Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regalingualius posted:

Wasn’t this the same live action adaptation that the creative leads of the original walked off of, though?

Yeah, but those same creators walked off the show for undisclosed creative reasons only to announce a major deal with Nickelodeon a few weeks later to continue the Avatar universe.

I'm fairly sure they only left the live action show because the Nick offer came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if there’ll be sneaky references to Amphibia and the Owl House in there…

Are the connections just cute nods or is there some meat to them being in the same universe?

Also, wasn't Alex meant to be working on a new show for Netflix for years now?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Larryb posted:

New ATLA clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z4YKGVwd8pI

The Bending effects look decent at least

This looks fine. It's about what I expected. A fire effect placed over live action footage with minimal budget to have them interact or integrate well.

It basically looks like the bending is sat "in front" of the screen.

But that's fine for what it is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Larryb posted:

Watched a bit of the ATLA remake and it’s…fine. Not Cowboy Bebop level bad but not One Piece level great either.

As you can expect from an 8 episode show it condenses a lot of the plot down (we jump straight to the Kyoshi Warriors in Episode 2 and the third episode moves the Mechanist and Teo to Omashu and merges their plot with the Jet story, which actually works surprisingly well)

That all sounds fine. Moving the Mechanist to Omashu even works with it's fall leading to the Fire Nation having the massive blimps we see in Book Three.

Whilst it's only 8 episodes the running time of each means its actually got a total running time a little bit longer than Book One of the cartoon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

They should just do original stories IMO. I was keen about the idea of them jumping forward again, which IIRC was on the cards for a while, and this "Aang Gang but they're adults" movie thang is a bit... eh, hows it going, you know?

If we have to get IP, then people should move forward, make bold choices, be radical, make new statements. I hate all this self-cannibalism. It's just circling the drain.

So, with Paramount basically making GBS threads the bed right now, all of this is somewhat up the air, but the story moving forward is still the plan and still going ahead.

In the works at Avatar Studios right now, all animated, is the adult Gaang film which is kind of a big budget relaunch of the animated universe to generate buzz. It makes sense to use the Gaang for this and to cash in on their popularity. There's also a standalone Zuko film in development.

Meanwhile there's also a TV series in development that is about the next Avatar in the line, an Earth Bender.

All of these have been announced and are said to have varying art styles and be cribbing from various genres etc.

It seems the plan is that the TV series will be used to move things forward and tell stories with new characters in the evolving setting, whilst the films will be used to tell stories about existing characters that are somewhat more "fan pleasing".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mycot posted:

We only have one wacky hybrid animal with the platypus, it's bullshit.

True, but it's an apex predator that's the size of a small bus!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Also it reduces the concept of yin and yang (which I think it's pretty obvious Raava and Vaatu are supposed to be) into a strict good/evil dichotomy which is not how those things work. I think that, for me, is the crucial thing that makes all the cooler parts fall apart and give season 2 the bad rep it has (and highly contributes to Korra herself having an awful rep)

Very pretty episodes though...

Which was legitimately weird for the show to do because so much of the Avatar's stated mission is bring 'balance' to the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

"The Sign" is also supposed to be about Frisky and Rad's wedding as well. People are freaking out that this means the Bluey show is ending because the main characters are moving and "shows end when main characters move".

I can't believe they would write this entire plotline just to escape the stigma of the cuckchair.