Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Any Canucks on here who have a consensus on whether Teletoon has any good original cartoons left now that 6teen is finished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

Total Drama Island, and all of its horrifying spawn, are indeed from Canada.

drat it, Canada, you used to export funny things like Leslie Nielsen and the late, lamented Phil Hartman. What happened?

We gave you guys The Raccoons but I'll bet no one watches that anymore.

And yes, Stoked, 6teen, and all Total Drama Whatever are from Fresh TV (which I guess is Canadian) and are all probably supposed to be seen as kid versions of... surfer type shows? 6teen is sometimes pitched as a kid's version of Friends which probably doesn't help it and I think the Total Drama series are supposed to be spoofs of the Survivor series but FOR KIDS you see. Maybe Canada should just go back to being responsible for the animation and voice actor supply of cartoons so we don't have anymore :tinfoil: rants like that one posted here from CN (dear god that was painful to read)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

Stoked (assuming this is the lovely show about surfers that looks like 6-teen) and 6-teen were completely irredeemable garbage though. Those were the same studio? Stick to comedy for gently caress's sake you idiots. You suck poo poo at drama. And cartoons should never be drama anyway.

Wait wait wait... those shows were dramas? Were we watching the same shows? If they were dramatic at all it was more drama for the kids so I don't think that counts as real drama.

I will admit Stoked is an aquired taste (and since it's the only thing on when I get home in the evening before the big boys cartoons come on, it's all I've got) but 6teen can be good if you're in the right mindset... or you have a shittonne of friends who act almost identically to everyone in that show (do I need to get out more or something? Or do I just need some better criterion for cartoons now?)

Also, Canada gave the world Babar when it was finally turned into a cartoon, and the good version of The Adventures of Tintin but post 2000? Yeah I got nothing

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Does The Spectacular Spider-Man count as a current kid's show? Or does it officially being axed by Marvel mean we don't care about it anymore :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

I care. That show was miles ahead of the horribly animated, poorly written Spider-Man cartoon that I grew up with in the 90's.

Sucks it got canned.

Spectacular Spider-Man, I mean, not the 90's toon that lived far longer than it should have, and then spawned a thankfully short-lived spin-off where Spider-Man goes to an alien planet full of anthropomorphic animals repressed by some authoritarian regime.

gently caress that bullshit.

soooo what's your opinion on the MTV one based off the movies? I only liked it because of its bitching intro music, and Neil Patrick Harris made an interesting Peter Parker/Spider-Man

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

Yeah, it was kind of like cel shading over cheap CGI or something. I didn't find it too off-putting at the time, but I would think that it has aged horribly since then.

Ha ha, you took the words right out of my mouth.

LeviathanGunship posted:

As for Marvel properties, does anybody else think that it's a shame Marvel can seem to scrounge the funds necessary to continue "Wolverine and the X-Men"?

Wait wait... wait. You're telling me that Wolverine and the X-Men is getting renewed, but Spider-Man, one of the most popular comics/cartoons/superheroes gets shafted? Come on Disney, the guy responsible for Gargoyles was doing it, you were sitting on a goldmine right there.

:sigh: sometimes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

Basically, they're pointlessly rebooting Spectacular Spider-Man, but only after Marvel chased off the top talent from the old show.

Soooo, I've never read a lot of the Ultimate series, but does it follow (kind of) the regular Amazing Spider-Man series? I was actually kind of happy that they were keeping up with Peter's original streak with the ladies instead of just chickening out and setting him up with Mary Jane in Spectacular Spider-Man

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Episode posted:

I've heard nothing but good things of the Ultimate Spider-Man series, so I'm cautiously optimistic that a good creative team can do an awesome take of it in the new cartoon.

I think the only significant difference I recall was just that Pete got bitten by a genetically altered spider (...like in the movie I guess) because everyone realised the silliness of a radioactive spider from the 60s (I dunno, genetically altered spider passing on spider-like traits to a human is about as implausible as a radioactive spider so who cares?)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Behonkiss posted:

ReBoot's good, but The Raccoons really isn't as good as you might remember it. I watched some of those specials a year or so ago remembering renting them as a kid and they were really terrible.

The "specials" you refer to were done sporadically throughout the 80s before Kevin Gillis got a go to actually make the show, which is also why the first 5-10 episodes of the regular series are kinda lackluster when compared to the later episodes. I mean, the animation changes from special to special and they are either really weird (The Lost Star just makes no loving sense outside of "introducing" Broo") or completely pointless (Let's Dance is just a clip show with music... completely pointless, but at least they didn't end the series with that poo poo).

Really, the only good special for The Raccoons was The Raccoons on Ice if only because Cedric was wearing an Islander's jersey and there was his hilarious exchange with Sophia
"Pop's threatened to throw me in the dungeon, and he also took away the CHOCOLATE PUDDING?!?!?!"

"Cedric, this is bigger than chocolate pudding"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Kipory posted:

They could make a Calvin and Hobbes movie, but that would result in Bill Watterson exploding and taking the west coast with him, I'm sure.

This reminds me of when Bill Amend announced that he wouldn't be doing Foxtrot dailies anymore so that he could pursue "other media interests". When I first read that all I could think was "make a cartoon, do it man, do it do it DO IT!!!". But, sadly, it has been 3 years and nothing has come of it, and his Sunday strips just don't have the punch they used to when you had a colour intermission from a week long storyline

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

soooooo any one watching the new Spider-Man series?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

It's the "ever webcomic male ever" haircut. Fortunately I had no interest in the show, because if I did now all I could see was Spiderman in loss.jpg.

drat, The Night Gwen Stacy Died will now make me laugh :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Is there a thread for superhero cartoons or do we just discuss that in here every so often? I had a friend introduce me to Young Justice and now I'm kinda looking to vent somewhere. I don't suppose someone can point me to the right thread :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cartoon Network has been cranking out a lot of hits lately, and even the ones that are cancelled have gotten to mostly finish their runs. If the worst you can say is that you still wanted more after the show was gone, they've done a good job.

Over yonder.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455166

Well, it's not necessarily that I'm mad because I want more, it's more issues that I had with the Invasion season as a whole. We've jumped ahead five years and we only really get to know about what happened in those 5 years through bits and pieces sprinkled through out the series. It has a pretty huge downer ending, but Weisman seems to love doing that in his cartoons and while I acknowledge the stones to kill a main character off it felt almost out of place.

That and keeping the heavy hitters for the JL away in court for the whole seasons seemed kinda :rolleyes: to me but hey, nothing is perfect.

However, one thing I did like was all the nice To Serve Man and Body Snatchers homages :)

also, yes that was the thread I was looking for and couldn't find for some reason, thanks

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Its been like five years, so I might get details wrong, but the gist of it is:

Zuko is on tour getting Fire Nation colonies off of Earth Kingdomm territory, when he suddenly gets boo'd pretty bad and someone comes for his life. He's like "oh welp, i knew some firebenders would be mad at me for giving the land back to their rightful owners" but does a spittake when the would-be-assassin turns out to be an EARTHBENDER. Because her mom and dad are different kinds of benders. Turns out this was one of the first colonies, and over the past hundred years it became its own peaceful city. Zuko realizes that this issue is extremely complex and decides to stay until they can solve it. Aang waltzes in and is shocked that Zuko isn't giving the earth kingdom their city back, they get into an argument, Sokka makes a joke about how he totally knew Zuko was gonna doublecross them all along, and probably more stuff happens over like 300 pages. Roku is like "Four nations, gotta keep the balance. KILL ZUKO." Aang doesn't wanna. Roku urges him even more, but Aang sees that these people aren't really fire nation or earth kingdom anymore, and that change could bring something new and good, that it's not right to destroy their way of life. Roku yells at him to murder Zuko and Aang burns down an amulet of Roku's to severe their connection forever. And that little colony grew up to become Republic City.

this series (was called The Promise, I believe) also had a bunch of people dressed like Air Nomads that kept following Aang and trying to keep the peace whenever fighting broke out. Aang confronts them to find out if he was wrong about being the last Airbender, only to find out they're just huge fans of the culture and have started living that lifestyle based off of archival records they could find. Aang throws a huge fit over them sullying the legacy of the culture and I believe it is Katara that tells him to accept them as a way to attempt to rebuild the air nation. Also the titular promise was Zuko making Aang swear to kill him if he suddenly went all Ozai, so part of the tension with Roku continuing to tell Aang to kill Zuko had to do with that in addition to Zuko periodically reminding him as things started to heat up.

the TLA comics had some really good stuff and considering how much of The Promise is basically just the set dressing to where we start in Korra season 1 (Republic City being one of the Fire Kingdom colonies, the air acolytes, order of the white lotus being a more present organization) I'm kind of curious if that was what would have been covered if TLA had gotten a 4th season

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

since the Voltron thread died back when the show ended I'm just gonna say that, having finished it this weekend, Lance ended up being one of my favourites and I'm sad that the resolution to his story was so lackluster compared to everyone else on the team. I mean, I suppose you could say they were going for a Cincinnatus type resolution with him becoming a farmer but to me it landed that he was severely traumatized by Allura's sacrifice and he's holding himself back now because of it. In a way I guess that actually makes it feel more realistic but I still feel for the poor guy :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the only real change they made for Sokka and Hakoda's relationship is that now Sokka's already done his ice dodging trial, and he absolutely biffed it. I would argue that his arc isn't "why doesn't daddy love me" and more "I have to accomplish something to prove he didn't do it just because I'm his son" which he absolutely does by the end of the season. The worst thing they can do is have Hakoda brush off his accomplishments when they are inevitably reunited.

Also, the stuff with Azula was already there in the original, what the gently caress are you talking about? All they've done is give us more time with Ozai to show off how much of a loving rear end in a top hat and monster he is (that and having Azula actually act like a 14 year old instead of a 20-something in the body of a 14 year old like in the original)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, that always felt a bit weird. Why do they need to spiritualize themselves for that, when everyone else does not? That was always the part Korra had such problems with.

Kiyoshi book spoiler: Her mother was a really explicit case of that. She started as an airbender and even got her tattoos. Later on in life became a criminal instead. This sapped her powers so much that she came up with those fans to support her fighting style.

Doesn't Zaheer's whole deal kinda disprove the need for spirituality? Motherfucker masters airbending and he don't need to visit the temples or stick to a vegetarian diet, or any of the other Buddhism-adjacent things the Nomads did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Gone the same way as the Bone animated series?