Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, but Deus Ex doesn't play well with Windows 7 and the graphics are dated. People who haven't played it and don't have the patience to try should check out FPS RPG Supergame Bioshock instead.

Steam can be a little tricky to navigate so here's a walkthrough to help those attempting to purchase Bioshock

you are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
try loving with your processor power/speed management settings in the bios.
also try preventing your processor from downclocking when it's not under load. You can change that in advanced power settings or something in windows 7. Mine would always go down to like 80% of the rated speed when it was idle and it never affected DX for me but it might for you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

So with the DX10 fix, does this work in Windows 7 64-Bit? Or am I gonna have to play it via my Windows XP shell install.

you dont need to do anything special for it to work fine in win7 x64

Also the LP sucks

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The DX hud doesn't really look right in any resolution above 640x480 and I kinda figure that it ought to be good enough to just do a crisp encoding of that and watch in 480p for youtube.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying the hud looks bad cause it's blown up. I'm saying the hud is designed for 640x480. It's the most readable in those teeny streaming video windows and the hud elements blend together instead of being cut off from each other at the corners. I don't actually play at 640x480, I just think that it looks best if you were going to make a video for the internet.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dash O Pepper posted:

you can only take one or the other

explain yourself

Leave a slot open, then find a 2nd invisibility canister to install the other one in vandenberg.

noob

edit: this guys a noob too V

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
go help renton's daughter with the pimp and talk to her a few times for the password your first time in hell's kitchen

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

I bought Deus Ex on steam literally 24 hours ago. Am I hosed, or can I get the sale price somehow?

you're hosed but hey it was only 10 bux anyway

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I don't see why everyone is so into a DX10 renderer for a 10 year old game. Same feeling about the UT3 cum shaders posted a while back. I tried both on a couple occasions and never worked correctly for me. I like the new OpenGL renderer though. Direct X is pretty much always backwards compatible with previous versions, by the way.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A good boy posted:

I wonder if Deus Ex (the first game, not the entire franchise) ever will be shareware and geeks are allowed to rebuild the game using the same audio etc only with better visuals/new textures. I dont know anything about programming and the likes so I'm not even sure if its possible, but I would sure love to see this game 'remade' like geeks did with System Shock 2.

Started playing this game again a few days ago and I'm simply in awe.

Look up the term shareware because that's not what it means.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the spy drone. I would just send it around corners to disable bots.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SM64Guy posted:

The guy that made the dx10 renderer and fixer tool would like people to test an experimental replacement exe that fixes problems at the root http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm might solve issues for people

removes acceleration? gently caress yes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IMO it's better to have the game look consistent than have some really high res textures on primitive geometry and a couple of high-poly models out of place in a 2000 game. Biomod is pretty awesome though, and worth a playthrough. Biomod is built off of Shifter so you don't need to install one, then the other or something like that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Flamethrower

I actually managed to shoot her enough times in the head right as she raised her gun at Lebedev. It seems like if she's already targeting him, she won't kill you as quickly. Lebedev survived.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"magnum" is a kind of ammo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
frankly considering they didn't implement the ability to climb waist-high objects that makes a big difference. One of my favorite things about biomod.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IanCaw posted:

Anyone ever spontaneously develop weird audio glitching? I just started another play through, got all speed glitches dealt with, and I just started getting audio static over top of the ALL sounds today (finished up the superfreighter).

It may be something my computer is doing because of heat or other programs, so it may not really be a DX issue, but here's the weird thing: at first going into the main menu or Settings menu would make the issue go away for a few minutes, but now the static happens immediately after starting the game.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Try increasing the audio latency (press the talk button, delete "say," type preferences, hit enter, select the audio subsection, increase from 50ms to 70 or something)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's like the Awful Fantasy romhack

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I quit when the first quest was to go hunting for credits.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems to me like weapon balance was really one of the weaker parts of Deus Ex. There isn't a ton of point in using weapons other than the tooth (baton early on), prod (for early on and MiBs), pistol, sniper, and GEP gun. It would be pretty hard to balance the usefulness of a flamethrower with that of the GEP gun, because one of them works at all ranges, but for instance the plasma rifle should absolutely annihilate any living thing it touches if it's going to take up as much inventory space as it does and have so little ammo available compared to rockets.

edit: I wish i knew how to edit the game rules as I would probably make my own set of modified weapons. Doesn't the SDK not work in Windows later than XP?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the patch may prevent the code from working before Daedalus gives it to you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would try restarting the game

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Train heavy weapons to advanced so you can run with one out. I like to have Swimming at Trained or Advanced cause I don't give a gently caress about rebreathers or aqualung and it opens up alternate routes on top of making those routes less tedious to wade through.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh god, I forgot about how little this game autosaves. I used to quicksave all the time, but modern games have ruined me.

biomod is good for this also climbing up waist high objects

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don't really need it, it just makes configuring the game a lot easier.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish GOG could get Thief and System Shock 2.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
seriously I was never that mean to the NSF :( they weren't hard to avoid and their vision is a lot worse than the later game enemies. But that little boy in france who's becoming an MJ12 trooper kind of reminds you that lots of people in this army probably are involved because they have no choice. So don't kill someone who's just doing his job... kill the real bad guys.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you didn't save and kill mr.renton to see what would happen, you never really played deus ex.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it also doubles as a way of disabling mantling, for that guy earlier who apparently wanted to disable it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anybody? I guess I could just play in 640x480 if nobody knows, but I'd really rather not...

It's still perfectly readable at like 1024x768 and if you run it at about 1400x1050 the gui will double in scale.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

I assum on a no items run he was still using the TNT crates as as grenades... if he wasn't...

he sure was and it involved carrying some crates tediously over long distances
he kills howard strong by falling on him i remember that part

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the pepper gun is really good but not when used in the way you'd think. Try standing like 15 feet away from enemies, so the clouds reach the enemy when they're starting to disappear. They will tear up every time.

edit: pretty much the ai and weapons are the worst tested part of deus ex and I think Spector said this in the post mortem. Consider the completely unused body moving mechanic.

brap fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 22, 2010

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

If you honestly think the crosshair settling times in the game when you're under level 3 in something are anything sort of retarded you're crazy.

I think that the crosshair shouldn't take more than like 3 seconds to fully relax, but it shouldn't zero in to a tiny point if you aren't at a high skill level. It should probably contract if you whip the mouse around quickly, too. I don't know if you meant sort of retarded or short of retarded.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The assault rifle definitely got the short end in DX. They made like 5 bullets from it as powerful as 1 bullet from the pistol for no good reason. And a 5-shot burst? What a clumsy design choice. It gave you the equivalent of like 6 pistol shots in a clip except you needed to hold the crosshair on someone longer while all the bullets emptied from it. Like you're annoying a guy to death.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think saving your stuff depends on suiciding with cigarettes but it lets him suicide at the first moment that dying will warp him to the jail cell.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Biomod files should overwrite any of the Shifter files that change the game. Worst case scenario, you try it, it doesn't work and you reinstall.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Try a non-interaction playthrough. No kills, no knockouts, no alerts, nothing.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trained swimming is worth getting. It's cheap and saves time.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Voice acting in mods always makes me shudder. The original game had loads of terrible "friends/family of the developers" actors especially in Hong Kong but goddamn.

"No thanks. I had a ham sandwich in the chopper." It's just... goddamn. Mad Ingram, the nano-augmented ham sandwich eating agent. I thought soy food, soda and candy bars were the only foods in this universe anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I expected no less from OverClocked ReMix.