Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I've only watched one episode of Kiff and it was fine but they really went for it with this mega theme song takeover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM86A2SsiRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely this. The setting doesn't just use "chi" as a generic term for spiritual energy, it does the whole pressure point and energy flow through body meridians thing. Apart from chi blockers and that bit in the finale, it shows up in the practice dummy with the Northern Water Tribe healing in season 1 of the original series.

I mean, yeah, it feeds real-world pseudoscience but it's always been in the setting.

It's pretty much like witchcraft and magic in plenty of other stuff being like real-life mysticism, superstition and woo. The whole point is that it draws from existing stuff, and some people believe it. At least it's got some consistent worldbuilding with it.

Kinda funny when they incorporate realistic elements, like when redirecting lightning, it's super important not to let it pass through the heart, as that'll kill you dead. Man, Bitter Work might be my favourite episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was announced as being gone, Redwall got some updates.

It’s kind of a pity that Bone seems to be cursed never to have an adaption of some kind (every attempt so far has died before it could even get off the ground).

I think the closest we ever got was a PC adventure game back in the 90’s that had voice acting but only made it as far as the Great Cow Race

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ccs posted:

The only other thing I noticed in my rewatch that irked me is acupuncture in season 3 functioning as magical therapy. There's just something weird to me about a pseudoscience being depicted as so incredibly effective. Because in the fantasy world where the rules about how humans work is different, it actually can be! But I felt it was playing into some odd ideas the creators might actually have. I dunno, I had the same reaction to Frozen 2 when it used that concept of 'water having a memory' in its plot. An easy way to get viewers to buy into a story point because that fictional idea is already floating around and promoted by grifters.

This reminds me of how every man my age and slightly older thinks that you can’t read in dreams because of that one episode of Batman the Animated Series where the Mad Hatter puts Batman in that vr thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

This reminds me of how every man my age and slightly older thinks that you can’t read in dreams because of that one episode of Batman the Animated Series where the Mad Hatter puts Batman in that vr thing.

That's not true? TV... lied to me? :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You can't read, but you can have dream knowledge of what a text says.

For instance, you might look at a street sign and know it says "Waterfall Lane" but you won't be reading the letters and forming it into a word.

In the same way you might find yourself in a store in a dream and know "Oh, this is the store my friend from primary school's dad owns which is also a Subway restaurant inside the Pentagon and has magic crystals inside a cave at the back."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can't read, but you can have dream knowledge of what a text says.

For instance, you might look at a street sign and know it says "Waterfall Lane" but you won't be reading the letters and forming it into a word.

In the same way you might find yourself in a store in a dream and know "Oh, this is the store my friend from primary school's dad owns which is also a Subway restaurant inside the Pentagon and has magic crystals inside a cave at the back."
People have very different levels of ability to visualize images. Are you sure that nobody can actually accurately visualize text in their dreams?

I have pretty poor ability to visualize stuff in general but I think even I have occasionally definitely accurately visualized text in my dreams.

For example, I'm pretty sure I've had a dream where in the dream where I saw a Japanese word and I couldn't remember the reading of it but I had visualized it well enough that when I woke up I did know the reading of the actual word I had been imagining in my dream.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 3, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My dream guide told me he could only tell me things I already knew, but after a mild beating he started to spill the beans

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny when they incorporate realistic elements, like when redirecting lightning, it's super important not to let it pass through the heart, as that'll kill you dead. Man, Bitter Work might be my favourite episode.

Oh yeah, that's an all timer episode.

Guh, why can't Korra season 2 be better. It's so almost great. Love Varrick, love the look of the Wan episodes, the bits that seem so Spirited Away, some funny stuff with the propaganda films, Unalaq's design is cool, Jinorra's growing importance in the plot and her spiritual side. So many good elements, why doesn't it hold together....

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ve gotta admit, buying the TTRPG corebook and supplements is leaving me mighty tempted to binge Aang and Korra again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Oh yeah, that's an all timer episode.

Guh, why can't Korra season 2 be better. It's so almost great. Love Varrick, love the look of the Wan episodes, the bits that seem so Spirited Away, some funny stuff with the propaganda films, Unalaq's design is cool, Jinorra's growing importance in the plot and her spiritual side. So many good elements, why doesn't it hold together....

I like the look of the Wan episodes, but I think it's the point that kind of reason I always fear more Avatar content: it demysticizes/kind of overexplains stuff. Like I don't want to know how the Avatar is actually a light spirit who hung out with a dude because he hosed up and separated her from the dark spirit. Also it reduces the concept of yin and yang (which I think it's pretty obvious Raava and Vaatu are supposed to be) into a strict good/evil dichotomy which is not how those things work. I think that, for me, is the crucial thing that makes all the cooler parts fall apart and give season 2 the bad rep it has (and highly contributes to Korra herself having an awful rep)

Very pretty episodes though...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TwoPair posted:

Also it reduces the concept of yin and yang (which I think it's pretty obvious Raava and Vaatu are supposed to be) into a strict good/evil dichotomy which is not how those things work. I think that, for me, is the crucial thing that makes all the cooler parts fall apart and give season 2 the bad rep it has (and highly contributes to Korra herself having an awful rep)

Very pretty episodes though...

Which was legitimately weird for the show to do because so much of the Avatar's stated mission is bring 'balance' to the world.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There was definitely a point during the Wan episodes where I was convinced there would be a reveal that the Avatar is actually hosting both Raava and Vaatu, based mainly on smashing their names together and shuffling the letters. Either that, or reintegrating them would end up being the resolution to the plot of the season.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Wait a second, how come Stevonnie is older than Steven and Connie, but Steg is kind of an average of Steven and Greg's ages?

Otoh, Greg is kind of an eternal 20s in his soul.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Fusions represent the relationship itself rather than an averaging out of the two people involved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's also a running theme of how Steven's fusions seem to represent his view of the person he's fusing with. Connie he sees as impressively mature, graceful and relatively normal, Greg as a cool rock star, Amethyst as a fun-loving goofy big sister, and so on. A big theme with fusions in general is that they are very allegorical, representing all kinds of things depending on context.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Fusions are literary metaphors that can also punch people in the face.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also people can't help but get weird about them because a few of them are romantic relationships (maybe, like, 3), so they misrepresent so many of them as implicitly sexual.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also people can't help but get weird about them because a few of them are romantic relationships (maybe, like, 3), so they misrepresent so many of them as implicitly sexual.

Well, and there's that joke with Pearl covering Steven's eyes the first time we see Garnet and Amethyst fuse, which is funny in the moment but not great for establishing the more casual tone they take with the implications of fusion after that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's also partially because society thinks romantic relationships are always sexual when you can have romantic asexual relationships. Steven and Connie are in the beginnings of a romantic relationship, but they are 10 and 12, they are NOT loving.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The funniest thing is backporting the Fusion=Sex interpretation to Dragonball.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

mycot posted:

Well everyone knows that if you only pierce one ear it's gay, and Goku and Vegeta each have one earring soooo.....

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It's also partially because society thinks romantic relationships are always sexual when you can have romantic asexual relationships. Steven and Connie are in the beginnings of a romantic relationship, but they are 10 and 12, they are NOT loving.

13 and 12; remember that Steven is a weird little arrested development gremlin at the start who still looks 8-something, and nobody's noticed because all his caretakers are borderline negligent about basic human development.

Edit: He suddenly jumps to having proportions way more fitting his actual age in Future, but because SU animation throughout the series is so wildly inconsistent that they never could have made visible aging work in the first place, I don't know if that's supposed to mean his physical aging started up again after "Steven's Birthday" and he caught up to his actual age, or if he had a weird growth spurt offscreen as part of dealing with Diamond Authority stuff and it stuck that time.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 6, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Roadie posted:

13 and 12; remember that Steven is a weird little arrested development gremlin at the start who still looks 8-something, and nobody's noticed because all his caretakers are borderline negligent about basic human development.

Edit: He suddenly jumps to having proportions way more fitting his actual age in Future, but because SU animation throughout the series is so wildly inconsistent that they never could have made visible aging work in the first place, I don't know if that's supposed to mean his physical aging started up again after "Steven's Birthday" and he caught up to his actual age, or if he had a weird growth spurt offscreen as part of dealing with Diamond Authority stuff and it stuck that time.

It establishes that he looks as old as he feels. That's why when he hits 16 it starts matching up, because he's not being babied anymore so he just feels how old he is and his body responds by aging at the normal rate, at least that's how I understood it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mycot posted:

is this in actual DB and not DBZA?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I refuse to believe that the writers intended Steven to be 14 from the start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

It establishes that he looks as old as he feels. That's why when he hits 16 it starts matching up, because he's not being babied anymore so he just feels how old he is and his body responds by aging at the normal rate, at least that's how I understood it.

Yeah, he literally has a whole episode where he gains the ability to change his age, and it goes out of control and is played for horror. It's also pretty consistent with Gems, who don't really have childhoods and are 'born' acting like adults, but have a measure of control over their appearance that usually reflects their self-perception.

Funky Valentine posted:

It's not that hard. He's got some arrested physical and mental development, sure, but he's a small town home schooled kid raised by fairly immature caregivers himself (including his actual dad) and that also gives him the flexibility to be more like a child or a teenager depending on the episode- whether he's relating to kids, teenagers or adults, or aliens who are neither and all of them at once- especially since the whole show is about him growing up. And on the other hand, his relationship with Connie has those overtones of Connie getting to actually be a kid that her overbearing parents hadn't really let her be, while Steven admires her relative maturity and actually learns a thing or two about it.

People get weird over Steven Universe especially by taking things wildly out of context and extremely literally. It very quickly gets to the point of people clearly inventing a show in their heads to get mad about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People get weird over Steven Universe especially by taking things wildly out of context and extremely literally. It very quickly gets to the point of people clearly inventing a show in their heads to get mad about.

I think this is generally true of most animation, probably because a lot of animation fans -- particularly for kids cartoons -- are fairly young.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New Bluey episode! The ending was interesting. So the Heelers are moving? I'm sure it's not far enough away to lose the supporting cast, but looking back at the episode as the kids working through the emotional impact of moving makes me want to rewatch it. The upcoming half hour episode "The Sign" is probably going to be more about it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

LifeLynx posted:

New Bluey episode! The ending was interesting. So the Heelers are moving?

Sure seems like it...

https://twitter.com/Daley_Pearson/status/1777213658290098263

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

New Bluey episode! The ending was interesting. So the Heelers are moving? I'm sure it's not far enough away to lose the supporting cast, but looking back at the episode as the kids working through the emotional impact of moving makes me want to rewatch it. The upcoming half hour episode "The Sign" is probably going to be more about it.

"The Sign" is also supposed to be about Frisky and Rad's wedding as well. People are freaking out that this means the Bluey show is ending because the main characters are moving and "shows end when main characters move".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

"The Sign" is also supposed to be about Frisky and Rad's wedding as well. People are freaking out that this means the Bluey show is ending because the main characters are moving and "shows end when main characters move".

Reddit is full of things you should take with a grain of salt, but I saw someone post something from the show's creators. They are struggling to work on season 4 because of the expectations and desire to create something perfect. I don't think it's the end, but I'll bet it's going to feel like a series finale just in case they never get the inspiration to break the hiatus. Regardless, moving is a big event to a kid. I don't think this is the type of show to pull a last minute "actually, too many memories in this ol' house, we can't sell it!" but if they do, they'll do it right.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I've been trying to learn Japanese and one of the things I do is watch shows for small children in that language but without subtitles and try understand as much as I can. Bluey is by far the best show for this because in addition to using simple, grounded, repetitive language it's also VERY good at visual storytelling which help you pick up on context clues. It's been a surprisingly useful resource.

Anyways, the point is that this stupid show has made me cry multiple times despite only being able to follow like 1/4th of the dialogue.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Funky Valentine posted:

He looked that old in the pilot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can't believe they would write this entire plotline just to escape the stigma of the cuckchair.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the next bluey episode Bluey's dad sees on the news that scientists have detected fluctuations in solar activity indicating a supernova within weeks

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In the next bluey episode Bluey's dad sees on the news that scientists have detected fluctuations in solar activity indicating a supernova within weeks
Going for the Dinosaurs ending

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

mystes posted:

sounds more like a Krypton ending to me

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

"I'm the Bingo, gotta love me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
There's 150 episodes of Bluey, they've covered a tremendous amount of ground, and the kid VOs are always getting older.

I would be ending it if I were them but I'm also a lazybones.