Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nah I started watching when Season 3 aired and enjoyed it.

Yeah, the back half of Korra is actually legitimately good and pretty much everyone I've seen that stuck around to get that far seems to agree, it's not perfect by any means but it is a major step up from what the show was like at the start.

To be fair, the disjointed nature of the series isn't entirely the creators' fault. Korra was originally going to just be a one season miniseries but Nick eventually demanded more leaving the writers without any real plan of where to go from there (which probably explains why the first season was so rushed and the second seemed like a massive step backwards for the franchise).

That's why the show doesn't really start establishing much in the way of a cohesive narrative until the second half. If they'd known it was going to last as long as it did (or at least that they were guaranteed one more season) they might have been able to plan things better and the show probably would have ended up being a lot less polarizing as a result.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At the same time, didn't Nick want it to be a longer series initially, and the creators insisted on making the first season a standalone miniseries?

Yeah, the story behind Korra's production was kind of a mess all the way around (though they were able to at least end the series fairly well). It's also probably one of the big reasons why we won't be getting another show any time soon (Nick doesn't really care about it and the original creators are kind of burnt out at the moment).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The big thing I wish there was more of from S3 and 4 is more Zaheer and his crew and more of the old Gaang faffing about like Old Lady Toph

Granny Toph was awesome yes, I do wish the old cast had been given a bit more to do though (I understand why they didn't as it wasn't really their story anymore but a few extra nods here and there might have been nice), almost everybody showed up at least once (even Iroh) though so that was neat.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 9, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I liked them a lot at least. I never actually got around to the last one, but I liked the ones I read. The first arc is all about the problems with decolonization when certain parts of the Earth Kingdom have been inhabited and ruled by the Fire Nation for over a century, which seemed like such a direct thing dealing with real political concepts compared to Korra.

There's also the issue of the time jump between shows, I believe Korra is supposed to take place like 50 or so years after TLA which means we don't really get to see the aftermath of the war and how the nations handled reconciling with each other leading to the world we see in Korra where they're all suddenly inter-mingled with each other (hell, you could probably do an entire series just dealing with that whole lost time period). So it's nice the comics are at least trying to cover some of that ground.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 9, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rewatching Korra after finishing one for the orginal show and out of curiosity, aside from Dante Basco as Iroh II and Greg Baldwin reprising his role as the original did any of the other voice actors from TLA return for Korra in some capacity?

Also in the story of the first Avatar was that Dan Green as the leader of the squad Wan was traveling with in the beginning and Charlie Adler as the lemur-esque spirit who was protecting the oasis? Because if not they both sounded really familiar to me for some reason.

Finally just wondering, but what exactly was wrong with Korra's second season? As while not great I've kind of been enjoying the whole Water Tribe civil war arc and Wan's story was pretty good as well. Is it because a lot of aspects of the first season are just dropped without much if any explanation and the characters generally act like assholes to each other at times (though then again, aside from Korra, Tenzin and his family, and, to a lesser extent, Lin none of the new characters in this series really clicked with me the same way the old cast did)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Two was they didn't advertise it at all. I didn't know it was back until the 3rd season was about to be dropped from tv. Then again, I seem to have dodged a bullet.

That one was more Nick's fault than anything else but I agree about the bad guy being a generic super villian type character though. The whole relationship drama got annoying too (to the point where at times Asami felt more like a prop than she did an actual character) but fortunatly there wasn't too much focus on that.

I'm not defending the season by any means, it's just that it didn't seem as completely terrible overall as I remembered (at least in concept if not in execution). The show does get much better in the final two seasons though (especially the last one).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

In the third season Grey Delisle shows up as both Ming-hua and young Lin, and Jessie Flower (Toph in AtLA) shows up as young Suyin. That's about it as far as I can remember.

As for the second season, I can only speak for myself, but in AtLA the spirit world was really only a supplemental part of the show's universe, so in order to establish the Raava-Vaatu conflict they had to dump reams of backstory on the audience all at once. Once the conflict was explained, the stakes for it were established to be so dire that it rendered every other storyline in the season completely irrelevent. Finally, Unalaq was never given any real motivation for wanting to become the Avatar Antichrist, and the whole eternal spiritual conflict was resolved with a dumb magic kaiju fight. In short, the season was written as a rush job and it shows.

Fair enough I suppose, I did kind of like the concept of the season even if it wasn't that well executed and the resolution was half-assed.

Though the whole plotline seemed like something that should have come at the end of the series rather than the midway point considering how dire the straits were made (though to be fair, like with the first season they didn't know they were getting another one until late in production. Which is why Korra is 4 stories (maybe 3, I think the last two seasons are a bit more directly connected if I remember right) mashed together rather than one continuous one like was the case in TLA).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

That's not fair, season 2 changed a lot of stuff by introducing all that spirit bullshit

As much of a rush job as that season was I will give it credit for 3 things:

- The story of Avatar Wan.

- The whole subplot with Tenzin and his family.

- Verak (the Howard Hughes-esque movie producer/businessman) is one of my favorite characters in the whole show.

Iroh coming back for a few cameos wasn't bad either, as was Korra basically restarting the Avatar Cycle at the end with herself as the new origin point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I just got around to watching Over The Garden Wall for the first time, it's a fun little series (it actually gave me kind of a Miyazaki vibe at times) with a great voice cast but what was the deal with that ending?

At first it seemed like they were pulling the "it was all a dream" cliche but then they did that epilogue at the end that seemed to indicate The Unknown and its inhabitants did exist after all, plus there were a few instances during the series where we saw things Wirt and/or Greg weren't present for, I don't get it. Though I suppose it's possible that last little segment could have just been wishful thinking rather than fact ("The loveliest lies of all"). Still a good show and worth checking out though.

Also, why exactly was this show TV PG? I don't remember seeing anything more graphic or suggestive than we saw in shows like Gravity Falls and Avatar/Korra (hell, Korra had a couple of on-screen murders and it was still Y7).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 16, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This might be old news but apparently they're moving on to making Legend of Korra comics now, the first part debuts in late July.

This could be interesting based on the description (as an aside, I've never actually read the ATLA comics, are any of them any good?) but we'll see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 19, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

raditts posted:

I recall an emergence of art styles that were aping Adventure Time when it was the big thing, only they all looked like poo poo because Adventure Time's art style only works specifically with Adventure Time.

Oh boy, turn of the century dialup internet speed jokes :suicide:

Maybe speaking "normally" is the version of a upper / middle class accent, and "like a duck" is like the blue collar dock worker type accent.
That's all I've got, I hate the nephews' voices too although I can't reconcile that with the fact that there are duckpeople that don't sound duckish even in the original cartoon, other than the fact that they've changed the way they sound from the way it's been for the last 50-60+ years.

Though come to think of it, does any other duck in the Disney universe speak like Donald does? As far as I remember the others all spoke normally even in the original cartoons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

These are so ugly and cheap-looking.

Why oh why did Disney get rid of the Mickey Mouse Works AKA House of Mouse people. Their cost cutting was sometimes apparent when somebody's colors were all wrong in one shot or another, but they were far better than this. This is like, "John Kricfalusi draws Mickey and Donald on some cardstock background".

And while I know that Wayne Allwine died, but if this is the Mickey voice that replaced him then Kingdom Hearts III is gonna be hosed, because he sounds more like Walt's amateur recordings playing Mickey in the 40s. I myself sound closer to Wayne when I put on a Mickey voice for small children.

His name is Bret Iwan and he's been voicing Mickey since 2009. I will admit it doesn't really sound as natural as Wayne's impression but believe it or not the current voice used to sound a lot worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

It's not Bret Iwan. It's Chris Diamantopoulos. They both voice Mickey in different media. Diamantopoulos purposefully uses the voice closer to the original Walt for his stuff. Bret Iwan does the stuff where it sounds more like Allwine.

Huh, didn't realize they had 2 voice actors for Mickey (I know they do for Donald). Is Goofy still voiced by Bill Farmer in the shorts or do they have another actor for him as well?

Iwan is the one that voices Mickey in Kingdom Hearts and most of the major Disney projects so you don't have to worry about that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 17, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm impressed at how on point the voice work is, it's like the cast hasn't aged a day since the 90s. So far I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Do we know when this is coming out yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

Voice actors that are adults pretty much can sound the same for years if they take care of their voice. For instance take The Jetsons, a lot of people don't even know there was nearly 25 years between the first and second seasons and all the voices are done by the same people and sound exactly the same.

Fair point. So have they said when this movie is coming out yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first issue of Turf Wars (the Korra graphic novel) is apparently out, has anyone had a chance to look at it yet? And if so, how is it?

Ed: Read it myself, it basically confirms that Korra, Asami and Kya are gay and that's pretty much what the entire issue is about.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 28, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

That feel like pandering, but whatever.

Well the writers have already said as much in interviews (plus there was the whole thing with Korra's ending) but this is the first time it's actually been confirmed in-series. But yeah, making it almost the whole focus of the issue still kind of feels like pandering.

The main plot of the comic seems to be about rising tensions between humans and spirits but it's not touched on much here (have they said how many issues Turf Wars is going to run for yet?). Hopefully things will pick up though.

Still nice to get something Avatar related again even if there's little to no hope of us getting another TV series anytime soon (especially considering how much of a nightmare Korra's production ended up being).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 28, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

I'm just going off rumors I heard about in some leaks two weeks back, but isn't there also some stuff in there talking about Avatar Kyoshi's sexuality and how Fire Lord Sozin outlawed homosexuality around the time he started the Hundred Years War? I also recall something about Zhu Li, of all people, challenging Raiko for the presidency of the United Republic in a later volume; does anything about that come up in what you've read?

As for the length of the story, I think they're gonna stick with the model they used for the AtLA comics and have each storyline broken into three books that are released over several months. I don't really give a drat about the spirits, Republic City or Korrasami, but I am a bit curious about future storylines. Something dealing with the Fire Nation is an inevitability, given how that was the only nation that was never revisited in LoK. The only thing I really want to see is a continuation of Earth Kingdom/Kuvira/Beifong family storyline, but after how poorly Bryke handled it in the actual show I don't really trust them to make anything better in the comics.

Here's a complete summary of the first issue for anyone who cares:

It starts out immediately after the end of the series. Korra and Asami are in the spirit world until an upset spirit tells them to leave. Spirits are not happy about the open spirit portals.

They then go to tell Korra's parents about their relationship. Korra gets upset when her dad says they should keep their relationship private

They arrive back in Republic City via Spirit Portal to see the Air Benders getting in a fight with the guy that owns the land. He's trying to turn it into an amusement park.

Kya tells Korra and Asami that she is gay as well. Aang was extremely supportive. Air Nomads didn't care about orientation. Neither did the Fire Nation until Fire Lord Ozai. Earth Kingdom was the only one intolerant.

Bolin is now a cop and Mako's temporary partner. Korra and Asami were about to tell them when Jinora shows up asking for help. They're being attacked at the spirit portal.

The leader of the Triple Triad is attacking the spirit portal. A spirit gets upset and attacks the leader. Korra has a choice between stopping the spirit and saving Asami from being attacked. She chooses Asami and the spirit disfigures the leader of the Triple Triad.

Korra and Asami kiss in front of Bolin, Mako and Jinora.

So yeah, not a whole lot to start with but hopefully future issues will be a bit meatier in terms of plot.

I personally liked Korra's final season though I agree it could have been better handled (Grumpy Yoda Toph was fun though and she probably got the biggest role in the series out of all the returning ATLA cast members). Though the original series had its mishaps too (like how Mai and Ty Lee just disappear from the story entirely after betraying Azula, only resurfacing during the epilogue portion of the final episode).

Hell, as bad as season 2 was I'll at least give it credit for introducing some of my favorite characters in the series (Varrick, Bumi II, Desna & Eska and. to a somewhat lesser extent, Kya), the Avatar Wan story wasn't too bad either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 31, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To the shows credit at least, I thought Starfire's design and characterization was much better there then in the actual comics she was based on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everdraed posted:

That's not how Donald is written for Scrooge comics though, he's a straight man who gets ragged on and is kinda cynical about Scrooge's excesses compared to the nephews being more swept up / trusting, and also has some of the best lines and responses. In original DuckTales he's just not there, because that role is pretty grating when actually voiced by Donald Duck haha.

I seem to remember Donald popping up once or twice in the original show but he wasn't a mainstay like he is here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Disney XD's scheduling for new shows makes Cartoon Network look sane.

See also: Gravity Falls, the show that took about 5 years to air two 20 episode seasons.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

Anyone else have mixed feelings about the Rocko's Modern Life reboot?

I really enjoyed the show, but I've seen so many properties killed by reboots / lovely sequels :(

Well it looks and sounds basically the same (all the old voice actors are back and sound exactly the same as they did in the 90s) and the preview looked ok at least. It might fall apart later on but right now I'm cautiously optimistic about it so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

It may have been bad but it wasn't that bad

well it's only a single special, not a full show

My mistake, corrected. But seriously though, has any show on Disney XD been scheduled quite as badly as Gravity Falls was (though thankfully I didn't see the show for the first time until it was already off the air so I didn't have to put up with all that)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

According to Hirsch, he and the crew sometimes missing deadlines was a factor (along with Disney's usual schedule weirdness)

most disney shows actually have a semi decent premier schedule outside of hiatuses (unlike GF, you don't really get any other disney shows having a single episode premier after a hiatus and then go back on hiatus; usually you get at least a months worth)

So a lot of the problem was more on their end than it was Disney's? That kind of makes sense since I think GF was the first time Hirsch had ever done something large scale like that.

Not that Disney is the only one with weird scheduling practices mind you, look at Nickelodeon for example. The last half of Legend of Korra was aired almost exclusively online (that coupled with the creators being burned out at the moment is part of the reason why it's not likely we're going to see anything Avatar related that isn't in comic form anytime soon) not to mention how they've handled stuff like the current Power Rangers seasons and pretty much any show on the network that isn't Spongebob.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

raditts posted:

According to Wikipedia you're talking about Treasure of the Lost Lamp, but somehow I only ever remember that being a TV movie, it must not have been a wide release.

I remember seeing it in theaters at least, it may have been a flop at the box office but I don't recall it being that bad a film on its own merits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think this popped up in Korra where a character had a relatively graphic onscreen death, but in reference to the event, people had to say the character had been "taken out."

Jet's death in ATLA was left somewhat ambiguous for this reason as well (the only real indicator being a single line from Toph). Of course then in Korra we got stuff like the villians from season 1 getting blown up, a character in season 3 getting asphyxiated on screen (which I'm guessing is what you were referring to here) and finally a character getting crushed to death in the last season (Avatar was surprisingly dark for a kids show now that I think about it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 17, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Don't forget the one whose head was exploded.

True, I'm actually surprised how much they were able to get away with on Korra (and ATLA to a lesser extent), maybe the fact that half the series wasn't aired on TV thanks to meddling from Nick had something to do with it. And that's not even going into other stuff like Bloodbending, Zuko getting half his face burned off, and Korra being literally tortured.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

I never get tired of this.

They should get one of those "everyone commits 10 seconds of animation" groups to actually put it together.

The ironic thing is that little segment is what got the show cancelled in the first place. From what I've heard it was apparently done as an April fools gag but Nick didn't care for it and actually canceled the show as a result.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

I remember Norbert went on to voice Salem in the Sabrina cartoon and Dagget famously voices Invader Zim, in pretty much the same voices. Those two alone pretty much carried much of the show.

And the Oxnard Montalvo Halloween special was wonderful.

Richard Horvitz(Dagget) was also the voice of Alpha 5 on Power Rangers (with pretty much the same voice as his other characters, I think the guy's voice is just naturally squeaky. Either that or it's a stage persona like is the case with Gilbert Gottfried), not sure if he's done anything recently though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Forget Darkwing for a second, THEY FREAKING SAID Crêpe Suzette! COULD THIS BE THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF DON KORNAGE?!

Little hard to do as I believe TaleSpin chronologically took place in the 1930s but I'm sure they could figure something out.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 19, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Didn't they commit the worst sin and not have the two best sonic buttrock songs?

4Kids replaced all the music in Sonic X (as was the case for pretty much every anime dub they did), which included a rendition of Live & Learn that played during the final fight of a story arc based on Sonic Adventure 2.

Though aside from better music and dialogue the Japanese version of Sonic X isn't that much better to be honest. Actually, I think the fact that it was successful in the west is why the show even got finished in the first place (the extra third season wasn't even aired in Japan until years afterward and even then it was only available online).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I believe that was the french team that got that through. Which explains why it was basically Space Battleship Yamatto by way of Sonic.

That would also explain why that season premiered in France first (the Japanese voicework was recorded ahead of time but the season itself never actually aired there until it was released online long after it had finished everywhere else).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember Bulk from Power Rangers?

This is him now.

What show is that from?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Season 3 was pretty great too.

For all it's many problems, Season 2 at least did introduce some decent characters at any rate (for example, Varrick is one of my favorite characters in the whole franchise and one of the few good things about that season). But yeah, Korra doesn't really start getting good until the second half.

This is probably because it was just supposed to be a one-shot miniseries at first and as such they kind of had to make the rest up as they went along (which might be why Korra herself suddenly seems to take a step backwards in character development at the start of Season 2).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

LoK sucked. That said I’d still really like a third series that takes place in the future.

I'm guessing another Avatar series isn't going to happen any time soon. The creators are kind of burned out right now (the graphic novels notwithstanding) and Nick seems to want nothing to do with the franchise anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And then in Korra we suddenly get several on-screen character deaths (such as being asphyxiated via Airbending, crushed by a giant robot, etc.) as well as a literal torture scene.

Not really sure what changed between ATLA and this to be honest, maybe because Nick wasn't airing it on tv anymore during the latter half of its run the creators had a bit more freedom to do what they wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In my opinion Korra has an ok start, a second season that's mediocre at best with a few decent aspects here and there (Avatar Wan, Bumi II & Kya, Eska & Desna, and pretty much anything involving Varrick), and then the series really begins in Season 3 onwards.

While it was never quite as good as ATLA overall, I still enjoyed the show a fair bit and it probably has one of my favorite clip show episodes of any series (the telephone conversation between the various main villains was particularly hilarious).

Speaking of Korra, is Turf Wars any good so far?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Katie Kaboom. gently caress that noise.

I didn't really care for Minerva Mink or Buttons & Mindy either, Rita & Runt and Chicken Boo are kind of borderline to me (I did sort of like the Goodfeathers but it probably doesn't hold up all that well now).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

It feels weird to think in terms of picking and choosing segments to bring back, because it seems really limiting to say they can't just invent new segments, especially considering how shallow some of their old segments were. If you're gonna restrict yourself to what seemed good on the spur of a moment way back in the 90s, you're gonna be really limited.

Pinky and the Brain may have become this big breakout hit, but I don't think the schtick of the Hip Hippoes had much more life to it. Mindy and Buttons was just another incarnation of the old old bit of a sleepwalker/baby in a construction site, but they did manage to find a lot of variants on a construction site.

True, they don't necessarily have to bring back everything. They could always just toss out what didn't work and replace it with brand new characters/segments, which would probably be for the best anyway (stuff like Pinky & the Brain and Slappy Squirrel could probably still work though). I'm pretty sure all the old VAs are still around so bringing them all back wouldn't be much of an issue either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Minerva Mink only had 2 segments before they mostly retired her from the show

Ah, I haven't seen all of Animanics so I wasn't sure. Nice to know that even the producers realized she was a terrible idea though.