Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Nice, I had just decided to go looking around to see if there were threads dedicated to either Adventure Time or Phineas and Ferb, and I found both in the same place.

One show I enjoyed last year was Nick's The Mighty B (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_B) I haven't seen it on lately but it doesn't seem to have been actually cancelled, so no idea what's going on there. Also, I actually really liked The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy on CN, though that ended a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rothgil posted:

One of the things I like about Chowder is that in the last few episodes they moved away from Chowder himself, and started focusing on Mung. There's some nice 4th wall breaking (Chowder realizing they're in a cartoon and making the viewer cry, Mung spending all the show's money and forcing the voice actors to get part time jobs to pay the animators).

With each new episode they make Endive even more desperate to land a man. Also larger and more grotesque for some reason. Her obsession with Schnitzel as her pool boy amuses me to no end.

Too bad Cartoon Network axed it!

I didn't realize they'd cancelled it. That makes me quite sad, I rather enjoyed it.

But even though it took me a while to get into Flapjack I think I like it a lot more than Chowder now. Not sure why, exactly, I just think in the long run it's the more appealing of the two shows.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

mobo85 posted:

The only episode of Chowder I've ever seen (something about becoming a comedian which had a number of funny moments, such as going through the different types of comedy, such as topical humor- which they think is about topical ointment- and relationship humor- which they know nothing about) had a great fourth-wall joke in it. Chowder is scribbling with a crayon or something when he accidentially gets some on the "TV screen" and someone wipes it off for him. Chowder points to the Cartoon Network logo in the opposite corner of the screen and asks the other guy why he doesn't get rid of it. He responds to the effect of "That doesn't come off. I've tried."

I think the thing about Chowder that was neat, if not entirely along the lines of what Cartoon Network generally does for their viewers, was how playful it was about format and the 4th wall. They were frequently turning into puppets, meeting their creator to chat, and even once going live to the voice actors for a segment where they had to do something to get the animation back. It was nicely experimental in that way.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Macrame_God posted:

Billy & Mandy was great. In fact, it's where I got my username from! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jq4gYWz_sQ

(Great Snake Lord Shnissugah)

CN used to have a hilarious page at shnissugah.com (archived version) but now it just redirects to their main site.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 20, 2010

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Strange Matter posted:

While Flapjack and Chowder are both great for injecting grown up jokes and references, nothing in the past decade even approaches Billy and Mandy in terms of subversiveness. They did an entire episode that was a flawless parody and tribute to Dune, which is more than I could ever ask from a show.

There was also a great Dune reference in the beauty pageant episode of Billy and Mandy. One of the parts of the contest is a Gom Jabbar test.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

scorpiobean posted:

A few other shows I really liked were Courage the Cowardly Dog and Samurai Jack. Especially Samurai Jack, which I thought was gorgeously done.

Courage, although not really adult in the "nudge nudge wink wink" sexual humor way of some of the other cartoons mentioned, was really really really dark and... actually sort of unrelentingly creepy/disturbing in a lot of ways.

I love it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Flapjack also had the best pun of all times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsmDdpd3wY&feature=related

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

TigerMoJo posted:

Disney... I can't get past Phineas and Ferb's horrible character designs so I'm sorry but I won't even bother.
I felt this way for a little while but it's sort of unfortunate. It's one of the best shows on TV right now.

quote:

I watched an episode of the most retarded cartoon the other day. I think it was on Disney but I'm not 100% and I can't remember what it was called. It was Asian themed and I think had something to do with humans vs. animals. The characters were mostly strange things that didn't look like either. There was this gigantic helmet machine that looked like a Nazi thing. I know this is the worst description ever but if anyone has a clue please let me know.
Hero: 108 on CN? Did it have very strange angular designs and the main character was a painter?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

TigerMoJo posted:

YES! You're both right. Hero: 108 it was.
That show is a loving wreck.

I think that's why it got the morning Bakugan timeslot. They don't even bother trying to show it later in the day.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

PicklePants posted:

Yes they do. It was just on earlier. I don't get it.. it's as bad as Skunk Fu.

That sucks. I just assumed since they've been showing it at 6am lately that that was the only timeslot acceptable for something that bad.

Also don't remind me of Skunk Fu... ugh.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, what's the deal with all these "animals/kids + Chinese martial arts" shows of the last few years.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pleasant Friend posted:

Anyway in my cable package I get a channel called KidsCo, its really terrible, very cheap and poorly made. Fortunately it runs a lot of the old video game cartoons so I don't find it completely worthless, but it also runs cheesy cheep stuff from these guys.
http://www.mondotv.it/MondoTV_EN.htm
This crap is the definitive worst, occasionally it reaches so bad its good levels, but most of the time not even that.

The 'properties' brochure (http://www.mondotv.it/RIGHTS_PORTFOLIO_MONDOTV_2009_2010-ii.pdf) from that website is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

404GoonNotFound posted:

Judd Winick... okay, which one of them is HIV positive?

The pug, obviously.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

404GoonNotFound posted:

Motherfucking Fraggle Rock :neckbeard:

That's basically the only thing I saw too.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I saw The Adventures of Pete and Pete for the first time about a year ago and even as an adult that show really is brilliant. I've really never seen anything like it, just the weird reality and sense of hyperbole about everything and the way it takes those little troubles of childhood (not being able to talk to your dad or getting a song stuck in your head) and twists it into these epic, convoluted adventures. You really owe it to yourself to track it down no matter your age.

I think this show really deserves to be remembered and praised more. It's a genuinely quirky, genuinely brilliant live action show with a really curiously indies vibe that hasn't been approached by live action kids TV since, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shadow The Rat posted:

Netflix Instant Watch just kicked your rear end today.

The added all or most (or some) of:

Aaahh!! Real Monsters
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Invader Zim
Rugrats
Spongebob

I went to check and you're right! They also have Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents, Hey Arnold and Ren and Stimpy, though I don't know if these are new or not.