Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s probably terrible, but I could do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’d be happy if they went down the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remaster route; the game is functionally identical to the original but much much prettier.

Its probably more feasible than a full blown remake.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Replaying Mankind Divided and just loving lol at Aria Argento turning into a total loving melt because I punched out a couple of cops while obtaining evidence from the bombed out train station.

Just as well she doesn’t appear to have found out that I went full 1984 Terminator on the ones in Golem City or she’d have to start some real hand wringing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After finishing off Mankind Divided again with a nice cop killing rampage and telling Aria off when she moaned about it, I really felt like replaying Human Revolution, as it’s probably been about 6-7 years since I last touched it.

Unfortunately in my new flat I don’t have a desk anymore, and my PC isn’t set up yet to be practical to use in a living room. Luckily thanks to an old promo freebie I was given back in my retail days...life, uh, finds a way.

It’s not the directors cut, it only runs in 720p, the frame rate chugs in anywhere larger than a corridor and the FOV is rather claustrophobic. None of this matters because it’s just such a good game and I honestly don’t worry about these things when I’m stuffing cops into air vents and building box forts around terminals so I can hack away in peace.

Some of the quality of life improvements from DE:MD are sorely missed but it’s amazing how well this has aged. Plus my PS3 has been relegated to serving as a media player for the last 4 years, and I can’t think of a better game to bring it back out of retirement.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished my replay of DE:HR - still absolutely brilliant and holds up really really well. I’m convinced this will be talked about and still played in another 10 years much like the original.

Boss fights aren’t great without the Directors Cut content but easily solvable by spamming the Typhoon.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lork posted:

-In Shifter, cigarette smoke is derived from toxic gas clouds, and NPCs will respond to it as if you just fired a gun at them. Biomod tones this down to just making them cough

Took me by surprise a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaeUnFCSeQk

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m still not in a position to play games with a KB/M on my PC (no desk anymore), but luckily my local CEX solved that problem for a mere £1.

So that’s two 20th anniversaries come to think of it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ll do an effort post about my experience with the port so far a bit later, but this guy made an extensive comparison between the two versions. It’s not as cut and dry as the PC maps being chopped into smaller bits.

Ignoring resolution, it effectively boils down to the PC version having better lighting and more open areas, whereas the PS2 version is moving a lot more polygons around. I think it’s one of those “eye of the beholder” situations, as to which you prefer.

If anyone in here has played both the PC and PS1 versions of Quake 2 they probably understand what I mean. Even though on a technical level the PC version absolutely crushes the PS1 version, the latter is my preference visually because they added so much colour to the game it’s much more interesting to look at as opposed to endless brown and orange.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Had some more time to play Deus Ex PS2 (it doesn’t have The Conspiracy subtitle in Europe for some reason), and I’ve completed the training mission and have entered UNATCO HQ after completing the first mission on Liberty Island.

Graphically it looks as good as you expect an early PS2 era PC port to look on a modern HDTV, and that link from earlier goes into plenty of detail of the visual differences between the two. What isn’t readily apparent in the steam guide is while textures are worse than PC, the models have been upgraded (characters actually have modelled eyes now). Animations have also been improved – instead of bodies falling completely flat parallel to the ground, they now collapse relatively realistically. It’s a neat enhancement.

Performance isn’t great. It keeps at a steady 30fps in smaller areas but chugs a bit in larger areas or when there is a great deal going on screen. The controls are intuitive and work very well. A neat addition is a Goldeneye/Timesplitters-esque free aiming mode where you hold L2 to move the crosshair around the screen using the right stick while the camera remains still. Aiming this way means you don’t have to wait for the crosshair to shrink to have a hope of hitting your target, and you can lean around corners at the same time while using the left stick. It basically means you can lean around corners and squeeze off quick headshots before anyone realises you’re there and I absolutely love it.

The inventory system has been replaced by a basic slot system rather than the grid the PC version uses, which is a bit odd because a couple of years down the line Resident Evil 4 used the same system and that was a console title as well. Its not all bad though, it means that a GEP Gun takes up as much room as a can of fizzy drink, providing many opportunities to execute the most silent of takedowns.

The only thing that is a bit of a bugger is that theres no way to freely enter passwords or keycodes. In order to use a password/keycode, you have to find the item that contains that code, or be told it by a character. So even if you’ve played the game a million times and know drat well the code to the shed is 0451, you still have to find the datapad that tells you this before you can use it.

So far though, it’s a really good port. If you have a PS2 knocking around and can find a cheap copy its probably worth giving it a go just to see this slightly unique take on the first game.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Still playing through the PS2 port and it makes for quite a different experience. Unfortunately the frame rate tanks with even mild action going on, but the game has a very generous aim assist system.

So it’s much easier to simply charge up to enemies and shoot them in the face with an assault shotgun at zero range. The simplified inventory makes it much easier to choose the GEP gun at the start and lug it around the entire game for when you need a quick and silent takedown.

Broke out of the MJ12 facility last night guns blazing, it was fun. :)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I still remember my jaw dropping on my first play through when I killed agent Navarre on the plane. First she killed Lebedev so I reloaded the game and tried to stop her and she promptly killed me. I assumed the game was meant to continue with Navarre killing Lebedev as part of the plot.

So for shits and giggles I reloaded again and left a couple of LAMs in the aircraft corridor.

Goddamn it was good.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Made it to Vandenberg Airforce Base on the PS2. Was honestly surprised that Morgan Everett’s home was one single area on this version.

What’s the state of PS2 emulation these days? I’d be interested to see how this compares if upscaled to 1080p+ @ 60fps.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JustJeff88 posted:

There's one feature Shifter has that I like but Biomod leaves out, but I can't remember what it is.

I need to play the PS2 version of this game. I hunted it down specifically and I even bought the official strategy guide because I stumbled on it for $5 at a FLGS, but it's going to be tough playing with no mouse for aiming and a controller on a game clearly designed for a keyboard. I think Easy difficulty for my first run.

The PS2 version is actually a very good port by the standards of the time and worth a go by any Deus Ex fan. I’m pleased to say it controls very well and has a generous auto aim system so you won’t struggle in combat. You will struggle a lot more trying to pick gas mines off the walls before they explode.

Performance is a mixed bag - most areas keep to around 30fps but in the larger open areas and where there are a lot of NPCS the frame rate gets very choppy. Predictably levels have been cut into smaller segments, some rearranged (Liberty Island exterior is very different), and the audio is of noticeably inferior quality. Textures aren’t very good but models and animations have been substantially improved. Characters all have modelled eyes, and NPCs collapse in a realistic fashion.

They’ve also changed the inventory. Instead of the grid system that RE4 would popularise, it’s just a series of slots with maximum capacities for each item.

Which means it is strongly recommended you pick the GEP Gun right at the start and keep it for the entire game.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Apparently the PS2 version of Deus Ex "fixed" the eyes?

The theory is that the original (PC) black eyes were a mistake or graphical error. Quite iconic nowadays though.

The PS2 version eyes are actually 3D polygons rather than just an animated texture. While the textures are predictably much worse than the PC version, the models and animations in the PS2 version are a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The PS2 version of Deus Ex rules. Yes the textures are worse, the framerate does dip at times and the areas are split into smaller maps due to memory constraints. However, the controls are great, it has better models and animations and has neat prerendered cutscenes. Its a more streamlined experience than the PC version to be sure, but it retains what made Deus Ex such a good game and its honestly one of the best PC ports of the era.

In some ways it is a shame they ditched the grid inventory as RE4 showed a few years later that such a system works just fine on a console. The PS2 version just had basic inventory slots, and every item in the game takes up a single slot with stacking - the downside of this is that a GEP gun takes up the same amount of space as an energy bar.

However, the upside is that a GEP gun takes up the same amount of space as an energy bar, meaning there is no reason not to take the GEP gun right at the start of the game. In fact, you should take as many heavy weapons as is possible.