Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

Johnny Test seems stupid to me for some reason.
Probably because it is poorly written with generic, interchangeable characters?

I don't have a tv with me currently but about a year ago my computer fell apart so I had to go back to the television (and cartoons) to get my entertainment. Chowder and Flapjack are just as good as all the old school CN shows that used to be on but man do they have some bad stuff on too that airs in between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You know, there actually have been okay shows in that Bakugan timeslot in the past. In particular there is one that I have forgotten the name of (Sillytown or Sunnyville or something) that was a sendup of GMA type programming. It had extremely basic designs and looked to be made for children but for some reason it was actually a charming little show and I can't help but wonder what happened to it. I mean there's no way it pulled in good ratings since they were airing it at six in the morning but you never know...

edit: Oh thats it, The Mr. Man Show.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 3, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Rita and Runt used to be my favorite segment but I haven't seen it in years, if it hasn't aged well then that's truly a shame. Having seen bits and pieces of the show recently though I'd like to believe that more of it held up than what you said as what I saw was still pretty good.

edit: Oh wait, never mind, that was Slappy the Squirrel.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 22, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Looking at those character designs the only two I dislike are Sylvester (who has too much of a fatass) and Petunia, but then she never really had an agreed upon and iconic look anyway so if you have to change someone...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

Sorry to bash Johnny Test like a pinata, but goddamn, is the animation for that show awful or what? Too many sharp corners for my liking and it looks trashy as well. It makes the animation for Phineas and Ferb (which also has characters with a lot of sharp corners) look like a masterpiece.

To be honest the character designs are the only thing halfway decent about that show (and, I suppose, the bland but not terrible voice acting,) they remind me of Cartoon Network/WB stuff from ten or so years ago.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 23, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Amorphous Blob posted:

Hey you know how the Garfield show is so lovely great? Well it looks like more of the same is on it's way!

Thats odd, I thought I'd seen relatively well done 2-d character models for that show. I certainly hope that we don't have the CGI craze spread from movies to 30 minute cartoons.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 23, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Those character designs are basically inspired by really old school anime/manga. They have a real Tezuka/Ishinomori(Cyborg 009/Kamen Rider) look.

Also the teacher looks to be hilariously similar to one of my college professors, so I'm all for it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kipory posted:

I also wanna find a way to check out Megas XLR thanks to this thread. I can't help but admit a running gag of destroying Jersey City really carries a lot of weight in my mind.

Well I'll just warn you now, the dialogue gets to be very bad and repetitive after a few episodes.

edit: And I just watched that Titan preview and it looks fine, much better than a lot of the cgi that pops up in cartoons these days. To be honest I'm more worried about the dialogue. Samurai Jack had some woefully bad episodes dialogue-wise and this looks to be similarly atmospheric.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 27, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Episode posted:

The whole 'Flapjack got canceled' rumor has been floating around since Chowder got canned. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

That's mostly Disney and, to a certain degree Nick.

Nick doesn't do much in the way of animation anymore, but shows like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents have gone on for years and, in the case of the former, are still truckin' along.

Not really, Cartoon Network was much more into the 52 and done rule than Nick was for awhile almost no shows got past that fourth season without at least some form of major change being added.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm a bit worried by Daffy's voice to be honest but some of physical stuff they were showing in the Looney Tunes Show looked great.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aww really, I actually thought Stroker and Hoop got to be really good toward the end.

IRQ posted:

The animation is not great and I won't defend the art style because at first glance it's crap. Thing is, if you watched Clone High, which you should, the style is clearly one that that animation studio was headed for. Joan of Ark is pretty much entirely reused verbatim as Gwen.
Just because they made it crap (I'm undecided on whether it is, personally) on purpose doesn't excuse its crapness. Its like Klasky-Csupo, I'll continue to call their house style ugly til the day I die.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also one of the girls from Charlie Chan and the Chan Clan appears on a volleyball team during the crab episode and previous villains are mentioned in the premiere. As to pushing boundaries... it makes the villains actually menacing (as in try to kill the kids) to an extent that has never been done before. I'd imagine little kids might find it pretty scary at times.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LeosBoots posted:

I'm loving Adventure Time, and even the weaker episodes are a bit rewatchable. I can't get enough of Finn's autotune singing.

It's hard for me to like the new Scooby Doo, especially since I was never that big a fan in the original. I don't really like Velma's development. The jokes seem cute so far but I don't know how long they can keep it up without getting old. At least Venture Brothers had an overall plot to keep things fresh.

Hmm, the new Scooby series seems to be developing a plot much quicklier than Venture Brothers did. I'm actually very happy with how that part of the series has been turning out.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Allia posted:

What was the show they remade in 2000? The one where there are three players (blue, red, purple) and it was all physical. At the end there was this huge mountain you had to climb up and then you got to keep a piece of the "special" rock at the top?

GUTS! (and Global Guts!)

Also the Aggrocraig was not merely "special," it was an aggressive rock.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Had to be at least two seasons since they changed some of the rooms around. That show was really popular though, I don't see why they would cancel it. Hell I even saw a LotHT parade float at homecoming this year.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Digital Scumbag posted:

Can anyone recommend X-Men Evolution or Wolverine and the X-Men?

Evolution is an okay series if a bit samey but is "saved" in a lot of people's opinions by its nice character designs and the fact that it never gets groan inducing. Nice final season too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The writing might not be the best but it doesn't just have the characters repeating two or three phrases at an extremely slow pace for fifteen minutes and is thus nowhere near as bad as many of its Adult Swim original counterparts.

edit: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 11, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
In cartoons? Since 2004 I'd guess. Kids networks almost never reair their old stuff it seems.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't Ego Trip only an hour or so long? Either way the movie as it was was an ill fit for theaters, its good that it went directly to television.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've seen the PS first episode. Well, its not something I would watch but it was nowhere near as bad as half of the similar crap that Adult Swim airs. I get the feeling that kids will find its art style unappealing and it will get quick cancellation. Though I could be wrong, of course.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It made me laugh once during the episode and had fast paced dialogue. That instantly makes it better than Perfect Hair Forever, and 12 Oz. Mouse.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just want to point out that the CN who "is taking risks" canceled Megas XLR. Nothing shall ever make me not frown at them. Nothing. Not even if they restarted it. I'd still frown at them for cancelling it in the first place.

Megas' second season was an embarrassment. Its scripts were just mindless catchphrases like some terrible 19080s remnant. Thats not why it was canceled though, of course. It was canceled for ratings too low to justify the show's costs.

Anyways, its a shame about Symbionic Titan but who didn't see this coming (if not this season then at least next season) the show just didn't find an audience and was preforming worst in its time-slot against a bunch of shows that cost less than it to make.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ice Blue posted:

I read that it was doing well in terms of ratings just wasn't marketable enough for merchandise/toys.

CN was just saying that to be nice. It was last in Big 3 ratings for its hour despite costing more than the other four shows.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its odd that the article says first feature length film, as Mickey has been in several. Granted none of them were memorable, which speaks to the problem of current Mickey not being all that great a character. To be honest, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts I can't think of any recent/ongoing projects that make use of Mickey in an unusual way either (and no Epic Mickey doesn't count, they managed to make that quite bland and inoffensive.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because Looney Tunes has a built in audience just because its Looney Tunes. It certainly wouldn't be getting this much pre-airing discussion if it was a totally new IP.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Good lord, she looks like she has video game character neck muscles under her eyes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Are you talking about Squirrel Boy? That was super old and got cancelled quickly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Seriously, I hate Deathstroke in comics, but I loved Teen Titans' Slade. I'm also glad they just used Slade, as "Deathstroke" always struck me as a little over the top in villain names. Especially when use the whole line of "Deathstroke the Terminator" it sounds especially silly.

They could have just went with "the Terminator," which is what the comics referred to him as for the first few years. But then again that sounds silly too and has become engrained in the public consciousness as another character entirely.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Kim had long hair and her outfit was sort of atheletic, as a cartoon any clothing is going to be a bit generic.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If they had just said a tattoo on their butts I doubt Clinton would have picked it. But when you give it that name... And I guess cutie marks are sort of iconic at this point.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh come on, that isn't terrible. I mean its certainly not good or anything, but I've seen a lot worse from Mad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ninja Gamer posted:

So was there simply not enough interest for somebody to bring the Young justice Thread? Does anybody still watch the show?

There is a superhero animation thread in BSS where it gets a reasonable amount of discussion. Its allowed in this thread too but doesn't come up often due to the show's problems.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tartarus Sauce posted:

My Gym Partner is a Monkey

Stop right there. Those other shows might have lovely jokes and bad animation but nothing could be worse than the sheer unlikeability of that loving monkey (or, really, any other character in that show.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Farecoal posted:

Goddamn Totally Spies and goddamn Martin Mystery were always on Nicktoons when I was younger, filling up precious time that could be used to show Rocko or Hey Arnold.

You're childhood must have only been a year or two ago, as TS spent most of that decade on WB affiliated channels.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I recall it making GBS threads up afternoons on Cartoon Network back in the early to mid 2000s.

Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner, which is what I meant to say but hosed up on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wasn't born early enough to see The Real Ghostbusters, but this show was on at around when I was beginning to really watch TV. I only remember one episode though, where the ghost-of-the-day was using some sort of innocuous tablets as portals to suck people into another dimension.

Scared the goddamn poo poo out of me.

Something similar happened to me with Real Ghostbusters. For some reason I think it had a product placement Dairy Queen in it too, scared me away from DQ for years.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Farecoal posted:

Well, my childhood was around 5 or 6 years ago, but I swear it was on Nicktoons all the time. Are we thinking of the same channel? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicktoons_(TV_channel)
They always showed the old stuff that I loved a lot more than the crap on the main Nick channel.

Well Wikipedia says that it aired on Nickelodeon sometime but it spent the majority of its time on CN, and started on ABC Family (still Fox Family at that time?) of all places.

Speaking of which, does ABC Family still exist? Hard to imagine Disney spent so much money on that PoS.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Magnus Condomus posted:

That's what honestly kept me watching. It started getting good, but then it got lost again, no pun intended. Like, nothing really ever came of it. And the fact that I can't remember the conclusion should probably tell you something. It has ended though. So no idea about a 3d conversion.
Apparently a live action version (with the Xana stuff still being CGI) is in the works, or was at least being discussed earlier this year.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So they discovered a previously lost Oswald cartoon. Can barely wait the decade or so its going to take for them to get around to restoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Out of curiosity, is the Redskins' guardian really a stereotypical Native American? How was that handled?