Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I wonder who will voice Aku now that Mako passed away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Voltron new season: Big time agree on the Lotor plot. What in the world were the writers doing with him these last two seasons? Is he a competent schemer pulling one over on his parents? Or is he completely clueless? Don't give him a "smile to the cameras" as he walks away if he's not actually playing fourth dimensional chess, it makes no sense. They have him do all the seemingly random and strange things where he's blatantly attacking the empire and acting in "secret" to carry out his hidden plans, but seemingly he was just being really blatant and making dumb choices the whole time?... What?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1459198275328692228?s=20

A continuation? Will it still have the jank animation?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

X-O posted:

Also surprise early appearance of Wan Shi Tong! That was awesome!

I liked the series, still a lot bugged me. Mini-rants about all that follows:

They made Wan Shi Tong seem like a random mook. Him just randomly appearing in a dark forest and them dropping Zhao visiting him in the library, made him less the fun weirdo. Actually most of the spirit world was a bit disappointing, hard to do a budget. Forest at night with the fog machine on leaves a lot to be desired.

The bending looked mostly good, but the logic behind the bending lost a lot in translation. They were having Aang do way too much with air bending. Why learn all the other elements when his air power seemed very OP. Need to put out a fire? Use air. Need to lift huge rocks? Just use air. He also "floated" high into the air way too easily without the glider in his normal form. If he's getting uplift, that's fine. But they were doing that with the grass below him not moving at all. Guru Laghima, is that you?

Katara also going from novice to very skilled in like 3 episodes didn't play that great. I know she gets there, just could have maybe ramped up a little slower. From level 1 to 8 over 8 episodes, not to level 7 by episode 3.

If Azula is going to be a menace, they need to crank her up to an 11. She was playing a menace at like a 6 and it didn't seem menacing at all.

And what is it with the live action versions having problems with Aang "killing" Zhao. He wrecked poo poo on the navy, let him also take out the bad head man too.

The heavy usage of Leaves from the Vine was also just straight cheating. Hopefully it still carries the same impact later. One reason Iroh's moment hits is because it comes together all at once as a sadness volcano.

Cast was good, I thought Katara and Zuko did best out of the young cast. Iroh didn't quite have the gravitas I was hoping for (Mako could crank it to 11 when needed too), but Paul Sun-Hyung Lee still did a good job.

Editing was really rough at points, both for action and continuity. With way too many cuts during most of the fights and action scenes. One Piece managed to handle this pretty smoothly. All the stunt people were clearly talented, you don't need to hack their moves up by constantly cutting because you think it'll be more frenetic and exciting. Any weaknesses in the movements will probably be covered by the elemental usage fx overlay anyway.

As for the pacing. Like Aang never waterbended, right? I assume they're saving that for next season. Seems like the events of Imprisoned, The Fortuneteller, Bato of the Water Tribe and The Deserter weren't mentioned in conversation? I know they did have a few off screen episodes described, and the four I mentioned seemed like they weren't mentioned because they actually had some worthwhile material to potentially use later. So I wonder if they would move them to next season and maybe end season 2 on the Library? Them not naming the seasons after the books, and having Aang learn like zero waterbending this season would free them up to mix things around and possibly do four seasons if this proves popular.

A lot of complaining there but overall it was good, I think they cut and moved content around in the right places. Series could have used some more quiet downtime moments that didn't have "PLOT PUSH, GO GO GO" weighing on them. So it falls between Cowboy Bebop (4 out of 10) and One Piece (8 out of 10) for me, probably more towards One Piece thankfully. So 6.5 out of 10.

Teek fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2024

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I’m pretty sure chi blockers are hitting the pressure points that are used in acupuncture, so not really new thing in universe.