Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

I like the show mostly, but I hope they end the storyline soon where Lois and Jimmy don't recognize Superman. It's always been weird to me that the people close to Clark wouldn't clock Superman once they met him up close. Jimmy lives with the guy and Lois has basically hugged both Clark and Superman! It really undercuts the idea that Lois Lane is a good reporter for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

That anime/manga is very horny for its 15? year old female character and creepy as poo poo

Perfect for the Kids Show thread

Anyway, glad the Superman show moved on from the whole Lois being blind thing

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Beast Wars is pretty great and would hold up even today by modern standards if you can get past how absolutely horrible it looks.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

It's subjective but I'd say that the Beast Wars jank is part of its charm. Megatron's bottom lip making that weird V shape when he talks is seared into my brain.

CGI cartoons always age faster than 2D and even at the time Beast Wars looked rough despite being pretty groundbreaking. The only CGI cartoon from the 90s that I can say looked good for the time it released is probably Roughnecks. Rough nowadays but really impressive for 1999 and it was carried by very good art direction.

They definitely get a lot of mileage out of their janky models combined with some amazing "camera work".

https://i.imgur.com/NJ4PUBJ.mp4

Getting tempted to re-watch it lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

That explains why he's swinging a cricket bat lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

We call them cartoons

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Similarly, what makes Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt a male gendered show (seinen) and Sailor Moon a female gendered show (shoujo)? They're both shows with similar-ish set-ups -- and I seem to remember reading that the former was reported as being overwhelmingly more popular with women than men too(?) So what's the difference between them that causes them to be separated into differently gendered categories, and how are the traits that separate them not, in some sense, gender essentialist?

Er, are you asking why the show where the female characters transform while dancing on stripper poles and taking off their underwear is aimed at older boys/men compared to the show that... doesn't do all that is aimed at young girls?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Larryb posted:

New ATLA live action trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

I was impressed by the Netflix One Piece series so hopefully the people behind this can pull off some similar magic

Watching a cartoon 12 year old boy fight a war: endearing
Watching a real 12 year old boy fight a war: uncanny

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Wonder if they'll take out all the jokes about Toph being blind

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

2. did we forget that katara blows up at sokka for being a sexist jerk literally in the FIRST 5 MINUTES of the show?

IIRC this is what breaks Aang free lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Junpei posted:

Someone I know pointed out that it's harder to suspend your disbelief that a teenager could be making military decisions when they're in live action than in animation and I'm inclined to agree

Yeah, I felt the same way after watching one of the early trailers:

koolkal posted:

Watching a cartoon 12 year old boy fight a war: endearing
Watching a real 12 year old boy fight a war: uncanny

I tried watching the series but it's just waaaayyy too weird.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Sokka already got to the moon

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

My main reaction when I started watching Korra is that I am not interested in the Avatar navigating a love triangle and playing sports

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

mycot posted:

The ending of the sports tournament with Amon wrecking things is an all time moment though.

It certainly ended the sports nonsense although Nolan did it better IMO

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

So, like Star Wars or Star Trek?

They're already at electricity and giant robots in Korra's time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is just making me think of G Gundam, but with Bending.

The Tequila Bender