Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shifty Scandaroon posted:

Has anybody figured out how to open that god drat safe in Manderly's office?

There's... a safe in Manderly's office? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Help, the boat on liberty island doesn't work, what do I do?!

Stop downloading game rips from 2001?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is the best Deus Ex video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDM0rGxtpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtJMdExpNw&feature=related :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ArcMage posted:

There never were kill xp bonuses, though. Shifter added both the takedown and stealth bonuses.

Either 'skillful' combat or stealth is the 'correct' way to play Shifter; if you blunder into firefights like a dummy and just tank your way through everything you don't really get any reward. I don't think he's managed to implement rewards for well-arranged traps, either.

What he means is that you should either get points for both (don't disable anything) or not get points at all (don't use shifter). That way, one approach isn't necessarily better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BernieLomax posted:

I suspect that schism tracker is closer to the original environment of the tracker used to create the music (Impulse Tracker).

Also, Alexander Brandon made a remix over at ocremix.

Holy poo poo, that is awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Daktar posted:

I think Tonnochi Road may be one of the finest levels for vertical exploration ever designed. There's so many options, particularly if you have the speed aug at a decent lavel. Just now I went up to the floor under renovation in Queens Tower and shot out the door that provides access to Maggie Chow's elevator shaft. I climbed down and used the elevator override keypad to ride to the roof. I smashed my way through the skylight and landed in front of Maggie in a hail of glass. I put a single pistol bullet right between her eyes, then did the same to her maid. Most stylish assassination ever.

You can... get on the roof? :psypop:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why is the plasma gun so awesome when Simons uses it and so lovely when you take it?

Because he has unlimited ammo and can run full speed with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

Wait, Deus Ex editor? What? There's a Deus Ex editor? :wth:

Like pretty much all games based on the unreal engine, yes. It's in the system folder. DXed.exe, I believe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero Star posted:

Crawl through the vents to the office at the back of the nanotech lab. Hack the computer and release the greasels. Get back in your vent and wait. :)

Greasels can fit in vents. :tinfoil:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tanith posted:

How does one roleplay with a GEP gun?

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six rockets or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a GEP gun, the most powerful lock pick in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: How many clip mods did he install?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IanCaw posted:

Trick question, the GEP gun reloads after every shot!

I knew someone would bring that up.

:pulls out DTS:

Feelin' lucky, punk?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Happy Birthday, Deus Ex. May people keep discovering new things on their thousandth playthrough for another 10 years!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Astroturf Man posted:

This is one of the awesome design things about DX1; there's not actually many choices here:

* Kill Lebedev & Anna
* Kill Lebedev
* Let Anna Kill Lebedev
* Kill Anna

There's more than that. As far as I know, it's:

*Kill Anna before she kills Lebedev and let Lebedev live
*Kill Anna before she kills Lebedev and kill Lebedev anyways
*Kill Lebedev before Anna does and let Anna live
*Kill Lebedev before Anna does and kill Anna anyways
*Let Anna kill Lebedev and kill Anna in retaliation
*Let Anna kill Lebedev and let Anna live
*Make Anna run away in pain and let them both live <- Not actually sure if this is possible, but I'd imagine it should be.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The sign of a true Deus Ex developer is that they think "What if the player tries to get up here, even though there's no real reason to? Whelp, better have whatever happens make sense, just in case." as opposed to "What if the player tries to get up here, even though there's no real reason to? Whelp, better clip it off, just in case."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I figured it was a holdover from how the old Unreal games let you change your dominant hand or have you two hand every weapon and they just left that set to center instead of right by mistake.

I just imagine that he holds it that way because it's heavy as all gently caress. It is a prototype, after all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Frankosity posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun has an interview with Tom Chick, the games reviewer who (apparently) infamously gave Deus Ex a 3/10 and never completely lived it down right here.

I can't believe this guy thought that Alpha Protocol is what Deus Ex should have been.

quote:

Contrast this to Alpha Protocol, which focuses first and foremost on gameplay, confined to smaller more manageable boxes representing warehouses or enemy bases. For all its faults, Alpha Protocol knows how far it can and can’t reach.

This guy has to be functionally retarded.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lork posted:

Not hard at all, except for the recoloring part. At least if you're like me and have no visual art skills.

I expect to see WP grenades in the next release. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I guess this.

Is there anything that makes that game tolerable to actually play?

Don't play Deus Ex first. Alternatively, hit yourself over the head with a frying pan until you have the intelligence of an average 6th grader.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ansob. posted:

Make icons then see if the Shifter or Biomod guys are game for including them in their next update.

That is the biomod guy. :ssh:

Anyways, you can make the icons by just loading the model in the editor and taking a screenshot. I'd do it, but I'm not at home right now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ansob. posted:

:aaaaa:

WP grenades better be in the next version of Biomod, then. :colbert:

I'd imagine it will be. It just needs icons, which I guess I'll do when I get home.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 8, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grr, I can't get any model viewers to play nice with the format. Can you send me a screenshot of it in-game, and I'll just crop the drat thing?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lork posted:

Yeah, I'm on the cusp of releasing a new version with some pretty big changes, but after that I think I'm going to be done with BioMod for the near future, other than fixing any outstanding bugs that pop up. Have no fear though, you'll get your WP grenades.

Will this do?

Close enough for government work.

quote:

Like most of the boss type enemies in the game, Simons can't be knocked out. If you absolutely must leave him alive, you'll have to evade him.

Edit: Or not. Apparently he can be hurt by tranquilizer darts, but he has massive amounts of health and takes 10% damage from them. So, uh, good luck with that.

Thanks, now I have to replay this game so I can carry Simons' unconscious body to Area 51 and drop him in front of Bob Page. "Here's your bitch, Page."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lork posted:

It turns out it's not so simple, unfortunately. Apparently the UT engine requires some bullshittery with palettes in order to do masked textures. Since I assume you have Photoshop installed already, would you mind running those through this process? After that I pretty much just have the readme to update and then I can release the new version.

I'm using GIMP right now, but I'm sure it's similar enough. Gimme a few minutes.

Edit:

Turns out it's even easier in GIMP than photoshop. That's a nice change of pace.

http://sites.google.com/site/shadow516/wpgrenade.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 10, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I'm going to the store in a bit to pick up that issue (assuming they have it at Tops). If a mod okays it, I'll scan the article and post it here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stuntman posted:

I was halfway through the game and decided to start a nonlethal game. Then, I saved it OVER THE SLOT WITH MY HALF-DONE SAVE :argh:

This just means you get to play 50% more Deus Ex. :colbert:

Edit: Also, there's absolutely no reason to overwrite save games anyways. It's not like it takes up a ton of space.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Penguingo posted:

Use the little blue disc battery cells from your inventory, or get up close and personal with an orange maintenance bot. You tend to find energy cells in crates, or on the bodies of technologically advanced enemies. Maintenance bots tend to hang out where maintenance needs doing.

This is something I love about Deus Ex. Everything seems like it should be there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

imsuxok? posted:

Were you able to get Gunther out of prison? I don't see how to sneak past that guy sitting in the chair facing his cell.

Run to the terminal and turn the turret against him?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AXE COP posted:

Not possible with 0 computers skill.

nsf001
smashthestate

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm sad that I have that memorized. That and 0451 and satcom, unatco_001 (I do wonder whatever came out of that darts game)

They never played it. I killed them while escaping from UNATCO. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Good, so burning the box with the game inside it is

Post pictures, and then hit yourself for destroying the best game ever made.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aesion posted:

Is the false floor connected to that brick in the wall near the pinball machine? I've always wondered what that did.

I knew about the floor from my first playthrough, but I don't think I've ever seen this brick. Let me look real quick.

Edit: Yeah, there's no moving brick in Jacobson's office in any of the visits to UNATCO. You must be thinking of something else.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 19, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe you can, but as someone who's played Liberty Island 2-3 times, bullshit. You'd have guards aggro'd by the time you're a few steps off the docks.

Now, maybe that's a useful learning tool for the rest of the game. Doesn't change the fact that playing LI for the first time is easily the worst part of the game for all the reasons I've mentioned.

Then you're a retard that can't figure out not to walk directly in front of guards. I can literally run through liberty island without taking a single hit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So did you do that the first time you ever booted up the game?

No, I prodded everyone with the prod. Also, I was 11.

Edit: To be fair, I've yet to beat the stealth course in the training mission without cheesing it with the thermoptic camo. Although, I'm sure I could do it now. Don't really have any desire to, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 22, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Then congratulations for replying to "this is a poor introduction for players who have never played Deus Ex before" with "you're a retarded noob."

No, I'm replying to "Liberty Island sucks because it's too hard, and I'm a retard."

Is it a bit jarring to have almost no direction the first time you play? Yeah. Is it pretty much a crash course? Sure. Is it impossible to do without using guns? No. Is it too hard? Not in the slightest.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is a perfectly valid criticism, Deus Ex's economy is brutal to newcomers as anybody who spent 2000 credits on a pair of single-use nightvision goggles from Smuggler will tell you.

Yeah, but being taken to the bank by a black market dealer makes sense when you think about it. Besides, there's nothing you really need money for, so it's not like it gimps you.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 22, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I said literally a page ago that Liberty Island isn't hard, just tedious.

It's not even tedious. It was designed so you could spend an hour exploring every nook and cranny, or you could literally finish it in 3 or 4 minutes. 6 if you take the time to break Gunther out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're talking about things you know from experience. I'm talking about the level's function as a tutorial and as an introduction to what the rest of the game plays like. (Which, for the most part, is "much more fun than Liberty Island!")

But go ahead and keep calling me a retard while I explain the pretty common experience of people who don't get into the game on their first try.

The reason people don't get into the game on their first try is because they don't go into it in the right mindset, not because Liberty Island sucks. It's a great tutorial level because it really highlights the "this isn't your average shooter" aspect. If you don't get that, then you are a retard.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Whatever. Go on believing there are literally no flaws in the game whatsoever if you want. I'm glad I'm already sold on it, because hearing people defend the first level made me think they were all insane to praise the game at all.

There are tons of flaws in the game. Liberty Island being boring is not one of them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Liberty Island frequently leaves people with Quick Scoop's impression of the game when three levels later you can be happily sniping and gunning your way across the rooftops if that's how you want to play. It might even be a great level, but it's still a lovely introduction.

It's not the introduction. There is a tutorial level, you know. That just leaves it as a great level.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

God, I'm terrible at this, I stole the hard part, and I still can't make it look right. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

orange lime posted:

Doesn't he say "you're a jackass"?

That he does. I may fix it tomorrow, or not. It's not really very good to begin with. v:shobon:v