Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

JethroMcB posted:

3) It was done by the same production staff that did MTV's "Downtown" circa 1999, which had the same visual style and even shared a character with Megas. They also took the chance to destroy an MTV-esque logo/building with a giant robot in most episodes.
Was that Goat the junk yard owner? Because he's also cameoed in Metalocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

So, what's the consensus on Fanboy and Chumchum?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

404GoonNotFound posted:

^^^ In the series finale, no less!

They talked about this on the DVD; it was basically a bet by Jean MacCurdy (sp) with some CBS executive as to who could get the most obscure guest star in their shows. The Freakazoid guys went with Norm Abrahm. I forget who CBS went with (I think it was one of the guys from 60 Minutes or some other news guy), but it was even more obscure and they lost the bet. They weren't planning on it being the series finale, but, well, hiatus executive decisions make fools of us all.

(and yes, my grandfather watched nothing but New Yankee Workshop on Sunday mornings).

"You're an evil man!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thelaughingman posted:

Cancer.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

thelaughingman posted:

When you've got two lead characters that are completely unlikeable, then you have a problem.
Seriously, it could have been decent without the title characters. I stand by that statement.

It's still better than Johnny Test though.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

The Steak Justice posted:

When you've got two lead characters that are completely unlikeable, then you have a problem.
Seriously, it could have been decent without the title characters. I stand by that statement.

God, yes. I really wanted to like this one, but the two main characters are physical representations of nails on a chalkboard.

While we're on the subject of Nickelodeon, has anyone seen The Troop? It's a live-action show about a group of teens in a secret international society who are dedicated to fighting monsters. There are some serious shades of Men In Black, the writing is clever, and the cgi monster effects aren't too shabby considering what has to be a small budget. I was kind of surprised by it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Episode posted:

While we're on the subject of Nickelodeon, has anyone seen The Troop? It's a live-action show about a group of teens in a secret international society who are dedicated to fighting monsters. There are some serious shades of Men In Black, the writing is clever, and the cgi monster effects aren't too shabby considering what has to be a small budget. I was kind of surprised by it.

There have been far too many shows playing this angle and they've all been lovely

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Sockser posted:

There have been far too many shows playing this angle and they've all been lovely

I really liked Juniper Lee, from what I saw of it. It was really cute, and the VisDev was neat.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sockser posted:

Judd Winick... okay, which one of them is HIV positive?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 4, 2010

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

404GoonNotFound posted:

Judd Winick... okay, which one of them is HIV positive?

The pug, obviously.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Toonzone posted the cast and detailes of new GI joe series.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Strange Matter posted:

Was that Goat the junk yard owner? Because he's also cameoed in Metalocalypse.
Yes, he was. Megas was such a great show.

I've got a voice actor related question, and I don't know if this this the right thread for it.
In Ren and Stimpy, who was the voice actor that played the announcer/button tempter in Space Madness/salve salesman/House of Next Tuesday Guide? The credits and IMDB don't really specify (I hate that! :argh: ).
Does anybody know the answer?

VVVV Killer! Thanks!

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 7, 2010

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Fnoigy posted:

Yes, he was. Megas was such a great show.

I've got a voice actor related question, and I don't know if this this the right thread for it.
In Ren and Stimpy, who was the voice actor that played the announcer/button tempter in Space Madness/salve salesman/House of Next Tuesday Guide? The credits and IMDB don't really specify (I hate that! :argh: ).
Does anybody know the answer?

Probably Billy West.

Edit: Definitely Billy.

Chibs fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 7, 2010

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Any Canucks on here who have a consensus on whether Teletoon has any good original cartoons left now that 6teen is finished?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aces High posted:

Any Canucks on here who have a consensus on whether Teletoon has any good original cartoons left now that 6teen is finished?

That's from Canada?

Please take it back and never let it leave your borders again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

That's from Canada?

Please take it back and never let it leave your borders again.
Bringing lovely pop culture down to the U.S. has always been Canada's strong point. See: Celine Dion and Nickelback.

Does that mean that Total Drama Island is also Canadian, since they also made 6teen? I still don't know whether TDI was a spoof of reality TV shows, a subtle way to get kids into reality TV, or both.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Bringing lovely pop culture down to the U.S. has always been Canada's strong point. See: Celine Dion and Nickelback.

Does that mean that Total Drama Island is also Canadian, since they also made 6teen? I still don't know whether TDI was a spoof of reality TV shows, a subtle way to get kids into reality TV, or both.
Total Drama Island, and all of its horrifying spawn, are indeed from Canada.

drat it, Canada, you used to export funny things like Leslie Nielsen and the late, lamented Phil Hartman. What happened?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

drat it, Canada, you used to export funny things like Leslie Nielsen and the late, lamented Phil Hartman. What happened?

We gave you guys The Raccoons but I'll bet no one watches that anymore.

And yes, Stoked, 6teen, and all Total Drama Whatever are from Fresh TV (which I guess is Canadian) and are all probably supposed to be seen as kid versions of... surfer type shows? 6teen is sometimes pitched as a kid's version of Friends which probably doesn't help it and I think the Total Drama series are supposed to be spoofs of the Survivor series but FOR KIDS you see. Maybe Canada should just go back to being responsible for the animation and voice actor supply of cartoons so we don't have anymore :tinfoil: rants like that one posted here from CN (dear god that was painful to read)

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

We gave you guys The Raccoons but I'll bet no one watches that anymore.
Granted, you did give the U.S one of the greatest end credits theme songs ever known to man, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWn_i2YiBYg&feature=related, but my argument still stands.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aces High posted:

And yes, Stoked, 6teen, and all Total Drama Whatever are from Fresh TV (which I guess is Canadian) and are all probably supposed to be seen as kid versions of... surfer type shows? 6teen is sometimes pitched as a kid's version of Friends which probably doesn't help it and I think the Total Drama series are supposed to be spoofs of the Survivor series but FOR KIDS you see. Maybe Canada should just go back to being responsible for the animation and voice actor supply of cartoons so we don't have anymore :tinfoil: rants like that one posted here from CN (dear god that was painful to read)

Ok that's weird since I actually like Total Drama Survivor and Total Drama Survivor But This Time It's Movies.

Stoked (assuming this is the lovely show about surfers that looks like 6-teen) and 6-teen were completely irredeemable garbage though. Those were the same studio? Stick to comedy for gently caress's sake you idiots. You suck poo poo at drama. And cartoons should never be drama anyway.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 8, 2010

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

Stoked (assuming this is the lovely show about surfers that looks like 6-teen) and 6-teen were completely irredeemable garbage though. Those were the same studio? Stick to comedy for gently caress's sake you idiots. You suck poo poo at drama. And cartoons should never be drama anyway.

Wait wait wait... those shows were dramas? Were we watching the same shows? If they were dramatic at all it was more drama for the kids so I don't think that counts as real drama.

I will admit Stoked is an aquired taste (and since it's the only thing on when I get home in the evening before the big boys cartoons come on, it's all I've got) but 6teen can be good if you're in the right mindset... or you have a shittonne of friends who act almost identically to everyone in that show (do I need to get out more or something? Or do I just need some better criterion for cartoons now?)

Also, Canada gave the world Babar when it was finally turned into a cartoon, and the good version of The Adventures of Tintin but post 2000? Yeah I got nothing

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I really enjoy the musical numbers in Flapjack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdQcvXhDDQ&feature=related

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYtYFmeYWPk&feature=related

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 14, 2010

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Oops, double post

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Episode posted:

That was a weird show. It was surprisingly risque, and it had a Napoleon Dynamite character complete with catchphrases, as well as a Deb character with the same hairdo.

No idea that was canadian.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Dr Snofeld posted:

My favourite P&F moment so far

Haha, holy poo poo. I need to check this out.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I remember really liking Lizzie Mcguire when it was on air. Its probably the best 'live action tween show' Disney has done.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Sockser posted:

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.

I just remembered that there was another episode that had an evil alien named Mitch, presumably for no other reason to set up an Aliens joke. Said episode also had Lorenzo Lamas as the voice of an alien who could say only "meap."

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Muppetjedi posted:

I remember really liking Lizzie Mcguire when it was on air. Its probably the best 'live action tween show' Disney has done.

I reluctantly admit that this show wasn't as annoyingly intolerable as many would admit.
I wouldn't call it the best. Technically, Even Stevens earns that title in my opinion, with Canadian import Life with Derek coming in at a close second (assuming that counts as a true Disney show).

Sockser posted:

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.
My brain doesn't want to work right now. What episode is this?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Episode posted:

My brain doesn't want to work right now. What episode is this?

"The Lake Nose Monster"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

iastudent posted:

Recently I've realized how much I miss ensemble shows like Kablam. Not everything on that show was gold mind you, but occasionally you'd be surprised by something decent.
I only recently figured out that Stinky Diver's name was a :regd10: reference.

(RIP Ronnie) :smith:

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I remember code name kids next door did a direct scene for scene parody of the matrix anime.

edit: alot of cartoons have made jokes about Citizen Kane. Pinky and brain did a parody of "the third man" and animaniacs and freekazoid had a few "space 2001" and "Apocalypse Now" gags.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The Hub, the new cable network which will replace Discovery Kids and is a joint venture between Discovery and Hasbro, has announced their preliminary lineup. Not surprisingly, most of the shows are based on Hasbro properties.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

mobo85 posted:

The Hub, the new cable network which will replace Discovery Kids and is a joint venture between Discovery and Hasbro, has announced their preliminary lineup. Not surprisingly, most of the shows are based on Hasbro properties.

Motherfucking Fraggle Rock :neckbeard:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's basically the only thing I saw too.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Aw...I wish my cable provider had the Hasbro Network. :(

thelaughingman posted:

edit: alot of cartoons have made jokes about Citizen Kane. Pinky and brain did a parody of "the third man" and animaniacs and freekazoid had a few "space 2001" and "Apocalypse Now" gags.

As far as Orson Welles stuff, Pinky and The Brain went one step further than that with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXEC8kcbqc

...which is a brilliant parody of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE&feature=related

I remember being really bored with the 'Third Man' episode when I was a kid. It kind of bums me out, because The Third Man has become one of my favorite movies since then and it makes me want to see that old episode of P&TB again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oh, there was an episode of Tiny Toons which was a parody of Citizen Kane.

Montana Max says "Acme" and Buster tries to figure it out

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Sockser posted:

Oh, there was an episode of Tiny Toons which was a parody of Citizen Kane.

Montana Max says "Acme" and Buster tries to figure it out

Tiny Toons also featured a great take on Sunset Boulevard with Elmyra as the washed up actress and Montana Max(?) as William Holden's ill-fated protagonist.

I love how those old Spielberg produced cartoons like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, etc. introduced old Hollywood films to newer generations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Disney XD showed Pinky and the Brain for about three months and I want it back.

Edit: Anybody else notice the clever use of a cliche in Phineas and Ferb with the Little Mary MacGuffin doll?

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Disney XD showed Pinky and the Brain for about three months and I want it back.

Edit: Anybody else notice the clever use of a cliche in Phineas and Ferb with the Little Mary MacGuffin doll?

P&F writers love film-based references and humor. 'The Chronicles of Meap', for example, is loaded with sci-fi movie humor.

One of my favorites is in the episode where Candace uses a flying car to save her brothers. At one point during the flight, there's a music cue that's inspired, to say the least, by the musical score from Back To The Future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Episode posted:

One of my favorites is in the episode where Candace uses a flying car to save her brothers.

I believe you mean "The Flying Car of the Future- Today!"