Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

SpazmasterX posted:

Just gonna chime in and say that Chowder is probably the best kids cartoon for adults to land on television since Rocko and Animaniacs.

:byodood: I'M NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND!

I love Chowder with all my heart. All the characters are just so good. It's very much all about Shnitzel, though.

Flapjack is also wonderful.. but is VERY weird. Some of my friends can't get into it because of it's weirdness. (Screw 'em! ADVENTURE!)

Caught Generator Rex's first episode. I liked it. It seems really fun, and how they portrayed him being in control of the company, and being at odds against his fellows.. reminded me a bit of Static Shock, without the hip-hop of the earlier seasons. The villain is evil, and powerful which is something the original Ben 10 guys were good at setting up. In the original Ben 10, Vilgax always seemed to be a really BIG force.. now? Meh.

Ben 10: Whatever Force. When it switched to him being a teenager, and him brooding.. it lost something. It lost a lot of that playfulness the original had. It lacks a lot of depth the original had, and voice acting.. just replacing it with new aliens and more powers for no reason. Ben no longer has to rely on picking his alien choice carefully.. he'll just power through, which is a lot of what the original show was trying to teach him to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

hallo spacedog posted:

I think that's why it got the morning Bakugan timeslot. They don't even bother trying to show it later in the day.

Yes they do. It was just on earlier. I don't get it.. it's as bad as Skunk Fu.

There are a lot of really crappy flash animations now.. for kids.

Though, I will go to the bat for Xiaolin Showdown. I just wish the badguys wouldn't always fail so horribly. I liked Jack Splicer. (He was Budnick on Salute Your Shorts!)

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Freakazoid is out on DVD I believe. Yup! 2 Seasons!

I keep seeing all of Duckman, too. Not a kid's show.. but still, I watched it all the time when I was a kid.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Sockser posted:

There have been far too many shows playing this angle and they've all been lovely

I really liked Juniper Lee, from what I saw of it. It was really cute, and the VisDev was neat.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I know that Animaniacs gets a lot of praise, and I loved it as a kid, but as an adult the show just makes me uncomfortable. It has this sort of proto-internet sense of humor, half the sketches are terrible (Rita & Runt, Buttons & Mindy, and Goodfeathers are all painful), and the fact that the references are all to old musicals and stuff like The Day the Clown Cried is just puzzling. Same with Tiny Toons, only it had worse animation. Freakazoid I actually liked a lot because they refined their humor down to the point where it was actually funny, and Ed Asner as the sidekick was great.

I know that there are a lot of parts to the Animaniacs that are weak, but it's a really clever show. Stuff like Rita & Runt, Buttons & Mindy and The Good Feathers were all targeting different age groups who may not get all the references, but liked a little slap stick. As I'm older, they're now the weaker parts.. though, some of Rita and Runt are more dramatic and did feature good singing.

Really, going back and watching it as an adult, I'm really surprised at how much it taught me. A lot of those words used by Yakko, Wakko and Dot wandered into my vocabulary as a kid, and I never felt like they were going over my head. (During it's original run.) But, hell.. I was 10 at the time. I loved it then, and I loved it now, because it straddled that line of childish and educational. I just get all the references now!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Shadow The Rat posted:

I thought it was a really funny show all around, despite the Hot Topic-level popularity it got being shoved into my eyes often (I didn't watch it until after it died down). A lot of Vasquez's non-Zim stuff (JTHM, I Feel Sick, etc.) was merely okay. I have the same opinion of him as I do with John Kricfaluski, in that they've got talent but they truly shine when under a leash. That's when they try to push the envelope with what they have and make a stellar product, compared to say, SpikeTV's Ren & Stimpy, which ruined a lot of the dodgy humor the original episodes had.

I kind of agree with this.. but, I do love Squee! with all of my heart.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Aces High posted:

soooo what's your opinion on the MTV one based off the movies? I only liked it because of its bitching intro music, and Neil Patrick Harris made an interesting Peter Parker/Spider-Man

The art style behind it was pretty awful looking, if I recall. I couldn't make it through an episode.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It's a real shame. I really enjoyed the Spectacular Spiderman series. Way more-so than Wolverine and the X-Men.

..I'm conflicted on X-Men: Evolution.. mostly because of Spike, and Highschool. In the later seasons when they started dropping more of the high school stuff, it started getting better. The animation was good, at least, and it had some good character designs.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh my God that's amazing. Why isn't the Cap'n blue though :ohdear:

Prosthetic first, then paint. Looks like he was still going through part one!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

thelaughingman posted:

A quick preview of Sym-Bionic Titan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOIQz0NCTs&feature=related

Sym-Bionic Titan looks really cool. I'm excited for it, as it it another Genndy Tartakovsky show. He's usually really slick, and after Samurai Jack.. I'll watch anything he does.

Speaking of robots.. I really hoped Generator Rex would find something. Doesn't seem like it. It's just kind of bland, still.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Holy crap.. I'm watching the Re-Run of the 2nd episode of Symbiotic Titan. Sure. It hits a lot of cliche's of the Giant Robot/Team but.. it's also really fun and over the top.

Also, drat brutal. Good fight scenes, a nice chase scene.. and it never forgets about the home world.

I like the characters, and it's fun with awesome art.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I suppose the joke is that Lola is terrible and not funny at all which is some weird meta humor on Warner Brothers' part.

She was more entertaining to me in that episode, then she's ever been previously.

I also found it funny that she called Bugs ugly, and he took offense.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I've been kind of ignoring Scooby Doo Mystery Inc for the last little bit, feeling like it's kind of just not doing it for me. I turned in today, to be REALLY entertained by it. That's the first time I've actually been entertained and engaged by it since 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Also, picking up the new Ben 10 series. It seems to have gone back to a combination of it's first series and charm even though Ben's older. Having him not being quite so invincible/calm and collected and having him and the omnitrix be at odds again REALLY helps out.

Also, I seem to be randomly getting The Hub again, so I can finally check out The Aquabat's show! Hooray! As well as watching all the Timm DCU.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Oh, I'm so happy I got to see it. It's exactly what it needed to be, and exactly what I thought it would be. I couldn't be happier!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Liar posted:

The new animation style doesn't help. It's way too "cartoony" for my tastes. Plus the initial concept of Gwen and 90's grunge band member Kevin just moving away, to be immediately replaced with a dorky, tech-based alien just seems stupid. This series seems to completely forget the last one. And an alien made of lego blocks... enough said.

To be honest, I like the cartoony feel of it more than I did the feel of the older Ben episodes. It was always just so bland, and darker and boring visually. I'd rather have something a bit brighter, with a bit more action, and doing that allows the aliens to have more fun as well. Like the Lego alien.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of the replacement, but I've never been a big fan of Kevin or Gwen since the other series. Gwen became way too reserved, and everyone just dropped off emotionally. I've never known any teenagers that calm or rational as Ben and Gwen were presented to be. Of course, I had the same problem with the first season of Young Justice. Where everyone was just kind of.. there, and going through the motions of being heroes. Never really any concern for their well being or drama, where kid Ben would muck up or the Omnitrix would time out, or give him the wrong alien.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I don't normally get XD, and I've been neglecting the thread. So, I've just caught up and saw an episode of Motorcity. I'm excited to burn through more episodes now, it was a lot of fun and not something I was expecting to see from XD original programming.

The backgrounds are beautiful. And, you know.. Mark Hamill.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, I love how flexible stuff is for kids shows now. 20 years ago Mortal Kombat was a moral panic and a national media circus, now Disney makes a movie where in the first 10 minutes they have Kano ripping a dude's heart out and it's rated PG. Same for Regular show having a ton of swears and barely-veiled references to sex (lady pecks, unicorn slump, etc.)

Let's be fair. Rocko (93) and Ren and Stimpy (91) were for kids, too. And they were far more blatant about things. A lot of people who remember those old shows (and are being reminded of them with Netflix or other media) are having kids now.

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 9, 2013

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Young Justice was just taking way too long to resolve anything. I still can't say I like any of the original team. If they weren't all brooding, and sour, they were Ms. Martian...who turned into someone who was brooding, and sour when she started killing brains.

Characters I normally enjoy in the DCAU, or even DC, I ended up really apathetic to. Though, I did want to see a more serious version of Static.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

DivisionPost posted:

Because I'm pretty sure there's a healthy following for Pete & Pete around here:

A sketch they did to commemorate their 20th Anniversary reunion. (Mature Audiences)

They did something for Pete & Pete at SF Sketch Fest. Had I been paying closer attention, I'd have gotten tickets.

It's nice to see Little Pete is kind of turning into Paul Heyman, though?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I tried watching that one a couple of years ago for shits, and honestly? I remember people giving it a lot of crap and I can't say it deserved near as much as it did. Compare it to the Street Fighter animated series that came out or the Darkstalkers animated series and it looks so much better (they actually got the origin story for Megaman pretty right, so that's a plus!). It seemed like it was pretty ok for what you'd expect out of the 90's from a video game cartoon.

Plus the theme song and opening they had for it were slick as hell, even if they're a little bit different in terms of style than the cartoon itself (which apparently was more along the style they wanted to go with, but the focus groups they had for it didn't respond well to it).

I still get the theme song stuck in my head every now and again. No one thought it was good, it was entertaining. Plus there was the episode where X showed up from the future. I hated most of the regular henchmen that showed up(Cuts and Guts), but there were occasions when Magnet Man, or Snake Man showed up and it'd be neat.

I..also liked the Street Fighter cartoon, it had nothing to do with anything. It was all about M. Bison, though. Again, so goofy that it was entertaining.

Much better than the Mortal Kombat cartoon.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

So I finally got around to watching the new Teen Titans Go! cartoon and holy hell, it's amazing. They actually had an episode with Terra on yesterday and I think it's safe to say that I like the Teen Titans Go! iterations of the characters more than the previous version. Every episode is just gold.

I actually like both, for different reasons. TT:G is just really manic, and fun. Everyone is amped up to 11.

There were some really neat adventures, and long stories in the original Teen Titans. I loved the Brotherhood of Evil and Doom Patrol stuff they did. I dug all the stuff with Slade. I enjoyed that it could be serious, as well as funny.

I like my long stories, that span a few episodes or a season.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Neo Helbeast posted:

I think it's worse than Johnny Test at least in character writing, maybe in animation too.

That's a pretty bold accusation. Johnny Test has slipped up to the top of my hated animation charts. gently caress that show. gently caress that it's on so much. gently caress that it comes on after I'm watching good shows.

Winx Club was at least, at least from what I saw before I flipped the channel, regulated to weekends.. oh, god. It's been around since before 2005.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To add to the trash talk, MAD is still running after like 4 years. I can accept that poo poo like Annoying Orange and Johnny Test exists because it's cheap garbage they can churn out to fill, but MAD goes to a decent amount of effort to try out different animation styles but it can never seem to come up with material that's worth it. And when they do get one or two good jokes they're reliant on pop culture references that nobody in the target audience would get.

Half the time, I have no idea what audience Mad is targeting. Some of their references are just bizarrely old for what they're doing.

Melrose Place? Why? Clay Aiken jokes? Footloose parodies? Everybody Loves Raymond? Friends? The Kardashians? It's just all over the place with little focus. They throw whatever's up against the wall and hope it sticks.

Robot Chicken does the same thing, but at least it feels like it's aimed for an older audience, so using older shows/movies makes more sense. It also has better writing and jokes.

I guess I wouldn't feel confused by it, if MAD didn't constantly tell us what a lovely show IT thinks it is. I know Mad Magazine used to do that too, but there was actually some pretty good content in there, at least, from what I remember(..From like 15 years ago? They at least had some decent artists and cartoon strips.) I haven't picked up a MAD in years. It could be different now.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TwoPair posted:

Teen Titans Go is fantastic, but Teen Titans Original also owned sorry.

Agreed. They toned down a lot of the anime stuff as the seasons went on, much to it's benefit. It got really good at the end.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In 2001 they did a Halloween special called Night of the Living Doo that was basically this. Featuring special guest star David Cross.

They also kind of did this with Batman: Brave and the Bold when Batmite was looking at alternative Batman universes. I believe it had Weird Al, and Batmite also took off the old censorship, so Scooby and Shaggy punched out Joker and Penguin.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Acquire Currency! posted:

Clarence kinda owns and is much better than UG.

I liked the first episode a lot better than the pilot.

Clarence has a weirdly charming innocence to him, and I just know too many people like Jeff, so he automatically becomes amusing.

So much better than Uncle Grampa.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Neo Helbeast posted:

A pup named Scooby Doo is like seriously the best Scooby Doo show.

I hated A Pup Named Scooby Doo. I hated Fred being obsessed with Red Harring. I hated Daphne being so reliant upon her money, and fashion. It's like they took the worst parts of the original show and characters and just blew them up 100 fold. It always just felt so obnoxious. It just felt like a death cry, that left Scooby Doo dead until they started doing the direct to DVD movies.

Honestly, the best Scooby Doo got for me, back then was the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. A longer storyline, Vincent Price. I didn't give a crap about Flim Flam, and Scrappy was an unfortunate part of that era, but real ghosts. Monsters, and interesting stuff for that era, and a shake up from the normal formula.

It seemed like something completely new from the Scooby Doo box.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Crabtree posted:

Which is exactly why 13 ghosts died before it even finished one season, the herd hates change to the formula.:(

Sorry to bring up Clarance again, but it's got the best opening theme for any cartoon of 2014. It's just so energetic and free. As soon as I heard this I wanted to give the show a chance. And secretly hope that there is a larger version or other songs like this in the show's future. :kimchi:

I love Clarence. I was really apathetic to it, seeing all the previews and the pilot. After watching Fun Dungeon, I started coming around and then A Pretty Great Day with a Girl, I was fully on board.

The only reason I tolerated the Flintstone Kids is because it gave me more Captain Caveman.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

Zombie Island is a legit good, I still liked the Alien one, the Hex Witches and Tim Curry as HP Stephen King one, and the virtual reality one.

Also I remember loving the Shaggy is a werewolf one.

I liked the movies too. Well, some of them, but I really thought.

I remember the old Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School one, too.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I really liked his full dino PJs. If I ever had a kid, I'd get those for him.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Gaunab posted:

I know canada can make good animated shows but I can't remember them at the moment

Clone High.

At least I think that was Canadian.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Well. That would have given Loeb something to do other than all the marvel cartoons. I think I would have been okay with that.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I don't know man. If you told me that was on Cartoon Network, I'd go, "Yeah. That totally makes sense."

It has a Steven Universe kind of feel to it, just a lot more manic?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Acne Rain posted:

What's all this crap about Korra liking girls or something, people in other threads are saying that that happened on a Nickelodeon kids show and I don't believe them, but I don't really want to watch the episode because seasons one and two blew.

Season 2 Blew, undoubtedly.

The next two seasons really made up for the crappy season 2 (With the exception of the Avatar Wan stuff. That stuff was awesome.)

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Zorglorfian posted:

So We Bare Bears is one of the funniest things now. It's so grounded in the 21st century, and I think the first one to truly do so. All of the other cartoons have 80's throwbacks, (even Gravity Falls has a retro vibe I can't put my finger on) but this seems like a keeper. It may not be timeless per-se, but it works really well for now.

I agree. It's super cute, all of the bears are really neat in their own way. Every time I think Grizz is going to start bugging me, he backs off a bit.

Though, I do marvel at Ice Bear.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Sockser posted:

Panda drawing bad anime faces is my favorite thing

But they were so rendered!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

axleblaze posted:

Watching the new Scooby Doo and it honestly seems alrightish. It's not great but it's pretty much standard Scooby Doo but slightly better. The decision to make Daphne "the wacky one" was probably for the best. Normally it would be a bad idea but she's normally so bland that it sorta works.

Daphne's new strangeness is alright with me too. I kind of get bored with her being Fred's Girlfriend.

I think she could also stand to share more of the leadership role that she had before during 13 Ghosts or something. Have Fred take kind of a back seat on some adventures.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So what's happening with the final episode of Gravity Falls? Was the whole thing horrendously unpopular or something? The airing of the last few episodes has been dragged out to an absurd degree.

Gravity Falls and Dragged Out.. just kind of go along together. It took like, two years for the first season to finish, another year and a half or so for the second. (Roughly estimated.) Long spans where it'd be a month, or two months between episodes.

It's not to Venture Brothers level of waiting, but it's still pretty long.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I was curious about Ben 10 a little bit ago, I had gone through a lot of the last one, "Omniverse" a bit. It's not bad? It takes itself a lot less seriously than the more realistic teenage Ben Ten: ______. Apparently Omniverse added a few seasons that I didn't ever see on TV.

Cartoony and silly are good for a series like that. The only thing that is that nothing feels like it has any consequence?

With the first Ben 10, Ben would learn a bit more about the value of his aliens, maybe unlock a different way to use the Omnitrix or an Alien. Eventually he gained some control of the omnitrix. (I think this has gone back and forth a few times.) You think he'd at least have figured out that tapping the symbol would instantly time him out of a hero. Hell, his Grampa does it to him sometimes, or villains.

Rook is a good foil for the sillier teen Ben, seeing as Gwen is away at college. It also switches back and forth between Teen Ben and Boy Ben.

I also kind of liked seeing the Alien Population booming a bit in the underground. It gave us kind of a new environment to play around with outside of Bellwood. That was part of the fun of the first series, going from location to location and using the cross country thing to do it.

It's not amazing my any means, but it's kinda fun. They some threats that come, and take multiple episodes to half a season to deal with. I don't asmk for much from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

max4me posted:

I dunno i liked that generator rex cross over they did

It wasn't bad. I just didn't like Generator Rex. For a dude who could turn his hands into giant robot fists, and other junk. He was pretty boring protagonist. Most of the characters never really reached outside that basic framework.

He kind of suffered that same staleness that teenage Ben did.

Also, I feel the need to go back and watch more Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys.