Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I was feeling nostalgic and decided to put on an episode of Rocko's Modern Life for my daughter.
It doesn't really hold up that well. It's definitely a product of the time it was created in. On the other hand, Rugrats is still pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Don't know what the industry term is for it, or even if there is one, but bless all the TV people for putting jokes that only parents have the experience to understand.

It's so awesome (and usually genuinely hilarious) to catch some 80's reference or something that is over the demographic's head. Or have movies and stuff parodied that obviously the child wouldn't have seen before.

Billy and Mandy's "El Gado" or whatever dude based off Snake Plissken and Ash from Evil Dead come to mind.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Can anyone recommend X-Men Evolution or Wolverine and the X-Men?

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'm used to CRAP ABOUT LOGAN as he's the centerpiece of every loving piece of fiction he appears in ever. I think Joe Quesada once said, "Logan is on the cover of every book except the Bible".
My personal favorite is Gambit, which if I can remember right I started to follow because I'm a coonass from New Orleans as well.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I've been showing my kid some old cartoons periodically and it turns out she really likes Rugrats. Something so dark happened, it stuck with me.
I'm watching an episode earlier with her, and it's one I've seen, the one where grandpa takes all the babies to the museum. When they get there, grandpa starts flirting with two old women (Grandpa: "Actually ladies, pasta was brought back with Marco Polo from the western hemisphere. The Indians called it maize.":smug:) while the kids predictably wander off. Grandpa realizes they are missing, chases them, and along the way he destroys some museum property.

Okay, stay tuned. A character of a museum security guard is introduced, and her nametag is visibly zoomed in on, "Sally Payson". Towards the end of the episode, Tommy and the gang decide they should bring back a bone for spike and so they pull a T. Rex's pinky bone from the display. Sally sees them holding the bone and approaches them.

Sally: "You troublemakers..."blah blah blah"Get Out!"(not even "pay for this", or I'm calling the police after all the vandalism.. just get out)"Big Sally saved the museum again." :smug: Then she is crushed by the unstable skeleton of the T. Rex I kind of laughed out loud saying, "Big Sally is gone," but the kids go home and the episode is wrapping up.

While it does, Didi is reading a newspaper and the front page is "Museum Accident Claims Innocent Life" with a picture of Big Sally. The show went out of it's way to confirm she's dead. I felt so :psyduck: I just loving stared, speechless.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

flamedrake posted:

Not quite.

Jesus, thank you. I had the episode on while I was making dinner and thought for sure that's what I saw. I was pretty shocked. It sounds dumb but I'm actually kind of relieved. My first thought was, "Maybe Sally Payson was the name of the producer's bully when she was in school or something". :psyduck:

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 26, 2011

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Anybuddy got a screencap of dat Bugs?

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I don't mind the redesigns much, but Bugs being so close to his original yet a little off makes him look like a terrible Bugs tattoo, mall airbrushed t-shirt, or the side of some knockoff amusement park ride.
It's not even that the art is bad or anything! It's just like the "redesign" is so close to the original, my brain just registers as someone attempting to capture the likeness of the original and failing! I am dumb.

I also laughed at an idiot at the above clip, but things got really real when the Batman reference dropped. Hahaha.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
There's something just a little bit... weird about the whole thing to me still, but I admit each clip shared has been funnier and funnier. I can't pinpoint why I feel a little unnerved. The empty streets? The way the human characters are drawn and interact with the tunes? I don't know. I'll give it a shot, though. I'm convinced.

My favorite Loony Thing was still the movie where Daffy opens a monster hunting shop (it's basically an extended clipshow) and advertises "vampires evaporated, monsters remonstrated", etc.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
So I've seen probably 5 of the 8? episdes of the new Looney Tunes that debuted recently.

What???

It's so weird to see the voice of the Witch, who is the mom of the big red monster, who ALSO has a lovely voice. Yosemite Sam is their freeloading redneck neighbor?! There are some genuine laughs there; I watched the one where Daffy and Bugs go to jail for littering at the Grand Canyon, escape, and Bugs just wants to go back to jail because he had so much fun and was popular. :3:
The characterizations are pretty terrible, though... again, Yosemite Sam as the annoying neighbor. He should be shooting guns and being rootin-tootin. :what: All the songs are goddamn terrible. The cg segments should be cut. Daffy is really good, though. I liked in the jail episode where he's trying to pin it on Porky, asks him a question on the stand, and the answer is the most hilarious "Bu-bub-bupp-aaaaah-uh-bupbup" stuttering.

Oh yeah, Lola was pretty drat funny in her role.
Bugs: "Nice hair."
Lola: "Thanks! It's my ears." was meta as hell

Lola: I'm allergic to butter, does this have butter in it?
Lola: I'm not allergic to butter, it's pollen.
Lola: That's not true, I love pollen. Does this soup have pollen in it?
Lola: Mmm, you can really taste the pollen.

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 3, 2011

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I've been watching the new Looney Tunes with my daughter, and Lola cracks me up every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I was watching Looney Tunes with my daughter the other day and this song legitimately cracked me up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOo8aBv2tEI

"Giant Robot Love" by Daffy Duck

"he stabs you with his trident and you're deaaaad..." ruins me, maybe it's the backtrack singing it all peaceful-like. Lola also has a pretty funny song about Presidents (including Harrison Ford, Christina Aguilera, and President Godzilla) that is pretty funny but I can't seem to find. Lola is pretty consistently funny.

Bugs: "What do you want to see tonight?"
Lola: "Aliens."
Bugs: "Isn't... isn't that an old movie?"
Lola: "It's a movie? :downs:"

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 19, 2011