Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wakfu is very good, as far as I could tell the two episodes (poorly) dubbed were done by Ankama in hopes of getting an English language distributor, alas, none has appeared. You should just suck it up and watch the show with subtitles if you want to ever see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ruel's VA was pretty good but Nox and Grovy's were godawful (think California surfer for Grovy and extremely wimpy for Nox) and having watched the first ep in English for the first time a few days ago I remember thinking Hugo's was crap too. The girls seemed fine though and Rubilax was also okay.

edit: And don't expect the MMO to take off. From what I've heard it a very poorly balanced grind-fest with old style Runescape-like top-down graphics. Everyone I've spoken to who played it says that the only reason to do so is if you really like the TV show and comics and just have to visit places from them.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 15, 2011

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Please, Y-Hat, stop posting 90s are all that lineups. We have tv guides and stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
With a license plate like that he'll be a Virginian for life.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You are probably thinking of the Herc series, as I am pretty sure Hunchback never got one.

Hell, they even went back and gave a lot of the classics their own cartoons. Now Peter Pan and 101 Dalmations might not have been good cartoons but they were there.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought they switched teams after the first eight or so episodes? Because those first few were baaaaad but after that it got good and never stopped.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I always assumed that one of their higher ups managed to piss off the director of programming at Nick. It was the only thing I could think of to explain why their terrible shows were all finally cancelled at around the same time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sockser posted:

Have they finished airing season 1 of Young Justice yet?

Nope! Come back in a year or two!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Good Listener posted:

I've always thought the advent of Cartoon Network kinda killed them in the first place tbh. Good for them for trying but I place a decent amount of blame on CN for the demise of the Saturday AM cartoon.

Why would you even want Saturday morning cartoons when you could have cartoons on at a decent hour with cable? Satam is dead, hooray.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Wakfu season 2 just ended and it's unsure if or when the next season will happen.
So now both seasons are available subtitled online, and since it's probably, like, never going to come here, I'd say that watching them's alright.

I want basically to endorse it here.

That was a very disappointing episode due to Yugo getting extremely annoying when he gets self-righteous. I liked the non-Yugo/Qilby parts quite a bit though. As a villain Quilby was poorly handled, particularly giving him an unnecessary, ugly battle mode. I found that they did way to much to hint at Nox having a sad backstory (towards the end it came up nearly every episode) but they over-corrected with Qilby, painting him in an almost devlish manner.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey Eureka's Castle was pretty good. Though I admit I was in its target demographic at the time. At least it had some semblance of plot compared to the things that went after it. Or at least I think it did.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh boy, another Gundam series to do miserably in ratings and be pulled halfway through its run.

I suspect it will be a bunch of "light action" western shows that CN seems to make now. Thundercats, repeats of that week's Young Justice, some Generator Rex or Ben 10 show and maybe FMA, Bleach, or One Piece. Of course that is assuming it is a one day a week thing, so the Shonens would take forever to get anywhere. What I'd love though is for them to get the rights to Wakfu and air that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I still think it's amazing that an anime was popular enough in the US that CN actually helped produce a second season in the first place. It's a shame that the ratings just didn't come like they did for S1 (at least, that's what I assume happened).

Hell, at the time anime did so well that CN actually green lit a few (two or three) shows from scratch. One of them was absolutely godawful but IGPX was pretty good, if a bit slow. And if they ever get super desperate for programing they could reair it as they will never lose the rights.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
When first introduced in the comic the Yu-Gi-Oh game was just a very generic, rule-less (but pretty obviously inspired by Magic) card game for Yugi to play. The rules only came later on when the card game aspect became the most popular part of the book.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, just the script, the funding, the concept, the original voice acting and the flavor (which is based off of classical China.) Other than that its totally the same as anime.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I would expect its the past four years (4 seasons of 24 episodes) but don't have Netflix so can't confirm.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just saw and enjoyed the first three eps of Aquabats. Good show, I can't see myself eagerly counting down to it or anything but if it had came out when I was ten years old I could see myself getting a ton of enjoyment out of it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Brak's dad has the exact same problems that Space Ghost does. A lot of mouth movements, human body, etc. Switching him in would solve precisely nothing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For the same reason that all those other internet properties have got tv shows. Because its easy to look at a youtube view count and think "wow people watch this stuff." I assume, like all those other internet properties, that it will be pulled within a month and, if its lucky, will burn through the last half of its episodes in a Sunday morning death slot.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Gak left a horrible green stain in one of my family's old cars!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think it was ever aired in the US, but then I don't actually watch Cartoon Network anymore so who knows.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SilentChaz posted:

Mystery Incorporated is the best version of Scooby-Doo! Warner Bros. has done in a long time. I'm really grateful it was never picked up on by bronies or similar groups. Even if that means we only get these two seasons. :sigh:

Looking back there probably actually was a good chance that it would have gotten brony-like fans if CN hadn't put the show on hiatus halfway through the first season. Back then Scooby threads were daily on /co/, just like MLP stuff (shows premiered at about the same time,) but they didn't really care too much by the time the second half came out.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle on VHS back in the 90s. Last I checked it was also on Hulu for free.

I feel that there are a bunch of references lying here and there that don't make any sense these days and I never got.

Of course there are, even Boris' name is a reference.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To Boris Godunov. (Boris Badenov, see, get it?)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Aha, I didn't know that person existed, what with my being an uncultured cretin and all. I've learned something today!

A person and a play!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

In another sign of changing times, "Steven Universe" marks the first Cartoon series created by a femme in the cabler's 20-year history.
Wait, I thought Adventure Time (and Juniper Lee and Atomic Betty) was created by a woman?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Not that it even matters, as that is HUB, not Cartoon Network.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Has the new Thundercats been cancelled already?

Yeah. For what its worth it came on on Saturday mornings, right before DC Nation. Anyways, good riddance, I saw a few episodes and it was generic as could be.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, earlier today I saw someone saying the same thing about Kim Possible. I suspect that fanboys from both shows are confusing long hoped for corporate love with a new blanket policy on putting old shows up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, that guy's gay? Neat. It was never mentioned in Being Elmo, that I saw but I guess there was no need for it to be.

edit: Oh, he was closeted until the stuff came out that would explain it. Guess it was a bit of a shock to his wife.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They aren't even going to mention it because Jeph Loeb doesn't care about continuity and won't want to waste time on it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aside from the premise I doubt that every or even many episodes are going to be about gender issue BS (and that those that are are pretty simplistic/generic.) I expect most of them will be generic save the day plots, it is a kids show afterall.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, I read the description too. I formed my opinion after reading it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was reading the Wakfu Wikipedia article yesterday and they said that their current animation plan was a Wakfu movie. No clue if that information is out of date though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

404GoonNotFound posted:

There were fifteen seasons of Super Sentai before Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, yes. Apparently, Saban wanted to bring over Jetman first (pretty much a live-action riff on G-Force/Battle of the Planets, and widely regarded as one of the best seasons ever), but it took too long to work out the rights.

He wanted Bioman first, actually. Never happened because networks weren't hot on the idea of dubbing or subtitling live action. It wasn't til Zyu that Saban gave up and came up with the idea of putting the Saved by the Bellesque high school stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Maybe, but I can't really think of what else they could do that wouldn't be aping the original Looney Tunes run and failing miserably at it.

More Duck Dodgers?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Space Cases I guess. Though that is like twelve years old now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Do children buy season long DVD collections though? I assume that their marketing deparments have done the research and shown that "best ofs" do better, sales wise for the demographics Disney cares about.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 20, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sanguinia posted:

Why would you not just release individual volumes in order? It has the same effect overall. Compilations are just ensuring that there are sales out there you will never make because some kids favorite episodes will never be selected because they're less "popular."

Because, believe it or not, some episodes really are more popular than others, whether among the general public or the show's staff. I'd be willing to bet that Christmas episodes sell better than non-Christmas episodes, for example. If the main audience is children you'd have to remember two things, 1) they are unlikely to remember the titles to individual episodes off the top of their head or to look them up online before going to Target and 2) its going to be their parents (who likely don't themselves watch any given show) who are making the actual purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I can kind of understand, I've always had the feeling that Kenan and Kel is one of those shows in the Goon NostalgiaTM pantheon. I could never really bring myself to enjoy it or All That / many of the classic Nicktoons, really. I guess I was out of the age demo when they all started showing.

What was your opinion on Aaaaaaahh!! Real Monsters? I loved it at the time but I mentioned it to my mother a few weeks ago and she said that the show was really obnoxious ("nothing but screaming".) Your take?