. Not even the Resident Evil 2 crows got me like that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

lol, one of them did, god it was so bad. Someone released a faithful model a few years later. But yea, most of the modders focused on high-profile textures and thing like random wall panels got neglected. Or they changed the 'vibe' of the models slightly as they increased the polycounts. Nightdive's gonna do a better job of it for sure, just pointing out that it's not much of a reason to hold out playing SS2 today if you're so inclined.

edit: they where midwives since they tended to clutches of eggs, they weren't mothers as they didn't birth anything themselves. ew.

Shumagorath posted:

The midwives just tend to the eggs which I’m pretty sure were managed by cyborg gorillas on the OG grove. The point was body horror (and a kickass laser weapon). There was a midwife replacement model that gave the monster breasts and a nice face, then the artist responded to criticism by ripping off the face.

I still own the boxed version of SS2 and I’d pay full price again for an HD remaster; Terri Brosius will never be beaten so just buff up the models and call it a day.

Ah, for some reason I thought the Many were implanting the eggs in them until they matured enough to turn into those egg sacs on the ground.

Grand Fromage posted:

I love how it has both some of the best creepy body horror poo poo in Video Games with the Many soldiers wandering around begging for death and the Cyborg Midwifes and goofy rear end poo poo like the suicide robots, cyborg assassins, and the Monkeys.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The monkeys are very scary early-game but also incredibly funny on paper and I hope whomever designed them had a big stupid grin the whole time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I love how it has both some of the best creepy body horror poo poo in Video Games with the Many soldiers wandering around begging for death and the Cyborg Midwifes and goofy rear end poo poo like the suicide robots, cyborg assassins, and the Monkeys.

The suicide robots were some of the scariest enemies for me, at least at first. Completely aside from the fact that they're eerie in a There Will Come Soft Rains kind of way, because their dialogue is so benign my first encounter with one had me walk right up to it and get a nasty surprise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Shumagorath posted:

The monkeys are very scary early-game but also incredibly funny on paper and I hope whomever designed them had a big stupid grin the whole time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Don't forget that crunchy models are now cool and retro.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Only to a degree, the original SS2 models now look like Cruelty Squad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The original SS2 models invoked the concept of cruelty squad 25 years before cruelty squad even existed! They where lambasted at release, the devs aimed at very low system reqs during the era of ugly 3d and it showed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wailing I'm sorry in a twisted voice as I put giant tits on the monkeys.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wish they were doing a bit more of a remake though. Everything after you move off the Von Braun could use a rethink.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The day will come, SHODAN would accept nothing less.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

I wish they were doing a bit more of a remake though. Everything after you move off the Von Braun could use a rethink.

Given the great result of the SS1 project, I think many people agree - but I think Nightdive is averse to the risk, and not unreasonably so. It took them almost decade to make what was hoped to be a one to two year project, and I know they blew through their kickstarter money fast. I have to guess that this project threatened the company financially, and while it seems to have ultimately paid off, they don't seem to have an appetite to do it again. SS2 is a much bigger and more complicated game than SS1, which would make this project even more difficult, so I don't see this happening any time soon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grand Fromage posted:

After you move off the VB it closes SS2.exe and runs Prey.exe

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
This is really just the Immersive Sim Appreciation Thread now, huh. Not complaining it's as good a place as any to lament that I keep losing interest in Dishonored 2 for no reason

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I love DH2 but its levels are very gimmick based

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of immersive sims, I recently tried Ctrl Alt Ego. The graphics suck but drat it's such a good imsim

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah the art seems uninspired but unlike Cruelty Squad probably not make my eyes bleed, I'll try it sometime.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

To quote the steam store page:

Ctrl-Alt-Ego posted:

Innovative immersive sim with emphasis on problem-solving and creativity. Prey 2017 meets Portal, but with its own systems and mechanics. One of the best games of 2022 according to various credible sources (see store page) and one of the top puzzle games on PC according to RPS. Try the demo!

My eyebrow has been raised, and I have never heard of this game. Thank you I will try the demo. We shall see.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That sounds cool as hell

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I just bought it too, thanks for the tip

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Speaking of immersive sims, I recently tried Ctrl Alt Ego. The graphics suck but drat it's such a good imsim

After playing through the tutorial I'm really put off by how it looks, feels to play, and sounds.

I also really don't care for the ego gimmick.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day but drat.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can still refund. I didn't like the start that much but the open areas were amazing. There's really a ton of ways to approach each problem

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'll try again another day, I like supporting indie projects especially in these niche genres, but boy howdy it was visceral.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Today I was fooling around with the dragons tooth sword in Maggie Chow's apartment and accidentally busted up one of the Buddha statues, am I gonna be cursed now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I loved how in a recent play through I busted right into the mj12 rooms and when I later met Ms.Chow for the first time at the UC site she commented on my lack of social manners.