Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I knew a few "concerned kids" growing up, and I honestly never understood them. Are they just trying to suck up to adults? Are they hope that they'll be promoted to full adult-hood if the sucking up is successful? Are they afraid of being subjected to X thing themselves? I can understand nosy adults wanting to "protect the children," but why would a child feel obligated to protect their peers from, well, anything at all?
I don't know the answer to this, but it reminds me of that Tiny Toons episode where this uptight woman goes around censoring their show, and Plucky Duck joins her cause.

That was also an awesome show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Really? Mr. Bigot? How do they cram that character into a kids' cartoon?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It was said earlier in the thread that the guys who make Kid vs. Kat are trying too hard to channel Tex Avery and, in the process, forgot to make the characters likable. I think it stands in stark contrast to Phineas and Ferb, where you don't expect to like some characters but end up finding something to like about all of them.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The plot is that a rapping blue viking is desperately trying to invent a frame story to make Korean stuffed animals hip and relevant to our post-modern, ironic youth so that he can bang Mother Earth.
My thoughts were pretty much along the lines of Vaerai Archon, which made me want to watch it, but when you put it that way... I'm sold on it even more.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crow T Bard posted:

According to Variety the upcomming guest stars on Phineas and Ferb will include: Tina Fey, Micheal J. Fox, Micheal Douglas, Jane Lynch, Joan Cusack, Jamie Oliver, and Anna Paquin. All I can say is :hellyeah:.
Has Phineas and Ferb ever been big on guest voices? The only one that comes to mind for me was Seth MacFarlane during the sci-fi convention episode.

Also that was one of the best moments in the show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

readingatwork posted:

I've actually been digging the newer cartoons more than their older stuff all things considered. Still, it will be nice to see if Pete and Pete hold up after all these years.
I'm sort of getting this feeling too. After rewatching some episodes of Rocko's Modern Life, I realize that, in spite of it still being enjoyable, it shows its age. It has more in common with cartoons that came before it than cartoons today.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

All four seasons of Doug are now available on iTunes. Just an FYI.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've heard nothing about this new Looney Tunes remake, so after seeing that picture of the characters in the show, it made me think: why is Lola Bunny in there? I thought that she was something that Warner Brothers wanted to forget.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh God, I completely didn't notice the girl Daffy in that picture until I checked it again :suicide:

I hope that she's a female version of Daffy. You can never have enough Daffy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

On the subject of older cartoons: if you've been aching for Rocko's Modern Life to come to DVD (I know I have), all you have to do is wait two more months for Season 1 to drop. I guess you could skip it if you have Netflix, since all four seasons are available for streaming, but if you want to send a message to Nickelodeon to release the rest of them, buy the DVDs.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AKA Driver posted:

If it's just a DVD pressing of the episodes available on Netflix streaming, I'd say no. There's some quirky cuts on those episodes.
I don't remember what got cut from "Leap Frogs," but I can say that the Netflix version of "Road Rash" does have the cut scene at the motel, so who knows.

Macrame_God posted:

Bummer. :(

More than fifteen years later I'm still amazed with all the things they got away with on that show. The phone sex gag from "Canned" is still my favorite.

"Rocko?"
"Mrs. Bighead?"
:stare: :stare:
My new favorite moment of the series is in "Junk Junkies" where they make fun of L. Ron Hubbard.

Rocko: How are we going to make $500?
Heffer: We could start a club like that Diuretics guy!

Edit: I don't think we should do Pony talk in this thread guys...

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 2, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah I'm doubleposting, but I feel that this deserves its own post.

I PM'd Aatrek, and he said that we are, in fact, allowed to talk about MLP in this thread- as long as it doesn't get creepy. I hope that this doesn't derail the thread into pony domination.

In the mean time, chew on the AV Club's review of My Little Pony. It's a positive review (the author gave it a B+), so beware- it might just get a hipster following now.

Edit: From the comment section.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 2, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, but don't let the word get out to them :ssh:

Sockser posted:

Aw man, this is just going to turn into a pony thread now
I'm sure that Aatrek or angerbot will intervene if things get out of hand.

Edit: I'll try to move the thread along from ponychat. Has anyone seen the Phineas and Ferb (there's a thread somewhere dedicated to the show but it's pretty much dead) episode "Nerds of a Feather?" I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best episodes of kids' programming I've seen. If you consider yourself a nerd, do yourself a favor and watch it on Netflix (it's in Season 2).

Season 3 of the show is currently going on, and Netflix is adding the episodes as it goes along.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 2, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've heard that the new Looney Tunes show is more like Tiny Toons humor than original Looney Tunes humor. Is that an accurate description? If so, I'll probably have to catch an episode.

I know that the chatter about Rocko's Modern Life is from a page back, but one thing I noticed from the Netflix episodes is that all of the ones that involve Chokey Chicken keep the original name intact. IIRC, on its TV run they changed the name to Chewy Chicken in Season 2, but I watched a Season 3 episode yesterday where it was still called Chokey Chicken. For me, that puts any fears about keeping the original censorship intact on the DVD versions to rest. But who knows.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I hate Johnny Test so much. Every single thing about it is bad. Zero redeeming qualities at all. And it's on ALL THE TIME. It seems like every time I leave CN on for longer than an hour Johnny Test is loving on.
And there are going to be new episodes of it in a couple of weeks too :sigh:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nostalgia aside, wasn't the original Ninja Turtles cartoon pretty unfaithful to the original source material?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crosspost from the Adult Swim thread, but I've bolded the kids' shows instead of the AS shows.

livingfruitvirus posted:

Emmy contenders for this year.

Animated LONG FORM:

American Dad! - "There Will Be Bad Blood"
Archer - "Placebo Effect"
Batman: The Brave And The Bold - "The Battle Of The Superheroes!"
Ben 10: Ultimate Alien - "Moonstruck"
Bob's Burgers - "Sheesh! Cab, Bob?"
The Boondocks - "Mr. Medicinal"
The Cleveland Show - "Murray Christmas"
Community - "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas"
Dan Vs. - "Technology"
Disney Phineas And Ferb - "Summer Belongs To You"
Firebreather
Futurama - "The Late Philip J. Fry"
Generator Rex - "Operation: Wingman"
Kung Fu Panda Holiday
The Looney Tunes Show - "Monster Talent/A Zipline in the Sand"
Neighbors From Hell - "Screw The EPA"
The Ricky Gervais Show - "Future"
Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode III
Scared Shrekless
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated - "The Legend Of Alice May"
The Simpsons - "Angry Dad - The Movie"
South Park - "Crack Baby Athletic Association"
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - "Wookiee Hunt"
Sym-Bionic Titan - "Lessons In Love"
Ugly Americans - "Kill, Mark...Kill"
The Venture Bros. - "Operation: P.R.O.M."
Young Justice - "Infiltrator"

Animated SHORT FORM:

Adventure Time - "It Came From the Nightosphere"
Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 - "Intervention"
Disney's Fish Hooks - "Bea Stays in the Picture"
Disney's Prep & Landing: Operation Secret Santa
MAD - "The Buzz Identity/Two And A Half-Man"
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack - "Candy Colleague"

Mary Shelley's Frankenhole - "Humanitas"
Mater's Tall Tales - "Heavy Metal Mater"
Mongo Wrestling Alliance - "Behold the Mongo Wrestling Alliance"
Regular Show - "Mordecai and the Rigbys"
Robot Chicken - "Robot Chicken's DP Christmas Special"
Showtime Short Stories - "Wisdom Teeth"
Spongebob Squarepants - "That Sinking Feeling"
Squidbillies - "America: Why I Love Her"
30 Rock Presents Jack Donaghy, Executive Superhero - "Soft Served!"

Special Class: Short Form Live-Action

Backwash
Bon Jovi - What's Next 3D
Childrens Hospital
Community: Dean Pelton’s Office Hours Webseries
The Confession
Cougar Town, Andy's Dreams
The Daily Show Correspondents Explain
Disney's Prom: Corey And Lucas For The Win
Grey's Anatomy: Seattle Grace Message of Hope
Held Up
Jailbait
The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers
A Letter From Home
Makeover Mission: Homeless Edition
Matumbo Goldberg
Nurse Jeffrey Appisodes
The Office: The 3rd Floor Webseries
The Office: The Girl Next Door Webseries
Super Bowl XLV Halftime Show
30 Rock: The Webisodes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Remember everybody, the Teen Nick '90s block started yesterday. Show your support if you've got the channel.

Are they going to change what they show every week?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey Arnold! came out near the end of my Nickelodeon watching time, so I didn't watch many episodes of it. After watching a couple of episodes on Netflix Instant, though, I've found out that it's really great. My favorite Nicktoon growing up was Rocko's Modern Life, and even though they're two very different shows, I have to say that Hey Arnold! is better. It captures the soul of living in a city well, and I can't get enough of the jazzy soundtrack.

Helga is extremely creepy, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I personally don't care for Disney Channel/Disney XD live action shows and the child/teenage stars that come from them, but I gotta ask: has Brenda Song done anything for Disney lately?

Because something tells me this is the end of the line for her Disney career.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

It looks like The Hub got the rights to all the seasons of Batman:TAS and will begin airing them in September. Also all the season premieres for the Hub's original programming shall also be airing in the month of September as well.
This is excellent news!

As for the '90s Are All That block, Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold! are going to be replacing Clarissa Explains It All and Doug starting September 5th. They were the two leading vote-getters on the recent '90s Are All That Facebook poll, so be sure to "Like" that page and make your voice heard for the next poll.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 24, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As I posted before, Aatrek says it's OK to talk about MLP in this thread, but I wouldn't get carried away with it or else this thread could suffer the consequences.

Vaerai Archon posted:

A rather strange development but a certain specific show about miniture candy colored horses actually got a reformatting. It's now a full blown adventure show like the pilot. They actually added a villan and everything, the reasoning was that the larger than expected audiance caught them off guard so they're going to make the next season appeal to a more diverse demographic.

It sounds like they're going to try and make it in the same vein as Bone or one of Don Bluth's movies.
Anybody else think that this might backfire? One of the excuses that I've heard from the fanbase whose name for themselves I refuse to post about why they watch the show is that it isn't just a stupid action show for kids and that it teaches them valuable lessons in friendship and blah blah blah. I'm sure many of them will still watch, but if there's significant backlash then they'll regret doing this.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is Cartoon Network just throwing a whole bunch of cartoons out to see what sticks? Because this Squirrel show and Almost Naked Animals are really bad. Like, Camp Lazlo or My Gym Partner's a Monkey bad.
I haven't seen this Squirrel show and only snippets of Almost Naked Animals, but they don't look good. You can tell that they're Canadian cartoon trash because they look obviously animated in Flash. Just take solace in the fact that they're only shown in the afternoon instead of taking up the couple of hours before Adult Swim reserved for stuff like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and (ugh) Johnny Test.

Also Camp Lazlo isn't bad at all. I think it's created by Joe Murray, the creator of Rocko's Modern Life. I can recognize a couple of voices that were in Rocko that are also in Camp Lazlo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

I watched a couple episodes of Rocko on Netflix a month or two back, and boy has that show not aged well.
I think that this is only applicable to a few episodes, like the one where Rocko goes job hunting (he uses the newspaper's classifieds section, something nobody does these days) and the one where he looks for a girlfriend. And as JethroMcB said, these are mostly clustered in the first season. I suggest you watch the Season 3 finale, since it contains two very different episodes (one of them is Zanzibar, the musical episode; the other one, where Rocko gets a food processor, has no spoken dialogue at all). If nothing else, the show is the last of a breed of Looney Tunes-esque cartoons, and that alone makes it great in my mind.

Plus, the episode where Rocko holds a garage sale has a jab at L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology (Heffer says that they should "start a club like that Diuretics guy"). You can't say that about many other kids' shows.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In any case, tonight we have an hour each of Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold! on the '90s block. Toon in!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:aaaaa: Stick Stickley is coming back October 8th!

I had this shirt made for me when I was a kid and I'm wearing it right now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah he didn't do that good of a job with the smile.

Edit: Watching the show now, it seems like whenever Rocko isn't turned sideways, his mouth is behind his nose. Weird.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 6, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Steak Justice posted:

the reason new Spongebob is so bad is because they don't tell jokes anymore. Wacky poo poo happens all the time but there's no comedy anymore.
That really reminds me of this New York Times article about the rise of the "jokeless comedy." It talks about movies, but it's applicable to Spongebob as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/magazine/the-hangover-and-the-age-of-the-jokeless-comedy.html?_r=1

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

I think Robotomy didn't even last a full season and had two unproduced episodes.
That's a drat shame, considering that it was created by the same guy who created Superjail! and featured the voice of Patton Oswalt.

Remember: Stick Stickley makes his return to TV in two weeks (October 7th) on the '90s Are All That block on Teen Nick to host your favorite '90s shows, so get your votes in at http://www.90sareallthat.com and make your voice heard!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Clarissa and Doug are back in the 1:00-2:00 am spot on the '90s block.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Why does this go on for nearly 40 seconds? Why can't Family Guy let a joke be quick, why do they have to have the joke go on and on and on? Whyyy WHYYYYYY
Because to some (very stupid) people, the funny part is the awkwardness that comes out of dragging the joke on forever. I wish I were kidding.

mobo85 posted:

Disney Channel's latest live-action sitcom has a name and description that sounds like a parody of Disney Channel sitcoms. AND YET DOG WITH A BLOG IS REAL.
The title sounds like something created from a create-a-Diablo Cody line generator.

By the way, remember that link about Brenda Song being pregnant by Miley Cyrus' freakish-looking half brother? False alarm, apparently- she's not pregnant after all. :shobon:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The fans voted in Legends of the Hidden Temple this week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought that they were going to show two hours of Legends of the Hidden Temple since that's what my program guide said. For those of you who missed it: they showed Hidden Temple first, then the first episode of Angry Beavers, then an episode of Salute Your Shorts, then an episode of Rugrats.

A good night overall. Legends of the Hidden Temple even had a kid who did online gaming over dialup :3:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm very hesitant to watch MLP. I'd say the fanbase that shall remain nameless is about on the same level as Sonic fans, but Sonic fans have even less of an excuse to like their franchise since it's been bad for so long.

Perhaps I'll watch it the next time I smoke up. That's how I discovered Avatar: The Last Airbender (along with good word-of-mouth).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are You Afraid of the Dark? is coming to the '90s Are All That next week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gumball is OK, but it's definitely not on the level of Chowder or Flapjack. It's a charming show, but there's not much substance beyond that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:siren: IMPORTANT '90S ARE ALL THAT ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

Cry Baby Lane, the infamous made-for-TV movie, is on tonight. It's almost over now (at least in the Eastern time zone), but it will be back on at 2:00 EST. Unfortunately, the forums will probably be under maintenance at that time, so there won't be a running thread about it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The plot is that two brothers play a prank on three girls in a graveyard and awaken the spirit of of an evil Siamese twin boy. Then the spirit spreads to the people of the town and the younger brother has to release the spirit of the good twin to save everybody. Jim Gaffigan is in it, but he's in it for two minutes and has something like three lines.

It's not a very well-acted movie, and some of the characters are poorly made, but I'll give it one thing: it's pretty drat creepy. It spooked me out and I'm 24- imagine somebody half my age seeing it. As Stick Stickley said before the movie started, it was aired only once because parents said it was too scary. Personally, I don't blame them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tonight's U Pick With Stick lineup:

12:00AM EST - The Secret World of Alex Mack
12:30AM EST - The Wild Thornberrys
1:00AM EST - Salute Your Shorts
1:30AM EST - Hey Arnold!

Didn't Jessica Alba play a mean girl on Alex Mack?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Salute Your Shorts doesn't belong on that list for the theme song alone.

Yoshifan823 posted:

You know, watching that old episode of All That has really reminded me just how good Kenan and Kel (and Loribeth Denburg, but she's long gone, careerwise) were even when they were younger. Also, I am still a child when it comes to my sense of humor, because Vital Information for Your Every Day Life made me laugh hysterically.
These days, I'm not much of a fan of Vital Information, and even less of a fan of Pierre Escargot. It's too bad, I liked them as a kid. "Cooking With Randy and Mandy" still gets me, though- in fact, it's gotten even better with age, since some celebrity chefs aren't really that far removed from their antics. Replace their chocolate gimmick with a "fry everything" gimmick and voila, you've got Paula Deen.

Speaking of live-action shows with kid stars, I'd love to see a "where are they now?" segment on The '90s Are All That with actors from such shows. You'd be surprised what child and teen stars do after they leave the spotlight- the kid who played the main character in Searching For Bobby Fischer became a congressional staffer.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 14, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mobo85 posted:

Another interesting one: Nickelodeon asks Nielsen to explain why their ratings have been going down over the past few months. Is it some sort of Nielsen glitch as they claim or do they refuse to believe Disney's gaining on them? Only time will tell.
Maybe their ratings would be better if they didn't show poo poo like the sequel to the Fred movie, which they did on Halloween.

Aside from iCarly and the never-going-to-die Spongebob and Fairly OddParents, I can't name any show currently running on that network. I only watch one show on Disney Channel (Phineas and Ferb) but that's one more than I watch on Nickelodeon. At this point in time, Cartoon Network is probably the king of the children's entertainment ring.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mobo85 posted:

Clearly, Norm is Cartoon Network. For every good decision he makes, we can tell he's a robot because he makes an incredibly stupid one. "SIR, HOW ABOUT LIVE-ACTION? NO. OKAY. MAYBE AN ANNOYING ORANGE SERIES?"
I said that Cartoon Network is the best kid's channel on cable, but stuff like this makes me realize that they're in that position in spite of themselves.

Tonight's U-Pick lineup on The '90s Are All That:

12:00AM EST - All That
12:30AM EST - Doug
1:00AM EST - Doug
1:30AM EST - All That

The Facebook page has a poll asking which show that you'd like to see in a Thanksgiving marathon, and so far Rugrats is leading. Stay tuned.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 18, 2011