Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

JC DENTON: And all we have to do is crack the code.

JC Denton is such an idiot.

Other evidence: "Excuse me, I'm looking for the underground terrorist organisation Silhouette, can anyone help me?", something he asks everyone in Paris when you already know you're going to the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Have any of you tried going through it using the complete opposite playing style to the one you prefer? I tried playing it as Quake guy once, but it just felt so wrong, so I just reloaded and went through as a stealth character again.

I played through on Unrealistic a few days ago, and now I'm going through using none of the weapons I had at the end of the game. So no autoshotgun, railgun, machine gun, pistol, stealth pistol or dragon's tooth.

And normally I play it stealth, but sometimes yeah I go completely buggo

Shumagorath posted:

Once I realized how deep the conspiracy went I had a problem killing anyone who didn't directly and knowingly work for MJ-12.

I've played it through killing only people who worked directly for MJ12 (troopers, commandos, MiBs, etc). Everyone else got stunned or ignored.

Le Sean posted:

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I almost feel like you have to go melee as one of your skills, since is never enough ammo if you want to stick to a certain branch

Disagree. Also you don't need to boost melee if you're using either the Dragon's Tooth or the Crowbar - in the former case because it minces everything already, and in the latter because if you hit them in the head they're stunned and you can take them down with a second blow easily.

uncleKitchener posted:

There's also a different pump-actions shotgun in Jock's apartment (in Hong Kong) called the "boom stick". It deals more damage and it has more recoil.

That's a Shifter thing. There's unique versions of all the weapons, including a Perfect Dark Farsight-style Railgun for the Plasma Gun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stump Truck posted:

My favorite gimmick on playthroughs is when you go to the NSF headquarters you riot prod every UNATCO trooper in the base without being seen before you even transmit the message. Then you send the message, Simmons tells you that the troops are ordered to kill you and you just run and fly off the roof completely scott-free.

If you take care of all of them, what he says changes. "You win this round"

Stump Truck posted:

For some reason, it seems like every other time I play I meet Smuggler at the right time to rescue his friend, other times I can't find the password until the next time I get to NYC. Even though I just beat this game and put 20 hours into it I'm going to download Shifter and play it as soon as my schedule frees up.

Kill/get rid of the guy harassing Sandra Renton in a back alley, talk to her and she tells you the password.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brannock posted:

Whenever I use the LAW I like to say "You fought the LAW... and the LAW won." :cool:

This is an important part of the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

By the way, I'm not sure anyone brought this up, but i loved the UNATCO HQ sections, I honestly can't think of a game that did something similar. Maybe Splinter Cell: Double Agent, but they did it badly.

Soldier of Fortune 2 had something similar. It was in fashion for a while, just like the non-combat cold opening was in fashion after Half Life.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Phatzilla posted:

the move on bit was in reference to the first one

Stop having fun :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

etalian posted:

WP Rocket= Greatest

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the best possible weapon to use in the raid on the Lucky Money

Deus Ex is one of the few games where the protagonist can go around committing War Crimes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr ShinyDistraction posted:

invisible war why are you closing and reopening yourself every time I leave an area
Invisible waaar

This caused a huge problem in Thief 3 back in the day, the difficulty would reset to normal every time you went through a level transition/loaded a save.

Chunderbucket posted:

Yeah I got a lot of use out of that, shame there isn't more ammo. I doubt I found more than 25 rounds over the course of the game.

There used to be a bug where if you picked up a gun it gave you the ammo you were using in that gun at the time.

This wasn't really that abusable for most things - SABOT and WP fire at similar sort of rates with similar utility to buckshot and rockets - but getting full clips of HEGs was glorious indeed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stump Truck posted:

I've always remembered the keycode to Tracer Tong's compound though.

That one's easy, it's the year that Hong Kong returned to Chinese control.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

UselessLurker posted:

The Shifter mod sometimes makes things unintentionally hilarious.

Want extra skill points every now and then? If you see a cat, walk over it then kill it. You provoked the cat without killing it so it went hostile, and because you killed a hostile you get ten skill points. DEATH TO CATS. :black101:

I ran around in Paris slaughtering cats, it was great

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lilac1 posted:

Recommended if you feel that conventional stealth/fps games have too few DoTs, I guess. Also, bonus for hilarious voice acting.

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rex Deckard posted:

Chuck her off the roof to the street. For some reason that drives the cops insane.

Stun her and do it and nobody gives a poo poo, I tend to do that then bring her to the Lucky Money

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

tadashi posted:

Who else likes to install the safe-fall leg upgrades so you can jump out the window after finishing the NSF HQ in New York and skip dealing with all of the guards? That is if you didn't knock them all out beforehand

It's better in Vandenberg - GEP the bots, jump off the roof with comedy legs. Job done, time taken: a few reloads of the GEP.

Weedle posted:

I always have the leg aug by the time I defect from UNATCO, but for some reason I missed it in my current playthrough. I have no idea how.

It's in Jaime's closet the second time you go back to UNATCO. Possibly the third.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

On that same note, is there any way to resolve the hostage situation in the Battery Park subway station without gas grenades?

Step one: snipe (with crossbow or some kind of actual gun) at least one of the guys guarding the stairs. The others will either run off or start shooting you. If they start shooting you they're sitting ducks.

Step two: when no more are in sight, go down to the barricade. Get a box nearby so you can jump back onto it if needs be. Shoot anyone you can from on top of it, otherwise move down and get the rest of them (they will tend to run into LoS).

Step three: EMP grenade, or go through the vents. There may be one still hanging around.

It's really really easy. I can't remember failing it without going out of my way to do it the fast way (shoot one of the TNTs)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Well I haven't gotten far with my Kill Everything playthrough, but a few choice paraphrases:

Manderly: "Oh and we're investigating a friendly fire incident that isn't that friendly"
Paul: "JESUS CHRIST JC!"
Alex Jacobsen's various freakouts.

Assuming that the invincible soldiers in UNATCO are the ones that are non-invincible later, only a half dozen or so people that you ever meet must survive by the game rules.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dammit Biomod, you lied to me :argh:

(The crossbow counts as a gun for no guns despite it specifically saying it does not)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Rat posted:

I'm running Shifter/Biomod and finding silly ways to kill people. Case in point, found these explosive barrels in the underbelly of the 747 and used my SUPER STRENGTH to move them all upstairs to the entrance to Lebedev's room. Then placed a LAM on the wall nearby.

You only need the LAM :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

I'm using an old version of shifter so can't do it yet, but I've read the readmes in biomod and seen no mention of this. How are people getting NPCs to hold specific weapons?

Stand next to them with a weapon and there'll be a message on screen telling you how. Drop weapon key, usually tab I think.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gynovore posted:

Depending on the difficulty level and your Demolitions skill, one LAM may or may not be enough. Two will always work.

I can't remember needing more than one, I don't know if it's different on Hard though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

How does this one work? Do you have to empty out your inventory in every new area or what?

When you finish a mission, you abandon everything. It's great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fuzz posted:

What's the best way to take out Navarre WITHOUT just blowing her up before she gets to Lebedev?

Flamethrower

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Also saw a datacube at unatco that said manderley had a safe in his office. Is that the case, or did I misread it? I think it was a shifter or biomod addition, haven't seen it before.

There "is" a safe in his office in one iteration of the map, but it's just a piece of geometry that you can't get to.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Ahaha, you can destroy the little roomba bots by stomping on them enough. It's even more fun than jumping on cats!

And in Shifter you get some huge number of SP

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bartkusa posted:

Anyone ever do a no-augs run of DX? Any fun?

Did no augs/no skills, that was pretty good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You want to get microfibral muscle, you just need a bin bag or similar to knock people out with level 3 or above.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

Do you ever get that explosive ammo type for yourself?

Yes. It's best as an anti-door ammo type that means you don't need the GEP gun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It should still be the same code

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I did a crowbar-only (well, and GEP for bots) game in Vanilla Deus Ex. That was great fun.

I also drank all the booze/zyme I could get my hand on, and at one point in Paris managed to jump outside the level with level 4 legs while drunk leaving myself trapped outside :saddowns:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I've had them spawn directly in my LOS before

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

stratdax posted:

That's what the description says, but there are a lot of turrets I've been able to change, and I'm only at trained. So I don't know.

It lets you muck around with the turret if you have the passcode, even if you hack.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

Edit: Figured out the item stack glitch. Having 4 weapon mods under my sniper rifle rules.

I have kept myself out of the dark with this game since I started playing it back in 2002. Are there special weapons that I should save weapon mods or or can I use them as I see fit to fix up regular weapons? I'm fixin' to use small arms and rifles if that matters.

There are no unique weapons in the basic game (the Shifter mod adds some)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Drop all your stuff every time you take a vehicle (eg helicopter, the boat) and if you're not sure save before you go. Better safe than sorry, not like you need the stuff at UNATCO.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That would be really hard to convincingly retcon into the original game - would you still go to the same places for some different reason while working for UNATCO?

Most of the missions of the game are helping Paul's side against MJ12 (Tong vs MJ12, Silhouette vs MJ12, X51 vs MJ12), just have the missions be against Tong/Silhouette/X51 rather than MJ12.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't think autosaving existed when this game came out

Half Life had it a couple of years earlier, although it wasn't common at that time.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Liberty Island is pretty terrible if you don't immediately put all your points into rifle and pistol, even if you aren't trying to play it as run and gun. Anyone who doesn't believe this is blinded by nostalgia or overadaptation.

Depending what you mean by overadaptation, the only weapon you need to use on Liberty Island is the crowbar. Unless you want to blow up the bot, in which case you need the GEP gun as well.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I constantly find myself thinking "eeeehhrrggghhhh Liberty Island again"

You can finish LI in a couple of minutes. Sneak past the first guards, go right, climb up the boxes and run to the top (sneaking past the couple of guard stations at the top of the tower)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What do you mean by this?

Compare it to Thief, where it's a pretty core part of the stealth gameplay.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah but... think of all the items I'd miss! As a Deus Ex player surely you must understand this.

edit: I guess I can get them after the statue is clear, can't I?

The main things you miss out on are the other option guns, some XP and a laser sight. Nothing game breaking if you've played the game before and should know what you're doing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you slap it on your pistol it's 100% accurate no matter how bad your skill is, so you can get instant headshots so long as you aim. No more waiting for the crosshair to shrink. Apparently shifter changes this, but that's stupid and I haven't played it.

It changes it to how it should work (which is waving around, but always accurate to where the dot is). The original one is clearly a bug as it completely marginalises the skill for the weapon you're using.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The most annoying thing about IW is that while most games don't offer an illusion of choice and don't offer choice, IW has one of the most detailed and involved illusions of choice that I've ever seen. There's a huge amount of things you can decide in the game, but none of them matter until you choose your ending.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

3 posted:

You can't really fault DX2 for giving you a well-built illusion of choice, but making it irrelevant until the end because that's exactly what Deus Ex did.

No, it didn't. Deus Ex has you making no particular choices at all throughout the game. You send the message. You ally with Paul. You help X-51. The only choices you have are of the "do I do this mission or do I not do this mission" or "do I kill this guy, avoid him or knock him out". The game reacts to the things you do choose, much better than almost every other game*, but it doesn't come close to hinting that you can change the major things. You can't ally with Page at any point, you can't betray Paul.

In IW, at the end you choose between the factions, the same factions throughout the game who have had you running missions. You can continually gently caress with a faction, having them send hit squad after hit squad to kill their horrible nemesis only to have them turn around as soon as they hit the ground and ask you if you want to work with them again. It might be comparable if you got to choose if you wanted to help Tong, the Illuminati or Page every mission and then you then arbitrarily got to choose one at the end. In Deus Ex, the endings may be an arbitrary choice but no matter what you do that choice is set up by the game you have played beforehand. They're three choices of reactions to what you've experienced. They're not a consequence of your choices before. The ones in IW have to be, but aren't.

*I'd say this is choice rather than the illusion of choice. It doesn't change the overall plot, but almost everything you can affect is rather small anyway. Page don't care if you go into the womens toilets.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Where does he say anything in regard to what I just posted?

Also, those interviews make my think that, while Harvey Smith understands a lot of why Deus Ex: IW sucks, he still didn't understand why Deus Ex was so good.

Deus Ex was so good because of random chance, basically.

Also remember that it's really difficult to make a sequel to something so freeform and nonsensical as Deus Ex. Different people like it for different reasons, and changing the balance will inevitably upset some of them (although sometimes this is justified, sometimes fans making a sequel or a continuation of something will concentrate mainly on the bits they liked the most, to the detriment of the rest of it). Especially RPGs, which are big and complicated and dense.