Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Stuntman posted:

loving love this game. I can't get past the final level, so I'm just doing another playthrough. I love how you can kill certain soldiers and then Joseph will comment on it.
We're opening an investigation.

deus ex owns, goty 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I tried my hand at a nonlethal playthrough a while ago and it's completely possible to go without a single kill and without cheating, but abusing the AI is a must.

- When Anna tells you to kill that guy or else she will, just knock him out.
- Run past Anna in the subway.
- Stack boxes or LAMclimb up the balcony wall in UNATCO and throw a gas grenade at Anna before her speech starts so she opens the exit door, then run past her.
- On the freighter, be sure not to knock anybody out either or they won't wake up in time to get off the ship! Stealth past everyone only.
- Run past Gunther in Paris, OR don't trigger him at all by jumping with the speed aug along the pillars on the side of the room.
- Run past Walton in the ocean base.
- A single tranq dart will drop that rear end in a top hat in the silo.
- In Area 51, damage Walton just enough so that he starts to flee (his character isn't really supposed to do this here so it's hard to inflict just enough damage without killing him). He'll follow you around until you leave the area, but he won't come within 20 feet or so and he won't attack. I suppose you could just run past him but he's extremely loving tenacious and you have to deal with him in a wide open space.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 12, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Shumagorath posted:

Another thing to note is that if you take an unmodded weapon from that particular level and then pick up your modded one you will just get ammo for the unmodded weapon. Make sure you drop everything upon entering the armoury.
This and "take the GEP gun" are the two most important things to tell people new who are to this game.

Also, there are 2 places where people will try to take your precious pistol, Gunther and Mr. Renton. For Gunther, you can just drop all your guns and give him a knife, and for Mr. Renton, drop your pistol somewhere safe in the hotel before you loot the baddies because they have pistols, so you can take one of their unmodded ones to give to Renton and go pick yours back up.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 13, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
You kind of needed a sword, though, because every loving fight drained your ammo to nothing by the end of that game. At least there was a better one in the sanctuary.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Xander77 posted:

I get where "What a shame" comes from, but what's so funny about "My vision is augmented"? Some remix I never saw?
Malkavian mod threw it in. I liked its delivery in the regular game, though.

"I hope you are not planning on wearing those sunglasses at night!"
"My vision is augmented." :cool:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Brannock posted:

This thread is now temporarily about your favorite JC one-liners.
Gunther: I am not a machi-
JC: Sticks and stones. :c00l:
Gunther: [loving explodes]

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

InterFaced posted:

Edit: The only good thing about invisible war is some of the music. The title remix is cool.
I like that song that plays in the nightclub that has the Greasel fights.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Chunderbucket posted:

There's actually at least two of these in the first level. Keep an eye open for the medical panels, usually in shadow.
And be careful about blowing them open, since it's very easy to destroy the bot inside as well. You can just lockpick them too, but it's kind of expensive, I think.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

GoldenNugget posted:

Where is the other hidden medical bot area? Afaik there's only one.
Aside from the one by the dock at the start, I believe there's one over by the opposite dock / patrolling bot in the shadows there.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Mr. Peepers posted:

I will remember nsf001/smashthestate and ajacobson/calvo (also 2001, meh) till the day I die. Although to be fair, those are early in the game and easy to remember.
0451 = van/shed thing
666 = Castle Clinton entrance to NSF base
55655 = Versalife tunnel code
4321 = Paul's closet
432 = Smuggler's mirror code (don't even remember how you're supposed to find this)
911 = Chinese police department
1997 = Luminous Path gate

I used to know the code to access the 747 hangar and the code to get to the subway at the Hell's Kitchen lockdown but I can't recall them right now.

I play this game too much

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 22, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Stump Truck posted:

I actually noticed that for the first time last night. I could have sworn you could kill unconscious people. What the gently caress Deus Ex? Killing kids is fine but comatose people are off limits?
If it bothers you that much, you can always gib 'em with a GEP

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Pepper spray is almost essential for a nonlethal run. I just wish it was a liiiitle longer range, but I understand why it's not.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

GoldenNugget posted:

I never used pepper spray in my nonlethal run but I guess it was because I was using it wrong with the whole run up to someone while spraying and then baton them. Maybe I have to try sneaking up on them rather than be aggresive with it. But then I think I'd rather just straight up baton them.
It's not worth using on just one guy. On Liberty Island, there are two guys talking about Gunther's augs outside. They're facing away from you and you can get 'em from behind, but if you go with the baton or prod, the other guy will start shooting you while you're dealing with the first (and likely kill you on Realistic). You can waste a gas grenade or you can shoot a cloud of pepper spray to temporarily stun both of them, then switch to the baton or prod and finish them one by one.

Same situation with the merc and NSF soldier up near the top in the area with the three gas grenade traps.

tl;dr: use it on pairs or groups of three where gas grenades would be a waste

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

bartkusa posted:

Similarly, if a camera is watching over it's controlling console, you can jump out, activate the console, then duck behind corners/cover while the console is executing its opening animation.
No need. If a camera is watching its console, just walk right up and open that terminal like you own the place and the camera will respect you and leave you alone.

(the instant that terminal opens, cameras fail to see you, even if you're right in front of it. Early example: the terminal/camera by where they're holding Gunther in Liberty Island)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
More strength aug stuff:

Area 51, the little shed directly behind you at spawn, you can enter through the roof if you have strength (to move a box) + speed (to jump onto it)

The barracks leading to the 747 hangar, you can enter through the window on the side into the room with the footlockers instead of walking through the front door

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Male Man posted:

You can't get into the secret basement, since the code is some 6-digit monstrosity they never tell you in the game (once you're supposed to be in there, they change the code to what it's supposed to be).
It's 7482 before you're supposed to be there (which changes to 1997 when you are supposed to be there). Also you can lock yourself into the underground compound if you use the keypad outside to swing the painting shut behind you, because there's no way to open it again from the inside. I did that once by accident. :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I always do this in the missile silo level: knock out the dick in the bottom of the silo, carry him up top, and center his body over the silo doors. When the missile launches, it will pick him up and take him with it. gently caress you, unimportant forgettable bad guy!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

stratdax posted:

Well, I started this game with the best intentions. Explore every nook and cranny, don't kill any NSF, read every article, read every email. And for awhile, I was successful. On Liberty Island, I knocked out two people.
psst

if you were going for a nonlethal thing here, you have to knock out literally every NSF on Liberty because UNATCO slaughters everyone still standing

hth

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Amethyst posted:

Is there any use for the plasma gun? I remember scoffing with disgust when I tried it in the unatco Bot Bay, it took 3 or 4 shots to kill a bot, when the gep gun did it in one. I assume it's good against humans, but they are easy enough to kill with conventional weapons.

In fact the GEP gun seems to be the best all round heavy weapon in the game, and it's hilarious that they give it to you in the first minute.
The GEP is the best heavy weapon and the first one you get

The plasma rifle is the worst heavy weapon and the last one you get

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dr ShinyDistraction posted:

I can remember one time i sprinted over to the fight and took out a bunch of NSF and people at HQ said I was a hero
Yeah, you can totally help them if you're genocidal. I think you personally have to kill a certain number of terr'ists, like maybe 3.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Another alternate conversation some of ya might not know about : During your escape, you can stop by Manderley's office and chat with him and Walton. Snipe Manderley before you enter the room and you'll have a different conversation one-on-one with Walton.

quote:

WALTON SIMONS
Splendid. You did our dirty work for us.

JC DENTON
Figured he was your type, a real hard-rear end.

WALTON SIMONS
On the contrary, he was somewhat too careful and urbane for that position. I'm
going to have to step in myself and restore discipline.

JC DENTON
Well, since that makes you my new boss, take a long look at Manderley's dead
body. Consider that my resignation; I don't have time to write a letter. :cool:

WALTON SIMONS
You can't run, Denton. Even if you escape, your killswitch is counting down.
You'll be dead in twenty-three hours. Another fifty billion dollars down the
drain.

JC DENTON
We'll see about that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You only need the LAM :ssh:
Alternatively, you only need the barrels :ssh:

Overkill is never a bad thing, though.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Gynovore posted:

Depending on the difficulty level and your Demolitions skill, one LAM may or may not be enough. Two will always work.
If you just carry the three barrels from the cargo bay and block her path with them, she will die. the combined explosion of the three barrels is plenty. The way NPCs handle obstructing objects is as follows:
1. Is it destroyable? If yes, run through it, destroying it. If no,
2. Is it pushable? If yes, push it forward. If no,
3. Go around.

So Anna will run straight through the barrels, exploding them and killing her. Also, if you block the passage with a large metal crate from the hangar and put another crate behind it to keep it from moving, Anna will think it's pushable and try running through but be unable to move it, keeping her from entering the room, which is one of those "nobody has to die" ways of handling the situation.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Mathemagician posted:

on-site procurement challenge
How does this one work? Do you have to empty out your inventory in every new area or what?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

I had a weird thing happen when I was trying to help Miguel escape. I killed all the guards in the detention block then told him to make a break for it. He left his cell, walked down the hall, and stood next to the desk staring at the wall for a few seconds
This always happens here for some reason - at least, it does for me. I just let him tail me. Unfortunately, I'm using Biomod's passive silent footsteps on my current playthrough so I'm used to running around all over, but Miguel's footsteps alerted some guards in UNATCO who promptly slaughtered him. RIP Miguel. :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
My current strategy is "gently caress stealth, I am going to gently caress you guys up with this machinegun / these rockets / this sword." It's pretty liberating after getting so used to the game as a stealth shooter to just burst into a room with guns blazing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I knocked Louis Pan out by throwing a vase at his head, then I dumped him in the canal. Shifter really should give you points for that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Found something nifty at the gas station. At the very beginning, you have to get the key from the bums (or by the corpse) to open that little drainage tunnel to the station proper. The door you unlock is breakable and pickable, and behind it is a regular unlocked iron bar door. You can use the key to LOCK that door, though, and it's inf strength / inf pick. That, combined with the giant open area with almost nothing in it that you start in, leads me to believe they originally planned for there to be more to do before you get to head up to the gas station and getting the key would have been required, rather than optional, in order to open the barred door.

Just a guess.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it kinda sucks if you want to get the legs aug at the bottom, though
Depending on the path you choose, you can pass it on the way in if that's more convenient for ya.

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

I always climb onto a nearby building, blast everyone with my laser-guided pistol, and come in through the roof.
Thanks to Shifter/Biomod's ridiculously generous points rewards, I already had Experienced rifles by that point and sniped the hell out of everyone with the many boxes of rifle ammo you find around there.

one thing I'm not loving about Shifter, though: Snipe a guy in the head, 20 to 25 points. Knock him out, 15 points. Melee kill him, even if you get him before he ever notices you, only 10 points? Oh, and heavy weapons only give you like 5 or 7. As if this game needed any more incentive to use the sniper rifle all the time, now you get as many points as doing a secondary objective just for sniping a couple guards.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Willie Tomg posted:

It seemed so natural and sensible an approach to go into an alley, climb up the fire escape, ghost from rooftop to rooftop avoiding the defenses at ground level, sneak around back and override the generator's cooling system.

I didn't have to use videogame logic to figure out what the designers intended me to do. I got an objective and was able to take the most natural-feeling path through the environment to get to it.
That's one thing that makes that level so great - there are three distinct paths, but they have crossover sections that allow you to switch from one to the other. I also like being able to look down from the roofs into the alley and see the traps and such. It just feels so much more cohesive than having all the paths completely isolated and railroaded. I like the sub base level a lot for the same reason (except Tong[?] is a loving rear end for suggesting you go through the vents on the roof, because that's the worst path ever).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

J.theYellow posted:

There's a whole subplot involving that secret crawlspace, involving Sharon, the lady in the Alice in Wonderland dress, who you might meet in the ladies' restroom at UNATCO. She's been stealing from the armory, and if you run into her in the break room while trying to escape, she'll sell you stuff.
Yeah, it's just a little side thing.

quote:

SHANNON
Okay! I admit it! I'm the one who's been stealing from the HQ! It was me all
along. Kaplan, the false floor in Alex's office, everything that's missing... It
was me!
That's the only mention of the hidden area in Jacobson's office and it's a quick throwaway line you only hear the very last time you're in UNATCO, but there's different stuff under those floorboards every time you're there, so this is one of those things that really does encourage another playthrough.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Phobophilia posted:

Plus, Sam has learnt the touch of death, where he can walk up to someone an arms length away, lightly tap them with his palm, and they'll crumple to the floor.
What a coincidence! JC Denton can walk up to someone an arm's length away, lightly PROD with the PROD, and they'll crumple to the floor.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Torsade de Pointes posted:

What does he say? I always end up killing him.
WALTON SIMONS
You take another step forward, and here I am again, like your own reflection
repeated in a hall of mirrors.

JC DENTON
That makes me one ugly son-of-a-bitch. How'd my face get all marked-up with
bioelectrics?

WALTON SIMONS
I am the more advanced model, Denton. It's time for you to retire.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Ahaha, you can destroy the little roomba bots by stomping on them enough. It's even more fun than jumping on cats!
Be careful, though. On Shifter's Unrealistic, those little floor bots are likely to pick up a gun and fight back. I actually got killed by a medical bot with a flamethrower because I accidentally aggro'd it in a gunfight. :(

edit: What happens if you find Ambrosia on the freighter, don't give it to Dowd (by taking it out of your inventory for the conversation at the crypt), and take it with you to Vandenberg for Tong when he shows up? I suspect nothing would happen, but... I think I'll try it next time.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Angry Boat posted:

I think I can stop playing this game now. I was able to knock Maggie out by throwing an American Flag at her.

edit: is it possible to bring the non-inventory items (flags, vases, etc.) with you between levels?
I've carried metal boxes onto the plane to fortify Lebedev's room, so yes.

You can also definitely bring corpses / unconscious people. It's best to travel with a friend.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Don't worry. Saving Paul really isn't worth it at all.
What? He's totally important! Why, just think of all the times he springs his wisdom upon you, like in the very last level where you have to make your big choice and he basically says "do whatever man I don't really care!"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

DVD Drive posted:

I guess I can't rule out that possibility. Can npcs unlock doors without being scripted to?
Yes! There are a few places where you can force this to happen for your own amusement. Nicolette DuClare can open the locked wine celler if you go in first and lock the door behind you. Tiffany Savage will open the garage door she's locked in if you tell her to make a break for it with the door still locked. You can escape from UNATCO without killing Anna if you freak her out and she runs towards the INF-locked door, opening it automatically.

Note that the NPC doesn't actually unlock the door, though. It will be open, but still locked, so if something causes it to close again, it will remain locked.

Speaking of that Paris apartment, holy poo poo the proportions are retarded in there. The ceilings are like 20 feet high and the furniture looks tiny in comparison.

Iacen posted:

I'd be interested in something that doesn't fix stuff like the lockpick and data tool glitches, but gives all the stuff from Shifter.
What can I say, I like having enough lockpicks and data tools :shobon:
Carry a GEP Gun and you'll rarely find yourself without 20 of each!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Kitfox88 posted:

Wait you can upgrade your flashlight eyes? :psyduck: Is that something shifter adds that I never noticed?
Shifter. It makes your flashlight eyes slightly weaker than standard, but able to be upgraded so the light shines much farther and the radial glow around you is larger.

Diplomat, I did a total nonlethal run as well (including no knockouts on the boat), but I used totally different augs and I think I might have kept a sniper rifle handy for cameras. It's a hell of a fun experience, though. Oh, and my preferred distraction tool was the crossbow. :)

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Fuzz posted:

It also lets us divert this thread by having a discussion for good trophies.
Pacifist: Complete the game with no more than 2 kills (it's possible with 0 but requires some game breaking).

Official UNATCO Initiation: Complete the tutorial with one or fewer legs intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jesus Christ, JC! Should've prodded him to unconsciousness. He's suffered enough.
But then he'd bleed out from the bullet wounds! JC is a merciful god.