Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

scorpiobean posted:

I know this show has been mentioned a few times before, but this is one I try to watch whenever I can (which is not so often unfortunately). One particularly awesome episode had a musical villain (voiced by Neil Patrick Harris oh my god) who controlled the other characters through song and the vast majority of the lines in that episode were sung. I liked this show before, but I think that particular episode really got me to fall for it.

This episode was on last night, and it was indeed pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
I think it's okay to not like a show's designs. Phineas and Ferb's designs really turn me off. But then, I loved Ed Edd & Eddy's designs and most people hate those. It's all taste.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
By far the show I miss the most is Megas XLR, an action/comedy show that was on Cartoon Network a few years back. In the distant future, humanity is at war with an alien species. The humans are losing badly, and in the course of the war a super advanced prototype mecha from the future gets sent back in time. The robot winds up the hands of Coop, a gluttonous slacker in present day New Jersey, who promptly mods the entire thing: he replaces the head with his car, paints rockin' flames on the armor... pretty much what you would expect. He also mods the control systems, so that when the future folks (humans and aliens) come back looking for it, Coop is the only person able to understand the new controls. Employing skills garnered from years of video games and watching pro wrestling, Coop beats back the aliens (leveling Jersey City in the process, but eh).

The show was a fantastic love letter to giant robot shows of the past, with parodies of nearly every iconic giant robot/alien you can think of. Naturally, Coop beats the crap out of all of them (flattening Jersey City most weeks in the process), employing every kind of attack you can imagine and all of this is to an appropriately rocking soundtrack.

It lasted for about two seasons, and ends right after a goddamn fantastic episode that opens up a whole new realm of possible stuff to clobber. I'd love to see DVDs of this show, but after so many years I've just resigned myself to the fact that they're probably never going to happen.

I dig giant robots. :unsmith:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
There are only two things that need to be said about Megas XLR:

1.) Bruce Campbell is a semi-recurring villain
2.) Stephen Blum plays the least Blum-y character he's ever voiced

There's also some pretty hilarious anime pastiches, including a parody of Captain Harlock which is near heresy in some circles.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Strange Matter posted:

2.) Stephen Blum plays the least Blum-y character he's ever voiced

I dunno, it's still a slight variation on the "Blum voice". Compared to his more recent work in Gurren-Lagann and Mass Effect 2, it's still pretty drat easy to tell it's him.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

Chibs posted:

I'm sorry you hate someone's cartoon pictures. You should tell those horrible cartoon people to draw in a cohesive realistic style, give each character discerning facial characteristics (wrinkles, blemishes, etc.), draw each strand of hair individually, and crosshatch every frame by hand and make every frame a nightmare for the animators because gently caress those lazy assholes, if you 'jes wanna doodle go'on back to kindygarden, this is a cartoon for cryin' out loud!!

It's a cartoon, for children, and you're angry how "kiddy" it looks? I sat here looking at your post for about five minutes because I just didn't believe anyone could come up with such flimsy reasoning to arbitrarily dislike something but hey. :shobon:

tldr hurr it's supposed to be that way

This post is ridiculous. I'm sorry I offended you because I don't like the look of your favorite "cartoon for children." Someone asked me what I thought was so horrible about the character's design and I responded. I'm not raging out or angry. I wouldn't have said anything more than my original post had I not been asked. I just choose not to watch it because the design turns me off.

It's pretty creepy that you looked at my post for five minutes. I guess it made you p. mad, bro. Sorry.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Khurath posted:

By far the show I miss the most is Megas XLR, an action/comedy show that was on Cartoon Network a few years back. In the distant future, humanity is at war with an alien species. The humans are losing badly, and in the course of the war a super advanced prototype mecha from the future gets sent back in time. The robot winds up the hands of Coop, a gluttonous slacker in present day New Jersey, who promptly mods the entire thing: he replaces the head with his car, paints rockin' flames on the armor... pretty much what you would expect. He also mods the control systems, so that when the future folks (humans and aliens) come back looking for it, Coop is the only person able to understand the new controls. Employing skills garnered from years of video games and watching pro wrestling, Coop beats back the aliens (leveling Jersey City in the process, but eh).

The show was a fantastic love letter to giant robot shows of the past, with parodies of nearly every iconic giant robot/alien you can think of. Naturally, Coop beats the crap out of all of them (flattening Jersey City most weeks in the process), employing every kind of attack you can imagine and all of this is to an appropriately rocking soundtrack.

It lasted for about two seasons, and ends right after a goddamn fantastic episode that opens up a whole new realm of possible stuff to clobber. I'd love to see DVDs of this show, but after so many years I've just resigned myself to the fact that they're probably never going to happen.

I too wish I could do this:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TigerMoJo posted:

This post is ridiculous. I'm sorry I offended you because I don't like the look of your favorite "cartoon for children." Someone asked me what I thought was so horrible about the character's design and I responded. I'm not raging out or angry. I wouldn't have said anything more than my original post had I not been asked. I just choose not to watch it because the design turns me off.

It's pretty creepy that you looked at my post for five minutes. I guess it made you p. mad, bro. Sorry.

Your own avatar has some of the problems you complained about, but whatever (no mouth, geometric features, unrealistic in that a lion can't write, ears are all wrong, that hat must weigh 300 lbs, manes do not look like that, lion bodies do not have heads in that proportion, their eyes are not yellow with tiny dots, their noses are not pink, etc. [see how retardedly spergy that poo poo is about a cartoon?])

I don't get your complains about the show's art design really, and based on your "criticism" of Phineas and Ferb's art design I question whether you even have the capacity to enjoy any cartoon since none of them are realistic, but I don't care to evangelize a kid's cartoon either.

It's your loss and that's all there is to it. That's cool though, we don't all have to like the same stuff.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

TigerMoJo posted:

It's pretty creepy that you looked at my post for five minutes.

Ever see a train wreck?

I'll concede that it's fine you don't like the designs, but the reasons you gave just seem ridiculous. I guess you have a hard time articulating yourself, though, since the first time someone asked you all you could belch out was "Really?" I suppose we can't all be as perceptive as you. :smugbert:

edit: All these four and six year olds you happen to know all sound pretty talented, you ought to encourage them to get a career in animation!

Chibs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 2, 2010

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

^^^ I said that because I wasn't the first person to say that the designs were a turn off in this thread and yet got singled out to explain myself like I was a lone wolf in that thought process.

IRQ posted:

Your own avatar has some of the problems you complained about, but whatever (no mouth, geometric features, unrealistic in that a lion can't write, ears are all wrong, that hat must weigh 300 lbs, manes do not look like that, lion bodies do not have heads in that proportion, their eyes are not yellow with tiny dots, their noses are not pink, etc. [see how retardedly spergy that poo poo is about a cartoon?])

I don't get your complains about the show's art design really, and based on your "criticism" of Phineas and Ferb's art design I question whether you even have the capacity to enjoy any cartoon since none of them are realistic, but I don't care to evangelize a kid's cartoon either.

It's your loss and that's all there is to it. That's cool though, we don't all have to like the same stuff.

That is not at all what I was complaining about. I don't expect perfect proportions or scientifically accurate drawings in cartoons obviously. Just not something that looks like my cousin's 6 year old came up with it. The only person sperging in this thread is my bro Chibs up there. A lot of other people had mentioned not liking the Phineas and Ferb designs before me in this thread but you singled me out for whatever reason so I responded and you apparently read into it exactly what you wanted to hear/believe and not what I said. The designs look really ugly to me and annoying. I'm sure I'm missing out big time though what will I ever do if I don't watch Phineas and Ferb.

TigerMoJo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 2, 2010

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TigerMoJo posted:

That is not at all what I was complaining about. I don't expect perfect proportions or scientifically accurate drawings in cartoons obviously. Just not something that looks like my cousin's 6 year old came up with it. The only person sperging in this thread is my bro Chibs up there. A lot of other people had mentioned not liking the Phineas and Ferb designs before me in this thread but you singled me out for whatever reason so I responded and you apparently read into it exactly what you wanted to hear/believe and not what I said. The designs look really ugly to me and annoying. I'm sure I'm missing out big time though what will I ever do if I don't watch Phineas and Ferb.

I certainly haven't taken notes on the thread or whatever, but you're the only person I've ever seen complain about the art direction on that show. I know you say someone else has complained but I'm not seeing it. I didn't mean to single you out, I just don't understand the hate for the art design. I didn't see anyone else complaining about the art direction in that show. Hell, it's fairly standard in its oddness.

But really, find me a 6 year old or 4 year old or whatever you claim it looks like who can do that and I'll shut up. The guys who made it worked on Rocko's Modern Life and the designs are inspired by Tex Avery. Like I said before, I just don't understand the hate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khurath posted:

More importantly, leveling Jersey City each episode.

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
Someone help me out here. I remember being a kid in the mid 90s, and there was a show on cartoon network where the main character was some computer nerd, who got powers from his computer...the character he turned into was a guy in a red jumpsuit, either an ! or lighting bolt on his head, and hair sraight up. I cannot for the life of me remember this character.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Freakazoid?

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
THANK YOU! That bugged me so badly, haha. This kid at work stumpled into a room, with his hair looking like that, but i couldn't draw the conclusion.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Freakazoid is out on DVD I believe. Yup! 2 Seasons!

I keep seeing all of Duckman, too. Not a kid's show.. but still, I watched it all the time when I was a kid.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

The Steak Justice posted:

I have a video, at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHD4RB-IoA

My God, this is what I've been missing out on by not watching Cartoon Network? :aaaaa:

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The designs of Phineas and Ferb and also the fact that its musical puts me off from watching this show.

His head is a triangle.

Anyway in my cable package I get a channel called KidsCo, its really terrible, very cheap and poorly made. Fortunately it runs a lot of the old video game cartoons so I don't find it completely worthless, but it also runs cheesy cheep stuff from these guys.
http://www.mondotv.it/MondoTV_EN.htm
This crap is the definitive worst, occasionally it reaches so bad its good levels, but most of the time not even that.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pleasant Friend posted:

Anyway in my cable package I get a channel called KidsCo, its really terrible, very cheap and poorly made. Fortunately it runs a lot of the old video game cartoons so I don't find it completely worthless, but it also runs cheesy cheep stuff from these guys.
http://www.mondotv.it/MondoTV_EN.htm
This crap is the definitive worst, occasionally it reaches so bad its good levels, but most of the time not even that.

The 'properties' brochure (http://www.mondotv.it/RIGHTS_PORTFOLIO_MONDOTV_2009_2010-ii.pdf) from that website is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while.

nfreakct
Jul 14, 2003

I bet you wouldn’t be so bossy if you kissed a girl.

Sockser posted:

Shows that have been mediocre to terrible:
El Tigre

That you could even put El Tigre in the same category as Johnny Test is blasphemy. El Tigre is (was) a pretty solid cartoon that had some great moments and some lovely design all around. Too bad it was canceled after only 2 seasons.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I dunno, it's still a slight variation on the "Blum voice". Compared to his more recent work in Gurren-Lagann and Mass Effect 2, it's still pretty drat easy to tell it's him.

I think it's more in terms of the type of character. If Blum is voicing someone, the guy is usually King Badass. Jamie is the total opposite: a dorky, whiny, cowardly loser.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gorelab posted:

Freakazoid?

That was quite a jolt Freak.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

nfreakct posted:

That you could even put El Tigre in the same category as Johnny Test is blasphemy. El Tigre is (was) a pretty solid cartoon that had some great moments and some lovely design all around. Too bad it was canceled after only 2 seasons.

Part of the problem I think, is that in my head it kinda gets blended with Mucha Lucha which was just terrible.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Hey Freakazoid. I got two tickets to the mud baths. Wanna come?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey Freakazoid. Wanna go get a mint?

Something about going to a place called "Make Mine Mint!", and not letting the viewer see what exactly they ate or what the store stocks cracks me up

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Strange Matter posted:

There are only two things that need to be said about Megas XLR:

3) It was done by the same production staff that did MTV's "Downtown" circa 1999, which had the same visual style and even shared a character with Megas. They also took the chance to destroy an MTV-esque logo/building with a giant robot in most episodes.

muscles like this? posted:

That was quite a jolt Freak.

And Weena Mercator as "The Hopping Woman"

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

The 'properties' brochure (http://www.mondotv.it/RIGHTS_PORTFOLIO_MONDOTV_2009_2010-ii.pdf) from that website is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while.
Wow, Space Goofs is still around in some sense? I remember seeing that show years ago on Fox. It was completely forgettable.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Yes, well I'm afraid as we explained in the letter, Mr. Scunthorpe, you can't have the name "Lord Bravery" because it's being used by another business- specifically, Lord Bravery's Bake Shop. As it just so happens, I have a database of pre-approved names of companies that aren't around anymore:

-Smoked Meats and Fishes (you could put "Lord" in front of it)
-Southside Medical Plaza
-Bungle's Rubber Toy Zoo
-Mr. Tiny's Midget Pony Ride
-Taste of Tanbura
-Dreamworks...oops, sorry it just got taken. Oops- and again! There'll be a lawsuit there!
-PLASTICS ADVISORY BOARD!

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I now understand the MPAA Rating System thanks to Freakazoid.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

thelaughingman posted:

I now understand the MPAA Rating System thanks to Freakazoid.

Oh, yes, how could I forget that? With Jack Valenti (and his cheeks) voicing himself, no less.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
What other show could have a B-list home improvement guy like Norm Abrahm guest star? And what kids are going to know who he is, other than those whose grandfathers made them watch New Yankee Workshop on the weekends?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
^^^ In the series finale, no less!

mobo85 posted:

Oh, yes, how could I forget that? With Jack Valenti (and his cheeks) voicing himself, no less.

Sergeant Scruffy isn't coming to this one, since he's just a dog.

Also, I am not ashamed to admit that I sometimes yell "HUGGBEES!" when accomplishing something in multiplayer games.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
Why in the gently caress does Cartoon Network air Johnny Test so much? Seriously, everytime I go past that channel there is a 50% chance that show is on. Is it really that popular? :psyduck:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My favourite P&F moment so far

And it doesn't really bug me that Phineas and Ferb are shaped broadly like the letters P and F respectively. Or that Ferb is voiced by that kid from that Doctor Who two-parter where the Doctor is disguised as a human. Maybe the former not bugging me is cos I like Ed Edd n Eddy and that has even more bizarre character design.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Or that Ferb is voiced by that kid from that Doctor Who two-parter where the Doctor is disguised as a human.

You mean Liam Neeson's son in Love Actually :colbert:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

You mean Liam Neeson's son in Love Actually :colbert:

He can be two things.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Meeble posted:

I think they started to explode in popularity after Kung-Fu Panda. But I think Skunk-fu predates that movie.
Then maybe we can place the blame on Jackie Chan Adventures? Granted, that was a good show (except for the last season).

Episode posted:

I heard somewhere that Nickelodeon was looking into a Monsters Vs. Aliens series as well.
That wouldn't surprise me, since they have spin-off shows of Barnyard and Madagascar.

mobo85 posted:

The thing that made me love Phineas and Ferb right off the bat was the end of their theme song.

"MOM! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!"

The first time I heard that, I laughed out loud. That line alone is a perfect example of the show's style of humor.
It's also the only show that I know of that has a joke related to the theme song. The episode where the family is stuck on an island:

(Candace sees Ferb washing a monkey)

Candace: Why are you giving a monkey a shower?

Ferb: It had to be done.

Also I could care less about the designs. It's a cartoon, lighten up a little.

Meeble posted:

Why in the gently caress does Cartoon Network air Johnny Test so much? Seriously, everytime I go past that channel there is a 50% chance that show is on. Is it really that popular? :psyduck:
I guess dedicating the same amount of time to Scooby Doo spin-offs has become passe and they need another crappy show to fill the void.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr Snofeld posted:

My favourite P&F moment so far

What episode is that from, I don't remember it.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

What episode is that from, I don't remember it.

"Finding Mary McGuffin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You know, there actually have been okay shows in that Bakugan timeslot in the past. In particular there is one that I have forgotten the name of (Sillytown or Sunnyville or something) that was a sendup of GMA type programming. It had extremely basic designs and looked to be made for children but for some reason it was actually a charming little show and I can't help but wonder what happened to it. I mean there's no way it pulled in good ratings since they were airing it at six in the morning but you never know...

edit: Oh thats it, The Mr. Man Show.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 3, 2010