Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Twitch posted:

Great game, and it's definitely one I'll revisit every once in a while. I'm still going to wait at least a few days on Human Revolution, in case it's another Invisible War.
I and many other people can tell you first hand that it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Farbtoner posted:

While I applaud your courage as coming out as someone who Doesn't Like A Thing, I don't supposed you could have actually gone to the trouble to explain why you didn't like it?
And he was never heard from again. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Or was it?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Anyway. One of the most important Deus Ex discussions that has been raging since the game's release - what is the true nature of the soy food?

Soy food fine print posted:

Seasoned with nanoscale generators, this TSP (textured soy protein) not only tastes good but also self-heats when its package is opened.
Now this suggests to me that it is not in the form of fake potato crisps. Perhaps some sort of faux soy style meat? The future truly is a wonderful place.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Grand Fromage posted:

I figured it was some kind of soy MRE type thing.
That's what they want you to think.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I'd just like to chime in as a long time Deus Ex player that there is pretty much no reason not to use Biomod, even if it's your first ever run. It makes the augs good and just overall makes the game better.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Alabaster White posted:

I tried a Hard mode run recently, where I used less popular skills like Demolition, Environmental Training, and Swimming.
Demolition is surprisingly good; once you get used to it, LAMs can outperform the GEP gun for bot killing and lockpicking, and EMP/Gas/Scramble grenades have a larger blast radius which helps with crowd control. Swimming is alright. I wouldn't recommend upgrading too much, but the difference between Untrained and Trained is actually very noticeable, and there's enough water in the game to justify it. Besides, it's only like, 675 skill points.

Environmental Training, on the other hand, is poo poo. Early in the run, I picked up the Hazmat suit on Liberty Island and was quite pleased; it boosted the resistance up to about 50% at Trained, allowing me to use Gas Grenades and the Prod together to manage large crowds non-lethally, and it lasted about 90 seconds. Unfortunately, that's the only good suit, it seems. Ballistic Armor also reduces damage by 50% at Trained, but it only lasts about 20 seconds! Thermoptic Camo and the Goggles are even worse, lasting roughly 15 seconds each before being used up. I couldn't get any data on the Rebreather because I installed Aqualung and simply used that instead. It's a shame, since actually putting points into Environmental Training seemed to make the suits actually quite powerful; it's just the ridiculously short battery times make them completely useless.
Why aren't you playing with Biomod installed? With Biomod, ballistic armor is only depleted when bullets hit you rather then just working for a lovely period of time. It also changes swimming to athletics which makes that upgrade even more worthwhile. It also unfucks all the augs.

Install Biomod.

edit: just realised I made a terrible error.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 28, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Upmarket Mango posted:

I installed Deus Ex, installed the latest patch, and then installed Deus Ex Fixer because the OP said I should and now the game won't start and I get an error message that says:

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Steam version? If so, did you run it once before installing this stuff?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're banging only if you save them from the hostage situation. Otherwise they're, you know, dead.
You've just blown my mind if this is true because I was sure I knew absolutely 1005 of everything there is to know about Deus Ex.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
How do you get the code for that door to the aug upgrade in Osgood and Sons on your first visit to Hell's Kitchen?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
With Biomod enemies can see it. Whenever I shine it in the vents during the subway station hostage rescue it alerts enemies.

Biomod is the only way to play Deus Ex by the way.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I am a massive advocate of Biomod but does it make the tutorial unpassable for anyone else? The bit where you need to make a long jump is impossible with the nerfed athletics skill.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Never ever play Deus Ex without Biomod. Ever.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I had to think hard about it but I think I was hooked the first time I hacked into a security panel and took manual control of the cameras.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Improvised weapons only: crowbar, fire-extinguishers, explosive barrels etc

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
So I am planning to save up some weapon upgrades for use at a later date. If I leave them in Paul's apartment (or wherever but why not Paul's apartment) will they remain there till my last visit? I have played this game a squillion times but I honestly can't remember if objects persist or not.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

fleshweasel posted:

which weapon are you holding out for?

Lo'Bruto. Might not even be moddable.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
It's because you haven't installed Biomod, which adds the functionality you are describing. Biomod is all you need to install because it also adds the Shifter enhancements. Everyone including new players should be playing with Biomod. gently caress vanilla it makes the augs next to useless.

Also I can confirm that items persist if you leave them in JC's office at UNATCO HQ. They even get stacked neatly on your shelf.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
The crate with lockpick and key behind the green room thingy on Liberty Island :stare:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Okay GMDX is driving me crazy with its "Failed to find Steam' errors. The things I've googled are complicated and don't make sense. I've tried downloading Deus Ex into its default directory but I get the same error. Anyone able to explain very simply how to get it working?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Samopsa posted:

Add the deus ex folder to PATH in your environment variables.
See here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/74503/failed-to-find-steam-when-starting

Yeah it still comes up after carefully following those instructions. drat.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Constr posted:

I've decided to finally finish this great game, and my stealth pistol is a weak piece of poo poo. Is there any way to fix this? Because a cyborg secret agent should really be using the fancy futuristicy gun imo.
Download Biomod and kill JoJo.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I've tried every fix I can find but I can't get GMDX to work :(

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Deus Ex Future Telling Ability - Master.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Filben's shack :)

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
William Barr is Walton Simons.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Keith Atherton posted:

You don’t need mods to enjoy the game on your first play IMO. They just add content that you’ll appreciate more on a replay
As a Deus Ex tragic just offering the opposing imo on this. Biomod is essential and unbreaks major parts of the game making augs more fun while not taking anything at all from the original experience. I don't see the point in stunting your first experience just so the second one can be more appreciated.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

jojoinnit posted:

I agree that no protagonist needs to have sex ever. Especially not in a world with nice safe growing vats for the next generation.
Counterpoint - Geralt.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Get Biomod and use the railgun instead.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
NEW DIALOGUE ALERT - Playing Biomod I maxed out Athletics and ran past Paul. Alex warns you Paul has important things to tell you and suggests you go back. Twenty years of heavy play and I've never heard that one. It isn't in the gamefaqs script.

edit: also after you run past and Alex's dialogue stops Paul starts to follow you. I lead him all the way to the security bot with Paul engaging every enemy along the way. Have also never done that.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Captain Walker posted:

Duel of the Fates: Kill Simons with the Dragon's Tooth Sword while he is wielding his own Dragon's Tooth Sword.

Tougher than it sounds, unfortunately; Simons usually sticks with the plasma gun unless he's cloaked, and he doesn't cloak until he's at low health, and I've never had much luck getting his health to "low" but not "dead"

Shoot the plasma gun.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
They are identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007