Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Late to music chat but it took me listening to the soundtrack outside of a playthrough to realize this track is actually longer than the time it takes for a finger to go to the quickload hotkey, and I had been missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qDgZtiPHNA

e: Does this game still run fine on Windows 11 with just the basic widescreen etc mods? I like to play as vanilla as possible. Realizing I haven't played through since 2016 and suddenly getting the urge again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

aniviron posted:

I always stood up for it! I'm one of those freaks who doesn't mind heavy colour grading.

Same.

Also bloom and motion blur :getin:

I mean yeah when I'm playing a competitive shooter where I wanna see what's going on I'm not above plunging the graphics settings to the point of ridiculousness, but in a normal game I'm taking slow, especially if the art director designed it with that in mind, I truly don't understand why people dislike these kinds of stylization.

But then I have strong opinions about game art purity in general. I have yet to see a graphics mod for Deus Ex, or like, any retro game, that I actually think makes it look better rather than just weird x256 Minecraft Texture Syndrome where you have a ridiculous mismatch of texture and model quality. Maybe this is a sketchier argument for a Deus Ex 1 remaster than like, the Halo one, since we were never dealing with an aesthetic design that blew anyone's socks off to begin with, but I think pretty universally the people concepting out and designing their game during its initial creation have better visions (and often talent) than people coming in and rehashing it years later.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: Prey and cyberpunk for my money are the two games with the most fully realized, immersive, and evocative settings (with the Metro games as an honorable mention). Which is ironic i guess given the vast differences in scope between Night City and Talos One.

Honestly one of the biggest criticisms I had of Cyberpunk was the feeling that the scope of its city didn't actually add much and that I'd have much preferred it was a smaller but denser chunk of a city like Hengsha in HR. Recreating an entire city just makes the city feel small while still being too big to effectively fill out, so you end up with huge stretches of not much of anything. Talos One otoh felt extremely coherent.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
For real, a lot of sci fi aesthetics don't feel that sci fi anymore. Short of a city up in the sky like Hengsha or something like a weird impractical pyramid like Bladerunner's LA, cyberpunk architecture is just... architecture now. I was actually pretty disappointed with Cyberpunk's Night City. There's more coherence to parts of it I guess -- the buildings go together -- but arcologies aside pluck any building out of that game and I wouldn't bat an eye if I saw it in Seoul. In fact, even some of the arcologies lol.