Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Jocks a dick, you bring him some liquor and hes like "No, thats warm"

What the gently caress do you want, a chilled Zima? Get The gently caress Out Of Here.

Just because you don't have any standards and eat chips you found a trash can doesn't mean Jock is the same way. He's got his own kickin' rad copter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is the Lightsaber the best melee weapon in the game? I just got it and I'm tearing bitches up. I don't even bother going Solid Snake on them anymore.

Yes, by far. It fucks everything up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AXE COP posted:

I never realised Jock could die! Guess watching the A BOMB video on youtube tipped me off...

Am I the only one who thought they'd saved Paul but then he ended up dying anyway? I frantically threw LAMs at the door so the MiBs blew up themselves and the ambush squad, then I left via the window and later got informed by Gunther that he was dead. I didn't realise there were more troopers in the hotel.

This reminds me, someone mentioned a sunken cargo ship around Liberty Island - what's that about?

It's more that the window is all that matters. I think you can kill everyone and leave by the window and he still dies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

A tad. Every faction in the game was after the same objectives, for different reasons. The contrived part was the way the ending - the protagonist joining one of the four sides - was determined by his actions in the final 20 minutes of the game, disregarding everything that came before that.

Eh, to be fair, that applies to 90% of games with multiple endings in general, good or bad. It's stupid, mind you, but it isn't like it is a stupidity exclusive to IW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think restricting freedom in the name of a better game experience is necessarily a bad thing. There's a limit to how much freedom you need to restrict, of course, and not allowing any freedom is pretty meh too. For a more linear and straightforward game, as opposed a Morrowind wide-open world, Deus Ex handled it pretty well. (Plot Forcefields is lame, but not as lame as "everyone talks to you from behind invincible glass screens")

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chunderbucket posted:

Is the dance ending accessible in game, or just by cheating? Google's making me think it's not.

It is. You have to carry the American Flag from early on in the level to Manderly's bathroom and flush the toilet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Whoa whoa hold on. There's a water entrance to Area 51? Holy poo poo.

I think this is my favorite part of any Deus Ex thread. "Wait, you can do WHAT?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Given some of the fiddly controls and small things that you have to precisely click on, I'm kind of baffled that they ported Deus Ex to PS2. How do you ever have a chance of disabling explosives?

A lot of people who play console games a lot don't generally have as much a problem with this as you'd think. With that said, Deus Ex on the PC is still a mind-bogglingly superior experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PUSSY BARON posted:

Why don't people like Liberty Island? Just because it's the beginning when they don't know how to play the game? I think the early NYC stuff is the best part that made it seem far better and more interesting than any other FPS I've played, but then it becomes a typical sci fi video game story.

I don't mind Liberty Island, but it doesn't display a lot of Deus Ex's strong points. By that point, there is very little variation in your character, you have no Augs, your skills are mostly poo poo, and so-on. It does do a great job of displaying branching paths and hidden objectives, but part of what makes Deus Ex stand out is the wide range of ways you can alter yourself and still be effective (Outside of a few completely useless-rear end things, mostly involving swimming or environmental protection.)

If you really like the parts of Deus Ex revolving around using your superpowers instead of the awkward unpowered/unskilled shooting/stealth stuff, then Liberty Island is a barrier to the point where your superpowers really start to come into play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PUSSY BARON posted:

Oh, last time I played I didn't really use the augs much, I don't remember if it was on easy mode or what. I might as well play it again

Well, Deus Ex is a cool game because you don't have to play it with the augs if you don't want, but for some people, it's an important aspect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prosaic posted:

If I apply weapon mods to a weapon, then drop the weapon and pick up the same type of weapon later (ie dropping one pistol and picking up another), will the new weapon retain the upgrades? Because I just gave that hotel guy my pistol and I'd rather not lose all my weapon mods on it.

Weapon mods are exclusive to that particular version of the weapon, they're not universal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

It seems to me like weapon balance was really one of the weaker parts of Deus Ex. There isn't a ton of point in using weapons other than the tooth (baton early on), prod (for early on and MiBs), pistol, sniper, and GEP gun. It would be pretty hard to balance the usefulness of a flamethrower with that of the GEP gun, because one of them works at all ranges, but for instance the plasma rifle should absolutely annihilate any living thing it touches if it's going to take up as much inventory space as it does and have so little ammo available compared to rockets.

edit: I wish i knew how to edit the game rules as I would probably make my own set of modified weapons. Doesn't the SDK not work in Windows later than XP?

No, the weapon balance in Deus Ex is right off. There is such an odd gap between certain things that it feels really weird, and certain weapons are just overpowered for what they are. Honestly, as much as I enjoy DE, a lot of the balance is really off and could have been looked at. Some skills could have used a little adjustment. (I just said this in the Deus Ex 3 topic, but seriously, roll swimming into Environmental Training.) Same goes for augs, where some could have used buffs here and there, although some mods do this.

I don't think everything needs to be 100% equal, but if you're not going to go for ideal balance, then everything in the game should be actually useful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

standardtoaster posted:

Is the second Deus Ex any good?

Not really. It has a lot of mechanic problems that make it feel clunky and awkward. It's not the worst game ever made, but really not worth your time either. As a followed up to Deus Ex, it is absolutely embarrassing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Here's something I've been wondering about - in the MJ12 breakout mission, what happens if you escape from the facility without talking to/retrieving the datavault from Paul('s corpse)? Daedalus doesn't give you the passcode until you do it, but if you've played the game enough times, you have it memorized, so you can escape without finding Paul. Does anything interesting happen later in the game, or does the game just freak out because you did something it wasn't expecting you to do?

I think that's one of the places where you can just break the plot and it continues as if you did things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

$2.50? Christ, I need to just start sending it to everyone I know who for some reason hasn't played it yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OrangeGuy posted:

I could use a copy.

Here.

Sure, what the hell. Once it accepts you as a friend, I'll send it along.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I bought it when it came out, and then again when it got a GotY edition, and then again on the PS2 (It was $1, so why the hell not) and then again on Steam. I am a terrible whore for Deus Ex.