Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I was surprised to see that Fish Hooks appears to be going for the "original song every episode" thing, since there wasn't a song in the pilot. I guess they're going for the Phineas and Ferb type of thing. (Then again, Phineas and Ferb didn't have a song in its pilot episode either, although it did have the Perry the Platypus theme in its closing credits). I also like the fact that Fish Hooks runs a cast list at the beginning of each episode. More cartoons should treat their voice cast like a real cast that way, and it also prevents the "hey, who's that?" sort of thing by not having to wait till the closing credits to see who the voices were- I was surprised that Rachel Dratch was the monosyllabic Koi, for example. (With recurring guest stars such as Jerry Stiller and Richard Simmons coming up, I'm sure a number of the voices will be recognizable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Heck, that's brief prose compared to the Phineas and Ferb Wiki's description of the episode, which is 15 paragraphs long.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

sickinwyoming posted:

Honestly the weirdest part about this for me is that they're writing stories about themselves for a show that's about them. :psyduck:

What's even more bizarre is that this story was suggested by the winner of a TV Guide contest (who is namedropped at the end of the episode.) So basically, she won a contest to come up with an idea for an episode of Arthur with an idea about a contest to come up with an idea for an episode of Arthur. Or something.

It's been a while since I've seen Arthur (surprisingly, it's still running), but I do remember this being a memorable episode. I especially like the gag about Hulk Hogan fighting the Associated Press, among others.

Other random recent kids show thoughts:
*T.U.F.F. Puppy I liked. Planet Sheen...not so much.
*MAD seems to be improving each week. Last week had a Glee parody I thought was pretty amusing, while this week was probably the best so far with a lot of memorable sketches: A Wall-E/Terminator crossover where Wall-E travels to the present and starts terminating producers of trash (ending with, of course, the MAD offices), a spot gag with a celebrity being slimed at the Kids' Choice Awards causing her to turn into a monster, a bit involving the other Lucky Charms leprechaun that no one wants to catch because he's the one who makes the cereal part ("But I've got all your favorite shapes! Brown square, brown X, brown...I don't know what that is? A bell, maybe?"), and Extreme Makeover: Fortress of Solitude Edition (a door leading to the Phantom Zone, where Danny Phantom is chasing Casper, General Zod: "Would you keep it down? I'm trying to watch Victorious! Superman: I'll show YOU who's victorious!," "Next week, we make over this House!" [cut to Dr. House]"). Sure, they're silly pop-culture gags, but they're funny silly pop-culture gags. Tom Richmond's caricatures help. Here's a sampling of some of his caricature work: David Caruso for CSiCarly, cast of Glee, Superman's Extreme Makeover

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 7, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

^What I find strangest about Shake It Up is that it's created by veteran Chris Thompson, who has worked on The Larry Sanders Show and Action. But, since Sanders also worked for Laverne and Shirley, this means we now have a direct link between Disney's tweencom pap and the Milkis-Miller-Boyett output which I think is the closest thing to it as far as predecessors go.

Muppetjedi posted:

Anyone else like Wizards of Waverly place?

I feel about it the same way I do most of the live-action Disney output: horrible writing, great cast. Like most of its ilk, I only find Wizards funny when they make an unexpected joke or reference the target audience probably isn't going to get, like a freeze-frame spell invented by a wizard named Jay Giles or using Diane Sawyer as an alias to go along with Tom Sawyer ("That's obviously fake- that's the name from the Rush song!" "And the classic novel..." "Wow. It was a good song, but I didn't know they made a book out of it."), but I really think Selena Gomez and Jennifer Stone are good actresses who, if they ever break out of Disney, might actually do well with better material (I'm not ashamed to say I actually own an autographed photo of Gomez).

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

^I'd say Dan Schneider's stuff- especially iCarly- is an exception to that rule (although iCarly has been declining in quality a bit as of late- the episode with Jane Lynch as Sam's mom was a particular low point- the character was funnier when alluded to and not shown). Schneider has been writing little routines on Xtranormal recently for some reason- I thought this one where he listens to a fan's ideas was pretty amusing for what it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNGeTuscTU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

sickinwyoming posted:

I thought Lynch was a perfect fit for Sam's mom. :colbert:

I agree as far as choice of casting goes. As far as whether or not Sam's mom should have actually be shown on-screen, I have to agree with David Hinckley of the New York Daily News: "She was funnier in our imagination. When Sam would tell Carly on past shows that Pam had a tattoo of a foot on her foot, that image was far more hilarious than if we had seen an actual tattoo."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

the conspicuous omission of things like cyberstalking or creepy adult fans

True (and it's kind of obvious why they did that), but they certainly have a creepy fan in the form of Mandy. And although it may not be the same thing as cyberstalking, iCarly does have a nemesis who tries to sabotage their show (mainly because Carly refused to kiss him).

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 17, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I was refering to Nevel, actually.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Found it, Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned%27s_Declassified_School_Survival_Guide

Anyone know if its as funny as I remember it being? At the time I was smoking a lot of weed, and it was just starting when I was getting home from work so I ended up watching it.

It was a pretty amusing show- very live-action-cartoony. One of the Fairly Oddparents writers was behind it, so it's very much that style of humor.

And in business news...MOM! Phineas and Ferb are being grown by Disney into what they hope can be a SpongeBob-dethroning franchise!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Well, Phineas is 18 and Ferb is 20 (not to mention the fact Ferb barely talks). Phineas's voice was a lot different when the series started compared to now, but I think that's more a result of Vincent Martella "finding his voice" as Phineas rather than puberty.

Unless you're talking about when Phineas and Ferb themselves will hit puberty. Seeing as they've been on an 104-day summer vacation for three years straight, I don't think that's going to happen soon.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Allia posted:

But I thought Disney announced they were cancelling Phineas and Ferb?

No. No they haven't. They actually announced a third season way back in June, and they have a made-for-TV movie slated for summer of 2011.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Beakman is a fictional character based on a comic strip, whereas Bill Nye is a real person. However, they are both awesome on their own merits, for different but equal reasons. (Plus, Beakman gives a shoutout to the original TV scientist by having two penguins named "Don" and "Herb," as in Mr. Wizard Don Herbert.)

Rest in peace, Lester.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

He actually got his "Bill Nye the science guy" nickname after correcting another fellow Almost Live member's pronunciation of "gigawatt." (He had pronounced it the Doc Brown way.)

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

Behold the CN parental complaining.

Uh...

quote:

Made by two concerned teens, who feel that though cartoons have been going downhill for a while, its getting ridiculous. Its making kids think this stuff is okay, when its not.

One of those two concerned teens has a picture of herself in a Boba Fett costume on her Facebook page and this rather enlightening profile description: "STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS...Star Wars! Imma Sith =D" Make of that what you will.

Thankfully, most of the comments on the YouTube channel and the Facebook page are actually well-written rebuttals. For example:

quote:

How you raise your own kids is your business. But don't resort to promoting censorship. The shows you are attacking are clearly targeting teen and preteen demographics, and carry a TV-PG rating which is prominently displayed throughout each episode.

The other thing I noticed about the video you guys posted, analyzing the shows, was the fact that you failed to take into account the humor of them. For example, the MAD sketch "Zombi" is actually a very keen satire or Disney's policy of taking their classic films and making endless DVD sequels, making them quite literally undead.
Likewise, the sketch "ponziopoly" in which the mother is dragged off to jail, is a cunning spoof of Monopoly, a game which encourages people to bankrupt each other, send each other to jail and engage in ruthless and illegal corporate tactics. By making a ponzi scheme version of Monopoly, the show satirizes how families happily play a game supporting illegal activities, and when the mother is dragged off to jail, it shows how doing something like that in a game is actually a bad thing.

As for Regular Show, I personally love it, and it is pure entertainment. It is silly for the sake of being silly, and I believe there is value to that. You have to recognize that not all shows are out to "teach our kids something", and that the goal of most cartoonists is to provide laughs and good times to their audience. If you sit down to watch an episode of your favorite sitcom, you're not thinking "what can I learn from this" and it's the same thing with animation. Even if you don't find Regular Show funny, and I admit its brand of humor is fairly obtuse, you should at least respect the fact that there are people who do find it funny, and you should not attempt to take it away from them.

Finally, I would like to remind you that it is your job as parents to decide what is appropriate for your kids, and what you allow them to watch, and not the job of television networks. If you don't think these shows are appropriate, you don't have to show them to your kids, but Cartoon Network wasn't made as a babysitting tool, it was created for animation lovers of all ages. As one of those animation lovers, I respectfully ask that you consider taking this group down, and instead focusing on raising your kids in the manner that you best see fit.

If you really want to see idiot concerned parents, look at the Parents' Television Council's "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" report. A few years old, but still one of the most poorly-researched, taking-things-out-of-context report on childrens' television I've ever read.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The other stuff I love in that report:

The Parents Television Council posted:

Rugrats opened the floodgates for the infusion of bathroom humor in children’s programming as well as themes of disobedience and disrespect.

Programs containing no offensive or excretory content include...Rugrats...Programs containing no verbally abusive language include...Rugrats...The Social Institutions category included the following topics: Parental authority/responsibility, Portrayal of parents in negative light...Programs with no such content [included]...Rugrats...

:psyduck: Yes...um...the show that has none of those things opened the floodgates for those things...right? Also, since when did Rugrats not have any of those things? Are they watching the Bizarro World version of the series, in which the babies do absolutely nothing and Angelica helps them to cooperate?

First, the animation techniques employed today are far superior and more realistic than those used in the heyday of Tom and Jerry.

Yes, cheap Korean television animation is far superior and realistic than lavishly-drawn Hollywood feature animation. It's simple economics- the cheaper something is, the better it is!

Bugs Bunny didn’t call Elmer Fudd an idiot.

Mr. Bunny, I think you should field this one..."Whatta maroon!" (comedic mispronunciation of "moron"- not the same word, but same meaning)

ETA: It's time to play "Spot the Irony!" At least one person related to one of these names on the PTC's celebrity advisory board has been criticized by the PTC in recent years...it should stick out like an achy-breaky sore thumb.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 14, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know why, but this shout-out amused me:

Jon Stewart posted:

Conflictinator [a term used to refer to the cable news networks during the Rally to restore sanity], by the way, is a reference to Phineas and Ferb, the cartoon. The evil Doofenshmirtz, Dr. Doofenshmirtz, my kids watch him. Everything he makes is an -inator. [as Dr. Doofenshmirtz] My conflictinator!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

I really don't know what to make of the MAD show. On the one hand I love subversive cartoon shows, but I think a half hour format is completely wrong for a show comprised of 12 second jump cuts, and even within the context of the longer bits, everything jumps around so much that the whole show seems like it's on crank.

MAD is only 15 minutes long.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The Steak Justice posted:

Alright, I mostly really like Mystery Inc, but there's a glaring problem that makes it hard to enjoy, and I didn't realize it until just recently;
Velma is completely unlikable.

I think the big problem with the show is that it's trying too hard to make fun of the Scooby formula and focus on the relationships between the characters that the basic "four kids and a dog solving mysteries" premise is given the backseat to it. For a show with "Scooby-Doo" in the title, Scooby himself- usually the comic relief- is given surprisingly little to do.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Disney boycotted the Annies in part because they thought they were biased against DreamWorks. So it's odd that they still have some nominations.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Question: when and where can this pony show that is apparently pretty good be found? I haven't seen any advertising anywhere.

The Hub (the Discovery/Hasbro network).

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

It's a new episode- it's a musical remake of the pilot episode to make up for the fact it had no songs. It was actually supposed to air on Friday, but the big SpongeBob event tonight made them think twice. The episode has already aired on demand and thus has shown up online. Not the best episode, but it has its moments. Not surprisingly, Doofenshmirtz is responsible for a lot of them. Curse you, deja vu!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

And yes, that is Paul Williams.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I think it stands in stark contrast to Phineas and Ferb, where you don't expect to like some characters but end up finding something to like about all of them.

I think this is actually one of the show's strengths. to quote the creators:

quote:

Swampy Marsh: I think it's great that the characters are cool, edgy and clever without the humor being mean-spirited. It was important to us that they never did anything with any animosity. They never tried to get their sister in trouble or outsmart their mother and get away with it.

Dan Povenmire: We were trying to do that and still keep an edge to it. Our animation director Rob Hughes...said on all the other shows every character is either stupid or a jerk, but there are no stupid characters or jerks in this one.

Marsh: Except the creators.

None of the characters are really mean or act like jerks- even the bully is smarter than he seems and appears to have a very close nerd-bully relationship with his target.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Only when she's on the clock. Off-duty she's pretty okay.

Exactly. Heck, she even taught Candace how to get Phineas and Ferb to bust themselves!*

*Results may vary.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Horse Pepsi posted:

Power Rangers is returning with Power Rangers: Samurai on Nickelodeon (tonight at 8PM ET and Sundays at noon after this week).

To steal a line from NBC News, they're not "returning"- that would indicate they had gone somewhere. Believe it or not, Power Rangers series were in production up to 2009. Haim Saban recently bought back the rights to the franchise from Disney, and he hopes this new incarnation will make them as inescapable as they were back in 1993. Will it work? Only time will tell.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

I don't understand the logic here. They're skipping Goseiger, which was built as a tie-in to a dice/card/something game?

e4: Do they morph by turning an action figure into a key and putting it in a cell phone?

Those both sound like they'd violate FCC regulations against "host selling."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

So far, the hallucinatory zebra that calls Candace "Kevin" has only showed up in Candace's dreams or drugmoss-induced hallucinations. Why do my nostrils whisper to me?

As far as Phineas and Ferb goes, there was a new episode last night which had some Doofenshmirtz goodness, including this exchange which sums up so much:

Doofenshmirtz: Vanessa, thank goodness you're here! A platypus has tied me up in my own pants!
Vanessa: How my life get to the point where that is not a strange sentence to me?

And as far as bizarre Power Rangers-related things go, remember that the evil pizzas were no match for a simple stoplight.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Has Phineas and Ferb ever been big on guest voices? The only one that comes to mind for me was Seth MacFarlane during the sci-fi convention episode.

I actually wrote down a list for something I had written about the show: "Evander Holyfield (drawn with a bite in his ear, no less), Billy Ray Cyrus, French Stewart, Geraldo Rivera, Ben Stiller, Kevin Smith, Seth McFarlane, J.K. Simmons, Sandra Oh, John Laroquette, Vicki Lawrence, Cloris Leachman, Jennifer Grey, Tim Curry, Sheena Easton, David Mitchell, and Lorenzo Lamas (who played an alien who can only say "meap" and shoots rainbows out of his mouth!)" There may have been more.

ETA: One more I remembered: Don LaFontaine, in one of his final roles. "In a world...there. I said it. Happy?"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Its odd that the article says first feature length film, as Mickey has been in several. Granted none of them were memorable, which speaks to the problem of current Mickey not being all that great a character. To be honest, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts I can't think of any recent/ongoing projects that make use of Mickey in an unusual way either (and no Epic Mickey doesn't count, they managed to make that quite bland and inoffensive.)

Mickey's never appeared in his own stand-alone theatrical release. The closest is his starring role in a retelling of "Jack and the Beanstalk" which was part of the package film Fun and Fancy Free. According to Burny Mattinson, who is behind the Mickey feature idea, Disney had an idea in development as far back as the 1980s with the key Disney trio (Mickey, Donald, Goofy) as the Three Musketeers, which eventually became a direct-to-video feature directed by Two Stupid Dogs creator Donovan Cook. This is probably the best modern project Disney's attempted to do using the characters. It's been a while since I saw it, but I recall it being actually funny and entertaining, with a few self-referential gags and some catchy musical numbers based on familiar classical pieces. (As far as modern revivals of the Disney characters go, there was also Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse, which was a pretty good series.)

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Bugs is the only character redesign that looks wrong to me. His head in particular looks too large for his body.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Here's an article about the show. And here's the official website, where you can see video clips and the character redesigns. (For some reason, Daffy has also been given a girlfriend to go along with Lola Bunny, and Witch Hazel's name is now spelled backwards- odd, since "witch hazel" is an actual thing and Disney actually had a character with the same name at the same time [both voiced originally by June Foray, no less], so it doesn't seem like there would be a legal problem.)

The guy who's doing Bugs and Daffy's voices could do them pretty well...but that was twenty years ago after Mel Blanc had just died.

ETA: Okay, the more I see of this show, the more I like it. The clip on the official website where Bugs tries to tell an uninterested Daffy his life story is hilarious. "He'll be fast, virtually invulnerable, and say 'what's up doc' indiscriminately whether speaking to a doctor or not."

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 29, 2011

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Amorphous Blob posted:

Whats with girl Daffy and girl Porky? Are they new characters?

Girl Daffy is a new character, but Girl Porky (Petunia) dates back to at least the 1930s.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

^I agree. I think it's for the same reason- Bugs is such a recognizable character that even if you alter him slightly it looks odd.

TwoPair posted:

I think one of the things hurting New Looney Tunes is the seemingly total lack of music. I mean, it's not like the old cartoons had a running background theme all the time, but from the clips that are up now, the only noise is Bugs and Daffy talking.

It's very hard to capture the sort of musical wit that Carl Stalling had. This is a different sort of humor from the original Looney Tunes anyway, so perhaps it's best not to try. (Of course, part of what made Stalling's musicality work is the fact that he used a lot of popular songs that Warners happened to own the rights to add an extra gag, like "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" if someone was blowing bubbles or "I'm Looking Over A Four-Leaf Clover" if the Road Runner was on a cloverleaf highway. Warners no longer owns its eponymous Music Group, but then again Regular Show isn't against using licensed music, and the clip where Bugs tells Daffy he's from Krypton uses the actual John Williams Superman theme, though I'm assuming Warners no doubt owns that.)

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Cartoon Network's upfront press release referred to Tina as "Daffy's new no-nonsense girlfriend." I assume it makes sense that his girlfriend is the exact opposite of him- level-headed. And since Bugs is also a level-headed individual, his girlfriend is a ditz: "[Lola is] charming, cute and unpredictable. She has the same kind of chaotic energy that Daffy brings to the show—very much like a screwball comedy." (Tony Cervone to Animation Magazine)

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Looney Tunes Show wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it was at least amusing. Looks like it has potential. (And the Merrie Melodie with Elmer Fudd singing the Barry White-style make-out song to the grilled cheese sandwich was gold.)

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

The weird thing with Speedy was that alot of people of Hispanic descent really did like that character, the League of United Latin American Citizens actually tried to campaign to get him back on tv

But some executives said it was racist and pulled him. =/

Actually, it was the other way around- the Speedy Gonzales cartoons were pulled from television because it was feared the character would be seen as racist, but it turned out a lot of Latinos actually liked Speedy and saw him as a positive character.

JammyLammy posted:

edit: At least we did get Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry which is pretty memorable in cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN38JLzkug8

Gene Kelly was originally supposed to dance opposite Mickey Mouse, but Disney didn't want to license the character to MGM. Luckily, MGM already had an animated mouse they owned.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Not really for this thread, since it's going to be a prime-time comedy (just as the original Flintstones was) rather than a cable kids show, but:

TwoPair posted:

e: But seriously, I am not enthused about this. Is America really hurting for a Flintstones remake? I guess somebody at Hanna-Barbera saw The Looney Tunes Show and thought "We need to get on this boat!"

Hanna-Barbera no longer exists, it's just a "brand name" used by Warner Bros. for the characters from that studio. Apparently, based on the article, the negotiations between MacFarlane/Fox and Warners to get this project off the ground started long before The Looney Tunes Show (MacFarlane is apparently a big Flintstones fan, and he actually got his start at H-B).

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm curious to see what the writing will be like. Will the show stay G rated? Can a primetime animation even survive without edgy "adult" humor?

I guess they could make it like The Simpsons where there is enough adult humor to not be considered a kid's show but still tame enough to be family programming.

I was thinking the same thing. A few years ago, Cartoon Network had a Flintstones TV-movie called "On the Rocks" which was about the Flintstones' marital woes during a trip to Mexico. It was an attempt to get the characters back to their roots (back when the series was more "adult-oriented" and dealt with relationship humor rather than goofy characters and premises), and was actually pretty good. There were a couple of risqué jokes here and there, but not wall-to-wall raunch. If MacFarlane and company could do a balance like that, it might actually be entertaining to watch.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

The voice cast for the new Ninja Turtles series has been announced: Jason Biggs as Leonardo, Sean Astin as Raphael, Greg Cipes as Michelangelo, and Rob Paulsen (the original Raphael) as Donatello.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Remember everybody, the Teen Nick '90s block started yesterday. Show your support if you've got the channel.

Are they going to change what they show every week?

For now, the lineup is going to stay the same. Later on, TeenNick will be using fan feedback online to choose what will be added to the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I personally don't care for Disney Channel/Disney XD live action shows and the child/teenage stars that come from them, but I gotta ask: has Brenda Song done anything for Disney lately?

Because something tells me this is the end of the line for her Disney career.

The Suite Life, which I think has been on since the beginning of time, just ended. Ms. Song's only collaboration with Disney right now is doing a voice-over for a Tinkerbell TV special, which she promoted at the D23 Expo in Anaheim in person before this bombshell dropped.