Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Every now and then when I watch my little sister I catch a bit of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. Here we have a single camera show shot on location without a laugh track, which in and of itself is pretty interesting. It reminds me a bit of Malcolm in the Middle (although not nearly as original or as subdued), what with the 4th wall breakage as the frame story for the show and the general setting.

Regarding Chowder and Flapjack, those are both amazing shows that follow up the classic animation tradition of using jokes aimed at adults. There was a Chowder episode set in Tofu town that was a pastiche of old Japanese yakuza movies, Bruce Lee flicks, and Kill Bill of all things, culminating in Schnitzel sword fighting with balonga dressed in a yellow and black striped sweat suit and a black mop top. Then he goes Super Saiyan. I couldn't believe my eyes.

As for Flapjack, there's an episode where he finds a pet rat that infects people with the plague. It was like watching Ren and Stimpy all over again.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Rueish posted:

I always thought this show was basically Scrubs, but for kids in a school setting. All the characters are extremely similar and the humor feels about the same. It was pretty enjoyable.
That's actually exactly correct. It even follows the format of two to three seperate story arcs per episode, unified by a single thesis.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Y-Hat posted:

I like how Dana Snyder, the voice of Master Shake, does the voice for Gazpacho, the mama's boy elephant-looking thing.
I like how the voices are completely identical, because Dana Snyder is only capable of one voice. Although it's a testament to the characterization, both in writing and acting, that the two are total polar opposites.

While Flapjack and Chowder are both great for injecting grown up jokes and references, nothing in the past decade even approaches Billy and Mandy in terms of subversiveness. They did an entire episode that was a flawless parody and tribute to Dune, which is more than I could ever ask from a show.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

hallo spacedog posted:

There was also a great Dune reference in the beauty pageant episode of Billy and Mandy. One of the parts of the contest is a Gom Jabbar test.
"It burns!!!"

Thanks for reminding me of that.

There was another episode where Mandy rides Kaneda's bike from Akira in a Godzilla pastiche. That was pretty good too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mobo85 posted:

Don't forget "Wacky Delly," which works on two levels: a satire of the animation industry, and the bizarre hilariousness of Wacky Delly itself.
It also works when you realize it accurately predicted the advent of Adult Swim.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Inspector_71 posted:

I will refute this by saying that Spongebob is better in that criteria. I would have Said Flapjack is better but honestly I have a hard time classifying it as a kids show since I don't know what the gently caress any child would take a way from it. I would see it being more confusing and terrifying for any kid than entertaining.
My 10 year old sister thinks Flapjack is hilarious, so they're doing something right. She sings the themesong when it comes on and it's adorable. :3:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Episode posted:

Normally, I can take or leave Flapjack, but 'Gone Wishing' is a brilliant piece of television.

"Never stop wishing, Flapjack, and all your wishes will come true."
"Even the scary ones?"
"Yes!"
Mermaids are weird.

Flapjack follows the lineage of Ren and Stimpy, Courage and most recently Billy and Mandy by wholeheartedly inserting the sinister to balance out the silly. That episode's a perfect example. As the two characters keep using up the mermaid tears, you actually get to see the mermaid decay and turn into a withered monster, and then finally thrashing in agony once the last wish is used. That's horrible but it comes in the same episode where K'nuckles wishes that his mouth was forever filled with maple syrup, then he starts to drown to so he wishes that he could breath maple syrup, and had long flowing hair. It's sublimely ridiculous, and the addition of the weird angle makes it work even better.

It's an interesting show, not one that panders to the audience.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
There are only two things that need to be said about Megas XLR:

1.) Bruce Campbell is a semi-recurring villain
2.) Stephen Blum plays the least Blum-y character he's ever voiced

There's also some pretty hilarious anime pastiches, including a parody of Captain Harlock which is near heresy in some circles.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

JethroMcB posted:

3) It was done by the same production staff that did MTV's "Downtown" circa 1999, which had the same visual style and even shared a character with Megas. They also took the chance to destroy an MTV-esque logo/building with a giant robot in most episodes.
Was that Goat the junk yard owner? Because he's also cameoed in Metalocalypse.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Episode posted:

Total Drama Island, and all of its horrifying spawn, are indeed from Canada.
That was a weird show. It was surprisingly risque, and it had a Napoleon Dynamite character complete with catchphrases, as well as a Deb character with the same hairdo.

No idea that was canadian.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Megas XLR I loved the pilot and was so glad they picked it up, but after a few episodes I got bored because they didn't really go anywhere with it. You can only make nerd references and "lol fat guy" jokes, get beat up for 5 minutes in the giant robot, then have Coop do a "OK, YOU X, Y, and Z, NOW I'M PISSED!" and press a big red button and level Jersey so many times before it gets old.
That's certainly true of the first season, but the second season branched out a lot more. The best thing Megas did was parodying a bunch of anime and japanese tropes, like the sailor senshi team and the S-Force parodying Power Rangers and Voltron and best of all a freaking Captain Harlock parody. When you look at it that way, it's hilarious because these icons of Japanese television culture get routinely beaten down by a fat and mostly stupid American in a robot equivalent of a muscle ca

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

thelaughingman posted:

So, any thoughts on Panguins of Madagascar?
Oddly compelling given how terrible the movies were.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Shadow The Rat posted:

Invader Zim
What's the popular opinion on this show nowadays? It's been long enough since it was canceled that the Hot Topic stigma seems to have abated slightly.

I always liked it not for its LOL RANDOM elements but for its bizarre vision of the universe, especially the Erkins who enslave planets and turn them into giant food courts and mail rooms and who have a heirarchy based on how tall you are. I think a lot of the more original and subversive elements of the show got sidelined by the viewership in favor of jokes about tunafish and mooses.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
That art style looks like Mac Hall.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That is the stupidest image I think I have ever seen.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mobo85 posted:

drat furries.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

404GoonNotFound posted:

All this Chowder chat and nobody's gonna mention yesterday's Phineas & Ferb special?
Complete with the most :psyduck:-inducing moment in the entire series.
Yes, Isabella is swinging a leek around.
Ha ha ha they even have a ganguro in there

That's magical.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
AAAADVENTURE!!!

So CN is trading in Flapjack and Chowder for Adventure Time and Regular Show?

Seems okay to me.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The best Flapjack episode is a tie between the one where Flapjack's pet rat gives everyone Bubonic Plague, and WEST.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Van Orman's kid is really adorable though.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

IRQ posted:

Velma isn't hot anymore, she inexplicably wants to jump Shaggy's bones, and uh, Scooby does too, Fred is obsessed with traps (this was actually hilarious taken completely out of the intended context, especially the "Traps Magazine" he was embarrassed about Daphnee finding), and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.
Uh, okay this just made me want to watch the show. I can't stop laughing at the idea of Fred being obsessed with traps.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Wasn't there a kid who bolted out of the entire temple when a temple guard caught him/her?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I really don't know what to make of the MAD show. On the one hand I love subversive cartoon shows, but I think a half hour format is completely wrong for a show comprised of 12 second jump cuts, and even within the context of the longer bits, everything jumps around so much that the whole show seems like it's on crank. I wish they'd tone it down a notch in that department; I like the idea of the show but kids are hyper enough as it is without having liquid ADHD shot into their eyeholes by the TV.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mobo85 posted:

MAD is only 15 minutes long.
!

I retract my statement and stand in full support of MAD.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

H-Tail posted:

That art style looks like some kind of webcomic.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Umm, okay, apparently GWAR recorded two songs for the Kids Next Door episode "F.O.O.D.F.I.T.E." That's kinda awesome.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
"Fred Flintstone's home" still makes me laugh everytime I read that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

tere posted:

Add Chowder and flap jack to that list.
How many seasons did those shows get?

If it was like four than I'd be satisfied because I feel like most shows can be comfortably ended in four or five seasons.

If less then I'm pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The problem with having female main characters in looney tunes is that the show tends to be averse towards abusing them to the extent that the Daffy or Bugs could get knocked around, exploded and flattened. Any curtailing of the violence inherent to looney tunes is a negative choice as far as I'm concerned.

That's why Olive Oil is the best female cartoon character.