Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why haven't I posted in this thread yet?

Anyway, I've been working on a hi-resolution UI mod. At the moment when running at 1280x960 or higher it doubles the the size of all of the UI elements. You can patch the exe to not scale it, but then you have to deal with tiny buttons and text which can be a strain to read.

Using the DirectX 10 renderer you can replace artwork on the fly with Hi-Res alternatives and I decided to use that approach. I'm not just lazily scaling up the existing artwork and adding some crappy filter or filling in pixels, I'm essentially recreating the original artwork in vector using Inkscape and exporting it as bitmaps with alpha channels.

It's nowhere near complete, but I have a screenshot of the latest font and some updated UI elements running at 1080p:

Obviously you'll have to maximise that. You'll notice it doesn't look radically different, which is kind of the point. Instead it looks cleaner and less jagged.

So far I've done 2 fonts, some UI backgrounds like the news terminal and email, the cursors and the augmentation, notes and mission HUD backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It should work with anything, though if the mod modifies the art files the hi-res ones take priority so it might look a bit messed up. If the changes aren't that extensive it would be as easy as deleting whatever hi-res artwork that is incompatible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No release yet, just a status update and more screenshots.

I'm making a high resolution UI replacement for Deus Ex. My mod is a straight texture replacement and as such it only requires a renderer that supports replacement textures. I use the DirectX 10 renderer from this guy. I actually had to get him to release a new patched version (26) to support the replacement textures since there was a bug that prevented me from forcing an alpha channel upon UI elements.

Most of the fonts are complete and I've been messing with recreating the UI windows as well, though it's pretty far from done. I aim to be as close as possible to the original artwork so everything, including the fonts, is actually made from scratch in inkscape and not sourced from an existing font set.

I'll probably be releasing an early version that just contains the high-resolution fonts once I've finished them. I might as well throw in high-res cursors too why not?

Compatibility with existing mods?
Unless the mod overwrites existing artwork in DeusExUI.u there should be no conflict, it's simply drop in and run. I've tested it with vanilla Deus Ex, Shifter and Biomod.

Isn't there some other project doing the same thing?
I didn't like the look of it. The fonts looked wonky and I didn't like its implementation.

Will it fix UI bugs?
No, it's simply a package of textures and there is no coding going on at all. I don't have the first idea how to do anything like that, though if there is an issue that you think you can fix I'd be happy to include it in a later release.

Oh my god JC a bomb!
A bomb!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Only if you're a retard and take the front entrance.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are the textures normal mapped? The DX10 renderer supports normal mapped textures.

Also does it replace fonts and UI elements because if it does I'm going to shoot myself in the head.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Reive posted:

Believe it or not I actually prefer artifacting of low-bit modes to the blurred filtering of high-bit modes, if I could run this in software rendering I would.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm on the Battery Park mission. I've destroyed the warehouse's generator and I can't seem to find my way back to town with the clinic and the park and the hotel. There doesn't seem to be a way to get off the loving rooftops. Can anyone tell me the right way to go?

Can't just mod my way out of it or whatever, playing on the PS2. Amazing how this game holds up even on an outdated console. Why they haven't updated this game with current-gen graphics and a rerelease, I'll never know.

Why are you playing it on the PS2 :psyduck:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The PS2 version is pretty crippled. The levels are chopped up and as such many gameplay options are missing. You could play it just fine on your Macbook using Bootcamp or using Wine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Get both.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Try this instead: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/dxd3d9r13.zip

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I loved the Sub Base and Vandenberg. Vandenberg in particular was pretty cool in that the building and surrounding areas were almost completely explorable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Biomod

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It isn't a bug. It's a design choice made in order to make the UI readable on higher resolutions.

I'm still working on a UI hi-res pack, I have most of the fonts done now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Temascos posted:

Finally decided to get back to playing this, and have installed the "Fixer" download, only problem is my game won't freaking start!

"The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer." The frick? I didn't even delete anything!

I'm sure I'll sort it quickly, because I'm ready to try some of these mods after all these years.

Grab the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package, latest Direct X libs etc

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I kind of miss the dumb skill point bonuses from shifter, like the ones you get from flushing dirty toilets.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lork posted:

Hi there, I'm the guy who made Biomod!

-Shifter makes some changes to the augs that are overriden by Biomod's versions of them
-In Shifter, cigarette smoke is derived from toxic gas clouds, and NPCs will respond to it as if you just fired a gun at them. Biomod tones this down to just making them cough

That's all I can think of offhand. Also, the removal of the XP bonuses is optional as of the latest version, and can be toggled back on using a console command.

I've been playing DX with Biomod for a very long time, your balance changes make Deus Ex the best 0451 game, as opposed to one of the best. Good work!

e: I do miss the exploding seagulls from Shifter though

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why the gently caress isn't everyone just using biomod so that skill is actually useful and fun

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thief-style mantling too. If there was ever to be a remake of Deus Ex the creators should really take influence from Biomod/Shifter, they're great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skills and progression is mostly what Biomod and Shifter (which Biomod is based on) reworks. That said it's pretty typical for immersive sims to give more than one solution to a problem. The redundancies between skills and items in the original game aren't an accident, they're by design, though they could be better balanced.

eg: In the case of health regen, Biomod actually nerfs it by adding a delay and greatly reducing it's effectiveness. It's still useful, but only in a longer term tactical sense, medkits are more useful during active combat.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 23, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Two Owls posted:

Shifter had a problem where unless you put at least one point in athletics it was possible to get stuck. I think that was fixed at some point though.

That's one of the things Biomod fixed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

I honestly couldn't be hosed with the DX mods when I hear poo poo like that. So there's one really huge mod that changes everything, but it's bad. So there's another mod that builds on the first [?] that also changes everything. And there's a third mod that changes everything but it compatible with the first two I think? And I swear I must be dylexic cause I keep mixing up which is which; but as you can tell I no longer care about what some random nerd's interpretation of the "Intended Experience" from a professional studio is.

Stuff like that has made me wary of mods for a very long time, and only in the past year or so have I discovered the joy of tiny, modular, well-supported mods that do pleasant things like change a tiny UI element and nothing else.

Deus Ex's skill system was slapped together at the last second, I think a few iterations of improvement are welcome as long as they're in the spirit of the original game. It isn't that complicated anyway, Shifter made a bunch of really great changes but added skills for kills and some bugs. Biomod builds on many of Shifter's ideas and takes a few further, while removing skills for kills and fixing bugs. It's not really akin to something like Brutal Doom where it becomes a completely different game, it just adds more options, something fairly welcome in a game where giving you a whole lot of options is kind of the point.

I don't have much interest in anything that changes the level design, story or major graphical changes. I'd be cool with a remake, but I feel a remake of Deus Ex would have to be an entirely new game using the original only as a basic template.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

Which mod exactly added xp popup for shooting people in the face? I tried that one maybe 15 years ago and laughed. Well, I laughed after I rage-vented at my uni friend who also played DX. How badly does someone have to miss the point to look at DX and think "There should be explicit positive feedback rewards for murder, THIS is what the game is missing!" Someone really thought that the dev's intentionally leaving no commentary on player lethality was an explicit mistake, that needed to be remedied via mods. Was that Shifter? Looking at these recent replies (and the timeline of when I played it), it looks like it just might be. "Removing the suck from DX", indeed.

When I see such grievous errors of judgement, I have no respect for that creator's judgement and taste and couldn't be hosed seeing what else they put in. This lead to me having a decade-long opinion of "All mods are poo poo, there is a reason it takes paid professionals ages to make something good".

So maybe my phrasing was sloppy; I certainly don't think that random nerds know the true artistic intent of the creators better than the creators themselves (as what I typed & you quoted would imply), but rather; that any random nerd who sees a complete product and proudly proclaims "What would make this game *really* great is-- " and I just tune out, because they're invariably wrong and I don't want to see their horse vagina mod.

Shifter also had a bonus for flushing dirty toilets and explosive seagulls. It had some cool ideas but it was really more of a joke mod.

e: Honestly the premise of your entire argument is pretty dumb. Modders have influenced commercial games since they've existed, many changes that mods make often get rolled into updates of games if the developer deems it to be a good idea. Purity of the developer's original artistic vision is important and should be preserved but game design as it is today is massively influenced by modifications of existing games. Someone saw ARMA and proudly proclaimed they could make it better by adding zombies. Someone saw DayZ and proudly proclaimed they could make it better by adding a battle royale mode. Counter-Strike is a better multiplayer Half-Life. DOTA is directly derived from Warcraft 3. Virtually any Bethesda RPG is kind of poo poo without a mountain of mods. Ms Pac Man is a fan-made mod of Pac Man.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 26, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wonder what a Deus Ex that was made today would look like. Conspiracy theories just aren’t as fun anymore, I miss when it was all black helicopters and alien coverups by shadowy councils.

The newer Deus Ex games clumsily spun it into an augmented human discrimination narrative, so you kind of have your answer.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Same game but instead of Area 51 as the last level it's Page's underage sex island that gets nuked and invaded.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The gold was a bit much, the problem isn't that the DC toned it down but that it was ripped out and replaced with nothing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Lone Gunmen still takes home the award for most the most direct 9/11 prediction with it's pilot episode being about hijacking a commercial flight to crash into the WTC. 6 months before it actually happened.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Randomly came across a Deus Ex Revision longplay while browsing youtube
Decided to watch it as its been a decade since i played Deus Ex and about halfway through the longplay i decided to play the game myself instead.
I installed Deus Ex Revision as well.
After playing for a bit something feels "off". Not quite sure what, but the game seems more "fidgety" or "cumbersome" to play. Maybe its Revision or maybe i am just getting old.
There are some other things about Revision i don't like either, e.g. not getting skill points from kills/takedowns. Whats up with that? The longplay i watched definitely got skill points from kills. I have been through all the menus but can't figure out which option has disabled skill gains. I don't understand WHY either, its not like you had an abundance of them in the base game.

Is GMXD better? I'm primarily looking for an overhaul mod that fixes bugs, improves graphics, maybe patches up some dumb things like improving unused/garbage augments etc.
One of the most important parts of immersive sim design is the level layouts, change them and you're basically playing an entirely different game. I don't think Revision's changes are an improvement, they're a hassle to explore.

Vanilla Deus Ex never handed out skill points for kills, it's antithetical for a game that's about player choice as it punishes players for not murdering everything in sight. Shifter modded it in, that's probably what you saw being played.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think revision might have it as an option? It integrates biomod, which is derived from Shifter. I vaguely remember it having a tweaks menu for toggling that kind of stuff.

OG Deus Ex never did skills for kills, you're misremembering. Maybe your memory is contaminated by DX:HR?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nah, the bodies of water aren't connected.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DXIW's engine is so broken that the game isn't really fixable without moving it to an entirely new one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

43 new posts?? Surely there must be some news, and not just... rhetoric

And you believe it?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Deus Ex has native joystick input for player movement, something to keep in mind if you make a controller profile. It's analog directionally, though movement speed is still digital. Steam Input lets you bind a key to the outer rim of the stick to save mapping a button to run, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

There's one feature Shifter has that I like but Biomod leaves out, but I can't remember what it is.

Exploding seagulls.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wait you're complaining about it? That's probably the most "Deus Ex" thing in those later games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

But what of Deus Ex The Fall

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

One of my playthroughs of deus ex I enabled cheats and bound "tantalus" to z and "opensesame" to x, turning Denton into more of a mad god than jesus christ allegory.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

idk feels prescient with people embedding full linux VMs inside their VR Chat avatars

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's generally faithful, but they had to chop up the levels to save memory and considering how much level design is a part of an imsims identity, its a pretty big drawback (you can no longer jump to Jock's apartment from Maggie Chow's). Some nice little graphical upgrades here and there but even that they screwed up a little, NPC eyes look a bit odd. The gamepad controls suuuck, but I think it's one of the few PS2 games with KB/M support?

A mixed bag.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zap and whack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol, how many maps is Hong Kong?

It's split up enough that you can't get to Jock's apartment from Maggie's building.

I've never seen a thorough breakdown of the differences between the two versions, some youtuber with too much time on their hands needs to get to it.

e: There's this I suppose, but I want something 3 hours long, getting into the weeds by pulling map data out of the PS2 version and making more direct comparisons.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 13, 2023