Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was curious to see how they would integrate more and more of the original Deus Ex characters and themes into upcoming games. Oh well!

I would have also liked to have seen the original DE remade in a new engine while leaving the levels and story intact. But I guess you don't need a big studio for that, as the Black Mesa guys have shown. On the other hand, I remember hearing that Black Mesa still cost over a million bucks despite being an amateur project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I seem to recall liking the gameplay, though. There was some nice stealthing to be had.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think I remember the big open room having a turret (or something) that you can hack and it murders a bunch of guards before they destroy it. At least that was mildly amusing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So did you bring the GEP gun or crossbow

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Gunther having a head-cannon (skul-gun) was part of his internal head-canon

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Couldn't they just give the game the Black Mesa treatment? I mean, managing an indie project like that is supposedly like herding brain-damaged cats but still.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I thought Scholtz would come by and do some sort of commemorative speech but oh well :saddowns:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

This is the game that refuses to die. In 2121 they'll make a mod that lets people play Deus Ex on hyperspace non-euclidean CPUs that beam content directly into your brain.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Watching a walkthrough of DX1 and the guy encounters a 7-digit gatecode and is like "lol what if I try 867-5309?"

The look on his face when it actually works is classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-NmjKw4pU&t=1151s

(19:10 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is there something in particular that needs to be done to get access to Anna Navarre's and Gunther's killphrase? I'm at UNATCO HQ just after the Lebedev encounter. I know you're supposed to log in to their PC (ghermann, zeitgeist) and then Manderley's to get both halves. But I get an "invalid login" message on Gunther's PC. It's kind of weird; do I need to maybe talk to someone first to trigger it? Is this too late in the game to get it? I tried loading an earlier save, but no deal. This is on Revision, so I was wondering if it was just buggy but they have a cheevo for using the killphrases so it must work.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

it's not in a computer email afaik, you get gunther's phrase by leaving Jaime behind at unatco instead of encouraging him to visit hong kong

Yes that's true and I'll keep my (augmented) eyeballs peeled for that. But I'm pretty sure Anna's is in an email: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907997830

Not a big deal but I never tried it before in previous playthroughs and wanted to see it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

for anna's, try checking anna's computer instead of gunther's

I managed to find it - after you run into Paul at the MJ12 facility, he tells you about "demiurge / archon" and that did the trick.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Butterwagon posted:

Interesting breakdown of Deus Ex's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkn2ed7mZQ

An even more interesting breakdown of the Deus Ex main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVo3VqjL0Q

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Forget Jensen, the next game should place in 2051 and have you playing as Paul Denton.

I think there should also be a sidescroller named 'Gunther Hermann Adventures'.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Maybe something closer to the 'Paul moment' in HR is whether or not you get the firmware update for your augs. The game pushes you to get it by having your UI glitch out a bunch of times; and then if you do, the last boss gets to dunk on you somewhat. It's probably unusual to avoid the upgrade unless you go in knowing what it actually does. Mind you, they feed you a bunch of hints that LIMB is pretty nefarious, so it's still a bit contrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thief 3 still has tiny maps compared to the first two, though - but I guess that's to be expected. At least if you use the Sneaky Upgrade to get rid of the loading screens, they feel more properly Thief-like.