Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
With the new looney tune show, my only question is why does it have to be looney tune characters? What about it requires it to be the original characters then some made up new ones?

I saw one of the clips and it was alright (the basketball clip), but nothing about it really said to me that this is totally a situation that Bugs and Daffy would find themselves in. You could have thrown anyone in it and it would be the same effect.

I guess its a dumb question, but it just seems weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Because Looney Tunes has a built in audience just because its Looney Tunes. It certainly wouldn't be getting this much pre-airing discussion if it was a totally new IP.

I guess thats it, it just seems really cheap. But on the other hand, the built in audience, I'm assuming, has certain expectations about Looney Tunes does so seeing them in a setting like this is weird.

My dad is a huge fan of Looney Tunes, constantly goes on how they don't make shows like that anymore. If I showed him this, he would just go "What the gently caress is this poo poo?"

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Concerning the new Thundercat show. There was a comment about it being too "anime" thought that was amusing since the animation house that made the original show later went on to form Studio Ghibli. Always enjoyed that factoid.

Honestly, I loved the original show, but I'm not to sure how this new one is going to be. As great at 4C stuff is usually, something seems off to me.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

I can't say I've heard that turn of phrase before. Should I be offended or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruising_for_sex

quote:

Cruising for sex, or cruising is the act of walking or driving about a locality in search of a sex partner, usually of the anonymous, casual, one-time variety.[1][2] The term is also used when technology is used to find casual sex, such as using an Internet site or a telephone service.[3][4]

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

IRQ posted:

I actually loved seeing Speedy return to tv, even if there's no way he's going to do his old catch phrases because "racism."

Which is ironic because they basically made him a magic negro in this episode.

The weird thing with Speedy was that alot of people of Hispanic descent really did like that character, the League of United Latin American Citizens actually tried to campaign to get him back on tv

But some executives said it was racist and pulled him. =/

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
The only slow and lazy character was his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez who only appeared in two episodes (out of ~45).

Its been forever since I watched one (always hated them) but pretty much ever episode is daffy or sylvester being an rear end in a top hat for some reason. Speedy runs around and outwits them via slapstick. The end.

edit: Seriously, I'm looking at the episode guide, its like Sylvester/Daffy is playing the part of evil _______ who is being an rear end in a top hat to the mice. They call Speedy who proceeds to wreck Sylvester/Daffy's poo poo. The end. Every drat time.

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 4, 2011

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Ugh, don't get me started on Tom and Jerry. I can't think of any cartoon that was worse. Which is weird, because slapstick is funny, but T&J was just the same thing all the time.

Only thing I can really remember from T&J was a scene when the black maid goes "OUT! O-W-T OUT!" which just sort of left me jaw dropped at the screen.

On a side note, I just realized that your avatar isn't a mspainted spongebob, but a haystack (?)

edit: At least we did get Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry which is pretty memorable in cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN38JLzkug8

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 4, 2011

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

Is that all one shot? That's pretty amazing.

Gene Kelly was amazingly good at what he does. Also a die-hard perfectionist.

quote:

"I watched him rehearsing, and it seemed to me that there was no possible room for improvement. Yet he wasn't satisfied. It was midnight and we had been rehearsing since eight in the morning. I was making my way sleepily down the long flight of stairs when I heard staccato steps coming from the stage...I could see just a single lamp burning. Under it, a figure was dancing...Gene."[2]

He also Debbie Reynolds cry on set because she couldn't keep up with him

mobo85 posted:

Actually, it was the other way around- the Speedy Gonzales cartoons were pulled from television because it was feared the character would be seen as racist, but it turned out a lot of Latinos actually liked Speedy and saw him as a positive character.

Yeah, thats the better way of putting it. Its a mexican character that able to outwit his opponents and always comes out on top. Its better then some of the other characters, for instance Pepe "Future rapist" Le Pew.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
The only good voltron remake that was good, was the one on MegasXRL.

On Tom & Jerry, I think we can all agree that the worst was Tom & Jerry kids.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

quote:

The kids, the parents and all you bronies!

quote:

all you bronies!

quote:

bronies

Ugh...gently caress this show :argh:

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Out of all the stuff Bakshi has done, they use Cool World as the example of his work. Poor guy :(

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

The original sucked

Blasphemy! The original are classics.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I wonder if its going to be another Franco-Japanese production.

Its weird watching shows I saw a kid and realizing how many of them were technically anime.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

I've never even heard of this one. Was it any good?

If you have netflix, its on the instant queue. Alot of people seemed to like it, haven't really heard any complaints.

From the couple of episodes I've seen, its better then most children shows out there.

Catchty intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcH_ZTF6smY

edit: One thing I did like was that it didn't treat kids as though they were idiots. For the audience it was catering too, it had some more "complex" themes and tropes compared to other kid's shows.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
So I finally sat down and watched The Looney Tunes. Its alright, typical sitcom style. Just echoing the idea that I think it would have worked better without the Looney Tune characters, its sort of distracting for those who grew up with them.

Then again, I suppose the show isn't really for those people =/

On a side note, The Regular Show is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

IRQ posted:

AD was always the better show.

It started off pretty rough, the first couple episodes are pretty painful to watch. Then eventually the jokes moved from "conservatives, lol" to "family who happens to be conservative that get into wacky hijinks" which made the show far better.

There's only so many times you can throw out a "conservatives, lol" joke before it gets stale.