Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Wow, so I started playing Deus Ex for the first time, toward the tail end of the Deus Ex 3 thread, and just was not getting it. Part of it was not being familiar enough with things to explore, knowing what 'explore' meant in context, part of it was having slight motion sickness due to headbob, and part was not feeling all that threatening (realistic mode or die imho) compared to how bad-rear end my character was supposed to be.

Like several suggested, things picked up after the MJ12 exit reveal and the China quests seemed to make things alright, but I still wasn't 'getting' it--I could see how this 'could have been good back in the day' but nothing more.

Halfway through China, I read about the Shifter mod and install it, figuring I've missed tons of crap already anyway, restart the game from the beginning as Sam Jackson JC and my eyes are wide-the-gently caress-open. I can't be sure why, but I'd guess a lot is due to the way experience you gain is handled by the mod for doing 'cool poo poo', making you more aware of said cool poo poo in game.

Also, playing this a second time with an idea of what to expect has been huge. I just lead Miguel on a goddamn glorious run through the labs, gave him some great gear, had him handle more npc's than he really should have, babysat him through his suicidal robot attacking fits, survived most of the horrors of Unatco only to have him gunned-down by an errant soldier leaving the bathroom. Which would have been fixable had I quickloaded like I meant to instead of quicksaved like I did. gently caress.

Kill-phrased Anna, stormed out of the office, made it through the Versalife trap about 30x faster than I did first play-through, legs blown out from under me as I crawl into the elevator hoping the doors close before I get kissed by an anti-everything rocket. Saving. Loading. Doors open up to the market as the Wai Chin music starts playing.

Hell loving YES this game is phenomenal. It's like I'm playing Morrowind again for the first time.

Le Sean fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 13, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
How do weapon mods work in Deus Ex? If I mod a sniper rifle out the rear end and lose it, but pick up another sniper rifle, does it still have the mods? And how does this work with that whole 'regain your weapons from the armory' debacle? Is there a unique sniper rifle I should be on the lookout for that comes with the Shifter mod?

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Ugh, so I've been playing on and off all day and have been stuck in Paris in the catacombs. I've got no health besides a medpack i found, no energy besides a disc I found, and it seems like I HAVE to go through some room filled with radioactive crap.

Tell me I'm being ridiculous and missing a means to skip this area all together

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Weedle posted:

If I'm thinking of the right place, there should be a hazmat suit sitting around near the toxic room.

Oh, I definitely found the hazmat suit, but as soon as I step in the room I insta-die. I've turned on a hazmat aug, put on the suit, leveled up envi-protection to 3 (it's sort of nice not choking on my need for skill-points, thanks shifter!) and I still collapse immediately beyond the threshold.

God, I don't wanna god-mode this, but I might be forced to god-mode this.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Just reached the sub base. I am loving this railgun and precision sniper rifle, but I hope this level isn't just boxes within boxy corridors like the last one.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I'm close to the end right now and have got to say that this game has been a blast since killing Simmons. The level where you have to infiltrate a camp of soldiers about 2 levels before the final one definitely got me pumped--reminded me of a smaller version of the first level, in terms of strategy.

This game was definitely at its best when you were not in boring sewers or boring underground or in huge office halls that connected to other huge office halls.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I sort of don't feel like abusing augs is all that game-breaking, at least playing on realistic thus far. Sure, you can do a great, many things, but a headshot or a direct hit from something heavy will still TKO you instantly; it's a very fair balance between having it all, (your password is bionicman), and still facing worthy challenge.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
First level is actually a lot better in terms of layout than a lot of the mazily boring and completely interchangeable corridor-crawls you have to deal with later.

Just beat the game for the first time. Loved Bob Page's voice acting, very compelling. I'm not sure I'd want Denton to minister over the rest of the known world though; for all the gravitas his monotone voice lends, he doesn't seem to be beyond the pale as far as brains go, which is a point in his favor as far as protag, but a bit of a minus as far as god-king.

Suuure.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I could probably run Deus Ex on a couple crackers assuming I bought the carton withing the last few years.

You're running Vista?

What a shame.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't know you even could just go in the front door. :aaaaa:

What a shame.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I did not know this--does that work for all augs? You wait until you have a second canister, and then you can install both?

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I really loved the club set-up and would love a call-back to it in the new Deus Ex, tons of people drunk or rolling while thugs chose to ignore them while doing business through one way mirror.

Shifter mod seems to add in a few prototypes to the dragon's tooth, one of which appears to be significantly better (and it flashes red every so often, which is great when you run out of power and need a light).

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I almost feel like you have to go melee as one of your skills, since is never enough ammo if you want to stick to a certain branch--of course, it's not necessary to do so, and the game makes it easy to be good enough at everything to get by, but sometimes I'd rather not have to throw out a heavily modified rocket launcher because there hasnt been any ammo spawn in four levels.

Use the Prod. Prod.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I think that one has random damage. One moment it's the same as the pre-patch 125dmg behemoth Dragon's Tooth, and the next it will do 5dmg.

What a shame.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Now that I know how to cloak both to visuals and radar, I am thinking of playing again (!!!)!

I'm thinking of doing melee/sniper/grenades/lockpick run. Is there any benefit to not putting a few points into lockpick/electronics/computer at all?--it seems like having those trained a bit is both easy and required for living The Good Life in this game.

Then again, I guess it doesn't matter since shifter really throws a lot of points at you--by a bit over the half-way mark you can come close to maxing out the skills you use anyway, which is sort of fun, since you don't have to wait until the very last levels to be at your full potential (and further still, the game at realistic remains a realistic threat).

Maybe I'll try a limited-kills run, but the crossbow does not strike me as sexy in the least. In fact, it is pretty old-and-busted.

Does anyone know of a list of unique item locations + abilities in shifter? Perhaps my Googlefu is weak, but each and every search turns up dead ends or incomplete information. Also, any sexy mod recommendations would be appreciated. I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!

Le Sean fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
You people? Gods amongst AI.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
My vision is augmented.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

This is the correct answer. The best way to handle plot sensitive characters is to allow you to kill them, but flash a warning on the screen alerting you that the game is now impossible to complete.

Apparently, the reason they didn't do this in Oblivion or Fallout 3 was because too many retards played Morrowind and just kind of hurf durfed past the screen after they killed a plot sensitive character, clicking OK before they even read the message. Then they had the nerve to complain about Bethesda "breaking their game." These were probably the same people who couldn't find Caius Cosades in Balmora.

Anyway, knocking enemies unconscious in Oblivion instead of being able to kill them flat out was basically just Bethesda's way of putting training wheels on their game.

Then again, this probably wouldn't translate too well into a relatively linear, level based game like Deus Ex. It worked in Morrowind because even if you messed up the plot, there was still an entire open world to chill in. Breaking the plot in Deus Ex would kind of just completely hault the player from being able to do anything else.

Stuff like this is really interesting to read. I think you're right too, freedom of choice is the goal, but it needs to fit into the design constraints of the genre, atmosphere, and story telling technique. Last night I started cheating and put Deus Ex in 3rd person mode for a few minutes--I was taken by just how morrowindish a vibe I got, horrible animation and all.

For all the talk about consolization that goes on concerning every game that comes out, I think the example you point out is the most pernicious: it's the type of thinking that informs the entire rest of the game. Simple GUI, cover system, non-inventory management, none of these are bad on their own, none. Unfortunately, they never come on their own, ever--the only game to exist where they came on their own were probably the first game to implement them.

You plan a game where you say 'ok, everyone is gonna be killable, at least attackable, gently caress it' and that mindset informs how you go about creating the rest of the game. You get a Deus Ex (or Morrowind) which is closer to The Wire in terms of story continuity, whereas Oblivion is closer a Michael Bay movie.

Le Sean fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 20, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Tecman posted:

I'm really envious of the people that will be playing this for the first time. :) Oh god, the memories of my first playthrough.

(Take the GEP gun.)
I'm more envious of where he is right now, having played the game up to a point and, presumably, starting from the beginning.

My first time was a little rough.

What a shame.

Also, yeah, one of the sweet things about Morrowind was that even if you did kill off certain characters, there were several different ways to finish off the main quest--well, only a few specific things to do--but several ways to get there. Hell, you could figure a lot of stuff out from just reading one of the many tombs in-game and making a few hopeful treks yourself.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
China level is so sick.

Can you imagine this game just re-imaged? A HUGE Unatco building filled with tons of people, offices, and long and oppressive white corridors, the sounds (and smells) of paperwork in the air. A China level (and CHINACLUB) with throngs of people and rows upon rows of shops, your visual augs going crazy pinging from target to potential target, deciphering symbols and language on banners and what not, as you try and ease drop on conversation.

Ah, bliss.

One of the cool things I've noticed is that talking to certain people introduces them to you, so Suit and Old Woman become Mr. and Mrs. SoAndSo after you have a few words.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Whenever I've played Deus Ex I've always had this song playing in the background on repeat. I don't know why I do it, but now I can't play Deus Ex with the original music. The two go together really really well.

Edit: Actually I might as well go ahead and add the Terminator theme song as well. I'm going to end up making a whole playlist of songs to listen to while playing Deus Ex, aren't I?

I'd be down for a definitive DX Playlist

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
The 'what a shame' error needs to be patched into any fan remake.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

illectro posted:

I remember getting this with a Radeon 9000 card when I build myself a machine back in 2003, I mainly used the machine for audio editing so the game was never installed until late 2005 at which point I realised I'd wasted a lot of time playing Final Fantasy when I could have been blowing up civvies in Deus Ex

Texture updates would be nice to have, and lets face it the voice acting for most of the characters could be improved, just keep JC's dialog.

While we're at it, scrap the entire catacombs level. Yeesh.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Go in and go in and go in and go in--Paul!

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
This second playthrough has been great fun thus far. I started with maxed vision and power reduction augs, and gave myself maxed cloak next mission and maxed radar the mission after that. By the time I got captured, I was a decent enough threat sans weapons, which was great.

It's very fun walking around certain types of levels with robocop vision and making a play. The railgun is a great add, but it's too bad there arnt more weapons that pierce walls.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Mr. Peepers posted:

Last time I played through Smuggler's apartment, I was positive there was a data cube in the rafters over his room that had the code to his mirror. When I climbed up there to check it out, I was terribly confused when I didn't find anything, and now I'm confused how I got that impression in the first place.

Until someone posts where Smuggler's code comes from, I'll be unable to focus on anything else, which is just crazy 'cause my vision is augmented.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
That remix is so good it hurts.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Fnoigy posted:

I have no idea what this bum is you guys are talking about. Since I first played the game a year or so ago, I've gone through probably 2 or 3 times, and I've never had any bum come up and point a gun at me during my talk with Dowd, or heard anybody posing as my uncle (actually, maybe I HAVE heard that last one...).

I'm personally a fan of the blood-curdling death scream. It really does sound so painful, and like they're gargling blood or something.

I'm probably on my 3rdish playthrough and it's the first time I saw the bum. I've definitely SEEN him around, which is interesting, but this final playthrough I came around to Osgoods through a back alley (and not from the cemetery) and noticed Dowd kept getting shot at no matter how many times I reloaded my save. Went to check out who it was and saw a man in blue--I had assumed it was a cop like the one in front of the cemetery, but he was mad bumish.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Just got the thriilluminati ending for the first time. AH, YES!

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
What happens if you sneak into tracer tongs without the sword? Is there any new dialogue?

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Male Man posted:

You can't get into the secret basement, since the code is some 6-digit monstrosity they never tell you in the game.

And all we have to do is crack the code.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

I love active defense way too much to take the spy drone instead. Upgrading that thing to level 2 or 3 will protect you really, really well from just about every explosive weapon you'll ever have used against you, and bringing it up to level 4 turns fights against heavy bots and MJ12 commandos into hilarious suicide-fests.

Active defense is really really great at level four. I always thought spy-drone was much too slow to be fun, but I should probably give it a try during my 'destroy all comms on earth' playthrough.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
This thread will be my undoing. Every time I see it, I get this urge, a need, to replay this game again. I've beaten it 3 times in the last week and a half.

God, playing this thing is like exploring one of those choose your own adventure books--turn to page 56 if you go down the cellar or 12 if you climb the ladder--which makes it incredibly addictive. And that's terror.

gently caress you all, friends!

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Stump Truck posted:

Don't remember seeing this mentioned but this mod looks insane if it ever comes out anytime soon.

http://project2027.com/

It does look like they're still updating their website though so that's a good sign. Check out the trailer because it will give you a boner

This looks amazing, very Goldeneye-ish.

What happens to Lebedev if you kill Anna on the plane and high-tail it? Can you kill Gunther there as well? (gently caress Gunther, btw)

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Unless I'm tripping, the skull gun has always been in the vending machine Gunther was complaining in front of at UNATCO; as you are saying your goodbyes during your escape, make sure to stop by the machine and give it a fonzie love-tap.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Only canon JC is black JC. Playing the game like Sam Jackson is incredibly liberating.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Man, last playthrough I forgot to check down there and ended up going a long while without a laser sight for my rifle. Feels bad, man.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
I use shifter which I guess fixes that laser accuracy bug, but I mostly use the laser to walk around pretending I'm Arnold from the first Terminator.

Sarah Connor??
Go in, and go in, and go in, and go in like the mayor and his THREE daughters!
What a shame.

I am a mature adult.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Getting Miguel out of UNATCO is incredibly rewarding, especially when you try taking him with you to Hong Kong/New York.

He's just so nice! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

"How did you kill that MIB with no arms and no legs?"

"My jaw is augmented."

"Wa au ame."