Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

aniviron posted:

Worked great for a lot of project of the era, and I clocked probably 10000 hours in Unrealed 2, which is why it's so baffling to me that DXIW makes such a mess of it.

Invisible War & Deadly Shadows were developed for Xbox as well, so memory constraints were also a factor in its very cramped levels. According to a developer on Thief Deadly Shadows, the guy who was supposed to add dynamic lighting to the engine & nothing else, added in a custom per-pixel lighting renderer but also a ton of wonky stuff with performance issues that no-one really noticed until he was fired. By then it was too late to alter the renderer again to fix this. Ion Storm were able to make some slight optimisations for Thief, which was released a bit later.

Real time lighting doesn't work great for big outdoor areas in general, so you'd expect some cutbacks. However, Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, which came out at the same time, had somewhat large areas with a very similar lighting method to IW/DS on Xbox & PC though, so it is do-able on low amounts of memory. A better optimised engine like the one in Riddick probably would have allowed larger areas with a more Deus Ex/Thief exploration type experience, instead of seeing long loading screens every 20 seconds. Or just sticking with the default UE2 system for development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Cheston posted:

I'm very impressed that there's dialogue for if you read Maggie Chow's file in the police station armory in Hong Kong before going to the Luminous Path. You can only do that by looking up the code (or breaking into a random apartment two maps away?).

**but sequence breaking does mean Maggie's run away even if it's the first time you've been to her apartment.

You can also get Anna Navarre to open the UNATCO door without killing her if you go through some hoops: it doesn't break the game, it just continues as normal. From memory when I last did it, Gunther's "I cannot forgive Agent Navarre's death" message when you leave UNATCO for the last time, doesn't actually play, since she's still alive. I think there's other triggers depending on your choices earlier, so this may not actually have anything to do with her survival, but JC did the "I know you hate being used as a tool as just much as me, why not a gentleman's agreement and work together?" dialogue in the church, with Gunther' giving the "Sorry, I get the latest upgrades if I beat you" response when I kept her alive.

You can technically knock Gunther out in the church, in base game: you have to reduce his health to a certain point, where he starts running away or cloaks from memory, then use a fair few tranquiliser darts on him, he'll fall unconscious without exploding.