Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Trouble Man posted:

I like how one of the newspapers you can find just before the end of the game describes how America is just collapsing into riots and Governors are refusing to obey FEMA and the head of the Joint Chiefs gets sacked for refusing to order troops to fire on civilians and the Secretary of Defence resigns and it's all just going to hell.

It's chilling how when the game came out in 2000 I was like "terrorist attacks in New York, government spying, talk of secession, militias, FEMA death camps, this poo poo is whack" and now look 10 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

So, do you guys usually play with the default keybinds or do you remap them?

I got agitated at the right mouse button being the "universal activation and weapon holstering" button so I changed it to the more modernized "E" as the activation button. I'm almost having trouble adjusting to it at the moment though. Hmm. Guess we'll see which way ends up working better.

Do you still use ; as reload?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Stump Truck posted:

For some reason, it seems like every other time I play I meet Smuggler at the right time to rescue his friend, other times I can't find the password until the next time I get to NYC. Even though I just beat this game and put 20 hours into it I'm going to download Shifter and play it as soon as my schedule frees up.

There's a back way in to Smuggler's that doesn't require the password. I use it all the time, it's usually the first stop I make in Hell's Kitchen.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

go help renton's daughter with the pimp and talk to her a few times for the password your first time in hell's kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBA8No2uDPs

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

There's also the menu glitch for opening doors and using the multitool. If you hit escape or your inventory while trying to use a lockpick or multitool, then if you wait long enough, it will only take one lockpick/multitool to open that door, no matter how many it says it will take.

Do people regularly use this while playing? I've never done it besides to just test it out, it's pretty much tantamount to cheating yourself unlimited items. It's nearly impossible to run out of lockpicks or multitools if you level their skills to trained and bother exploring.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I am, and I wasn't trying to troll. I'm one of those guys that likes to play without reading strategy guides, faqs, or anything. I'm trying to do it just based on my own abilities.

Although I'm getting frustrated to the point where I'm going to have to seek out a walkthrough or something. I'm trying to play stealthy but the weapons don't work well. Pepper spray is useless, the charge prod only lasts for about 10 seconds and then the enemies run after me, and the pistol takes too long to kill anyone. Honestly, what are my options?

^^^ Is playing on normal really a better way to go?

:raise:

Definitely play it on normal. If you prod someone who's shaking, it knocks them unconscious. Crouch-walking is silent and faster than the patrol speed of the guards. If you're having trouble with the first floor of the statue, you can skip the entire lobby area by going far enough to the right after leaving the starting dock and climbing up the cargo containers to get to the second level. From there, you can probably just run past everyone to get to the commander at the top. I don't suggest doing that though because there are a number of good weapon mods scattered around the island and other stuff that'll be helpful in the future like lockpicks and medkits.

Oh also, as soon as you leave the starting dock, in the stack of crates on the left, one of them has a funny texture. You can destroy it with a C4 crate to find a medbot inside for unlimited healing.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

The bunker with the short circuiting machinery inside? If so that's a new one for me.

Oh btw, does anyone still remember the passcode for the supply depot behind UNATCO HQ? I'm surprised I still remembered after 6 years 0451 hell yeah.

I will remember nsf001/smashthestate and ajacobson/calvo (also 2001, meh) till the day I die. Although to be fair, those are early in the game and easy to remember.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Chunderbucket posted:

I don't think you can, it's just a shorter variation on Paul's code.

Last time I played through Smuggler's apartment, I was positive there was a data cube in the rafters over his room that had the code to his mirror. When I climbed up there to check it out, I was terribly confused when I didn't find anything, and now I'm confused how I got that impression in the first place.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

scryspc

Yeah, I've never gotten that one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Ansob. posted:

Taking away the player's weapons midgame is the pretty much at the top of my "list of design elements that make me want to murder the developers." It's a loving terrible idea and in 90% of the games where it happens it's because the devs couldn't be bothered to give you 9-10 weapons spread out over most of the game, so they give you the five that are in in the first half an hour and take them away from you over and over again. Crysis, I'm looking at you. :argh:

Deus Ex at least did it right (it's a stealth section with the goal being to get your gear back), and HL1 wasn't too terrible in the way it does it because you get everything back quite soon after that part.

Halflife 2 did it the best, you didn't lose your weapons until the very last stages of the game and what you got in return was infinitely better.