Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I brought Human Revolution for super cheap on the last Steam sale, and reading through this whole thread made me want to go on a real Deus Ex kick and replay the original, modded. So far I'm leading towards GMDX to make things spicier.

HR's still drat solid; I haven't played it in a long time, so I've forgotten a lot, but the level design really skews toward stealth and alternate routes with plenty of cover for Adam to SWAT his way around. Moreso than DX the original. I'm going stealthy and nonlethal as much as possible but if I'm spotted then lethal force is authorized - not that I haven't been getting into gunfights that I can survive for long in. You're pretty much tissue paper until you get dermal armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I still love how the simple, kitted-out 10mm pistol is still the Secret Best Weapon in Human Revolution. The only reason I wasn't able to chain headshot a bunch of oblivious guys during the escape from TYM is because one managed to see me in the vent. Still have a tricked-out Combat Rifle for backup against multiple enemies. If there's one thing I remember about this game it's trying to defend Malak while the chopper's crashed, so I'm trying to save as much ammo for the rifle as I can.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm up to what I can only assume is the Missing Link part of Human Revolution, and it's been pretty bad so far. Please tell me I'll get back all my inventory and upgrades when it's all done.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Missing Link was some of the longest, most egregious padding I've every seen. On the plus side, the combined ammo and supplies I have now can let me take on a small army. I don't think I've ever been more happy to be done with something in quite a while.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Human Revolution didn't hit the philosophical or intellectual highs that the original did, but as an "origin story" it was still really fun. I'm interested to see how they reconcile all the possible endings (short of Adam exploding everyone) in Mankind Divided, but that's a long way away. Before that I want to do a run of the original with GMDX, after a lengthy break.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Pooperscooper posted:

I haven't played Deus Ex 1 since like 2007 and kind of want to play it now. I've heard a lot of GMDX but I don't know if it's too much changing or what. Does GMDX keep the authentic experience? Or is the original with some new render the way to go?

GMDX is supposed to overhaul a lot of mechanical stuff. If you're looking for rather minimal changes/quality of life updates, I think Biomod's the way to go if you want to mod it. There should be some info about getting better rendering in the OP.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm trying to run Deus Ex GOTY but it always crashes when I finish the setup. I'm trying the fixes from the first page of the thread, but nothing seems to be working. Specifically the "Deus EXE" launcher.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is that Kentie's launcher? I don't think you can launch from installation, you have to run the exe after installation completes.

Yeah, I can't even start the game properly from the initial setup post installation; it just crashes right after launch. I honestly have no idea what's wrong.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I got everything working, I just have poor reading comprehension.

I've only finished Liberty Island so I can't say how much more GMDX adds to things but I appreciate the quality of life upgrades. I also spent more time around the Statue's perimeter and I found a small area I didn't know about with a clip and laser sight upgrade, perfect for the 10 mil; it certainly came in handy when I triggered a bunch of guards in the Statue's roof area. I don't like how you have to toggle the sight on again every time you reequip the weapon.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm at the Brooklyn Bridge station and I haven't seen a single augmentation canister since the Statue. And I've been very thorough in poking around everywhere. I could've sworn you'd be able to find at least one more aug by this point.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Crap, seriously? Guess I wasn't as thorough as I thought.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I don't know if this is GMDX being screwy or if DX's gunplay is a lot worse than I remembered: There's been very frequent instances where I try to score a headshot with either the Stealth Pistol or Crossbow, with Advanced skill, on regular troops and it doesn't result in an instant kill/KO. Like, square in the face or in the brainpan. Or instances where I tried to gun down greasels with either the regular 10 mm, with a laser sight, or the Assault Rifle, also with Advanced skill, and they just won't die. I don't remember them being so hardy. I'm in Hong Kong, so from this point on I'm going weapons-free more often, and I'd like to avoid more incidents like those.

Also, I don't remember the scope sway being so awful. I thought increasing your weapon proficiency keeps that from happening.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 30, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Butterwagon posted:

I don't know if GMDX changes it but adding a scope mod to your pistol adds a fixed penalty to your un-scoped accuracy, negating the laser sight and (iirc) skill benefit.

GMDX decidedly does not fix that. It seems somewhat counterintuitive to attach a weapon mod that acts as an active detriment to your gun.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I didn't remember the security at Maggie Chow's secret lair being so. . . heavily armed. Took almost all my medkits to heal all my limbs. Good thing I have regen. Now the big decision is whether to max out Pistols to get rid of that annoying scope sway or upgrade Medicine to improve my medkits/biocells. Also I don't remember the Dragon's Tooth being so darn big.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I took the rooftop, but wound up alerting one of the guards below me. I didn't see any way from the outside. Something to remember for next time.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I started Mankind Divided and crashed twice so far, one when loading an autosave in the Dubai mission and the other during the cutscene after getting off the train. On Steam. Was this prone to crashing like that?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just can't go back to the original's terrible gunplay, and I recently tried with Biomod. GMDX was all right in that regard but it amped up the challenge to the point where I basically got softlocked getting toward the tail end. The Jensen games do shooting so well.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Serephina posted:

God, I'd blotted out how HR was just a long series of punching people. What a way to ruin all the other effort that went into making it.

Punch Punch Revolution!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Thanks for completely forgetting about the upgraded 10mm. poo poo carved up to and until Picus where you could still 1 head shot big augs.

The fully upgraded 10 mil with all attachments was godly. One of the few shooters I've played where the pistol remains a viable, even desirable option throughout.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 29, 2024

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Missing Link was one of the most pointless, filler wastes of time I've seen in DLC and I didn't like how it was shoehorned into the main story. Annoying as hell too since you lose all your augments. If there was an option to skip, that would've been nice.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Does Mankind Divided give you the warning that you can't go back to an area when you're entering a new one? And that all side missions will be cancelled? I just got done with the first visit to TF29.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I appreciate someone in Mankind Divided using the word "Jensen" as a noun. I do that a lot, actually.

What I don't appreciate is people hounding me to do main objective stuff through Infolink. I don't want to rush, I want to take my time and explore!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

brap posted:

Did you mean verb?

Goddammit, I'm not thinking correctly.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Even after all these years I still can't get over how fundamentally dumb Invisible War's "universal ammo" system was, and how much it actively discouraged you from using a lot of the weapons in the game. If you're using a shotgun, sniper or heavy weapon with any frequency, hope you have a melee weapon on hand! Of course IW's firearms weren't that great to begin with.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm still confused about how in GMDX I couldn't kill a single greasel by doming it continuously with a souped-up, laser-sighted pistol at Advanced training. Or hitting an NSF trooper right in the brainpan at short range with the pistol only for him to turn around and one shot me with pocket plasma in Biomod. Deus Ex weapons are all over the drat place.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm surprised about how Adam's still tissue paper in MD, even with level 2 armor. I get dropped surprisingly quickly if there's more than one enemy around in a straight firefight, even when I'm trying to use cover.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The bank job in the Samizdat mission was peak Deus Ex. So many ways to go about handling it. I enjoyed every minute of analyzing and planning my operation. Poor bastards need to learn a simple lesson of the world: If there's a ventilation system, Adam Jensen WILL climb through it. My favorite move was going through the security chief's office by cloaking to activate the window tinting, then heading back through the vent and tossing a gas grenade to incapacitate the two people inside (those things have a huge radius!) Sometimes even the dumbest ideas work!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I have like a gajillion Hypostims and Painkillers so there's no excuse for me to die in a firefight now. I just hit Prague under martial law, and while stealth has served me well so far I'm just looking for excuse to cut loose. Maybe during whatever grand finale there is I'll go completely weapons free.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I think the only enemies I've actually killed are Dvali, the guys in Dubai when I got made, some ARC (also when I got made), and some of the Aug Church members (also also when I got made). I got through GARM cleanly in stealth, loading a save only once when I tried to shoot one of the gold masks with my silenced pistol in the head and learning it was armored. Before he hit the super armor.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Welp, I found my reason to go all out with the infiltration of Dvali territory. I just decided to go all weapons free and Jensen'd all over them. Shooting in MD feels really good and I might do that more often.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I appreciate that MD gives you more opportunities to do the double takedown. It's so satisfying.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Mankind Divided beaten, best ending.

Crafty Eidos people, making me think there was a binary choice. I went straight for Marchenko first, and after banging my head against that fight a few times (more on that in a sec) I reloaded to save the VIPs - it took most of my AP ammo, but imagine my surprise when the Marchenko fight intro after that was the exact same. Jammer used, GG no re.

The Marchenko fight was grade A bullcrap. Let's have a guy with a laser cannon and super armor and make the arena filled with booby traps, turrets AND flying drones that you can't take down easily without AP ammo! I'm glad I stockpiled all that ammo because I blew through the majority of it by the end. I also was able to grab the Titan aug beforehand, so that helped considerably. Did they learn nothing from how the boss fights in Human Revolution were done and received before the Director's Cut? Because I think that was an artificial difficulty spike.

The Jensen Stories are just little self-contained scenarios, right? It'll be a while before I get back to this game.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

By popular demand posted:

The Outer Worlds recently went for three types of universal ammo and while it didn't feel as rear end backwards as DX2's system it was also boring and meaningless.

Either go for unlimited ammo for all or many types of limited ammo, nothing in between these two extremes feels right.

Destiny 2 switched from having Primary ammo (used for most of your small arms and rifles) being pickup-based to just plain unlimited, while still having Special ammo (used mainly for shotguns, snipers and Fusion Rifles) and Power ammo (heavy weapons like MGs, heavy grenade launchers and rocket launchers) that you need to pick up. It works really well, and I'd like to see more FPSes do something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Good to know! I watched the LP by Bobbin Threadbare and marveled at how Michael Thornton can be both the most immaculate secret agent and the most insane lunatic.