Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I saw The Adventures of Pete and Pete for the first time about a year ago and even as an adult that show really is brilliant. I've really never seen anything like it, just the weird reality and sense of hyperbole about everything and the way it takes those little troubles of childhood (not being able to talk to your dad or getting a song stuck in your head) and twists it into these epic, convoluted adventures. You really owe it to yourself to track it down no matter your age.

I think this show really deserves to be remembered and praised more. It's a genuinely quirky, genuinely brilliant live action show with a really curiously indies vibe that hasn't been approached by live action kids TV since, in my opinion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Rita and Runt used to be my favorite segment but I haven't seen it in years, if it hasn't aged well then that's truly a shame. Having seen bits and pieces of the show recently though I'd like to believe that more of it held up than what you said as what I saw was still pretty good.

edit: Oh wait, never mind, that was Slappy the Squirrel.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 22, 2010

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I know that Animaniacs gets a lot of praise, and I loved it as a kid, but as an adult the show just makes me uncomfortable. It has this sort of proto-internet sense of humor
Funny you should say that, since it was one of the first shows, if not the first show, to make fun of internet nerds. I saw the bit on YouTube and it was eerie how little such people have changed.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Megas XLR I loved the pilot and was so glad they picked it up, but after a few episodes I got bored because they didn't really go anywhere with it. You can only make nerd references and "lol fat guy" jokes, get beat up for 5 minutes in the giant robot, then have Coop do a "OK, YOU X, Y, and Z, NOW I'M PISSED!" and press a big red button and level Jersey so many times before it gets old.
That's certainly true of the first season, but the second season branched out a lot more. The best thing Megas did was parodying a bunch of anime and japanese tropes, like the sailor senshi team and the S-Force parodying Power Rangers and Voltron and best of all a freaking Captain Harlock parody. When you look at it that way, it's hilarious because these icons of Japanese television culture get routinely beaten down by a fat and mostly stupid American in a robot equivalent of a muscle ca

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Y-Hat posted:

Funny you should say that, since it was one of the first shows, if not the first show, to make fun of internet nerds. I saw the bit on YouTube and it was eerie how little such people have changed.

The best thing about that bit was that most of the nerdy ramblings actually came from a real Internet document dedicated to obscure references in Animaniacs. And yet they still managed to get one wrong, which I think the nerds in question had a field day with (an equation in the Pinky and the Brain intro which is supposed to be BH90210- the numbers are in the wrong order, but in the cartoon the wrong wrong order is stated).

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I know that Animaniacs gets a lot of praise, and I loved it as a kid, but as an adult the show just makes me uncomfortable. It has this sort of proto-internet sense of humor, half the sketches are terrible (Rita & Runt, Buttons & Mindy, and Goodfeathers are all painful), and the fact that the references are all to old musicals and stuff like The Day the Clown Cried is just puzzling. Same with Tiny Toons, only it had worse animation. Freakazoid I actually liked a lot because they refined their humor down to the point where it was actually funny, and Ed Asner as the sidekick was great.

I know that there are a lot of parts to the Animaniacs that are weak, but it's a really clever show. Stuff like Rita & Runt, Buttons & Mindy and The Good Feathers were all targeting different age groups who may not get all the references, but liked a little slap stick. As I'm older, they're now the weaker parts.. though, some of Rita and Runt are more dramatic and did feature good singing.

Really, going back and watching it as an adult, I'm really surprised at how much it taught me. A lot of those words used by Yakko, Wakko and Dot wandered into my vocabulary as a kid, and I never felt like they were going over my head. (During it's original run.) But, hell.. I was 10 at the time. I loved it then, and I loved it now, because it straddled that line of childish and educational. I just get all the references now!

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

So, any thoughts on Panguins of Madagascar?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

thelaughingman posted:

So, any thoughts on Panguins of Madagascar?
Oddly compelling given how terrible the movies were.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Strange Matter posted:

Oddly compelling given how terrible the movies were.

The second one really wasn't so bad. I mean they're no Pixar or How to Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks CAN make a good movie!), but not awful.

The show is cheaply animated, and it really really shows, but the underlying premise is pretty solid in its simplicity and all the episodes I've seen have been well executed and pretty funny. It's not as good as Chowder/Flapjack/P&F or anything though.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

IRQ posted:

The second one really wasn't so bad. I mean they're no Pixar or How to Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks CAN make a good movie!), but not awful.

Yeah, I think the main reason people poo poo on most Dreamworks cartoons is because they're just not as good as Pixar's overall. That said, I've liked most of the stuff I've seen from them to varying degrees. The only one I flat out disliked was Bee Movie. A real waste of Jerry Seinfeld. Still need to see How to Train Your Dragon myself, but it's gonna be hard in my eyes for Dreamworks to top Kung Fu Panda.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
Netflix Instant Watch just kicked your rear end today.

The added all or most (or some) of:

Aaahh!! Real Monsters
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Invader Zim
Rugrats
Spongebob

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shadow The Rat posted:

Aaahh!! Real Monsters
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Invader Zim
Rugrats
Spongebob

I went to check and you're right! They also have Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents, Hey Arnold and Ren and Stimpy, though I don't know if these are new or not.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

hallo spacedog posted:

I went to check and you're right! They also have Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents, Hey Arnold and Ren and Stimpy, though I don't know if these are new or not.

Yeah it's new.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

I'm considering making an Instant watch thread for TVIV, Netflix has been on the ball. Viacom went apeshit today and put up a fuckload of great shows.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shadow The Rat posted:

Yeah it's new.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

I'm considering making an Instant watch thread for TVIV, Netflix has been on the ball. Viacom went apeshit today and put up a fuckload of great shows.
Still no Kenan & Kel though. :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Does The Spectacular Spider-Man count as a current kid's show? Or does it officially being axed by Marvel mean we don't care about it anymore :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shadow The Rat posted:

Aaahh!! Real Monsters
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Invader Zim
Rugrats
Spongebob

Holy gently caress, I would totally sign back up for netflix if I could watch these on my TV.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Rita and Runt used to be my favorite segment but I haven't seen it in years, if it hasn't aged well then that's truly a shame. Having seen bits and pieces of the show recently though I'd like to believe that more of it held up than what you said as what I saw was still pretty good.

edit: Oh wait, never mind, that was Slappy the Squirrel.

See, Slappy and R&R were my two favourites. I love musicals, so Rita & Runt was always fun, but it's not intended to be straight gag shorts, so that might rub some people the wrong way. (And Pinky & The Brain did The Third Man and the Warners did Apocalypse now, so it's not like the only references that went over kids' heads were in those kind of segments.)

I also love Chicken Boo now. It's a one-gag character, but it's done perfectly.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Shadow The Rat posted:

Invader Zim
What's the popular opinion on this show nowadays? It's been long enough since it was canceled that the Hot Topic stigma seems to have abated slightly.

I always liked it not for its LOL RANDOM elements but for its bizarre vision of the universe, especially the Erkins who enslave planets and turn them into giant food courts and mail rooms and who have a heirarchy based on how tall you are. I think a lot of the more original and subversive elements of the show got sidelined by the viewership in favor of jokes about tunafish and mooses.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

IRQ posted:

Holy gently caress, I would totally sign back up for netflix if I could watch these on my TV.

Got a Wii, Xbox, or PS3? Then use the built-in XBox service or the discs for the Wii/PS3 and you too can watch them on your TV of choice.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 23, 2014

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

What's the popular opinion on this show nowadays? It's been long enough since it was canceled that the Hot Topic stigma seems to have abated slightly.

I always liked it not for its LOL RANDOM elements but for its bizarre vision of the universe, especially the Erkins who enslave planets and turn them into giant food courts and mail rooms and who have a heirarchy based on how tall you are. I think a lot of the more original and subversive elements of the show got sidelined by the viewership in favor of jokes about tunafish and mooses.

I thought it was a really funny show all around, despite the Hot Topic-level popularity it got being shoved into my eyes often (I didn't watch it until after it died down). A lot of Vasquez's non-Zim stuff (JTHM, I Feel Sick, etc.) was merely okay. I have the same opinion of him as I do with John Kricfaluski, in that they've got talent but they truly shine when under a leash. That's when they try to push the envelope with what they have and make a stellar product, compared to say, SpikeTV's Ren & Stimpy, which ruined a lot of the dodgy humor the original episodes had.

kefkafloyd posted:

Got a Wii, Xbox, or PS3? Then use the built-in XBox service or the discs for the Wii/PS3 and you too can watch them on your TV of choice.

You have to pay for an XBL sub to use it on the Xbox though. Free of charge on PS3 and Wii.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Does The Spectacular Spider-Man count as a current kid's show? Or does it officially being axed by Marvel mean we don't care about it anymore :(
I care. That show was miles ahead of the horribly animated, poorly written Spider-Man cartoon that I grew up with in the 90's.

Sucks it got canned.

Spectacular Spider-Man, I mean, not the 90's toon that lived far longer than it should have, and then spawned a thankfully short-lived spin-off where Spider-Man goes to an alien planet full of anthropomorphic animals repressed by some authoritarian regime.

gently caress that bullshit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An authoritarian regime run by furries, no less.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Just caught an episode of Adventure Time on on demand, holy poo poo. I'm on board for life.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 23, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

George Takei as an evil, sentient heart (with a tiny little butt for no reason) has ensured I'm pretty much going to watch every episode until it's canceled.
I knew that voice was his.

That show and Freaknik have the best Autotune gags.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Shadow The Rat posted:

I thought it was a really funny show all around, despite the Hot Topic-level popularity it got being shoved into my eyes often (I didn't watch it until after it died down). A lot of Vasquez's non-Zim stuff (JTHM, I Feel Sick, etc.) was merely okay. I have the same opinion of him as I do with John Kricfaluski, in that they've got talent but they truly shine when under a leash. That's when they try to push the envelope with what they have and make a stellar product, compared to say, SpikeTV's Ren & Stimpy, which ruined a lot of the dodgy humor the original episodes had.

I kind of agree with this.. but, I do love Squee! with all of my heart.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

I care. That show was miles ahead of the horribly animated, poorly written Spider-Man cartoon that I grew up with in the 90's.

Sucks it got canned.

Spectacular Spider-Man, I mean, not the 90's toon that lived far longer than it should have, and then spawned a thankfully short-lived spin-off where Spider-Man goes to an alien planet full of anthropomorphic animals repressed by some authoritarian regime.

gently caress that bullshit.

soooo what's your opinion on the MTV one based off the movies? I only liked it because of its bitching intro music, and Neil Patrick Harris made an interesting Peter Parker/Spider-Man

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Aces High posted:

soooo what's your opinion on the MTV one based off the movies? I only liked it because of its bitching intro music, and Neil Patrick Harris made an interesting Peter Parker/Spider-Man

The art style behind it was pretty awful looking, if I recall. I couldn't make it through an episode.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

That was Neil Patrick Harris? I'll be damned.

I didn't catch a lot of the episodes before MTV canned it, but it was pretty unremarkable to me. Although, I do seem to remember the show having good take on Electro, with the villain being made of electricity instead of just controlling it.

PicklePants posted:

The art style behind it was pretty awful looking, if I recall. I couldn't make it through an episode.
Yeah, it was kind of like cel shading over cheap CGI or something. I didn't find it too off-putting at the time, but I would think that it has aged horribly since then.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spectacular Spider-man is absolutely amazing and I thought the third season was in the works.

I loved every episode. It did a great job with everything that all the other series/movies never really played up. The different love interests, being a real person in addition to spider-man, villains doing villainous things instead of over-the-top bullshit etc

also when I get back to school I'm resubscribing to Netflix. That is loving fantastic.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Episode posted:

Yeah, it was kind of like cel shading over cheap CGI or something. I didn't find it too off-putting at the time, but I would think that it has aged horribly since then.

What was even more painful was the animation company for MTV's Spiderman was Mainframe (better known for Reboot and Transformers: Beast Wars). Given that this was one of their last projects before being absorbed into Rainmaker it's a shame it was not better.

As for Marvel properties, does anybody else think that it's a shame Marvel can seem to scrounge the funds necessary to continue "Wolverine and the X-Men"?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Marvel don't know what the hell. If they did they would have pulled for Spectacular when Disney held the axe over it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

Ha ha, you took the words right out of my mouth.

LeviathanGunship posted:

As for Marvel properties, does anybody else think that it's a shame Marvel can seem to scrounge the funds necessary to continue "Wolverine and the X-Men"?

Wait wait... wait. You're telling me that Wolverine and the X-Men is getting renewed, but Spider-Man, one of the most popular comics/cartoons/superheroes gets shafted? Come on Disney, the guy responsible for Gargoyles was doing it, you were sitting on a goldmine right there.

:sigh: sometimes

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Aces High posted:

Wait wait... wait. You're telling me that Wolverine and the X-Men is getting renewed, but Spider-Man, one of the most popular comics/cartoons/superheroes gets shafted? Come on Disney, the guy responsible for Gargoyles was doing it, you were sitting on a goldmine right there.

No, Wolverine and the X-men are cancled as well.

Wikipedia posted:

On April 15, 2010, Marvel Animation Age confirmed the recent report that Wolverine and the X-Men will not be returning for a second season. At C2E2, the Marvel animation panel consisting of Joe Quesada, Arune Singh, and Josh Fine stated that the reason for the cancellation is because they were unable to work out the financing for the show with their financing partner

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_and_the_X-Men#Cancellation

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 26, 2010

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

The stupid thing, is that it looks like Spectacular got chucked just so Marvel can produce a new Spider-Man cartoon...

Wikipedia Article posted:

Marvel announced that a new series based on the Ultimate Spider-Man storyline will be aired on Disney XD in Fall 2011. It will chronicle the adventures of a teenage Peter Parker and his attempts at dealing with his new abilities, his parent's legacy, and new supervillains arriving in the city. The series will involve other guest Marvel superheroes. President of Marvel Animation Eric S. Rollman stated, "Ultimate Spider-Man will be a unique journey exploring our favorite web-slinger as he teams up with other fan favorite Marvel Super Heroes in never before seen stories with a new life filled with great challenges, new friends, intense action, and character growth."

Sounds familiar, don't it?

Basically, they're pointlessly rebooting Spectacular Spider-Man, but only after Marvel chased off the top talent from the old show.

On the plus side, Greg Weisman (Gargoyles) is producing the Young Justice series that's going to be on CN, so at that might turn out for the better.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
In short: Disney are fuckers.

Whilst this should be known already, I believe it needs reiterating.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It's a real shame. I really enjoyed the Spectacular Spiderman series. Way more-so than Wolverine and the X-Men.

..I'm conflicted on X-Men: Evolution.. mostly because of Spike, and Highschool. In the later seasons when they started dropping more of the high school stuff, it started getting better. The animation was good, at least, and it had some good character designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

Basically, they're pointlessly rebooting Spectacular Spider-Man, but only after Marvel chased off the top talent from the old show.

Soooo, I've never read a lot of the Ultimate series, but does it follow (kind of) the regular Amazing Spider-Man series? I was actually kind of happy that they were keeping up with Peter's original streak with the ladies instead of just chickening out and setting him up with Mary Jane in Spectacular Spider-Man