Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not quite as good as gumball dad killing the anime guy, but I'm proud of finding this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQvtdw6g4BQ

I should really reinstall the game and FRAPS so I can re-shoot this in 720p.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Samopsa posted:

So don't kill or stun them, if you sneak close by and don't take them down, you'll get massive bonuspoints at the end of the map :)
I forgot about Shifter's awesome stealth bonus. Can you still get it if you rescue Gunther and he runs out shooting?

Speaking of which, I hate how in the two points in the game where you can give people weapons it defaults to your invariably tricked-out pistol. Before Gunther and Gilbert I have to drop my pistol somewhere out of the way and find another weapon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Male Man posted:

Shifter fixes this too!

In Shifter you can use the "Drop" key to hand your equipped weapon to NPCs, and the author has altered the scripts so that it works properly in the two instances you're referring to. That means that you can toss Mr. Renton whatever pistol you found on the side of the street instead of the miniature sniper rifle you've been building.

Basically, Shifter is awesome about everything forever.
So during those scripts I hand over my equipped weapon instead of the first 10mm pistol it finds? That's cool; I always had a spare sawed-off shotgun for Gilbert anyway.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

The part of my post that you didn't quote said "I played both Fallout and Deus Ex for the first time in 2007, and they were amazing," which was a response to your contention that people who love these games have minds "completely clouded by nostalgia." Someone used to newer games can still enjoy old ones.
I would definitely still love DX if I played it for the first time recently, but Fallout 2 was a little much. Maybe I'll try it again sometime as trying to take on the Rat King right away might have been that game's Liberty Island.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Another thing to note is that if you take an unmodded weapon from that particular level and then pick up your modded one you will just get ammo for the unmodded weapon. Make sure you drop everything upon entering the armoury.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

I always loved setting a LAM on the plane so what's her face gets blown up and Lebedev actually escapes... as I recall he shows up again later in the game to help out in some way.
I'm pretty sure you need to at least tranq him to trigger Gunther's arrival.

As for the other part... yeah, I figured going out the window was just the best way to get a clear shot at the soldiers on the street :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Haha, yes, I noticed that too. The sheer confusion and disgust in his voice are so great. He also has a third transmission if you end up killing both of them.
Is it as good as killing the NSF leader or the subway hostages?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:pcgaming:
I could hate the whole game for the fact it gives you the Dragon's Tooth and immediately afterward makes half the enemies explode or fountain poison gas as soon as they enter ragdoll mode (including non-lethal takedowns). The villains are also completely unconvincing (since when do Templars care about genetic purity and humanity instead of killing brown people?). Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing. They just took the endings from the first game and cranked them up until they were almost nonsensical.

On a modern rig with the HD texture pack I can force myself to like it because it's Deus Ex, but that's about it.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 14, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the weak dragons tooth sword in IW is non-canon, much like the super-wimpy laser rapier in system shock 2
The one you find in JC's brain was a one-hit kill on anything with the proper augs (I think), but using it on armoured templars or illuminati commandos was tantamount to suicide. Only when you return to Cairo do you get to jump across a wide open space and plunge it into a squishy enemy. The only thing that makes up for the inefficacy of melee combat was the Hellfire crossbow.

Speaking of the commandos, one of the few very cool moments in IW was when you got to meet your first one. Sure, everyone saw the reveal coming a mile away, but they almost made up for it. "Wait, Her Holiness is who and that guy... what the gently caress is he?"

Carbohydrates posted:

You kind of needed a sword, though, because every loving fight drained your ammo to nothing by the end of that game.
You could adjust the damage, ammo pickup/drain and other essential parameters in a text file. It made firefights tolerable near the endgame when before you either used the Magrail or just gave up on killing things altogether.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 14, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thinking back to Cairo, I have to wonder what was wrong with Clara when you had to rescue her from Dumier's goons. Every time I would just flashbang the place (or not) and drop everyone with the baton before they could fire a shot. She should have been able to do that herself unless she chose nothing but those god-awful drone augs.

The aug slots made no sense at all. Regeneration went in the eyes, and I never once chose it over Superman Vision due to the glut of medkits everywhere. Compare this to DX1 where I would still put points in medicine because it was fun.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The French Army! posted:

So when you guys break out of the jail in UNATCO do you kill Manderly's secretary? I always shoot her in the face.
Stun prod on my way into the office. "Manderley, it's J-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jetsetlemming posted:

The Omar you mean? The Omar make up for a lot of IW's failings in my eyes.
The JC ending. That was also the only really good ending in DX1 too, unless you really liked Escape from L.A. (and I admit to naming at least one of my JCs Snake Plissken).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Somewhere a bunch of dead cryptanalysts just hit 4000 rpm.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone know if the sound engine in DX plays nice with the Asus Xonar's EAX emulation?

Speaking of which, that SoundBlaster Live! had the best software package in history. It's just too bad Aureal was dead by then :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I decided this interrogation needed a flag:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I want to use my G15's G keys for augs but sadly I don't think I have enough for them all with only one row. Shifter at least does some interesting things like calculating your overhead vs. savings when running Power Recirculator then activating it accordingly. I forget if it turns on Aqualung when you hit the water but if there's one thing I hope DX3 does it's use smart aug automation or at least emulate Crysis 1's style of double-tap activations.

Did Shifter change Synthetic Heart to offset the increased number of aug upgrades available through install canisters? Did it let you push augs to level 4? I think I might have cheat-installed it along with Power Recirculator and been a demigod.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 18, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bartkusa posted:

What happens if you upload the Gray Death schematics to Tracer Tong, but escape VersaLife without destroying the UC?
I don't think the escape hatch opens until the UC blows up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bartkusa posted:

Can't you go out the front door?

I've never taken the elevator and always opted to use the sewer entrance. Call me crazy but I've never wanted to charge through a horde of spider bots, or even the reception area given that my exit is usually:

1. Drop gas grenade from four floors up.
2. Jump down with the Leg aug.
3. Flip the bird as the elevator closes.

Deus Ex is one of the few games where I've really enjoyed causing a huge commotion, dodging ten hapless guards and escaping without firing a shot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Riven posted:

silent feet
This was completely redundant since you could use the other running aug and just crouch for complete silence. Shifter at least made the silence aug passive and IW even added noise to crouch-running.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Once I realized how deep the conspiracy went I had a problem killing anyone who didn't directly and knowingly work for MJ-12.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 19, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All this talk of Versa-Life reminds me: The second time you go there, if you ignore what the game says and go through the front door instead of taking the secret entrance there's a giant version of those little spider bots guarding the entrance. To the best of my knowledge that's the only time you encounter one in the game.
Aren't there a couple in the Ocean Lab? Those things take a full stack of EMPs before going down.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If only the game was built on the GHOUL engine instead of Unreal.
I have wished for this many a time. Hopefully DX3 does stuff like stealth kills and corner kills, or even better non-lethal takedowns.

Le Sean posted:

Shifter mod seems to add in a few prototypes to the dragon's tooth, one of which appears to be significantly better (and it flashes red every so often, which is great when you run out of power and need a light).
I think that one has random damage. One moment it's the same as the pre-patch 125dmg behemoth Dragon's Tooth, and the next it will do 5dmg.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 19, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
IW had a really stupid bug relating to that too. If you cut the power at Mako, which was about a thousand times easier if Sid flew you there instead of Ava, the Magrail scientist would disappear so in order to continue you were stuck working for the WTO... not that it mattered the second you set foot in Cairo.

Speaking of Mako, who routes the entire primary power supply to their top-secret research facility through an un-guarded power box on the roof?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tecman posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/296/

Get it while it's hot, boys. You have ABSOLUTELY NO excuse now. :3: Each game for 2.50, or both for 5 bucks.
Haha god drat the banner is ugly.

Be warned that Shifter will not work on the Steam version... or perhaps I'm mis-informed. I read that to make the EXE tie into Steam it has to have some extra code that Shifter doesn't understand.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sweet. I bought the collection again just in case I lose my discs and all the backups with the ISO and mod folders on them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Fry's Electronics sold me half the game for $15,
Oh man, was this the game where stores were selling the "Limited Edition"?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

The flamethrower is the best. I just wish I had saved every range mod so far just for it to really be able to reach out and touch someone with flame.
IW at least did the flamethrower right. Templars really wished they had exploding power armour when I whipped out the Hellfire crossbow. The regular FT (especially the napalm ball secondary fire) used way too much ammo to be viable.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Narxysus posted:

Gerald(?) Ford
It's Ford Schick and you are terribly dull.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Carbohydrates posted:

I like that song that plays in the nightclub that has the Greasel fights.
Most of that is by Kidney Thieves from the Trickster Reprocessed album. It's not that great but I guess the licensing was cheap. They used one of the album's harder songs in a trailer for IW that was nothing but Alex charging obviously dumb enemies with a shotgun and that's right around when people started to get worried.

If that's not what you're thinking about I think the IW instrumental music was released for free awhile back.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Where can I get that mod? Recirculator sounds overpowered vs. Shifter's version but Regeneration is at least tempered to the point where you can't just flick it on every time you get lit on fire.

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. Wonder what that means.
Random outbursts of "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHH".

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 22, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

etalian posted:

What a lovely horrible ending level for a really bad game.

Amazing how they went from the complex levels of the first one to simple corridor design the sequel.
Rendering engine, XBox memory space, blah blah blah

Also the vendor in the lobby was terribly out of place given that the ruin was crawling with templars. I can't even remember him selling anything worthwhile.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 22, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
edit: whoops wrong vid

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

Well there's a datacube somewhere in the game that tells you that. For some reason I am remembering the tutorial level having datacubes with the profiles of a number of UNATCO characters including Anna's.
I think there might be a secret room you can find via a switch along the wall in the room with all the holograms.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

So is there a mod that makes Invisible War not suck yet?
I would be happy with anything that stopped armoured Templars from exploding when they ragdoll. Well, maybe that and replacing the drone augs with something useful and taking regeneration out of the eye slot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I also really like the music. I like that late 90s techno blend crap. How do I turn the UMX files into something I can throw on my music player of choice? I haven't done much Unreal engine stuff lately.
The soundtrack came with the GotY edition Steam is licensed for, right? You might be within your rights to just download a rip.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Akumos posted:

Borderlands is decent
Maybe if you enjoy lightly banging your head against big iron things.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The only way to kill Strong Howard is to turn on your legs aug and goomba-stomp him from as high as possible.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tadashi posted:

I almost poo poo my pants the first time I played the scene where JC wakes up in the cell in UNATCO HQ. I was like "What do you mean I have none of my precious weapons and tools I spent 20 hours collecting?". That part of the game is awesome, though. Who would have known?
When you-know-who chimes in on your infolink it was like a minor version of System Shock 2's big reveal (minus about 140bpm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Male Man posted:

4) The mini-crossbow doesn't fire directly on target. When shooting with the scope and 100% accuracy, the dart begins its flight down and to the left of the crosshairs.
The dart travels less distance than a bullet and is a projectile, while the crosshair might be zeroed for hitscan.