Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rothgil posted:

One of the things I like about Chowder is that in the last few episodes they moved away from Chowder himself, and started focusing on Mung. There's some nice 4th wall breaking (Chowder realizing they're in a cartoon and making the viewer cry, Mung spending all the show's money and forcing the voice actors to get part time jobs to pay the animators).

With each new episode they make Endive even more desperate to land a man. Also larger and more grotesque for some reason. Her obsession with Schnitzel as her pool boy amuses me to no end.

Too bad Cartoon Network axed it!

I didn't realize they'd cancelled it. That makes me quite sad, I rather enjoyed it.

But even though it took me a while to get into Flapjack I think I like it a lot more than Chowder now. Not sure why, exactly, I just think in the long run it's the more appealing of the two shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Rothgil posted:

One of the things I like about Chowder is that in the last few episodes they moved away from Chowder himself, and started focusing on Mung. There's some nice 4th wall breaking (Chowder realizing they're in a cartoon and making the viewer cry, Mung spending all the show's money and forcing the voice actors to get part time jobs to pay the animators).

The only episode of Chowder I've ever seen (something about becoming a comedian which had a number of funny moments, such as going through the different types of comedy, such as topical humor- which they think is about topical ointment- and relationship humor- which they know nothing about) had a great fourth-wall joke in it. Chowder is scribbling with a crayon or something when he accidentially gets some on the "TV screen" and someone wipes it off for him. Chowder points to the Cartoon Network logo in the opposite corner of the screen and asks the other guy why he doesn't get rid of it. He responds to the effect of "That doesn't come off. I've tried."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know that Greenblatt, the creator of Chowder, said something about the show being canned, so I take it that these new episodes are the last ones that we'll see from that show? That's too bad.

I like how Dana Snyder, the voice of Master Shake, does the voice for Gazpacho, the mama's boy elephant-looking thing.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Fishylungs posted:

It and Wolverine and the X-Men were canned, Disney apparently has their own plans for both franchises. In the case of Spider-man, it's a new show based on Ultimate Spider-man.

It's a shame everyone has such I hard on for Ultimate Spider-man. I mean it's good, but they act like it's the best thing that's ever been done with the character. Spectacular was a similar concept with a much better execution.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I'm still completely bummed that they're getting rid of Chowder. It, Flapjack, and Adventure Time would be a great block of shows.

Y-Hat posted:

That's too bad, but I'm willing to give them a shot with the redirection of Spider-Man. Has anyone given a shot at animating the Ultimate universe yet?

The movie Ultimate Avengers. There's a sequel to it too, I haven't seen either of them so either someone here or in the BSS cartoon thread could tell you if they're good or not.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

mobo85 posted:

The only episode of Chowder I've ever seen (something about becoming a comedian which had a number of funny moments, such as going through the different types of comedy, such as topical humor- which they think is about topical ointment- and relationship humor- which they know nothing about) had a great fourth-wall joke in it. Chowder is scribbling with a crayon or something when he accidentially gets some on the "TV screen" and someone wipes it off for him. Chowder points to the Cartoon Network logo in the opposite corner of the screen and asks the other guy why he doesn't get rid of it. He responds to the effect of "That doesn't come off. I've tried."

I think the thing about Chowder that was neat, if not entirely along the lines of what Cartoon Network generally does for their viewers, was how playful it was about format and the 4th wall. They were frequently turning into puppets, meeting their creator to chat, and even once going live to the voice actors for a segment where they had to do something to get the animation back. It was nicely experimental in that way.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

dude789 posted:

I loved The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and I am really sad that it's over. Other people I've talked to don't like it as much as I do, but the show's humor really clicked with me.

Billy & Mandy was great. In fact, it's where I got my username from! :)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Macrame_God posted:

Billy & Mandy was great. In fact, it's where I got my username from! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jq4gYWz_sQ

(Great Snake Lord Shnissugah)

CN used to have a hilarious page at shnissugah.com (archived version) but now it just redirects to their main site.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 20, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Any word on if that new show starting this week, Generator Rex, is any good?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

muscles like this? posted:

Any word on if that new show starting this week, Generator Rex, is any good?

If it's anything like M Rex, the comic on which it was based, then I still have no idea because I haven't read or seen either.

Apparently the comics were okay.

e: Sharing my love of Billy and Mandy here. Hell, I even liked Evil con Carne, to a lesser extent. I'm really glad that General Scarr became a regular on Billy and Mandy after Grim and Evil's latter half was axed, he was really the most amusing character.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 21, 2010

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Cartoon network announced its new line-up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Suben posted:

Evolution was pretty entertaining during it's last two seasons (and probably even a bit towards the end of the second season).

Yeah, basically once the rest of the world finds out about the existence of mutants, the series gets a lot better (Day of Reckoning). Though a few of the season 3 episodes are some of the worst, actually. The one where Spike drinks some new energy drink and it makes him mutate so his can't retract his spikes/bones, and joins the Morlocks...though since he was by FAR the worst main character, they needed a way to get rid of him. And the one where Toad steals Nightcrawler's holo-emitter is pretty stupid, too.

But "Blind Alley" is really good. Mytique kidnaps Cyclops, and places him in the middle of a Mexican desert without his visor.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 22, 2010

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, basically once the rest of the world finds out about the existence of mutants, the series gets a lot better (Day of Reckoning). Though a few of the season 3 episodes are some of the worst, actually. The one where Spike drinks some new energy drink and it makes him mutate so his can't retract his spikes/bones, and joins the Morlocks...though since he was by FAR the worst main character, they needed a way to get rid of him. And the one where Toad steals Nightcrawler's holo-emitter is pretty stupid, too.

But "Blind Alley" is really good. Mytique kidnaps Cyclops, and places him in the middle of a Mexican desert without his visor.

Well, Cyclops has always been a dick.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

The Steak Justice posted:

e: Sharing my love of Billy and Mandy here. Hell, I even liked Evil con Carne, to a lesser extent. I'm really glad that General Scarr became a regular on Billy and Mandy after Grim and Evil's latter half was axed, he was really the most amusing character.

Evil Con Carne has probably one of my favorite episode of any show I've ever seen, "Gridlocked and Loaded." All of the characters, and a red shirt, are stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway on their way to buy an evil super weapon or something like that. It's a shame, though, that I've never been able to find it on youtube or any sites like that.

nfreakct
Jul 14, 2003

I bet you wouldn’t be so bossy if you kissed a girl.

thelaughingman posted:

Excited for Regular Show which should fit in nicely inbetween Flapjack and Adventure Time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fishylungs posted:

I'm still completely bummed that they're getting rid of Chowder. It, Flapjack, and Adventure Time would be a great block of shows.

The movie Ultimate Avengers. There's a sequel to it too, I haven't seen either of them so either someone here or in the BSS cartoon thread could tell you if they're good or not.

The first one, at least, is never offensively bad. It's just unsubtle and bland. Some of that is due to the simple fact that 75 minutes is not long enough for most of these features. They need the extra 10-20 minutes to really let the characters breathe. The rest is due to weak scripting, and a willful need to spell things out that don't need to be told, because they're shown.

Basically, if you can find it for under :10bux: and you have a free Sunday, there's worse ways to spend an hour. But there's much better too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Robotomy is the show made by one of the creators of Superjail!, so it's bound to be good.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

thelaughingman posted:

Wow, half of this actually looks good.
Looking most forward to Regular Show and Generator Rex. Yep. I'm expecting the show is going to be better than the promos make it look (as was the case with Chowder).

The Looney Tunes thing looks like a serious disappointment, though.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

thelaughingman posted:

It looks like the network is going back to what it knows since their direction towards reality shows didn't pan out. I couldn't be happier.

The Looney Tunes thing looks like a serious disappointment, though.
Cartoon Network has been hit or miss with its Loony Tunes endeavors in the past. Duck Dodgers was awesome, but the less said about Baby Loony Tunes, the better.

I'm also excited for Young Justice. CN has a great track record with its DC shows.

e: Yay, I get to backtrack!

According to this http://www.avclub.com/articles/cartoon-network-to-create-new-looney-tunes-get-rea,40389/, CN will continue adding more live-action stuff in the vein of sports programming.

Also, the new Loony Tunes show sounds horrible.

The article posted:

The Looney Tunes Show “takes Bugs and Daffy out of the woods and puts them into the suburbs with ‘colorful neighbors’ including Yosemite Sam, Granny, Tweety and Sylvester,” while “Merrie Melodies” will become two-minute music videos of “classic characters singing original songs,” and those stalwart Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote cartoons will get a computer-animated makeover.
Yeesh.

Episode fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 23, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Regular Show looks like it should ease the pain of Chowder getting canned.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
It seems like the 4th season is the mandatory death age for anything on the network not named Ed Edd 'n Eddy.
Which is depressing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It seems like the 4th season is the mandatory death age for anything on the network not named Ed Edd 'n Eddy.
Which is depressing.

Yep. 3 seasons is the magic number at which running all the existing episodes in endless repeats brings in as much or more income as premiering new ones.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Tower Prep is written by Paul Dini.

satchel
Apr 6, 2007
Whoever ye be think of me and the sea
I think I remember seeing that lollipop character from Regular Show in a short. He was in a restaurant and he tried paying them in lollipops, they told him to leave, and he hit someone with a chair. Does anyone remember that?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Just for fun, here's a look at some of Warner Bros.'s other attempts to revive the Looney Tunes characters, for better or for worse.

In the late '80s-early '90s, Warners featured a number of TV specials, shorts, and a feature (Daffy Duck's Quackbusters) directed by Greg Ford and Terry Lennon. There was obviously a lot of care put into these, even going so far as to use Carl Stalling and Milt Franklyn's original cues from the Golden Age shorts as background music. Probably their best was "Blooper Bunny," a satire of Warners's big "Bugs Bunny's 50th Birthday" celebration of 1990 that was meant to poke fun at the way the characters were depicted as goody-goody friendly-types in merchandising whereas in reality they don't get along with each other. Warners was apparently pissed off at the satire of their big promotion and held this cartoon from release for a number of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSiLBr-mOg

A few years ago, Warners attempted another revival of the characters featuring shorts meant to be shown before features written and directed by a team of writers culled from The Simpsons and Family Guy. These shorts are hit-or-miss- mostly miss- and were actually never released save for some foreign DVDs. This particular example, directed by Dan "Doofenshmirtz" Povenmire, has a few amusing moments (I for one think the closing gag is funny, even if it's out of place), despite the cartoon's general oddness and the horrible Porky Pig voice (apparently the result of the studio wanting to speed up the actor's voice just as Mel Blanc had done despite the fact that the actor is able to imitate Porky Pig spot-on without it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWw56ajKIhk

For those who want to see the rest of these just out of curiousity:
Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner in "The Whizzard of Ow"
Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam in "Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas"
Tweety and Sylvester in "Museum Scream"
Foghorn Leghorn in "Cock-A-Doodle-Duel" (probably the strangest of the bunch)
Daffy Duck in "Duck Dodgers: Attack of the Drones" (Keep an eye out for the Great Gazoo and Dr. Zoidberg, the latter an in-joke, as this was animated by "Futurama"'s Rough Draft)

And sometime in between those two, Warners had plans for a film playing on their "Baby Looney Tunes" merchandising line. This short was the only thing that came out of it, and it's pretty darn good (unlike the godawful "Baby Looney Tunes" series). Stan Freberg, the classic "John and Marsha/Dragonnet" comedian and voice of classic Warner character Pete Puma, is Cage E. Coyote. Look for the photo of Cage E. standing next to Chuck Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvgADFXHajs

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 23, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Y-Hat posted:

I like how Dana Snyder, the voice of Master Shake, does the voice for Gazpacho, the mama's boy elephant-looking thing.
I like how the voices are completely identical, because Dana Snyder is only capable of one voice. Although it's a testament to the characterization, both in writing and acting, that the two are total polar opposites.

While Flapjack and Chowder are both great for injecting grown up jokes and references, nothing in the past decade even approaches Billy and Mandy in terms of subversiveness. They did an entire episode that was a flawless parody and tribute to Dune, which is more than I could ever ask from a show.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Strange Matter posted:

While Flapjack and Chowder are both great for injecting grown up jokes and references, nothing in the past decade even approaches Billy and Mandy in terms of subversiveness. They did an entire episode that was a flawless parody and tribute to Dune, which is more than I could ever ask from a show.

There was also a great Dune reference in the beauty pageant episode of Billy and Mandy. One of the parts of the contest is a Gom Jabbar test.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Toonzone put up a review of Generator Rex.

edit: The offical site has a preview of the Monsters

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 23, 2010

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

hallo spacedog posted:

There was also a great Dune reference in the beauty pageant episode of Billy and Mandy. One of the parts of the contest is a Gom Jabbar test.

That episode is one of the greatest episodes of any cartoon. Mandy singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was hilarious.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

thelaughingman posted:

quote:

Regular Show

I'm seriously befuddled by this seemingly simple show, which was created after winning a short contest for the Cartoon Network. All I know is: Do not watch it high.

Speak for yourself. :350:

Man, are these all CN shows? Some of these sound more like Adult Swim shows.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Although some of them (such as the MAD Magazine show) do sound like they would be a better fit for Adult Swim, these are all officially Cartoon Network shows.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

hallo spacedog posted:

"It burns!!!"

Thanks for reminding me of that.

There was another episode where Mandy rides Kaneda's bike from Akira in a Godzilla pastiche. That was pretty good too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mobo85 posted:

Although some of them (such as the MAD Magazine show) do sound like they would be a better fit for Adult Swim, these are all officially Cartoon Network shows.

Well, thank goodness for whatever corporate mandate came along and OKed TV-PG material in Cartoon Network's normal lineup. They haven't taken it anywhere extreme, but it really lets the staff on their shows play things a little more loosely.

Y-Hat posted:

Johnny Test seems stupid to me for some reason.

I got to leave work early on April 1st and came home just in time to catch Cartoon Network's April Fool's day prank. This year, that entailed dubbing in flatulence noises onto every cartoon they aired. It was really well done, with a wide range of gastrointestinal sounds that were always played to great effect. The crappy Canadian teenager shows (Sixteen and...Stoked?) were mind-blowingly funny with these "enhancements," but in Johnny Test you couldn't even hear the goddamn fart noises because something loud was happening at all times. It seemed like every time anybody finished a sentence, there was a buzzer or an alarm or a general clattering sound effect in the background, and every movement on-screen was coupled with an unnecessary sound effect. It was the first time I had ever actually watched a full episode of the show and I was appalled by what I saw - I'm only 25 but Johnny Test brings out some insane old man rage in me. It's too goddamn loud, ugly and stupid, and Johnny is an astoundingly crappy protagonist who spent both episodes trying to be a lazy sack of poo poo and avoid doing any real work.

thelaughingman posted:

This is really promising after last year's live action reality show bonanza. I think now that both Nickelodeon and Disney have turned into clearinghouses for crappy, saccharine teen sitcoms, CN is realizing their best bet is to stick with animation and to do it really, really well. Regular Show and Robotomy both look like they will be worth checking out and could be a great addition to the Flapjack/Adventure Time power hour.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Y-Hat posted:

Johnny Test seems stupid to me for some reason.

Forgot to mention my absolutely rational hatred of this cartoon. The writing is hackneyed and overly drawn-out. There are aspects that make me wonder if the writers even care, or if they think that things that are painfully unfunny are supposed to be humorous. Definitely for the kids, that much is for sure.
For instance, the name of one of the villain groups is the "Johnny Stopping Evil Force 5." I guess the joke is that they have an overly long team name that they say a lot? Not to mention that half of the 'comedy' based around the villains of the series are "THEME PUN!"
The ice guy talks like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze from Batman and Robin. The Beekeeper guy puts emphasis on the sound "Bee" every time it comes up in his speech. Get it? The joke is that their dialogue is intentionally punbearable. That makes it funny! Right? I assume that it makes it funny.

Right, and one of the characters is actually named "Bling Bling Boy." Jesus tap-dancing Christ, the term was out of date when the series started.
e: Also the dog talks and drinks coffee! The joke is that dogs don't usually drink coffee! Hilarious!

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 23, 2010

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JethroMcB posted:

I got to leave work early on April 1st and came home just in time to catch Cartoon Network's April Fool's day prank. This year, that entailed dubbing in flatulence noises onto every cartoon they aired. It was really well done, with a wide range of gastrointestinal sounds that were always played to great effect. The crappy Canadian teenager shows (Sixteen and...Stoked?) were mind-blowingly funny with these "enhancements," but in Johnny Test you couldn't even hear the goddamn fart noises because something loud was happening at all times. It seemed like every time anybody finished a sentence, there was a buzzer or an alarm or a general clattering sound effect in the background, and every movement on-screen was coupled with an unnecessary sound effect.

Nearly every time anyone moves at all, it is accompanied by a whip crack sound effect.

Johnny Test is probably the worst non-anime thing on that channel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

There was another episode where the entire thing was a God Emperor of Dune reference.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

Nearly every time anyone moves at all, it is accompanied by a whip crack sound effect.

They don't even have much anime on Cartoon Network anymore. Off the top of my head, they have Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh 5D, and Bakugan- and they only show them in the morning.

Johnny Test tries too hard and fails pretty badly.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
The thing that kind of blows my mind, is that the creator of Johnny Test, Scott Fellows, also created the somewhat entertaining Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.. He even wrote a few decent episodes of that show, which suggests he isn't a talentless hack.

But, yeah, TV is a group effort and quality doesn't matter if you're ratings are solid, etc...

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

IRQ posted:

Fixed it.

Seriously, Pokemon is comedy gold when compared to this awful 'cartoon.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't watch the show but what's the deal with Ben 10 and the constant new series? It seems like every other season it's a new "series."