Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I may be opening up a can of worms here, but a recent thread in GBS gave me the idea to do this. Let's admit it...we all watched kids shows in the past, and we still watch them in the present...well, some of us do, anyway. And in most cases, there's really no reason not to. Some of them are very well-written and quite entertaining at that. This thread is a place to comment on the current crop of shows you like (animated or live-action), remember the good old days (as a lot of people on the Internet often do), and yes, if you must, hypothesize about just exactly when your favorite network went downhill.

But first, a look at the big three kid cablers:

Founded in 1979 as part of an interactive cable initiative called Qubo, Nickelodeon often referred to itself back in the day as "the first network for kids"- and that's because it was. The network faltered at first and didn't really find its groove until Geraldine Laybourne took over as president in 1985, creating the iconography and attitude the network still uses today.

Nickelodeon mainly used foreign imports and game shows- many of which are still fondly remembered by the '80s generation- as its backbone until it took the risky move of deciding to create its own original programming, something that certainly worked out in the long run. In August of 1991, Nickelodeon rolled out its first original Nicktoons- a move that arguably paved the way for the success of animation on cable. Many of the classic Nicktoons- Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Invader Zim- still hold up today and are fondly remembered by fans. And there's a good reason for that: Nickelodeon allowed the creators to be themselves and create unique characters and environments different both from anything else seen before and from each other, just as in the classic age of theatrical animation. Although some of the creators balked under the shackles of working for a network primarily intended for children (most notably Ren & Stimpy creator John Krisfaluci), most of them took the old animators adage "write for yourselves, not for kids" in stride and created shows and characters that appealed to both kids and adults, both for different reasons.

Other than Ren & Stimpy, it can be argued that Nickelodeon never had a truly universal hit until SpongeBob Squarepants made his debut on the scene in 1999. The naive fry cook who "lives in a pineapple under the sea" took America by storm, and is in my opinion (alongside fellow Nick stars The Fairly OddParents) one of the closest things you'll see today to the quirky, slapstick and one-liner-filled classic cartoons of the golden age.

Over on the live-action front, Nickelodeon has had a one-man powerhouse for at least 15 years in Dan Schneider, the former Head of the Class star who has created a legacy most television producers would be jealous of, creating a steady string of hits and grooming bit players from previous projects into leading roles in new ones. Nickelodeon is so sure of Schneider that they recently signed him to a lucrative exclusive development deal. And with a string of hits that includes All That, Kenan & Kel, The Amanda Show, Zoey 101, Drake and Josh, iCarly, and Victorious, you can see why.

Founded in 1992 as an outlet for the large animation library of Turner Entertainment, most of that classic library- including the Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. cartoons- has been exiled to their sister network Boomerang while CN gradually focused more and more on original programming, taking a page from Nickelodeon's playbook and honing original talent from various sources. Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, and others were among the results of that. Recently, Cartoon Network has taken the controversial decision to shy away from their namesake form of entertainment and focus a lot more on live-action programming, but its current crop of quirky cartoons, including Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, and Adventure Time, have garnered a number of fans. I must admit that I actually stopped following Cartoon Network a while ago and thus don't really know much about it as its competitors.

For years the black sheep of the kid-cable landscape, an injection of former Nickelodeon staffers and a one-two punch of surprise hits- Hannah Montana and High School Musical- in 2006 led Disney Channel to become serious competition for its cable rivals and created its own studio system of stars. Taking the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to heart, Disney Channel has made a name for itself with a long line of original movies and corny sitcoms that wouldn't have been out of place on ABC's old TGIF lineup.

But Disney's lifeblood has always been animaton, and where Disney Channel's live-action fare falters in terms of overall quality, its animated outings succeed, continuing the long legacy of Disney made-for-TV animation that started with Ducktales in 1987. Other than Kim Possible, a fun and quirky series about a teen secret agent and her bumbling sidekick, it's taken a while for Disney Channel to find another animated series that stuck with its target audience- Dave the Barbarian, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, American Dragon Jake Long, and others all were entertaining, but didn't last long. However, that seems to have changed with Disney Channel's newest and most popular animated series, Phineas and Ferb, created by Rocko's Modern Life alumnus Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh and, in my opinion, one of the best- if not THE best- animated series currently on television. It took Povenmire and Marsh 15 years to sell the series, and indeed, it would not have been out of place on Nickelodeon's lineup 10 or even 15 years ago. The series is filled with memorable songs, goofy gags, over-the-top premises, and a talented voice cast that mixes well-known names, home-grown Disney talent, and the creators themselves (Povenmire's Dr. Doofenshmirtz, a pathetic mad scientist, practically steals the show). Variety has stated that Disney plans to grow the series into a franchise on the level of High School Musical- if they can do it, all the better.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Shadow The Rat posted:

The Replacements (ABC/Disney) - I'm fairly certain this show spends more time making adult jokes than kid jokes. It's really hilarious, even has continuity gags (after the school got changed to George Stapler elementary it's remained that way since), and is an all around silly show. It's a great way to round off the weekend cartoon block before I cause myself physical pain watching Sonic X and TMNT afterwards.

I definitely should have listed that along the other unsuccessful Disney Channel cartoons that didn't go over. I had forgotten that show had a bit of continuity to it- once Tasumi took over her armor, it stayed that way.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 13, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Every now and then when I watch my little sister I catch a bit of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. Here we have a single camera show shot on location without a laugh track, which in and of itself is pretty interesting. It reminds me a bit of Malcolm in the Middle (although not nearly as original or as subdued), what with the 4th wall breakage as the frame story for the show and the general setting.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about that. That was a pretty fun show for what it was. I would liken it to a live-action cartoon.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Rothgil posted:

One of the things I like about Chowder is that in the last few episodes they moved away from Chowder himself, and started focusing on Mung. There's some nice 4th wall breaking (Chowder realizing they're in a cartoon and making the viewer cry, Mung spending all the show's money and forcing the voice actors to get part time jobs to pay the animators).

The only episode of Chowder I've ever seen (something about becoming a comedian which had a number of funny moments, such as going through the different types of comedy, such as topical humor- which they think is about topical ointment- and relationship humor- which they know nothing about) had a great fourth-wall joke in it. Chowder is scribbling with a crayon or something when he accidentially gets some on the "TV screen" and someone wipes it off for him. Chowder points to the Cartoon Network logo in the opposite corner of the screen and asks the other guy why he doesn't get rid of it. He responds to the effect of "That doesn't come off. I've tried."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Just for fun, here's a look at some of Warner Bros.'s other attempts to revive the Looney Tunes characters, for better or for worse.

In the late '80s-early '90s, Warners featured a number of TV specials, shorts, and a feature (Daffy Duck's Quackbusters) directed by Greg Ford and Terry Lennon. There was obviously a lot of care put into these, even going so far as to use Carl Stalling and Milt Franklyn's original cues from the Golden Age shorts as background music. Probably their best was "Blooper Bunny," a satire of Warners's big "Bugs Bunny's 50th Birthday" celebration of 1990 that was meant to poke fun at the way the characters were depicted as goody-goody friendly-types in merchandising whereas in reality they don't get along with each other. Warners was apparently pissed off at the satire of their big promotion and held this cartoon from release for a number of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSiLBr-mOg

A few years ago, Warners attempted another revival of the characters featuring shorts meant to be shown before features written and directed by a team of writers culled from The Simpsons and Family Guy. These shorts are hit-or-miss- mostly miss- and were actually never released save for some foreign DVDs. This particular example, directed by Dan "Doofenshmirtz" Povenmire, has a few amusing moments (I for one think the closing gag is funny, even if it's out of place), despite the cartoon's general oddness and the horrible Porky Pig voice (apparently the result of the studio wanting to speed up the actor's voice just as Mel Blanc had done despite the fact that the actor is able to imitate Porky Pig spot-on without it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWw56ajKIhk

For those who want to see the rest of these just out of curiousity:
Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner in "The Whizzard of Ow"
Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam in "Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas"
Tweety and Sylvester in "Museum Scream"
Foghorn Leghorn in "Cock-A-Doodle-Duel" (probably the strangest of the bunch)
Daffy Duck in "Duck Dodgers: Attack of the Drones" (Keep an eye out for the Great Gazoo and Dr. Zoidberg, the latter an in-joke, as this was animated by "Futurama"'s Rough Draft)

And sometime in between those two, Warners had plans for a film playing on their "Baby Looney Tunes" merchandising line. This short was the only thing that came out of it, and it's pretty darn good (unlike the godawful "Baby Looney Tunes" series). Stan Freberg, the classic "John and Marsha/Dragonnet" comedian and voice of classic Warner character Pete Puma, is Cage E. Coyote. Look for the photo of Cage E. standing next to Chuck Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvgADFXHajs

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 23, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Although some of them (such as the MAD Magazine show) do sound like they would be a better fit for Adult Swim, these are all officially Cartoon Network shows.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Both Zanzibar and I HAVE NO SON are the best episodes of the series and still hold up well.

Don't forget "Wacky Delly," which works on two levels: a satire of the animation industry, and the bizarre hilariousness of Wacky Delly itself.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Fishylungs posted:

Kind of a Lot of Comics! Everything in that show just had kind of weird names, like Really Really Big Man, who had nipples of the future (and a really really big kitchen).

We would have also accepted "humongous."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.

Nosebud...

On that vein, I was surprised when I saw a subtle "does a bear poo poo in the woods" joke in one episode which also tied in a series catchphrase. The writers obviously have a lot of fun with the writing of both the dialogue and the songs. (the creators did most of the music-related episodes of Rocko's Modern Life, so you know they can write a good song). It also kind of helps that the creators gave themselves two of the funniest roles- I'm sure other voice actors could have done Dr. Doofenshmirtz and Major Monogram just as well, but I doubt they would be as funny if that was the case. And Norm the Robot is the closest thing to walking comic gold. I could talk about this show all day.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The thing that made me love Phineas and Ferb right off the bat was the end of their theme song.

"MOM! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!"

The first time I heard that, I laughed out loud. That line alone is a perfect example of the show's style of humor.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

This whole argument regarding Phineas and Ferb's designs and the reactions given reminds me of this bizarre review of Punch-Out!! for the Wii where the reviewer claims to have been familiar with the Punch-Out!! franchise but then makes all these statements about how the game is nothing like real boxing, which the franchise has pretty much always been. This led to some responses commenting on how ignorant the reviewer was, including one on how disturbing, for example, cartoonish characters such as King Hippo would look if rendered realistically.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I want to see what a disturbingly realistic rending of Phineas and Ferb would look like. And possibly King Hippo.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Yes, well I'm afraid as we explained in the letter, Mr. Scunthorpe, you can't have the name "Lord Bravery" because it's being used by another business- specifically, Lord Bravery's Bake Shop. As it just so happens, I have a database of pre-approved names of companies that aren't around anymore:

-Smoked Meats and Fishes (you could put "Lord" in front of it)
-Southside Medical Plaza
-Bungle's Rubber Toy Zoo
-Mr. Tiny's Midget Pony Ride
-Taste of Tanbura
-Dreamworks...oops, sorry it just got taken. Oops- and again! There'll be a lawsuit there!
-PLASTICS ADVISORY BOARD!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

I now understand the MPAA Rating System thanks to Freakazoid.

Oh, yes, how could I forget that? With Jack Valenti (and his cheeks) voicing himself, no less.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

What episode is that from, I don't remember it.

"Finding Mary McGuffin"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

On the subject of Phineas and Ferb's designs: I thought they were stupid and wrote the show off until it was the only thing I could find on TV. It really is a lot better than the style would let on. An entire episode was a setup for a Citizen Kane joke. The entire episode's plot, for one classy fuckin' joke.

I just remembered that there was another episode that had an evil alien named Mitch, presumably for no other reason to set up an Aliens joke. Said episode also had Lorenzo Lamas as the voice of an alien who could say only "meap."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Episode posted:

My brain doesn't want to work right now. What episode is this?

"The Lake Nose Monster"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The Hub, the new cable network which will replace Discovery Kids and is a joint venture between Discovery and Hasbro, has announced their preliminary lineup. Not surprisingly, most of the shows are based on Hasbro properties.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Episode posted:

One of my favorites is in the episode where Candace uses a flying car to save her brothers.

I believe you mean "The Flying Car of the Future- Today!"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Funny you should say that, since it was one of the first shows, if not the first show, to make fun of internet nerds. I saw the bit on YouTube and it was eerie how little such people have changed.

The best thing about that bit was that most of the nerdy ramblings actually came from a real Internet document dedicated to obscure references in Animaniacs. And yet they still managed to get one wrong, which I think the nerds in question had a field day with (an equation in the Pinky and the Brain intro which is supposed to be BH90210- the numbers are in the wrong order, but in the cartoon the wrong wrong order is stated).

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Shadow The Rat posted:

"As? What's as?"
"It's A.S., it's an O-mage to Jules Verne."

The S.S. Ssssssssss! (I only had an S stencil).

THE HOWLER LEECHES ARE COMING!
SEND MORE MONEY! I'LL SEND MORE STUFF!

And a running gag that really amuses me in the Halloween episode- every time their favorite B-movie actor Oxnard Montalvo is mentioned they pull out a picture of him, except it's a different picture every time, so it starts out with something like "Regards, Oxnard Montalvo" and eventually becomes things like "Please stop writing me, Oxnard Montalvo" and finally "Cease and Desist by order of Hollywood P.D."

Y-Hat posted:

Phineas and Ferb Sell Out?

I'm a little wary of a Fireside Girls spin-off, but it could be good.

The other potential spin-off- the talk show where they interview celebrities- sounds like it could be interesting, as the idea sounds like it could be a lot like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Though to really up the comic potential, they'd have to put Doofenshmirtz and/or Monogram in there somehow- as some of the promotional materials and the "top 10 music video" episode show, they're definitely funny apart, but make an even better team (which I guess isn't suprising, as Povenmire and Marsh have known each other for like 15 years now).

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 24, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Episode posted:

There's also this audio track featuring voice actors Richard Horvitz (Dag) and Nick Bakay (Norb) recreating the last episode for a podcast. Don't know how legit it is though.

Based on the fact that this includes the "rerunincarnated" dialogue bit that writer Micah Wright once had the original recording of on his website, uses being cancelled as a metaphor for death or vice versa (just as was mentioned in a licensed book about the history of Nicktoons), and features a joke in which Daggett takes pleasure in saying "shut up"*, I would imagine the script was the original one- except of course for Rich and Nick calling each other by their real names (and Nick being called "Salem"), which I assume is just the voice actors being goofy during their recreation.

*In the later years of the series, "shut up" was a big taboo. There was one episode where a "shut up" had to be overdubbed with "shush up" but Nick Bakay wasn't available in time to do it for the first airing, so it originally aired with the "shut" being bleeped- which made me think he was saying "gently caress off" since the "up" sounded a little like "off."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Having just watched the first Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc., I'm still a bit on the fence. It reminds me of that Simpsons line where Roger Meyers is asking kids what they want to see on Itchy and Scratchy: "You want a realistic, down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?" You still have Scooby-Doo running around, being a goofball, and dressing in drag while solving mysteries with the kids, but at the same time the kids are looked down upon by their parents because of this nonsense they go through- mainly because the town's tourism is based around all of these fake monsters. It's an interesting idea, but it just doesn't seem to "gel" with the whole goofy, carefree image of Scooby-Doo and the gang. And for some reason there's also a black radio DJ with an afro and a guy named Mr E. who's warning them that there's a deeper mystery behind the mystery or something. And he's voiced by Lewis Black. And Shaggy's dad is voiced by Casey Kasem, which I thought was clever. And Velma and Shaggy like each other but they don't want Fred and Daphne to know.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 13, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Plus, Lewis Black and a voice from the original Scooby Doo? Nice.

Two voices, actually- voice actor extraordinare Frank Welker is still voicing Fred and is also Scooby's voice as he has been for the past few years.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

I'm also surprised about how well the new SD show is. However, I can't help but notice that most of the best jokes revolve around the show poking fun at itself.

I liked the Old West town that mined alligators instead of oil ("This is what happens when a civilization is founded on an entirely gator-based economy!"), even if it sounds more like something out of Adventure Time than Scooby-Doo.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Episode posted:

drat, the movie shorts and the tv shorts are like night and day. I hope they focus more on 2D animation in the show instead of churning out a bunch of cheap looking CG filler.

It's my understanding that only the Road Runner shorts will be CGI and the rest of the series will be traditional animation.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

^I agree with the "this could go either way" sentiment looking at the writing/directing team, all FOP/Nick stalwarts: Butch Hartman, Scott Fellows, "Savage" Steve Holland. (FOP head writer Steve Marmel jumped ship for Disney and Sonny with a Chance.)

Nickelodeon has been announcing a lot of things lately. Besides the FOP TV-movie, they've also announced an Avatar spin-off, The Legend of Korra, and a new series from Fairly creator Butch Hartman, T.U.F.F. Puppy, about a dim-witted dog who is recruited by a secret agency and is teamed with a cat. Naturally, they don't get along, but must work together in order to stop evil.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 24, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Networks (at least ones under the jurisdiction of the FCC, iirc) are legally required to air a certain amount of programming that qualifies as educational. I can only guess that they go out of their way to make it friendly and educational so the FCC doesn't go "Oh hey, this isn't teaching kids anything valuable and wholesome at all! Here's a fine!" Plus they probably have to be all flowery to get an E/I certification in the first place.

Some networks seem to just slap the E/I descriptor on their entire Saturday morning lineup, such as ABC, whose lineup consists solely of reruns of horrible Disney Channel sitcoms and old Power Rangers episodes (at least until the license for the latter reverts back to Saban). I fail to see what, if any, educational value can be found in, say, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, unless it's teaching children how not to write a sitcom, in which case ABC is doing a great public service.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Ha, snap.

But, while they seem to get away with doing that, I don't think they'd ever get away with trying to claim E/I status for Batman: The Animated Series or Animaniacs, even though I found them to be extremely educational on a number of levels, back in the day.

Any lesson about not being a total dickhole, or about learning to say "Look at the pretty narwhal" in conversational Norwegian apparently needs to be spelled out in enormous, flashing neon letters--and without any snark or violence, to boot.

There were a few E/I series that were good in the early days shortly after the FCC made E/I programming mandatory. Histeria! was pretty memorable as far as the line of Silver Age WB cartoons go. And The Weird Al Show was pretty good- although the show itself was fun, the best part of the DVD release are the commentaries where Al and the producers comment on how they were forced to shoehorn in a lesson in each episode and being astonished by what the censors would let them get away with vs. what they wouldn't (they once submitted a parody of a kids show where two puppets commit suicide as a joke submission, and the censors surpisingly okayed it).

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Or, they'll do a Peanuts movie, but it will involve Snoopy and Woodstock moving to the big city and dancing to hip hop on Snoopy's iPaw.

They are actually planning a direct-to-DVD 44-minute Peanuts special revolving around Linus and his blanket and Lucy's attempts to woo Schroeder. It's being adapted from the comics by Craig Schulz and Stephan Pastis of Schulz Creative Associates. Mark Mothersbaugh is doing the music in a Guaraldi-esque style (they're too cheap to pay for the actual Guaraldi songs). The Peanuts franchise has always been looked after very carefully, and I doubt the Schulz estate would allow anyone to "update" it.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The Looney Tunes Show looks like it might be pretty good. The character designs don't really look that bad to me- except for Bugs Bunny's head, which for some reason seems off to me.

As for MAD, most of the clips they showed seemed to be pretty badly-animated (except for the Justin Bieber gag and I think the one with Batman in bed). I'm guessing this one will be judged on whether or not it's funny, which I would assume would be a matter of age, much as it is with the magazine itself (Their stock answer for "When did you stop being funny" is both true and a typical MAD-ism: "When you stopped reading us").

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

All this Chowder chat and nobody's gonna mention yesterday's Phineas & Ferb special?
Complete with the most :psyduck:-inducing moment in the entire series.
Yes, Isabella is swinging a leek around.

As far as random Internet references go, it's no Doofenshmirtz attempting to explain lolcats to Agent P.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 9, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Besides the premieres of MAD and The Regular Show, two other important kid-show happenings:

-Disney Channel will preview a new series Fish Hooks September 3 for a premiere September 24. Among the members of the creative team are Maxwell Atoms (Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) and C.H. Greenblatt (Chowder). Much like Disney's current toon hit Phineas and Ferb, voice cast is a mix of Disney stars and well-known celebs including Rachel Dratch, Jerry Stiller, Edie McClurg, and Richard Simmons.

-As of today, Nicktoons officially has custody of the Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers (the latter under license from new owner Saban Brands). Nicktoons has shown Turtles Forever recently and also released it on DVD- albeit in both cases removing a number of scenes, including the ending cameo by Eastman and Laird.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

It gets even worse.

This, combined with the Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers, makes me guess that Nickelodeon's new brand strategy for Nicktoons Network is "buy the distribution rights to as many color-coded superhero teams as possible."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, I love that Don Knotts made a cameo in the crowd of tourists in the first episode. :allears:

There have been a number of interesting references to Scooby-Doo and Hanna-Barbera history on the show. The ones I can recall off the top of my head:

-Nugget Nose from The Galloping Ghost appears in a flashback about Gatorburg, a town which mined alligators ("See, this is what happens when you build a civilization around an entirely gator-based economy")
-The teenage versions of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm appear in the background in the crab-man episode
-Daphne hums the theme song to "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" to herself
-The villain of one episode is a girl falsely claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper
-The Hex Girls from Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost play an important role in one episode

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Since it is a classic kids show, I think it belongs here- you may be interested to know that starting today, Saban Brands will be showing all 145 episodes of the original Power Rangers series, one every day for the next 145 days, on their official website.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

Wait, are you saying they've actually made a love triangle between Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby?

And then there was the time Scooby dumped Shaggy for a ventriloquist's dummy.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

sickinwyoming posted:

Wait, what?
I demand to know what's wrong with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. (Be sure to put the closed-captioning on.)

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

Eh. The Scallop is the best character.

edit: The Scallop is the best character.

I love Clamantha. "Doo doo doo doo doo...I'm a teenage clam..." "WE DID? :psyboom:"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

Am I weird for thinking it's out of place that they have pocket lighters in the Flintstones? A neat thing about the show is most inventions other than simple tools like spoons are run by animals and humans. A zippo/wick lighter in the Flintstones makes no sense. What's the fuel?

Doesn't the ad show that the lighter is powered by two sticks rubbed together?

ETA: Oh, the seahorse teacher is Master Shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

^Some of the jokes were pretty out there, which I liked (the realistic human foot, Clamantha exploding, the whole "FRIENDS!" thing) and appear to show the influence of Atoms and Greenblatt. It was definitely better than the preview episode.

ETA: There also seems to be a bit of humor playing on the predictability of underwater-set cartoons- rather than having a clever punny name, they just flat-out say something unoriginal with "Fish" attached to it like "Fish Broadway" or "Fish Austin, Texas."

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 25, 2010