Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fairly Oddparents is slowly dying out, and it probably will just be gone one day and never be seen again, since Nickelodeon doesn't like to give finales. Butch Hartman's already moved on, and there was that terrible live-action movie.

Spongebob was good back when the fact that they were all fish underwater meant something. The original creator was a marine biologist, but now every side character is just another fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That still doesn't make up for this.

Everything about that song is terrible.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

But let's not forget that horrendous EXXXTREME Ghostbusters cartoon of the late 90s. it's like they wanted to be as PC as they could get by including everybody, so they added another minority in the mix (the Latino slacker dude), a female Ghostbuster, and a wheelchair-bound paraplegic.

Good god. Look at this poo poo.

I wasn't born early enough to see The Real Ghostbusters, but this show was on at around when I was beginning to really watch TV. I only remember one episode though, where the ghost-of-the-day was using some sort of innocuous tablets as portals to suck people into another dimension.

Scared the goddamn poo poo out of me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly if a person made of butts isn't enough to win it internet respect, nothing will.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

According to Wikipedia it's based on a webshow and here's its website.

The animation's not that good, it looks like one of those boring educational cartoons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Behonkiss posted:

Figured this was as good a place as any to post my...find in a 7-Eleven parking lot a few minutes ago. For all I know this could belong to a goon, so my apologies, not trying to piss off anyone. It just struck me as funny.

I choose to believe that this is either a poor attempt at having "Brawny" on the licence plate, or the owner of this car is a great LeBron James fan.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What animated Disney movies haven't had tv spinoffs by this point? Seems like Disney does that for everything they've made since Beauty and the Beast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

raditts posted:

Saturday morning cartoons were on the way out long before Cartoon Network rose to prominence.

Then what the hell was I watching as a kid back in the 90s? :psyduck:

WB still has saturday morning cartoons, but it somehow merged with the 4kids programming block that Fox used to have, so it has Sonic X and Dragonball Z Kai, if you're into that, I guess.

Personally, I stopped watching cartoons on saturday mornings when Nickelodeon stopped airing Penguins off Madagascar at that time. :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Network's site hasn't needed a cable provider code since last I checked.

It's kind of a shame that Cartoon Network has had some really good bumpers and framing devices like Toonami and such, but they are the absolute worst at advertising their own shows.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sockser posted:

Well that's new. :sigh:

I'm not sure that I can suggest anything else or it may be :filez:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So all of you reminiscing about Toonami, Adult Swim seems to be running it right now as some kind of April Fool's thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched a couple seasons of Beyblade with some friends a little while back, and it's got the same sort absurd, ridiculous, stupidity that Yu-Gi-Oh had. It's fun to watch for just how completely absurd it all is.

I mean, look at this. They're so incredibly excited about FIGHTING TOPS.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I still don't understand why they bring the dog along on missions.

I guess it may be a wolf? It just sort of popped up in one episode, and now they're still acting like it can contend with all these superpowered people and giant monsters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems like this show might be deep enough to warrant a thread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's always great when a franchise that has been passed around the curb more times than you can count gets put in the hands of someone talented who really wants to do the best that they can with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle on VHS back in the 90s. Last I checked it was also on Hulu for free.

I feel that there are a bunch of references lying here and there that don't make any sense these days and I never got.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Amazing World of Gumball just has so much effort put into its animation. This show is amazing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Jabberjaw have a really dark premise? I think I remember something about how the surface world was too overpolluted, so mankind was forced to live underwater.

I've never seen that purple gorilla on Cartoon Network though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say the biggest problem with this sort of show concept is that most of the humor involved would probably be stuff that the kids in the target demographic just wouldn't get. A show's no good if it can't reach its target demographic.

PhazonLink posted:

I'll probably get flack for this but this sounds like something Japan could do competently with a non creepy writing team.

edit: Wow that short is bad.

It was sorta the plot of Ranma 1/2. Japan doesn't really do proper superheroes unless giant robots are involved.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Can anybody recommend kid-friendly science fiction that isn't goofy and has female characters who are part of the action? Basically, I'm looking for a more modern version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PQaYUryKQ

What exactly do you mean by not goofy? Most sci-fi shows aimed at kids is going to be pretty silly by default, and hard sci-fi is pretty rare in general these days. The first things that come to mind are Atomic Betty and the newer Star Wars Clone Wars series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sockser posted:

Atomic Betty was terrible. Thanks for bringing it up, rear end in a top hat.

I never actually watched the show, it was just the first thing I thought of when I thought of girl lead + space adventures. That sort of thing generally tends to be targeted at boys instead already, and there haven't been too many space adventure shows lately.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't say that I'll miss Young Justice. The show was way too serious for its own good. Especially considering how some of the villains were trying to conquer the world via addictive sports drinks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only way I can imagine it making sense is that maybe after 5 years the kids who watched the show from the start will have grown up and Cartoon Network has to get started on a new batch of viewers. Most kids stop watching the same cartoons after turn into teenagers. It also makes sense to try your damnedest to keep your lineup from going stale, but that's no excuse to kick out shows so unceremoniously.

Isn't it an almost universal consensus that the Simpsons went bad after [season I grew up watching]?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the same feeling whenever I'm busy hating Johnny Test, Level Up, or any of the other terrible shows that just won't die. Maybe I hate them as an adult, but maybe they appeal to the youth of today. God knows how many of the shows I remember fondly were poo poo.

Then again, I do remember hating Super Duper Sumos and anything that relied on "gross-out humor", and I knew that Captain Planet was the dumbest loving thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, they're all just people who go on to do peopley things.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

First Shezow and now this, who the gently caress is greenlighting this poo poo?

I imagine that network executives just aren't all that knowledgeable in the field of weird internet fetish culture. All we can do is hope that they go down in flames quickly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember SheZow!, which read like some guy's awkward gender transformation fetish comic that inexplicably got greenlit to be an actual show? Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPY3mq2xfco

:stare:

"She-mergency"

"She-hicle"

"she-larious"

"she-S.P."

"she-mazing" (you're not even trying now)

Kill me. she-oot me. :smithicide:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know what's a great show? The Amazing World of Gumball. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lTe9ScgNU

Also it turns out that the makers of the show set up a youtube channel for the dumb youtube videos the characters make. http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoreStream?feature=watch

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kids Next Door was okay, but the thing I never liked about the later seasons was how all the worldbuilding of the whole KND organizations was just made up on the fly, and it was pretty clear that the writers were all making it up on the spur of the moment as opposed to planning anything out.

There was some good writing, but I think most of the writers cared more about references and parodies than about the actual show they were working on. I haven't rewatched the show, but as I remember, something like 90% of the show was composed of parodies of movies, shows, and genres.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Old IPs never die, no matter how hard they try.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also the main character is Kenneth Parcel from 30 Rock except an alien.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The last episode of the Amazing world of Gumball is terrifying. Especially at the end where William only just realizes that he's actually incapable of speech

Of course, I guess they all get loving intense at the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It looks like they're going to break more from Sega's standard character models than Sonic X did. Look at that Knuckles! I don't particularly recall Cartoon Network having much of a history with CGI either, so I guess this is treading new ground for them too.

There's no telling how this will turn out, but for now I'm optimistic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never thought Phineas and Ferb would have a cameo from Professor Elemental of all people.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Annoying Orange instead of commercial breaks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The early seasons of Teen Titans were still pretty neat though.

I mean, Robin getting coerced into taking Killer Moth's daughter to the prom is a dumb and goofy plot, but it was still drat fun to watch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the Powerpuff Girls, but every time I see an old IP being dredged up and revived, I kinda wish they would just let it rest.

It was probably for the best that the show ended when it did anyways, it was kinda dipping towards the end, and the series the creator moved on to next was pretty tops.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really liked Mandark's flowerchild parents from the redesign, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Samurai Jack had a good run. It had a good 4 seasons, and if Jack ever was going to make any progress in getting back, back to the past, he'd have done some by that point.

Symbiotic Titan was canceled after just one season, and I'd really like for it to be resumed so I could see where it was going. They never even got a chance to go into Octus's origins or Lance's dad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toy sales were the cited reason for canceling Symbiotic Titan, but I think it's probably more that Symbiotic Titan is really weird, and it would be impossible to explain to an executive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The animation also had a really weird stop motion feel, and I guess everything was more angular because of limited polygons?