Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

muscles like this? posted:

I don't watch the show but what's the deal with Ben 10 and the constant new series? It seems like every other season it's a new "series."

I guess they needed a way around the mandatory 3 season death age for their most profitable program.

e: Here's hoping for Chowder Alien Force or some bullshit.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

The Steak Justice posted:

I guess they needed a way around the mandatory 3 season death age for their most profitable program.

e: Here's hoping for Chowder Alien Force or some bullshit.

Chowder: Food Congregation Alpha!
If nothing else, I can always dream...

As far as the Ben 10 thing? I dunno. Maybe a 'NEW SERIES!' every other year makes the concept look fresher than it really is?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Episode posted:

As far as the Ben 10 thing? I dunno. Maybe a 'NEW SERIES!' every other year makes the concept look fresher than it really is?

yeah but this time the characters they're rehashing are ULTIMATE

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Well, sorry to double post, but this is... curious.
Was just watching cartoon network and, quite to my surprise, they brought back Totally Spies.
I didn't realize anyone actually wanted it back. Didn't Cartoon Network only pick it up the first time because the network who aired it first dropped it?

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
Does anyone have a screengrab of that hilariously horrifying face that K'nuckles makes in that one episode of Flapjack?

It is the episode about that dog named "the Colonel" or something. K'nuckles was just so drat impressed by that dog doing a backflip.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Meeble posted:

Does anyone have a screengrab of that hilariously horrifying face that K'nuckles makes in that one episode of Flapjack?

It is the episode about that dog named "the Colonel" or something. K'nuckles was just so drat impressed by that dog doing a backflip.

I have a video, at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHD4RB-IoA

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

So, any thoughts on Generator Rex?

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I was feeling nostalgic and decided to put on an episode of Rocko's Modern Life for my daughter.
It doesn't really hold up that well. It's definitely a product of the time it was created in. On the other hand, Rugrats is still pretty fantastic.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

thelaughingman posted:

So, any thoughts on Generator Rex?

The monkey sidekick is one of the most annoying characters on television right now. Otherwise, it seems like standard action fare for the Ben 10 crowd. Nothing interesting really jumped out at me personally, though.

Digital Scumbag posted:

I was feeling nostalgic and decided to put on an episode of Rocko's Modern Life for my daughter.
It doesn't really hold up that well. It's definitely a product of the time it was created in. On the other hand, Rugrats is still pretty fantastic.
I'd like to see some of the early season episodes again some day. I remember them being pretty ingenious. It's too bad the show quickly and unfairly got blamed for being too saccharine early on. It didn't help that Nickelodeon and Klasky-Csupo ran it into the ground eventually, either.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Digital Scumbag posted:

Yeah, I remember it being one of my favorite shows as a kid and then going back and watching it again a few years back... yeah. It's not BAD like the old Marvel cartoons but it's just not as funny as I remember it being.

On the flipside, though, I do like that all the old Cartoon Cartoons I enjoyed still hold up. Especially Dexter's Lab.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I think episodes like Zanzibar or the Christmas finale would still hold up pretty well. I wouldn't be suprised if some of them didn't though.

Well, sorry to double post, but this is... curious.
Was just watching cartoon network and, quite to my surprise, they brought back Totally Spies.
I didn't realize anyone actually wanted it back. Didn't Cartoon Network only pick it up the first time because the network who aired it first dropped it?

I'll freely admit Totally Spies was actually kind of entertaining. Are you sure they're not just airing the 2009 movie though? (I looked this up on wikipedia just now, this isn't something I know)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Episode posted:

I'd like to see some of the early season episodes again some day. I remember them being pretty ingenious. It's too bad the show quickly and unfairly got blamed for being too saccharine early on. It didn't help that Nickelodeon and Klasky-Csupo ran it into the ground eventually, either.

Rugrats was such a glorious show in it's early days. Then Baby Dil was born, and that's when the whole show took a nosedive. I think I stopped watching it sometime before the Rugrats in Paris movie came out.

It wasn't until later that I found out Chuckie was voiced by a scientologist, and I died a little inside. :cry:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Fishylungs posted:

I'll freely admit Totally Spies was actually kind of entertaining. Are you sure they're not just airing the 2009 movie though? (I looked this up on wikipedia just now, this isn't something I know)

Nope, it turns out that they're starting the series again. The "new episode" tag and everything showed up.
I'm not sure I'm 100% on this.

Wait oh my god is this a spinoff of it too now? Just saw the title card for "The Amazing Spiez," which appears to have a very similar art and animation style.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Nope, it turns out that they're starting the series again. The "new episode" tag and everything showed up.
I'm not sure I'm 100% on this.

Wait oh my god is this a spinoff of it too now? Just saw the title card for "The Amazing Spiez," which appears to have a very similar art and animation style.

The magic of wikipedia answers all these questions, and others you never even cared about.

Apparently the French still think its cool to add Zs to things.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
Oh boy, now CN can oversaturate the programming line-up with another cheaply made French cartoon! Gee, I hope they run this back to back with the horribly unfunny Garfield Show?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Fishylungs posted:

The magic of wikipedia answers all these questions, and others you never even cared about.

Apparently the French still think its cool to add Zs to things.

French Anime (franime?) is something society could really do without.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Fishylungs posted:

I think episodes like Zanzibar or the Christmas finale would still hold up pretty well. I wouldn't be suprised if some of them didn't though.

Yeah, Totally Spies was much better than I thought it would be, or at least the first season or two were. If you could get past the whole overall idea of teenage girls as spies, the plot of the individual episodes were pretty solid and some of the gadgets were clever.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Fishylungs posted:

Both Zanzibar and I HAVE NO SON are the best episodes of the series and still hold up well.

I always wanted an avatar of Ralph Bighead hitting his head on the desk going NEVER!

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

kefkafloyd posted:

Both Zanzibar and I HAVE NO SON are the best episodes of the series and still hold up well.

I always wanted an avatar of Ralph Bighead hitting his head on the desk going NEVER!

Rocko working for the phone sex line and poorly reading from the script, at least at a younger age, slayed me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Shadow The Rat posted:

Rocko working for the phone sex line and poorly reading from the script, at least at a younger age, slayed me.

I also found that quite humorous. One of the best bits is when Rocko is buying a new TV, and the sales machine keeps denying his request.

MISTER SEEENSIIIBLLLEEEE!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

kefkafloyd posted:

Don't forget "Wacky Delly," which works on two levels: a satire of the animation industry, and the bizarre hilariousness of Wacky Delly itself.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shadow The Rat posted:

What episode was this? I don't believe I remember that scene (somehow I didn't know what phone sex was when I was 12).

mobo85 posted:

Don't forget "Wacky Delly," which works on two levels: a satire of the animation industry, and the bizarre hilariousness of Wacky Delly itself.

"I... AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW! I AM BETTER THAN THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!"

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 28, 2010

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What episode was this? I don't believe I remember that scene (somehow I didn't know what phone sex was when I was 12).

'Canned'. Rocko loses his job at a giant comic book store and spends the rest of the episode job hunting.

"Oh baby...Oh baby...Oh baby..."
"...Rocko?"
"Mrs. Bighead!?!"

It's never flat out called 'phone sex'. I think the ad in the paper said something like 'Specialty Phone Operator', but it's pretty drat clear what the writers meant. There's even a sign behind Rocko during the scene that says 'Be Hot, Be Naughty, Be Courteous'.

I miss the lax censorship of early nineties cartoons.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

Episode posted:

I miss the lax censorship of early nineties cartoons.

Yeah the only thing they retroactively censored in Rocko was Chokey Chicken. Ren & Stimpy only got one minor scene cut after airing where Ren vomits in the toilet in the pilot/The Big Sleep.

Then again if you've seen most of what was cut out from airing in R&S it's pretty blatantly obvious Kricfalusi probably made episodes run longer knowing half of it would have to be cut for Nick.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
There's also the episode where Mr. Bighead is a secretly a clown that acts as a very obvious metaphor for being gay/coming out. The episode is even called "Closet Clown."

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I wish that the Cartoonstitute shorts for CN made it to air, but that they tried something like Cartoon Cartoons again is something, anyway. Chowder and Flapjack were a good way to refresh the network's original programming, after the loss of Foster's and the dreck like My Gym Partner is a Monkey. Adventure Time is as great as it should be and Regular Show looks pretty good too. I find it neat where Quintel got designs for the show from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y894QNtX0VA

Chibs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 28, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dude789 posted:

If you could get past the whole overall idea of teenage girls as spies,

If you can do that, change the channel and watch Kim Possible, which is better in every way.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I just remembered a scene in Chowder where he's trying to learn to write, and he's fighting a bunch of letters, including one scene where the letter "R" is stalking him down a back alley. If I'm not reading too much into it, then it's amazing that they managed to get that onto a kid's show.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

I just remembered a scene in Chowder where he's trying to learn to write, and he's fighting a bunch of letters, including one scene where the letter "R" is stalking him down a back alley. If I'm not reading too much into it, then it's amazing that they managed to get that onto a kid's show.

The most amazing I think was that Spongebob ep where they covered gay marriage, domestic abuse, and suicide all in the same 10 minutes. That took effort.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mobo85 posted:

It also works when you realize it accurately predicted the advent of Adult Swim.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chibs posted:

Adventure Time is as great as it should be
I keep loving missing the new episodes every Monday. One of these days I won't nap through it.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Don't know what the industry term is for it, or even if there is one, but bless all the TV people for putting jokes that only parents have the experience to understand.

It's so awesome (and usually genuinely hilarious) to catch some 80's reference or something that is over the demographic's head. Or have movies and stuff parodied that obviously the child wouldn't have seen before.

Billy and Mandy's "El Gado" or whatever dude based off Snake Plissken and Ash from Evil Dead come to mind.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Episode posted:

'Canned'. Rocko loses his job at a giant comic book store and spends the rest of the episode job hunting.

Kind of a Lot of Comics! Everything in that show just had kind of weird names, like Really Really Big Man, who had nipples of the future (and a really really big kitchen).

Also, Hoss Delgado, voiced by the best comedy Batman. :3: Names are kind of the funnest things in a good show, like everything in Chowder, or the animals of Avatar: TLA.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Digital Scumbag posted:

Don't know what the industry term is for it, or even if there is one, but bless all the TV people for putting jokes that only parents have the experience to understand.

It's so awesome (and usually genuinely hilarious) to catch some 80's reference or something that is over the demographic's head. Or have movies and stuff parodied that obviously the child wouldn't have seen before.

Billy and Mandy's "El Gado" or whatever dude based off Snake Plissken and Ash from Evil Dead come to mind.

Parental Bonus, right?

e: Oh and the guy's name is Hoss Delgado

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 28, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Adventure Time is pretty much the best parts of Flapjack, Spongebob and Chowder combined. Overall, Flapjack is probably still better, but I attribute some of that to the fact that Flapjack has been on for longer.

I hope that CN does a proper DVD release for AT and Flapjack so that if I ever have kids they can watch this stuff and become awesome.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Digital Scumbag posted:

There is also Blackula Dracula.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
People may hate on it for not being "dark and edgy" but Batman: The Brave and the Bold is loving awesome. Silver Age Batman is just as good as crazy, brooding Batman :colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Meeble posted:

People may hate on it for not being "dark and edgy" but Batman: The Brave and the Bold is loving awesome. Silver Age Batman is just as good as crazy, brooding Batman :colbert:

Aquaman is the best character on the show.

And they can do "edgy" batman whenever they want - see Chill of the Night.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Fishylungs posted:

Kind of a Lot of Comics! Everything in that show just had kind of weird names, like Really Really Big Man, who had nipples of the future (and a really really big kitchen).

We would have also accepted "humongous."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Meeble posted:

You can't really compare the '90s animated series to The Brave and the Bold, they're two completely different shows. They're both very good too.