Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God bless internet meme makers, they've done more to make Spongebob funny and relevant than the people who have worked and written for the actual show over the past 15 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's not just Nickelodeon, every Viacom channel has no idea what they're doing. It wasn't long ago that Comedy Central was their sole worthwhile channel, but their new output this year has been pretty bad. The dysfunction goes to the very top with all the boardroom drama.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weren't there rumblings last year that Nickelodeon wanted to revive old Nicktoons properties and give them new series?

Dangerous Person posted:

Boardroom drama? Do tell
Long story short, Sumner Redstone has had a tenuous grip on Viacom and CBS over the past couple years because he's 94 years old and in failing health, and various forces have been jockeying to succeed him. For now, he still has control of it, mainly through his daughter.

Here's a good summary from the NY Times about the drama and the cast of characters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I stopped watching Nickelodeon in 1997/1998, and I never moved on to another "kids' network" after that. So I missed out on the Cartoon Network stuff of the late '90s. Luckily, I got into it when it was getting big again with Adventure Time and Regular Show. I'm sure those shows will be looked back upon nostalgically by kids today in the same way people my age look at stuff like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CRINDY posted:

PFT needs to play an rear end in a top hat rival to the main character in every animated show. He's been pure fire in Bojack and I remember his Adventure Time and Regular Show episodes stood out. "Pfft... actors."
He was also great in the Equestranauts episode of Bob's Burgers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/22/rockos-modern-life-reboot-title-original-cast/?sf87693195=1

Looks like the Rocko's Modern Life TV movie will be in 2018 with all of the old cast and Joe Murray directing.

Then we'll still be getting Hey Arnold this fall and Zim too.
People reflexively pooh-pooh anything that's remade, but considering that all the voice actors and Joe Murray are coming back, I am down as hell for this. It was my favorite Nicktoon as a kid, although I stopped watching Nickelodeon around the time that Hey Arnold started its first season, so that never got a chance to take the spot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Somewhere along the way, the network that started out rerunning 30-year old Hanna-Barbera cartoons decided that they would never reair a show once it's ended or been cancelled.
It must have been recently, because they were playing episodes of Chowder and Flapjack for a little bit after both shows finished their runs. As it stands now, Cartoon Network hasn't aired a single episode of Regular Show since it ended in January.

It's startling how quickly the well went dry for Cartoon Network, when it was the place for fresh new faces in animation to get their start with completely new shows not long ago. Adventure Time and Regular Show got the ball rolling, and stuff like Steven Universe, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, We Bare Bears, and others followed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

The CN CEO looks at the schedule for the week pushed live through his binoculars, hundreds of kilotons of TTG pouring out of it onto the television, "We are all now sons of batman" he mutters.
The Cartoon Network director is a woman, proving that horrible executive decisions aren't the sole purview of men.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

So starting September 1, it seems like CN is going to have new episodes of four shows every Friday. OK KO, TTG, Gumball, and Bears.
Wow, a new episode schedule that makes sense!

I heard that new Bears is happening every weekday next week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend showed me a TTG clip that's a good reference to My Cousin Vinnie, that should count for something. It shouldn't count for filling up much of Cartoon Network's programming that isn't dedicated to new episodes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

The acting was completely flat on its face in the persuit of the psa aspects though.
To say nothing of the end where Static outright preaches the message the episode is trying to impart.

Do they do "very special episodes" on kids' TV anymore? I haven't heard of any recently, but I've been out of the game for a while.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Those two men kissed, too. Cheeks but we knew what was up.
It was gonna be lips but Cartoon Network vetoed it. Still far more progressive than the landscape not too long ago.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Argue posted:

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake the next episode is on September 23?
Disney XD's scheduling for new shows makes Cartoon Network look sane.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else notice on Rocko that they went back to the original name for the chicken restaurant? It was originally Chokey Chicken but someone finally got the joke and they changed it to Chewy Chicken in later episodes.
Yeah, that was a nice touch. Heffer does count "bottles of root beer" in the special instead of "bottles of beer" in the original episode.

I saw the Rocko special a few days ago and I gotta say, the more I think about it, the more I think it was really phoned in. It leaned way too much on meta humor, there were too many "hey remember this" callbacks with no other jokes or spins added to them, and it was a retelling of the Season 2 two-parter that introduced us to The Fatheads. If this weren't a series with a previous track record of being great, I'd also write off Rachel Bighead as something that's there to give the likes of AV Club and Buzzfeed red meat so that they can crow about its "importance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ariza posted:

Rocko's Modern Life recap:

Made it about a minute or two in until guy's big weird nipples shoot out and twist around then had to turn it off. Will try again another day.
He's Really Really Big Man and those are his Nipples of the Future.

I'd say it gets better, but after the "hey here's how the world is 20 years later" part it's kind of forgettable.