Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh you would have thought they would have gone with Rocket Power or something that people gave a poo poo back then

Rocket Power should stay dead. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Super Best Friends was way too adorable.

As was Thunder and Lightning. They did a really good job with all of those shorts.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well this is a thing:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/big-hero-6-disney-xd-tv-upfront-1201720222/

Which is good, as the film certainly didn't have enough room to do the characters justice.

It'll be easy enough to get TJ Miler to reprise his role. It's not like he's doing Gravity Falls right now.

I hope we'll get to see them to to Kyoakland.

Though, the TV show they did for Kuzko was pretty bad.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Sleeveless posted:

Moonbem City looked amazing but nobody gave it a chance because they forgot adult-oriented animated sitcoms usually take a season or two to get good. :sigh:

To be fair, it's jokes were already running pretty thin by the time it got as far as it did.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Aww. The new Clarence had a not so subtle Secret of NIMH reference.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm hoping the writing team figures out what they're doing with PPG. It does seem to lack excitement to it, like it's going through the motions.

Every now and again, there's a cool little.. small thing. Like Bubbles refusing bedtime with anger and skull eyes, or Princess using an uber-like app to summon monsters attacks.

The unicorn episode was.. pretty weird, and confused.

People complain about the first few episodes of SU and Adventure Time. It takes a while for the writers to see what's showing up, and kind of course correct, or find their groove. Hell, even the first few episodes of Venture Bros (as well as the pilot) seem kind of off.

So far, it's not a Johnny Test low bar, but it's not anything more than, "A show that is on."

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

FilthyImp posted:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was arguably a Good Fun Series. And you have to love the RoboCop cartoon because it completely loving missed the point of the original (Just pretend it's based on the Robo2.0 version that gets pussified-by-committee in R2).

The 90s sequel trend (Let's give cartoons to Comic Series!) was also fun. Nothing like WildCATS and UltraForce receiving super toned down X-Men ripoff treatments!

HEY. Wildcats had an awesome theme song at least. Or at least, it was an ear worm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSPJZ-qlhA

I think it was added to Netflix with the Double Dragon cartoon for an incredibly brief period of time.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Honestly? The beefy bearded gal in the Roller Derby gals wasn't that bad. It was at least a clear joke, no one treated her any different compared to any of the other girls on the team. The unicorn episode was a mess from start to finish, and not really clear what exactly they were intending with it. It was just weird.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

El Tortuga posted:

I'm sorry the creators of Breaking Bad don't write for PPG, but it seems like this children's cartoon is being held to impossibly high standards.

Not really? You can have a remake be new, different and still good. The original had a more frantic energy, and a really clear idea of what it was. I don't think the standards are impossibly high, but the complaints about it aren't without merit.

I mean, we're on our third incarnation of Ninja Turtles. The second one from earlier in the 2000's went to crap but it took a while to get there and was pretty fun. The new one had some rough parts in the middle, but has been pretty consistent with the writing and tone. They're both vastly different from the first one. (Even the small movie they did between the Original and the 00's one where they turtles meet and team up was fun.)

Some of the Scooby Doo's have been more enjoyable than others, depending on the writing. The quality of Batman cartoons generally go up and down too, most people didn't like The Batman, or Beware the Bat, which tended to go after the similar kind of batman that Timm's series did, but in general people really enjoyed Brave and the Bold which is as quirky Silver Age as you can get.

Something can get re-done, and with a good quality of writing, people won't complain. The old will always be compared to the new, so it either has to carve out it's own thing, or be really concise with it's own voice and tone.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

X_Toad posted:

Mystery Inc. is apparently a classic, which ones are the good ones beside this one?

Also, watching Mystery Inc., it really gives me a Gravity Falls vibe, with the kids hunting for mysteries, the sheriff being stupid and useless, the episodic plots inserted into a greater plot, etc. I'm guessing it was easier for Disney to pick up Gravity Falls when the concept had already been proved.

Mystery Inc is undoubtedly the best you're going to get so far.

Some of the early from late 90's are good (Zombie Island and Witches Ghost) they kind of start going down hill after that, when you start getting one a year. The WWE one and the KISS ones are terrible, the KISS one feels like a horrible fever dream, where KISS are super hero aliens with actual magical/hero powers, and they fly around between dimensions of a guitar spaceship.

I have a great fondness for Ghoul School, and Boo Brothers, from the older style.

I also love 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. You get Vincent Price doing the voice of Vincent Van Ghoul, which is awesome, even though you get Scrappy, who got toned down if I remember correctly, but they added in Flim Flam. Scooby unlocks a box of deadly ghosts held in Vincent Van Ghoul's possession, and must go on a hunt with Daphne to catch them. It breaks the traditional mold of Scooby. Real Ghosts. End of the world stuff. It was a nice shake up.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I've never been a big fan of a Pup Named Scooby Doo.

It's okay? I guess? I didn't really like how they kind of ramped up stuff, and their negative personality traits became their only ones. Velma rarely talked, Daphne was rich, ect. Ect. It was a pretty 90's TV show, with the De-Aging of characters, and then ramping up their personalities (Flintstone Kids, Ton and Jerry Kids) all kind following the trend of the more successful Muppet Babies and Tiny Toons. It was kind of loud and obnoxious for me, I did like the Red Herring gag, though.

I did forget The Reluctant Werewolf!

The Venture Brothers also had a good interpretation of the Scooby gang, too.

God drat, those Mickey Shorts are creative and beautiful, especially for using flash. It just goes to show you what COULD be done with it.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Actually Mercury Filmworks (the animation studio that does the Mickey Shorts and a lot of other modern Disney shows) uses ToonBoom, though given that A: Roughly half of the crappy looking "flash" cartoons are actually made in ToonBoom and B: I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of the "non-flash" cartoons do use flash, but just draw things frame by frame like cel animation instead of the techniques used by both crappy "flash" cartoons and Mercury Filmworks's output, your point still stands.

You're right. I should have known that, it's just easier (and lazier) to label the flat, non-shaded, non-hand drawn stuff as, "Flash."

Looking at the ToonBoom site, it's amazing the wide variety of stuff they have on there, most of the difference seems to be how much they let the program do for them, and how much they still draw in. Even then, it's not the program's fault, but those doing the production as to what they do and how much they can do with the budgets and time they have.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

paradoxGentleman posted:

That one PPG16 Episode about the princess gets extra stupid points for failing completely at delivering the lesson it was supposed to teach.

This is an issue. They're not bad enough to be bad and silly, but they're not on point enough to really be honest, and worth having an episode about.

They just feel kind of tacked on, and a half hearted after thought.

Also, Adventure Time has been on a pretty enjoyable roll since King's Ransom.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

FilthyImp posted:

Lady Legasus was sure something. Probably one of the early indicators I'd like the new direction.

In other news today I remembered that, in addition to the RoboCop, Mortal Kombat, UltraForce and WildC.A.T.S. cartoons, Savage Dragon was given the "poo poo That Probably Shouldn't Be Animated But What The gently caress It's Popular With The Kids" treatment.

Don't forget The Toxic Crusaders. Which, should never have been popular with kids. It's barely popular with adults.

Edit:

I was feeling a bit of a drag in the season 6 Adventure Time too. There were just a lot of episodes that didn't feel like they meant anything? Or built too much on lore. It could be that they just felt like they needed to be spread out a bit.

Everyone kind of became unlikable, aside from Jake. PB was doing all sorts of lovely manipulative things and just digging herself deeper into that. Finn was a sad sack, or being kinda creepy. Jakes kids all kind of hate him because he refuses to grow up (in comparison to them) there are some good episodes, though. I really like Little Brother. The Comet was just weird too, it was supposed to be all big, but, it was so out there that I couldn't connect to it at all, and most of the second part of that season focused at least on part of the comet, and impending "change"

I guess this season is just repairing all the stuff what was broken the last season, so it might have been necessary? Steaks was great. Crossover was really cool. The Hall of Egress is back to that weird sci-fi storytelling/adventure. The Thin Yellow Line was a fun adventure that explores more of the Banana Guards and was pretty cute episode humanizes PB again. (Which kinda started with Bonnie and Neddy)

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 29, 2016

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Eh. You get your hopes lifted, only to have them crash around you in a burning fire, because well meaning people didn't do the bare minimum and hire a contractor first.

His kids could have been hurt. He could have been hurt. They over looked some pretty glaring issues, and it's not just a home, it's his investment and livelihood.

Good intentions only go SO far.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
That can be explained by them knowing the movie is coming out, knowing that a bunch of their other movies have been successful, and just wanting to do more of the same. I mean, it featured Falcon, who's nothing like the Falcon in Cap: Winter Soldier.

The pre-production and production of Avengers Assemble probably was going on while season 2 of Earth's Mightiest (maybe even season 1, which is why they knew they were getting the axe, and gave us the Galactus episodes) was airing/still in production. There was a pretty noticeable production value drop in Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest.

Movie production takes longer, they probably had a better idea with Guardian's of the Galaxy, to get the look down with the concept art and story mostly in place, and already being filmed.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
To be fair, Sakura didn't ever do too much either.

She was there at the final battle, and she did gently caress-all.

Her one shining achievement in all of Naruto, is being used as a puppet for a better Ninja to fight a ninja made out of puppets.

Shonen.. is not a good place for female characters.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJkvYf5GZI

I just found out about this.. this looks, really, really bad.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Well, end, as in reach it's finish.. not just.. dumped into a ditch, abandoned, hoping that people forget it.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Mad was WB animation. Though yeah CN also gave the

treatment to the CN Studios produced Sym-Bionic Titan, Robotomy, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and Problem Solverz

Plus Ben 10 Ultimate Alien and Omniverse both got proper finales if you count the different Ben 10's as separate shows

Kind of. But, I don't think Regular Show will be rebooted.

It feels like it's going to end-end.

Ben 10 will keep going forever.

Scooby-Doo will keep going forever.

I think that's the difference.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I need to go back and re-watch Flapjack as well as Chowder.

I remember loving Chowder's super upbeat, bright and colorful world, and the grungy, and weird world of Flapjack. (I guess those kind of both did get endings, and weren't ever picked back up.)

KND did, too. I don't know if those are from the same, new "era" as Regular Show, Adventure Time and SU.

I'll always be sad we didn't get more Sym-Biotic Titan. THE HAMMER. Netflix' Voltron kind of eases that loss, though.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I think they were successful. Making good amounts of money on a smaller (Compared to pixar) budget. 80 Mil got them 358 in return for the first.

Wiki says the first one was 45% on RT, 47% on Mta Critic, and Cinema Score says -A from people who saw it.

They kind of come in, make a bunch of money, and vanish from people's minds.

I don't think they're very good.

I do like the character designs for all the monsters, and the setting designs.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

raditts posted:

They're not good, but they're not bad, just perfectly mediocre. They're not painful to watch, but I'd never go out of my way to watch them.

Eh. The ending rap at the end of the first one was pretty drat embarrassing. I can't even remember if there's an ending song at the second one.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The brother in Welcome to the Wayne, feels like an attempt for a very, very PG Gene Belcher.

The show, feels pretty.. safe? It doesn't push dangerous situations all that much.

Gravity Falls opened with the kids getting chased by a giant monster (later revealed to be gnomes) but they were scared. It felt like a dangerous situation, that turned into a silly one. But, it lacks tension.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It's still a lot of fun, and a really good watch.

The ending was kind of lack luster, sure, but it was still a good ride up unto that point. Even then, the ending isn't terrible, or series wrecking. It's just not as good as it could/should have been.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Aw. Craig of the Creek was singing the Lil' Butler theme song from SU.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I am now ready to watch and edit an extremely normal box set of Dinosaucers

I might be a little jealous of you.. wanna listen to that awesome theme song forever.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm hoping we get more Craig of the Creek soon. It's been a long while since new episodes showed up. Considering how they just kinda dumped out a whole poo poo ton of OKKO in what seems like a short time.

I too miss Gravity Falls.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Edit: Nevermind. I should have read better.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah. Though she switched sides originally when she ran into He-Man, when he came over to her world chasing Hordak, who was I guess Skeletor's boss at some point? They realized they were twins after that.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I loved Hilda, I've been recommending it all over the place.

The colors, and the designs were great. It's just fun, adventurous and adorable.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The rebooted it last time with Popeye and Son. I won't be happy until this reboot is Popeye and Son and Grandson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWaPJReoBMM

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only explicit deaths are Omnitraxus and most of Rhombulus. It can also be construed that the few hundred years' worth of spells are dead, or their pocket dimension still exists unmoored in the multiverse? But does the multiverse still exist if the underlying powers that supposedly governed it is gone? And does it really count as murder to eliminate what is essentially a probability space? And Heckapoo said pretty straightforwardly that she might die, and that sucks because she was cool.

Well. There's Heckapoo, but when asked about it, she just kind of shrugged. She's probably lived a million life times, over a million years.

I kinda feel like Omnitraxus and Rhombulus were basically the old guards of magic, and often had a Might Makes Right philosophy that was often used by the old Queens. And when one did something the magic counsel didn't like, they hid it away, and picked a new lineage of queens they could control.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Amphibia is scratching that Gravity Falls itch pretty well. It's got cute characters, that are close, an old grandpa and a weird world.

I'm digging it so far. Even the opening is VERY much like Gravity Falls. You also get to hear Gravity Falls voices. Gideon's Dad is the town mayor.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Gaunab posted:

Anyone remember that show the Centurions where they had the three guys with armor; one was sea based, one was land based, and one was air based. It was peak toy selling cartoon.

I remember, very specifically, that they were fighting against cyborgs. Then the ground guy, got very hurt and had to get some cybernetic parts put on him to function, and had a weird crisis of faith about how he could be a hero, while also being what they're fighting.

I think my young mind was blown at the time.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Especially after Biker Mice From Mars of all things actually had a return to TV not too long ago. My mind was blown.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Oh poo poo! Netflix got Sym-Biotic Titan!

I thought it was gonna be lost forever!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Coatlicue posted:

Anybody else watching Kipo on Netflix?
I'm only on episode 4 but its AMAZING.
The animation the music the characters, evrything is so fresh and surprising and funny.

I loving am. I've been loving it. It's super energetic, and a lot of fun.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Korra also was having massive episode leaks, constantly through out it's runs where episodes were constantly on the internet well before their being scheduled to show on TV which helped kill the ratings.

I was okay with Korra losing fights. I think the first season kind of showed why, in that respect. She was locked away, doing specific training, and the bending world was kind of passing her by in that respect. Which is why we got the pro-bending stuff. We saw the progress of the world, how incredibly rare/not made up stuff in Aangs world become incredibly common place.

Korra was kind of sheltered and locked into the past, and was not only emotionally stunted because of it, but she didn't have the real life experience that Aang had escaping people trying to constantly kill him, as well as the problem solving that the Gaang had trying to get out of those dangerous situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

MorningMoon posted:

THE BOULDER FEELS CONFLICTED ABOUT FIGHTING A LITTLE BLIND GIRL

I would like more cartoons with Mick Foley doing his best Rock impersonation. Please. Someone. Make it happen?