Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

That just reminded me of the cat lady in Paris.

Green Greasy Greasels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

What's wrong with Deus Ex's leveling system? I like it a lot.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

^^ Uh, TNM just came out a few months ago

CaptainWinky posted:

What bugged me about it was that it was technically well done with good level design and gameplay, but I still couldn't get into it because of the retarded LOL I CAN HAS INTERWEBS poo poo. I mean there's actually an item called "lollerskates."
The lollerskates were hidden items that killed you by ramming you into a wall if you used them. I can accept a few internet jokes played like that. The vast majority of the mod's content has nothing to do with internet meme jokes. For the most part it's played like a real place except with the occasional term like "Moderator" or "server" thrown around.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Phenotype posted:

It's been in development forever. The big shame is that they spent so much time and effort (it's entirely VOICE-ACTED) on a project that could have been loving awesome, and they chose to base it on forum drama.
It's not based on forum drama. It's based IN a forum, but the events are just made up Deus Ex conspiracy stuff. Seriously, TNM owns, and if you can't be bothered to hold down space and skip some dialog you don't like for gameplay that lives up to THE BEST VIDEOGAME EVER MADE IE DEUS EX then there's something horribly wrong with you.

There are other instances in the game like Manderly's safe. For example, the Buddha statue in the case in Maggie Chow's apartment was originally supposed to be on a trigger to sink down into the floor. If you make a loud noise near it (say, shooting a gun) the guards in the back room will come out of their break room and run into the wall behind the buddha statue trying to get to you, because there's AI pathing that leads through it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Deus Ex's audio as a whole is completely unmatched

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Lilac1 posted:

Neither did Turok 2.
By your standards: Turok 2 = Great game

Also, you shoot dinosaurs with a loving cerebral drill, how unique is that?
Turok Rage Wars on the N64 was my first multiplayer shooter, also my first game with achievements in it

I got all of them

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

This was a huge problem in Morrowind where the world was huge and directions to certain dungeons were often vague or inaccurate.
This was intentional to make you actually explore and give an in-universe reason for why the dungeons you were exploring weren't already looted ahead of time.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I would play Deus Ex through the first time without the kill XP bonuses. The other ones like stealth and hygiene (Shifter rewards you with a small bonus for flushing a dirty toilet :v:), but the kill ones might encourage a single playstyle, and if you're ok with killing dudes it definitely encourages hunting down every enemy.
Oh, and Explosive 10mm. That stuff should be earned by subsequent playthroughs.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I can't go back to the Fallout games anymore. They hurt my eyes. Dunno what it is, I can still play other old brown 2d games like Diablo and Starcraft, but Fallout's just meh. I was never a real big fan of the gameplay, either, and once you've explored the game once there's not much in it, for me at least, to explore it again.

I've replayed Deus Ex over a dozen times, though.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Weapon mods are unique to a single weapon. The armor thing keeps your real inventory weapons, however it does lose your ammo and grenades (unless you have shifter in which case your grenade count is properly remembered. Ammo's still gone though). There are two unique sniper rifles in Shifter, but I can only recall where one is: Paris in a locked apartment building

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Weedle posted:

Are you sure? It's been a while since I last played, but I seem to recall that the game keeps track of your ammo independently of your inventory, so even if you throw away all of your guns you still have ammo.
It's been a while since I played so it's possible I'm wrong, but I recall that scripted even emptying your ammo and there just being a ton extra laying in the armory. BRB, gonna go check and edit this post.

Edit: Huh, what do you know, they leave all your bullets on you when they lock you up.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing.
The Omar you mean? The Omar make up for a lot of IW's failings in my eyes.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

The JC ending. That was also the only really good ending in DX1 too, unless you really liked Escape from L.A. (and I admit to naming at least one of my JCs Snake Plissken).
I never liked either "JC rules the world" ending, because they always felt more like "Helios wearing JC's skin rules the world". I don't trust that machine to only be half. :colbert:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I just tried DXMP for the first time in years and as luck would have it ended up on a server which disabled augs, set everyone's skill levels to max, and removed the GEP gun, LAMs, and the plasma rifle. Worst game ever, everyone just ran around with 100% accurate sniper rifles picking the other team off.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I tried DXMP again, and found yet another modded server, but in this case modded more towards AWESOME. Custom weapons based on Unreal models, low gravity, Duke Nukem 3d music playing, on a custom map. Only two other guys playing though, and on the second map (Pac-man themed), I owned them both by sneaking around, listening for those loud as hell Deus Ex footsteps, and hunting the other players down with an "Enforcer" shotgun, so they both quit. Fun as hell while it lasted, though. Wish DXMP let you see the server name while you're ingame (or info like ping or a team selection screen), or I'd post the name so we could all join together on it and have a blast.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

One last trip into DXMP tonight:
Another modded server, this time with infinite bioenergy and free augs for everybody. This could've worked, except that they seemingly randomized what augs I got when I joined the server, ignoring what I had selected in my preferences, so no speed aug, and the augs on each F key didn't match up with my hotkeys, so I uselessly had a key close at hand for Power Recirculator (which was extra useless seeing as the server had infinite bioenergy). The server also was playing straight deathmatch instead of a team mode, on the absolute worst possible map for this- it only had two spawn points. Horrid. One of them was open and kinda big and lots of people ended up fighting in it, but the other was a little shack with two closable doors, no windows, and and auto-turret outside.
Some jackass named Hujston had decided he was going to spawncamp, because obviously there's nothing more important in a five man DXMP game than score. He hacked the turret as his own, stood on top the weapons so newly spawned unarmed players couldn't grab them, and killed everyone who spawned in his hut. I found this unsporting, so I spawned in front of him, used my brief invincibility time to run out the door, avoided the turret killing me, ran to the other spawn, avoided death there, grabbed some gear, ran back to the other spawn, and then walked in the back door and headshot him with a couple throwing knives.
His next two spawns were also in that shack and I thoroughly enjoyed killing him, only after letting him first pick up a gun and try and fail to defend himself. After the third time I killed him however, my connection to the server dropped, so I quit.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

So, do you guys usually play with the default keybinds or do you remap them?

I got agitated at the right mouse button being the "universal activation and weapon holstering" button so I changed it to the more modernized "E" as the activation button. I'm almost having trouble adjusting to it at the moment though. Hmm. Guess we'll see which way ends up working better.
Right click's use so Q and E can be lean. Though occasionally in a stealth-less playthrough I'll abandon those keys in favor of more aug hotkeys.

The only "unique" key binds in Deus Ex that I not only keep, but emulate in every other game I can, is the Quicksave and Quickload default binds. Numpad + and / is so much better than f5 and f9, seriously. I love being able to just reach out my mouse hand's thumb and tap them without taking my hands off any normal keys.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 18, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Weedle posted:

I assume you mean a 1.6GHz Atom, as 800MHz Atoms don't exist. Most Atom-powered netbooks have Intel integrated graphics chipsets, which are terrible for gaming. It might be playable, but it'll probably be pretty choppy most of the time.
Intel integrated chips are terrible for gaming but Deus Ex is so old that it still doesn't matter, especially with how low a res netbooks run at. The last time I played through Deus Ex it was on a PC with an Intel 8 chipset, and most netbooks are on Intel 9 series. As long as the netbook guy doesn't want to play TNM or that one DX mod set in Tokyo with the retarded big maps, he'll be fine.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Weedle posted:

I based my response on my own experience trying to play DX on a Lenovo netbook with a 1.6GHz Atom, 2GB of RAM, a GMA 950, and Windows 7. My framerate generally hovered around 10-15 and rarely went above 20.
YMMV due to OS or settings or maybe the processor but on a 2.2Ghz Celeron machine, with 1GB, XP, and an 828 chip, I got average 35 FPS. Just loaded up FRAPS and tested it. The lowest it dipped was 27 FPS when I went on a random DXMP server and four guys were fighting with plasma rifles and gep guns at once.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

So could somebody link to the mods that add the fatness slider or GEP-launched homing cats?

If not, I will have to send you all back to the people.

...in a body bag. :c00l:
I don't know about the GEP cats, but there is no "fatness slider mod". It's a natural setting on every entity in Deus Ex. They can be edited in UnrealEd, or by changing it on the fly using console commands (hit T, erase the say part, and type the command). To make stuff fat, or skinny the command is
set [thing] fatness [number]
And to make them physically bigger or smaller
set [thing] drawscale [number]

Drawscale defaults to 1 for all objects, and fatness 128. Useful names to use for thing are "actor", which effects every single thing in the world, "pawn", which is every character (PC and NPC), "scriptedpawn", which is just the NPCs, and "human" for just the PC. Human won't effect your first person view (hand or gun), just your third person view in cutscenes etc. Instead you need the individual weapon name for the held gun (such as "weaponpistol" "weaponrifle" "weaponassaultgun" "weaponlam" etc), and for the hand "JCdentonmale".

Here's me fighting some fat terrorists with my fat gun.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

AXE COP posted:

This reminds me, someone mentioned a sunken cargo ship around Liberty Island - what's that about?
Off the dock where you meet Harry Filben, at the bottom of the water. Its hatch is locked, and inside are some weapon mods and a sawn off shotgun.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

CaptainWinky posted:

A DX mod where the player gets to stay loyal to UNATCO and crush the NSF/Silhouette/X-51/triads could be cool if done right.
There was one in development called UNACTO Born, as of Sept 2009 they were semi-active in development, but their site redirects to "gtagaming.com" right now so I think it's most likely dead.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

That reminds me of what's definitely the best Deus Ex mod nobody seems to remember: Hotel Carone.
http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/
Its setup is that JC remains with UNATCO and is called in to deal with an unrelated terrorist incident. Carone also made a very handy add-on .u file for modders that allowed for fully functional elevators with multiple stops made easily (There's one of these in Deus Ex, near the end of the game, and it's a hack job, heavily worked around the default failings of DeusExMover using Mission Script and it can only visit 3 floors).

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

I want to download this mod, but I'm a little afraid. A little while back I installed TNM, and when I tried to uninstall it, it ended up mostly breaking Deus Ex (which apparently recently fixed itself), and now I'm too wary to install any mods.

What a shame. :smith:
I don't see how either TNM or Hotel Carone could break your Deus Ex directory, seeing as they install themselves into discrete folders within the Deus Ex directory, copy some base files, and then use their own exe/ini/etc to run. If it's an issue though you can always copypaste your DeusEx directory and make a duplicate. The game won't care, its registry/installation stuff doesn't give a poo poo about where the game is or what its folder is named when it's ran. Back when I was making Deus Ex mods myself, I had two copies of my install so I didn't clutter up my normal one.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Just finished The Nameless Mod. Planning to go through it again soon. The amount of attention to detail and work that has been put into the mod in general is impressive. And going back to the "plot important NPC invulnerability" discussion - the mod does a better job of working with that than either "real" game. There are 5-6 NPCs you can't kill, and 5 of them have an explanation that makes sense in-game (there's also a building with 4-5 guys you can't kill and have your game continue if you choose one faction)
Regarding people you can't kill my favorite little detail in TNM is that you can kill the WorldCorp CEO if you really want to, but when you go to leave the room you're stopped by the "Narcissus Entity" (From the Cassandra Project, Keiron Gellon's aborted Deus Ex mod) who informs you that while you're technically free to kill anyone, removing the CEO from the plot would require rewriting everything so instead of supporting the action they're just going to put you back in time, don't do it again. Then they force you to reload your last save.
However, seeing this event is "saved" by the game, and tracked externally to your save progress. Seeing it, as well as 2-3 other fourth wall breaking scenarios, are key to unlocking a hidden ending of the game.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

That's what you get when you create a Subtractive map in Unreal Editor. lovely poo poo poo poo. You'll see a lot of those in some corners once you get to NY.
It has nothing to do with the map being Subtractive. They actively set that surface to nodraw to save on performance, because they didn't expect anybody to see it. Also, back when IW was made, with the Unreal 2 engine, there wasn't an Additive-based mode in Ued. That was added for Unreal 3 and on.
I still prefer working with Subtraction, though. :colbert:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Tecman posted:

did the same for RedSun2020 too. It ran, for the short period of time that I tested this mod, just fine.
Is Red Sun 2020 any good as a whole? I remember trying it years ago, going through an entirely 100% pitch black map, and ending in a city environment with no focus that ran horribly, so I quit.

uncleKitchener posted:

I know

but maybe you should stop being a nostalgic old-timer :smug:

Just a suggestion.
:(

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Tecman posted:

gently caress, playing The Nameless Mod some more revealed a ton of awesome poo poo once you reach the WorldCorp Labs and the experiments within. On one hand, you have this lovely internet forum fanfiction circlejerk gimmick. On the other, this is as close as you'll ever get to playing some more Deus Ex.

Oh, it also has a sewer level that rivals VTM: Bloodlines in shittyness. :(
You don't have to enter the sewers, they're an optional side-route to break into certain buildings, and find crap hidden down there. My first playthrough I skipped them entirely. Extreme prejudice against sewer levels.
I don't understand how TNM could be considered fan-fiction, unless you consider it as fanfic for PlanetDeusEx. But that's not the actual focus of the mod. It's just a bunch of self-insertion poo poo because back in THE DAY it was a whole lot easier to get people to go "OK I'll make x for your mod" if you offered to put them in it as a character.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I am, and I wasn't trying to troll. I'm one of those guys that likes to play without reading strategy guides, faqs, or anything. I'm trying to do it just based on my own abilities.

Although I'm getting frustrated to the point where I'm going to have to seek out a walkthrough or something. I'm trying to play stealthy but the weapons don't work well. Pepper spray is useless, the charge prod only lasts for about 10 seconds and then the enemies run after me, and the pistol takes too long to kill anyone. Honestly, what are my options?

^^^ Is playing on normal really a better way to go?

:raise:
If you sit still with a gun out, you'll notice your reticule shrinking. This is your aim steadying. Once it gets to the smallest level, aim for their heads and shoot them. Your Q and E buttons are lean, and leaning does not effect your accuracy. You can hide behind things, steady your aim, lean out, and then shoot them in the heads. If enemies you can't take are chasing you run back to the docks you start on and the robot will kill them for you.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Biomod seems to restrict one hit KOs, Thief-style. The instant knock-out effect of prodding the back of someone's knees only works if they haven't seen you before. If you run up to someone and prod their face, and then swing around them to try to take them out with a second hit, it won't work, they'll need three to go down. Kinda annoying, because now I'm much lower on prod ammo than normal. I need to prod with the prod less I guess.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

The bunker with the short circuiting machinery inside? If so that's a new one for me.

Oh btw, does anyone still remember the passcode for the supply depot behind UNATCO HQ? I'm surprised I still remembered after 6 years 0451 hell yeah.
I remember this password because it's used in pretty much every game ever made by people from that group Ion Storm Austin came from. It's in both System Shocks off the top of my head, and a bunch of other games, and back in the day it was the code to the front door of the Origin offices.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think that's because MJ12 collapses the facility when they're finished contaminating the water with chlorine. Just my guess though.
contaminating the water with chlorine lol

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

Same here, although thats really not much to brag about. I think Hard is probably more difficult since Realistic actually decreases enemy health.
All the difficulty levels do in vanilla Deus Ex is apply a multiplier to the damage you take. The game has the capacity to change enemy health and likelihood to spawn by difficulty, but Deus Ex doesn't use any of that. Deus Ex also tracks health for every body part of NPCs just like it does for the player, however you'll almost never see an effect because they also have an overall health that drains with any damage, so by the time they've lost a limb they're dead in general. This can be used, however, to disarm invincible NPCs.
These extra settings are only used that I can recall by TNM and Hotel Carone. Carone uses it to change AI alertness, what they respond to, and how many security cameras there are, and TNM has a bunch of different difficulty knobs you can alter individually.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

scryspc

Yeah, I've never gotten that one either.
Scry specialist, possibly. Her augs/skills are stealth/spy oriented.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrying
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specialist_%28rank%29

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Male Man posted:

Can you get any of the cheats to work? Try something simple like "ghost" or "fly" (use "walk" to disable these). If you can't get them to function, try enabling cheats manually with the command "Set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled True". Watch the upper left corner of the screen. If you did it right, nothing should appear here. If you did it wrong, some message will appear.
Protip:
If you're going to manually turn cheats on instead of using the -haxor switch, you can type significantly less than that: "Set Human bcheatsenabled true"

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

What a shame.

Anyone mind posting a transcript of it? I just finished replaying, don't want to do it again so quickly.
I don't have a transcript but here's a summary: Lebedev tells Tracer that paul's brother is coming and Tracer tells Lebedev to kill JC because he's still loyal to UNACTO and they can't take any chances. Lebedev refuses, saying he can convince JC to join them.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

ultra-inquisitor posted:

I've heard people say that you can. There's actually a gap in the glass which is there to let the sound propagate, and some people claim it's possible to snipe them. But then the game crashes when it next needs to load Bob, because it's not expecting him to be dead. I've not seen it done, though.

Nah, the best thing to do with Maggie is to set her alight, and she'll often run straight out of the window.
The gap's not for sound, it's so you can't see into the VOID through the edges of the window. If the window brush was flush against the frame, the game engine would ignore the surface in between them, and not draw it, and instead you'd see through the wall at that point. Like this:

This doesn't apply to breakable glass (including glass made as "breakable glass" that's set as invulnerable) which is ignored when the map's compiled and surfaces like the ones between the glass and frame are removed for performance.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Modian posted:

Are there any active Deus Ex modding communities/forums anymore? I've been thinking about making a level pack for years but everytime I look for websites the scene seems near death. Now I know that can't be true since mods are still coming out. So where are they?
The last big one, DXEditing, died a few months ago when the hosting ran out.
The remainder of the DXEditing content was saved by OTP, you can find it here:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=f142f61a209a150f6cddd625c9f0b0e0
OTP's forums are basically the last refuge of Deus Ex modding. There are a few stragglers that post in other places, including GameFAQs, but everyone at least cross-posts on OTP.
For tutorials, go here (look at the hosted sites section):
http://www.planetdeusex.com/
I myself learned with this one:
http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor/tutorials.htm
I honestly thought IGN had killed the old Planet sites off a while ago, and started writing this post as if PDX was also dead. I don't have a clue why it's still alive.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Since everyone else is linking DX Youtube videos, here's a couple of mine:
Getting Miguel to kill Anna while escaping UNACTO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OngtULcSjU
Breaking into the UNACTO armory and stealing Carter's gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIhgnhVZMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I'm still pretty optimistic about DX3. Moreso than Thi4f at least, since they went with a subtitle instead of "Deus 3x"