Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
She also shows up in American Dad a few times as various characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hirsh had a lot of involvement in The Owl House behind the scenes, if I recall correctly.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hirsh's burnout during Gravity Falls became an actual office health hazard at one point.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A lot of american TV animation has stuck to the Hanna-Barberra method of production, even into the digital age. It ended up with a lot of our cartoons resembling newspaper comics in layout and character design complexity, as well as a lack of a true z-axis. It makes sense that a lot of people who were used to that model would find anime's more cinematic sensibilities both more freeing and more difficult to pull off effectively.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The DCAU was quite dynamic but in a different way IMO, definitely more from, well, comic books for action sequences rather than the cinematic influences of anime.

My experiences of watching Justice League and such as a kid was me being frustrated with the angularity of the art style and the lack of variety in body shapes which flattened the overall look, which ended up reducing the effect of having a more dynamic camera. If anything it was a continuation of Batman TAS/Beyond's production style into the full digital era, but without the specificity of style/locale/world of B:TAS. Admittedly, it looked better than, say, Danny Phantom which was also trying to be an action show with superflat designs and sitcom-level staging.

The problem with combining all superheroes into one universe, besides some existential problems the genre is just unequipped to deal with, is that you are going to end up with an overall more bland style from having to portray them all on the same terms.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think Gravity Falls can't have too much of an emotional connection with the characters because there's a certain degree of ironic distance that the show has due to its overall sense of humor and worldview. It's kind of like asking Teen Titans GO to be emotionally resonant, although perhaps not as big of leap as that example.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly, Velma also appears to be specifically a case of 'the same show the creator has made at least twice already, but with a licensed character as her mouthpiece rather than herself'. Like hearing the creator is specifically an Indian pickme chud explained so much and why it appeared to be aimed at nobody.

And on the paranoia argument, it doesn't help there's been a few cases of progressive leaning media ending with a rug pull, like Persona 5 notoriously ending with every character discarding all their rebellious lessons and conforming anyway.

Katsura Hashino's general writing preferences are Just Like That and are the thing that undermines his trilogy in Persona.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ccs posted:

Wait what does this mean

The best way to explain it is someone who is trying very, very hard to conform to what they think the social hierarchy values, usually meaning trying to conform if not parrot the beliefs of white men and elitism in general. Think Tom from The Boondocks. Mindy's "chud" part is her revanchist stances on gender and other weird themes that keep showing up in her work.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Covok posted:

It really is amazing how this person continually makes bad decisions. Like, he legit had to walk back a movie cancellation because he almost lost the flagship director of his entire planned reboot of the DC Universe because he couldn't be arsed to check that the film he was going to cancel was the passion project they green lit to get him. And then got a congressman to (admitably, nothing will come of this) point out his abuse of tax credits should result in an IRS investigation. It is an amazing level of terrible CEO. I thought people hated that Far Right Disney CEO who lasted two years, canceled Owl House, and then got ousted for incompetence. But David Zslav is looking to be one of the most hated TV Executives in America.

The CEO you're referring to was also the creator of "The Disney Vault" concept, and also ran the parks into the ground before being put in charge of Disney as Iger's fall guy for the losses that were about the happen.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The tax write off thing only works for productions that haven't been released to my understanding like Batgirl because it's taxed as a complete loss. This doesn't work for released shows because it made some money through its release so it goes on the books normally. Being taken off the service is just being taken off the service. The only financial benefit is ostensibly the extra room made to promote other works and the lack of residuals that need to be paid. Also the possible future licensing profits as part of a bundle to some other streaming service.

The tax write off thing works for shows that were already broadcast, too.
OK KO, Infinity Train, etc.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Not having to pay residuals is a "happy" byproduct of getting the writeoff.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Even during the Nielsen ratings Era, watching a show "legally" had no effect on it unless you happen to be one of the few being measured at any given time.

In the digital sphere it's still as much of a panopticon where anybody could be affecting the ratings of a show by streaming it or not at all and nobody could ever know because all those metrics are kept internally rather than measured by an outside party.

This is before you even GET to the other reasons shows are canceled for "lack of support".

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm not sure the world of Avatar is constructed solidly enough to make a lot of the before and after of the main story make much sense in terms of general human development and sciences, especially when you add superpowers that only some individuals have access to for reasons that are really unclear, despite spirituality supposedly being an aspect but it's also a "you're just born with it or not" thing.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I still think the world gets a bit too screwy when you look at it for too long, and was not designed to outlive its original series' scope.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol until the last three words of that sentence I thought you were talking about the real world

You know what, maybe I am. Maybe I am talking about the scope of the social contract as it has been written up until this point.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It wasn't the same after Nietzsche killed off the main character.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's that or make a show that's for somewhat older audiences and be Bob's Burgers with Dogs

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Bluey is something that's perhaps -overall- a little bit too young for my tastes, but it has plenty of things that adults are able to enjoy and can get genuine laughs out of me. The writing is solid.

It's something I don't seek out, but when friends are watching it, I'll join and have a good time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TeenTitans GO to Australia

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The new art style has some weird lighting that makes it harder to parse what the facial expressions are in quick cuts or actions.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Austrian strongman arnold-type is now a cartoon archetype devoid of context.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The problem is that Butch's style is not what I would call friendly for someone who wants to make dynamic, action-oriented animation that has any kind of weight. The voice direction and pacing was not too much different from Fairly OddParents, yet aiming to be more regardless of its ability to write or present in the style appropriate for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It looks like the animation they have is old warner bros cartoons and flintstones and such.